Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Fan Art:
Elf in the Woods (yay, original!)

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Feb 21 2007, 7:17am

Post #1 of 5 (672 views)
Shortcut
Elf in the Woods (yay, original!) Can't Post

Well, I tried an original, and I didn't do half bad (especially considering some of my other originals...)

I used the model http://faestock.deviantart.com/ on dA for reference, and I got the woods and the deer off of Yahoo and Google. This image is a bit darker than the actual (I blame the scanner). I didn't feel too bad about using references when I learned that many other artists do, too. :)

I have learned something very important from this picture... I hate trees. I loathe them. They give me way too many problems. They were designed to be a nuisance. *glares at said trees*

I also started this back in October or something, so I had to go back to a few places and reshade them... I may have not caught them all, though. Ah well.

Comments are appreciated, of course :) Critique too. I'm always striving to get better, especially since I'd love to do this for a living.

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

linkin-artelf
Lorien

Feb 21 2007, 4:01pm

Post #2 of 5 (311 views)
Shortcut
Regarding originality [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure what you are meaning by original here. I'm guessing you're saying that the composition is one you've put together from an amalgamation of references and not a direct copy of a picture or another's work? I think that's a step in the right direction for creating original work but, unless the pics are yours, not completely original. I'm glad you've acknowledged the references, many unethical artists do not.
As for the actual work, quite lovely composition and value structure. Interestingly, there is a strong contrast between the more stylized, angular form of the elf and the naturalistic depiction of the deer and trees. Was this intentional or a result of the compositing of imagery? If it's the former, then you make an interesting statement about the elf's disconnection with this 'real world' wood in broad sunlight. Her pose adds to that sense of trying to hide or find her way. At least that's what I see. Evil

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
"I walk along the shore and I gaze
At the light that radiates down
Will it travel forth to you
Far across this shimmering sea?"
formerly linkinparkelf

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 21 2007, 4:01pm

Post #3 of 5 (315 views)
Shortcut
I like it dark... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think you've done a nice job with contrast. I don't know how the original looks... I always have to adjust my scans in Photoshop... but I like the dark, darks. I never get things dark enough. Your deer is very nice. And I think you've done a good job with the eyes of the Elf. It seems the eyes must be right or you just can't accept the figure as alive. Does it seem to you that the ear is a little low on the Elf? Or was that a concious decision since she's not, by rights, human?

I have to say... you guys have much more affection and patience for drawing, than I, to do such elaborate work.

I think this is the second time you've mentioned using references and I've got something supportive to say about that. But it will have to wait a bit and I may make it a distinct thread so it doesn't get buried in comments.

Who ever thought I'd be hanging out in the art section!

no longer just aMagpie... I'm now *the* Magpie

Shadowfaxfan
Rivendell

Feb 23 2007, 11:15am

Post #4 of 5 (309 views)
Shortcut
Don't ever let the critics discourage you!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Laire,
I like your work especially your self portrait? I am thinking that is what the drawing is in your profile . In 2005 I drew the unicorn (he originally had a red body with green mane) below for my Holiday cards and got unexpected rave reviews. I use to draw a lot and sculpture back during my teen years. In high school some teachers really thought I had talent while others could have cared less. I took a couple of adult art courses through the county system and had a very discouraging teacher. I let her opinion and my lack of self confidence prevent me from trying to pursue doing something with my art work. That was 20 something years ago and what I have recently come to realize is that it doesn't matter if some people don't like my work, it is if enough people do like it and are willing to pay for it that matters.
I also put the unicorn below on Cafepress.com where you can upload your own art or photo's to put on t shirts, get made into prints, have put on mugs etc. I bought some t shirts with my unicorn on them and wore them to the Medieval Fairs and I wear them into town to get unbiased feed back from strangers (not friends and family) which has been good even though unicorns are not very popular lately like they were in the 80's.
I wish you much luck with your pursuit. Take care, Karen

Goldie Took
The Shire

Mar 4 2007, 10:29pm

Post #5 of 5 (377 views)
Shortcut
the trees.. [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually think the trees, esp in the upper left corner, are very nicely done

maybe that's a lot to ask at one time! you could try sketching various trees, deer etc in your book before trying to do a completed piece

but then if you are like me you like to rush into things Took style ;)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.