Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming & Collecting:
There And Back Again (Threadless T-Shirt)

reags
Rivendell

Apr 27 2010, 1:02am

Post #1 of 22 (862 views)
Shortcut
There And Back Again (Threadless T-Shirt) Can't Post

Greetings all from Sydney!

I've always been a Tolkien fan so I couldn't resist designing a Threadless shirt based on LOTR and I'm glad to say that my design was chosen (hooray) and is now up for grabs in case anyone is keen :)

My aim of this design was to bring Tolkien's world closer to ours in a modernized fashion. This became plausible when my curiosity for the London Underground and Sydney's CityRail's designed communication pieces got me thinking 'What if....'

Before I knew it, I started mentally picturing roads and locations on Middle Earth maps as railway lines and stations!

From concept to completion, this piece has taken around a month, with the last addition being the 'London Tube' font which adds a layer of authenticity. Being restricted to 8 colours was a challenge, but a fun one at that. I have selected the most prominent colours of major global railway maps with the addition of brown to compliment the orange as Gondor and Rohan have historic ties.

If a ninth colour were possible, I would add a light blue and include one or more major rivers in Middle Earth, but that will perhaps be a side project as for now it's break time!

Here's the link to Threadless...

http://www.threadless.com/...There_and_Back_Again

...and the link to a high res version of the design for those who are keen on the detail work...

http://www.mediafire.com/...zyftjmfz&thumb=4

Thanks everyone!
Reagan

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Apr 27 2010, 1:05am)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 27 2010, 1:07am

Post #2 of 22 (543 views)
Shortcut
Sorry reags, [In reply to] Can't Post

I had to remove the image as it's way oversized (as per TORN 201). But the shirt is pretty rocking! Well done on the design!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Apr 27 2010, 1:11am

Post #3 of 22 (544 views)
Shortcut
Now THAT is cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

Might just have to buy that shirt... Nice work!

'There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of my fridge...'

'You never know what will happen next, when once you get mixed up with TORnsibs and their friends.'

reags
Rivendell

Apr 27 2010, 1:24am

Post #4 of 22 (582 views)
Shortcut
all is well [In reply to] Can't Post

No problem at all (sorry about the oversized pic) :)

Thanks for the kind words!

Nimloth
Lorien

Apr 27 2010, 3:47am

Post #5 of 22 (776 views)
Shortcut
That's very clever [In reply to] Can't Post

Nice work reags.

Patty
Immortal

May 11 2010, 5:34am

Post #6 of 22 (509 views)
Shortcut
I'm just now seeing this... [In reply to] Can't Post

and it is so cool. Reminds me of the TORn map in a way.

Permanent address: Into the West

reags
Rivendell

May 11 2010, 5:44am

Post #7 of 22 (522 views)
Shortcut
map [In reply to] Can't Post

oh nice, do you have a link to that map? I'd love to check it out :)

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson."

Patty
Immortal

May 11 2010, 6:08am

Post #8 of 22 (619 views)
Shortcut
It's a little late tonight and I'm on my way to bed, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll try to search out a link for it tomorrow.

Basically, it was a map of the TORn messageboards that was done a couple of years ago to thank Altaira and her hubby BG for all the work they did bringing the new TORn messageboards to fruition. It has points on the map that are actually events, places and things connected to and found on TORn. It was designed and drawn by Daniel Reeve, and many of us got copies. Check back later, and I'll try to find a link to it if any pictures are still able to be accessed.

And welcome!

Magpie
Immortal

May 11 2010, 1:35pm

Post #9 of 22 (530 views)
Shortcut
here's a link [In reply to] Can't Post

to the post with a photo

(hee hee... those photos break so many rules! don't do that now)

That entire thread is about the event.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Patty
Immortal

May 11 2010, 3:40pm

Post #10 of 22 (523 views)
Shortcut
Thanks so much, Magpie! / [In reply to] Can't Post

MrCere
Sr. Staff

May 11 2010, 5:36pm

Post #11 of 22 (535 views)
Shortcut
Well done AND . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

If you ever want to design a shirt for TheOneRing.net, please let me know. We are not-for-profit and we probably don't pay well but we love brilliant ideas like yours!

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

Patty
Immortal

May 11 2010, 5:53pm

Post #12 of 22 (551 views)
Shortcut
I just took the time to look through all this again. [In reply to] Can't Post

Awesome. Just awesome.

i may take a page out of weaver's book and do some strong hints to family about what i want for my birthday next month. I want my map framed.

Legalize_Athelas
Lorien

May 11 2010, 7:31pm

Post #13 of 22 (474 views)
Shortcut
What I wouldn't give to take the commuter train home to Lake Evendim... // [In reply to] Can't Post

Got Necroquestions? I'll give you Necromanswers.

Patty
Immortal

May 11 2010, 7:38pm

Post #14 of 22 (555 views)
Shortcut
Hey Regan, do you do other colors in this shirt? [In reply to] Can't Post

P.M. me when you get some more 2xs in.

reags
Rivendell

May 11 2010, 11:02pm

Post #15 of 22 (546 views)
Shortcut
hello [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
to the post with a photo

(hee hee... those photos break so many rules! don't do that now)

That entire thread is about the event.

Oh my goodness, that map is stunning! :o Seriously with that level of skill it could be easily designed for cover/content art for LOTR DVD sets, etc.!

As for designing for this site, I'd love to (if any inspiration occurs of course unless you have any?) =)

Patty: Sure thing I will let you know

In regards to colors, at present they'll all be in white as after experimenting white was the easiest for text legibility.

As for prints, I've had many people request this as Threadless haven't made prints as yet. So if anyone is keen you're all more than welcome to drop me an email at reags@exemail.com.au and I'll add you to the list :)

On a site note, has anyone here played LOTRO? Absolutely loved that game...had to break away from it as it was highly addictive!

Cheers everyone

Legalize_Athelas
Lorien

May 12 2010, 3:06am

Post #16 of 22 (829 views)
Shortcut
Ooo! You betcha! [In reply to] Can't Post

Why yes, I have played Lotro. Why yes, I do play Lotro ridiculously often. Why yes, I'd love to answer any lotro questions you may have!

Sorry for running off topic here, but you asked a question, and I felt obligated to reply. Laugh

And yes, that map IS stunning. I'm a newbie here on the boards and I can see why folks were shedding tears over that thing. Glorious. You're right that the map could easily be used for a DVD set, as the fellow who drew it (correct me if I'm wrong) also drew the maps for PJ's movies. What a good sport.

-LA

Got Necroquestions? I'll give you Necromanswers.

reags
Rivendell

May 12 2010, 11:00pm

Post #17 of 22 (1065 views)
Shortcut
LOTRO and sorts [In reply to] Can't Post

Not sure if this will help anyone who might be after a woman's size XL shirt - there's one left (looks like someone may have previously purchased a wrong size and returned it) so get in quick :)

http://www.threadless.com/product/2293/There_and_Back_Again

LA - I loved LOTRO bigtime (was on Brandywine server) but had to seriously drag myself away from the game as I was addicted to the point where I started sleeping US hours (I'm here in Sydney AU)! Fantastic game and now whenever I watch the movie I'm reminded of my adventures online...ah good times!
What's the latest raid in LOTRO by the way? (I quit right at the time when The Rift was big).

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

May 17 2010, 5:28pm

Post #18 of 22 (490 views)
Shortcut
Mind the gap! [In reply to] Can't Post

Of Rohan, that is.

This is a great fusion of an icon of English graphical/information design with an icon of English literature. Very nicely done indeed!

With caffeine, all things are possible.

The pity of Bilbo will screw up the fate of many.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

reags
Rivendell

May 18 2010, 12:49am

Post #19 of 22 (448 views)
Shortcut
Round two [In reply to] Can't Post

Ha that's a clever line I like! ;)

Well I've just received an email from Threadless and I've revised the logo as they were contacted by London Underground so it needs to be modified.

Here's the new link -

http://www.mediafire.com/i/?mimu0jzqzkj

Personally I kind of like the new one more than the original. It's a subtle implication of Sauron's Eye :)

Cheers

Leviathan's Bane
Rivendell

May 27 2010, 9:03pm

Post #20 of 22 (541 views)
Shortcut
Great work of art [In reply to] Can't Post

First off, dig the shirt! It's a great mix of the Modern with the Middle-Earth. Very sharp.

My only drawback is that the text is very small and difficult to read. If you were able to make the text larger/more intelligible, you would have me (and I'm sure many other people) sold on it.

A TORn apparel line would be squee[t]! "Yea" or "Nay" on a TORn merch section?!

reags
Rivendell

May 28 2010, 12:38am

Post #21 of 22 (606 views)
Shortcut
Tee [In reply to] Can't Post

For those who missed out, there's a small restock available now -

http://www.threadless.com/product/2293/There_and_Back_Again

In regards to the text print size - it's more than legible when you see the shirt in person (I'm wearing it right now) :)

cheers everyone

reags
Rivendell

Jun 24 2010, 4:36am

Post #22 of 22 (552 views)
Shortcut
A toast to you! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you all for your support in regards to this tee design as it recently won Bestee of the Month (April)!

Yesterday I had a large print of this custom made and mounted (1200x800mm) which now sits proudly on my wall :)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.