Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Did You Ever Notice... Sam's Fellowship Costume?

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

May 1 2010, 3:52am

Post #1 of 19 (10463 views)
Shortcut
Did You Ever Notice... Sam's Fellowship Costume? Can't Post

Sam's costume is a lot like the other Hobbit costumes, but with some subtle differences that mark him as lower/working class. He wears a linen shirt, short pants, a striped vest, and a jacket. There's little decoration in his costume and the fabrics are of a poorer quality.

Unlike the other Hobbits, there's no lapel on Sam's jacket. I love that little difference. Lapels take a little more time and a little more fabric and would raise the price of the garment.

Frodo's vest is velvet and Merry's is a quilted fabric, but Sam's only has a simple woven stripe.

But of course, nothing is as simple as it seems. Ngila and her crew knew from the beginning that they would need to have 2 fabrics made for the vest, one big and one small. You can see the two fabrics together in the front right of this shot:

And speaking of scale:

So, any thoughts?

As always, you can find more details over at AlleyCatScratch.

Did You Ever Notice? is a running series taking a look at some of the costumes of LOTR. It appears on no particular day and follows no particular order. Look for it when you see it. You can always find previous discussions over at my Costume Discussion Archive.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive
The Screencap of the Day Schedule for May

GAndyalf
Valinor

May 1 2010, 5:17am

Post #2 of 19 (4854 views)
Shortcut
I may have to get a good machine and serger... [In reply to] Can't Post

And "moonlight" a bit! Thanks for the peek!

"Be good, be careful, have fun, don't get arrested!"
---Marcia Michelle Alexander Hamilton, 7 Nov 1955 - 19 Nov 2009

sample

weaver
Half-elven

May 1 2010, 5:25pm

Post #3 of 19 (4723 views)
Shortcut
I never thought about the pots! [In reply to] Can't Post

But yes, they'd have to do duplicate sets of those, too...and you know, you never even get to really see all of them...wow.

Those clothes to me are as much "Sam" as that Ranger outfit is "Strider" -- they are the kind of costumes that tell a story in themselves, aren't they?

Thanks for another great installment -- keep 'em coming (as you can, of course!)

Weaver

sample

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

May 1 2010, 9:42pm

Post #4 of 19 (4679 views)
Shortcut
Nice spotting on the Ngila photo! [In reply to] Can't Post

How many times have I seen this shot in the appendices ... and never once spotted the two-sized striped material front and centre? You've got good eyes A.d.!

Doesn't Sam's outfit just look utterly comfortable? Sure the Elven dresses are gorgeous but those long sleeves would be a pain; whereas the Hobbit outfits are like the baby bear's porridge - "Just right".

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Gene_Beane
The Shire

May 1 2010, 11:27pm

Post #5 of 19 (4752 views)
Shortcut
Subject Title [In reply to] Can't Post

Doesn't Sam's outfit just look utterly comfortable? Sure the Elven dresses are gorgeous but those long sleeves would be a pain; whereas the Hobbit outfits are like the baby bear's porridge - "Just right".

The sleeves on their dresses or robes I could manage (yes, they'd be utterly annoying to pull up all the time, but still...), its the utter length of some of their outfits for the lower body that would cause me to trip over my own feet a hundred times over.

Otherwise, Samwise's attire does look just a little more comfortable, multi-purpose or breathable as opposed to most hobbit attire (at least compared to Frodo's).

"Stand for what you believe in. Even if it means you stand alone."

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

May 2 2010, 12:38pm

Post #6 of 19 (5111 views)
Shortcut
Sam -- my favorite character! [In reply to] Can't Post

The costume certainly does say working class!

I have wondered since I saw the movies if they actually made Sean fall backward onto those pots when he stopped Frodo from putting on the ring in front of the Nazgul.

Love these posts Arwen's Daughter!

sample

ShyElf
Lorien

May 3 2010, 5:47pm

Post #7 of 19 (4702 views)
Shortcut
Love these! [In reply to] Can't Post

Just wanted to tell you that your "did you ever notice" posts are among my favorites here. You always point out something I've missed - like the stripes...and the pots!

Always a pleasure to read! Thanks!

Cheers!

Lothlorian
Lorien

May 4 2010, 6:33pm

Post #8 of 19 (4669 views)
Shortcut
Never with your eagle eyes! [In reply to] Can't Post

I enjoy this series immensely - I like to fiddle with costumes for my dolls - sorry, ahem - action figures . . .

I've often felt sorry for Sam in his utilitarian clothes; but always aware of that very first rule of fashion - the better it looks the harder it is to wear!

Did NOT give the scale thing a secnd thought! Wow!

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

May 7 2010, 9:35pm

Post #9 of 19 (4688 views)
Shortcut
I've always liked the stitching on the shirt collar. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's rustic, yet decorative.

I hadn't looked carefully at the vest though; thanks for pointing out the stripes. Hmmm, they say vertical stripes are slimming, but I'm assuming a hobbit wouldn't be concerned about that.

It looks like the stripes are matched on the pocket flaps, so they may have needed extra fabric for that even though they saved some in the jacket.

Overall, a great look.

"I deemed it the worst part of all my journey, the road back, watching him day and night, making him walk before me with a halter on his neck, gagged, until he was tamed by lack of drink and food, driving him ever towards Mirkwood."

GAndyalf
Valinor

May 10 2010, 3:10am

Post #10 of 19 (4643 views)
Shortcut
"No sir! We didn't see you playing with your dolls again!"// [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

Lothlorian
Lorien

May 10 2010, 11:08am

Post #11 of 19 (4664 views)
Shortcut
acion figures! [In reply to] Can't Post

because they're manly and dolls of course, are femine . . . Wink

GAndyalf
Valinor

May 10 2010, 1:16pm

Post #12 of 19 (4625 views)
Shortcut
I was quoting Space Balls again... [In reply to] Can't Post

Dark Helmet was playing with his "action figures"... Dolls is dolls. My son had (when he was home) a doll he loved very much as she was part of "his team" (the bunch of toys he took to bed with him, mostly stuffed critters, but "baby" was among them as well).

sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 10 2010, 1:57pm

Post #13 of 19 (4622 views)
Shortcut
Oh! I've missed these :D [In reply to] Can't Post

It's been forever (it feels) since I've been here... and now I'm welcomed bact by Sam! *geeky hand-clapping*

I love the Shire outfits of the hobbits the most. And Sam's really is different than the others; but his is more practical. He's the only one with a woolen coat... the others are fabric... except for Pippin's scarf. Sam's clothes are definitely less colourful, but very earthy.. which is perfect for a gardener :)

I love the scale of his pack. Cripes... I love his pack altogether... complete with the clanking pans! I remember when I saw the scale sets at the exhibit in Indianapolis... I couldn't help but tear up. So wonderful!

Thanks for these Arwen's daughter! These are always extraordinary :)

sample

sample sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Lothlorian
Lorien

May 10 2010, 4:39pm

Post #14 of 19 (4652 views)
Shortcut
I keep missing your lobbed balls! [In reply to] Can't Post

I stank at Tennis anyway - poor dad gave up trying to teach me - he finally said it was good enough to just get out into the sunshine (vs inside a book!).

Patty
Immortal

May 10 2010, 4:51pm

Post #15 of 19 (4635 views)
Shortcut
I never noticed the differences that harken to Sam's poorer status... [In reply to] Can't Post

at least, not in detail. But the overall impression does stand out. Kudos to Ngila for that. And to you for pointing it out.

Permanent address: Into the West

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

May 11 2010, 1:44am

Post #16 of 19 (4648 views)
Shortcut
True about the striped pocket flaps [In reply to] Can't Post

They were a little extra work and a little extra fabric.

I wonder if Sam's mother made it for him, and never found any need for lapels on jackets. Or if Sam blew his allowance on the nicer vest. Cool

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

May 11 2010, 1:47am

Post #17 of 19 (4657 views)
Shortcut
His coat looks warm doesn't it? [In reply to] Can't Post

Perfect for a hobbit out with his garden in the early Fall.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

(This post was edited by Arwen's daughter on May 11 2010, 1:48am)

GAndyalf
Valinor

May 13 2010, 3:02am

Post #18 of 19 (4660 views)
Shortcut
Good to know... [In reply to] Can't Post

you weren't on the SWAT team! Tongue

sample

tolkiennerd
Lorien

Aug 23 2010, 7:00pm

Post #19 of 19 (4586 views)
Shortcut
Sam's vest [In reply to] Can't Post

I had bought some fabric a few months ago to make a vest for war of 1812 reenacting and just noticed it's almost the same as Sam's.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.