Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Trilogy Marathon and Hobbit discussion this Saturday on TORn

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Apr 26 2010, 6:54pm

Post #1 of 18 (1077 views)
Shortcut
Trilogy Marathon and Hobbit discussion this Saturday on TORn Can't Post

Founder's Day fun continues this weekend with the Sixth Annual Lord of the Rings Extended Edition Trilogy Marathon! (phew, that's a long title!)

Join us Saturday, May 1, beginning at 9 a.m. EDT. in TORn's chatroom "Barliman's" as people from around the world sit down at their computers with one common goal: to virtually gather with other fans to watch all three Lord of the Ring extended editions straight through. Geeky? Yes. Fun? Absolutely. Find all the details on our Marathon FAQ.

But that's not all! Also on Saturday night Barliman's will be holding a special Hobbit discussion between "The Two Towers" and "Return of the King." (approx. 5:30 p.m.):

Speculation and anticipation are mounting among Lord of the Rings fans as news about the Hobbit continues to dribble out. With scripts for the two films drafted, but the project still awaiting the studio greenlight, TORn's Hall of Fire returns to host a discussion asking "what next?" What can we expect to see in the films? Who will take the lead role? And will it be wall-to-wall dwarves, or will there be additions and casualties? Come along, and bring your own for discussion!

So please join us on the TORn IRC server this Saturday for two very special events! Read more

weaver
Half-elven

Apr 27 2010, 12:10am

Post #2 of 18 (684 views)
Shortcut
now that will be a great grand finale! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for adding this to our festivities this year!

Weaver

sample

Demosthenes
Sr. Staff

Apr 27 2010, 12:19am

Post #3 of 18 (688 views)
Shortcut
Plus Trollkien trivia [In reply to] Can't Post

Plus we have a Troll ... [i]Tol[/i]kien trivia channel where one can match one's wits against the wisdom of master Elrond and his 900-odd questions about book and film.

It's cool.

No, really.

Words With Pictures

maegwen
Sr. Staff

Apr 27 2010, 12:48am

Post #4 of 18 (697 views)
Shortcut
Where? [In reply to] Can't Post

And how might one find this Trollkien trivia, Mr. Demosthenes?

rings7
Rohan

Apr 27 2010, 1:08am

Post #5 of 18 (660 views)
Shortcut
Cool [In reply to] Can't Post

I was in the last marathon, it was a lot of fun, i loved it. I'm not sure i'll take part on this one cause i have plans. :-)

_Arwen_
The Shire

Apr 27 2010, 4:14am

Post #6 of 18 (654 views)
Shortcut
very cool [In reply to] Can't Post

Am really looking forward to this Smile

See you all Saturday xxxx

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Apr 27 2010, 4:55am

Post #7 of 18 (666 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to TORn! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's always nice to see new faces around here, and you picked a great day to delurk! Hope to see you around Smile

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive
The Screencap of the Day Schedule for May

Leviathan's Bane
Rivendell

Apr 27 2010, 3:34pm

Post #8 of 18 (650 views)
Shortcut
You have my DVD player... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been wanting to have another LOTR marathon for a while, and this is a great excuse to have it! Are we supposed to watch it on a home theater or on a computer DVD player?

I'm wondering if all the pauses and "catching up breaks" are going to mess up the viewing experience for me. Does anybody have any previous TORn marathon experiences on this?

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Apr 27 2010, 5:44pm

Post #9 of 18 (647 views)
Shortcut
*is excited* [In reply to] Can't Post

I had to miss the last marathon, can't remember why, but I had something going on

definately looking forward to this Smile
see you all on saturday

Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens

Patty
Immortal

Apr 27 2010, 5:45pm

Post #10 of 18 (656 views)
Shortcut
and you have my HD TV./ [In reply to] Can't Post

Permanent address: Into the West

_Arwen_
The Shire

Apr 27 2010, 8:06pm

Post #11 of 18 (646 views)
Shortcut
cheers [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It's always nice to see new faces around here, and you picked a great day to delurk! Hope to see you around Smile

thag you very buch Laugh

Sandyman
The Shire

Apr 28 2010, 1:46am

Post #12 of 18 (621 views)
Shortcut
Ooh, I hope I can make it [In reply to] Can't Post

I was here for half of the marathon last time it was done and it was so awesome. I wish someone had saved the log from the part where everyone was screaming "DEAATTHHH!!" over and over again...I'm sure we went on longer than they did in the log from 2006. XD

I'll try to make it, if I can. I'm sure I'll be able to attend at least *part* of it. There's no way I'm missing the Rohirrim charge.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 28 2010, 8:42am

Post #13 of 18 (740 views)
Shortcut
...and my *twitch* remote! // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample
What a GREAT DAY!!!

sample sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

maegwen
Sr. Staff

Apr 30 2010, 9:42pm

Post #14 of 18 (588 views)
Shortcut
Glad you had fun! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hope to see you there tomorrow, it should be a great time.

I was indeed very remiss with not writing a recap last fall, but I will endeavor to do so this time!

DEAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTHHHHHHHHHHHH! ;)

maegwen
Sr. Staff

Apr 30 2010, 9:42pm

Post #15 of 18 (623 views)
Shortcut
Hope we see you there! // [In reply to] Can't Post

maegwen
Sr. Staff

Apr 30 2010, 9:46pm

Post #16 of 18 (655 views)
Shortcut
To answer your questions! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi!

You can watch the DVDs on any player you like. I watch them on my computer monitor because it's easier for me to split screens and moderate the chat. Plus I can keep an eye on the timer.

However, I think most people find it easier to have the movies on the TV and chat on their computers.

As for the pauses. You could probably say that it somewhat interrupts the flow. It's a balancing act to keep them frequent but not tooooo frequent. The problem is that with people who are from all different countries, the discs run at different speeds from region to region.

That said, I think it doesn't break the fun up. In fact, we tend to get a good laugh out of it and let's some people to run to the bathroom really fast!

Any other questions I'm glad to answer! Hope we see you there!

darkhobbit

May 2 2010, 10:08am

Post #17 of 18 (629 views)
Shortcut
Hi! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've decided to join here after taking part in the marathon yesterday. Normally when you are new to a forum or chatroom people treat with you disdain, but this is the friendliest place I've ever come across. I had great fun yesterday and hopefully can do the whole thing next time.

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

May 2 2010, 2:52pm

Post #18 of 18 (619 views)
Shortcut
Welcome, welcome :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.