The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
‘**FD: A Founder’s (Day), Administrators and TORnsib Friendship Thread
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

silneldor
Half-elven

Apr 26 2010, 3:01pm

Post #1 of 89 (1315 views)
Shortcut
‘**FD: A Founder’s (Day), Administrators and TORnsib Friendship Thread Can't Post

Welcome!

It seems but a short time ago since our 10th year festival celebrating the happening of the TORn boards. And the old boards are remembered dearly too on reflection, giving us so many wonderful moments which served to weave a strong foundation, bulwarking the present boards with a vibrant past.

But why has this phenomenon occurred at all? Why has all this ‘vibrancy’ come to being in the first place? What dimension of spirit could have been sung into being to cause this?

Perhaps it could be said it started with a young child’s enthralled and happy adventures in the rustic countryside of Sarehole, England, a country in which this gentle spirit came to dearly love. With this impetus began, now known as high fantasy, a world of magnificent dimension was subcreatively sung into being . And with the love of family and friends wrote with a heart that captured the world for over 50 years.

It is borne out from one of his own themes, where just a small entity as one spirit can change the world. And J. R. R. Tolkien has. The legions will attest to that. We have all been profoundly ‘reached’ in one way or the other here at TORn . Otherwise we would not persist to dwell here. And because the way we are rooted together in this fertile common ground, we have developed fine friendships worldwide. It is a beautiful thing not only to share our love with Tolkien, but to share our personal daily lives and families too. And on the boards because of our closeness, we can and may express the full dimension, in whatever way, what Tolkien has given us and means to us too. For all of you newbies, the tribute from last year may give you a bit more perspective and you can find it here:

in this link

So now, with love and respect to Tolkien and TORn , (with dear thoughts to our own legions of originators and admin. staff), if you may, please tell us how your friendships here have touched your lives and along perhaps how Tolkien has also, knowing that your own voice will join the chorus of so many others that have filled this house over the years and Tolkien’s forest and hills throughout Middle-earth as well.

Further note:

"Remember, everyone who replies to this thread will be entered into a drawing for a fun virtual door prize -- winners announced at Fiesta next Friday".

By order of the party management. (MarvOlous as they are also).

sample

''Sam put his ragged orc-cloak under his master's head, and covered them both with the grey robe of Lorien; and as he did so his thoughts went out to that fair land, and to the Elves, and he hoped that the cloth woven by their hands might have some virtue to keep them hidden beyond all hope in this wilderness of fear...But their luck held, and for the rest of that day they met no living or moving thing; and when night fell they vanished into the darkess of Mordor.'' - - -rotk, chapter III

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo

(This post was edited by Altaira on Apr 27 2010, 2:15am)

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Apr 26 2010, 3:17pm

Post #2 of 89 (982 views)
Shortcut
"sung into being" [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, that's the image -- LotR is like music, raising the hair on the back of your neck, bringing tears to your eyes, touching your soul.

I discovered TORn soon after FotR came out, but lurked for an entire year, only making my appearance in early 2004. By that time I felt I already knew several people here, so de-lurking was as comfortable as opening the door of Bag End and stepping inside.

Since then I've had the pleasure of meeting several TORnsibs, both here in the US and in NZ. And I've been tickled to discover that two people I already knew in real life were hiding behind nicknames here!

I could go on and on, but have my tai chi class in less than an hour, so I'll have to tiptoe away for now and come back later on this afternoon to enjoy the festivities.

Thanks, sil!

Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!

weaver
Half-elven

Apr 26 2010, 3:55pm

Post #3 of 89 (970 views)
Shortcut
A lovely FD's meditation -- thanks Sil! [In reply to] Can't Post

You have a way with words, sir! And illustrations, too!

For me, I wandered into this place to just talk about the films -- somewhere along the line, all the little pixels on the pages started revealing personalities to me -- clever, loving, clear, firm, thoughtful, helpful, challenging, bantering, fun loving, even ranting form time to time -- you certainly are an interesting bunch of folks, you know, and you hold a very special place in my heart.

The time it really hit home was at a Fiesta -- a family member had died, and on a whim I posted a toast to her -- and the outpouring of support I got from people was really amazing and very healing. We also had a building burn down a few years ago, and again, the TORn community was very giving and supportive to me, on and off line, and that got me through some tough times there...I was also rather shy when I found this place, and the encouragement and support I found here for expressing my ideas and sharing a bit about myself has been a very good thing for me, and I thank you all for it.

I'll add this bit as a testimonial as well...My husband, who hears much about you from me, has been truly impressed by the kind of folks we've come to add to our lives through TORn -- he doesn't run across too many people like you in RL, so you continually amaze him (and me).

Cheers to all of you -- and Happy Founders Day!

Weaver

sample

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 26 2010, 4:06pm

Post #4 of 89 (966 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien & TORn in my life [In reply to] Can't Post

You asked about TORn first so I'll address that first.

The way you've phrased your conversation prompt...and the way most people phrase similar questions here on the board... always seem heavily skewed toward discussing one's experiences as a member of the message board. But that was not my relationship with TORn in the beginning. I was an avid reader of the home page for years without knowing there *were* message boards.

I had developed this full on obsession with Tolkien the summer of 2002. Within a few months, I had discovered TORn and was checking it so often for news that I finally made it my browser's home page. I dug around a lot in Greenbooks, too. I needed a place where I didn't feel so alone in my obsession and TORn helped with that. Perhaps it was one directional... I never interacted with TORn (beyond voting in front page polls) but it still seemed like a community because so much of the news that was reported was clearly coming from the community : Ringer spys, I think they were called.

Finally, I made a post on the message boards... in response to a soundtrack discussion thread. But I still didn't become active for perhaps another year (2005). In those years between 2002-2005, I had many online Tolkien homes. But they were small enough that they couldn't survive the natural attrition that the end of the movies brought about. When I started participating more fully in the TORn message boards, I'd already had many wonderful online Tolkien experiences: wonderful discussions, lovely friends... some I considered true kindred spirits. TORn was not the place where I 'found' I wasn't alone... or where I finally felt a sense of community. This was not my first bonding and I think sometimes, the first bonding has this intense 'high' associated with it.

So, in regards to the message boards, ... not a newbie here.. not a first ager... and not someone who felt their first bond with TORn. What has TORn given me?

I think, the thing I value most about TORn's message boards right now, is the great store of good hearted, mature-minded souls we have here. And don't let the term 'mature' throw you. I count Ainu-Laire and Laerasea, two of our younger just starting college aged students as mature souls. I love how we can get passionate without getting so personally invested in our opinion or position that we lose civility. I love how we find this great mix of humor and philosophy and academics and spirit. I love that we rally together in very public ways and sometimes very private ways to honor and support our friends and associates on the boards on - for this Founders Day - on the site as a whole. TheOneRing.net community is a varied as any community but I think we have a greater percentage of people I admire and like and want in my daily life than most 'general communities' Certainly a greater percentage than most online communities.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Apr 26 2010, 5:22pm

Post #5 of 89 (971 views)
Shortcut
TORn friendship [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for a wonderful kick-off thread, Silneldor!

There's so much to say, and so little time (I really should be grading algebra papers). So I'll start with a very powerful memory, and then list a couple of others.

I think the time TORn really came through for me was when I had major surgery a few years ago. It was "routine" to the doctors, but not to me, and I was scared and nervous. My dear TORnsibs sent me so many good wishes and so much love. I printed out the thread and put it in a notebook and took it to the hospital with me, and read through it over and over as I recovered. I really think that speeded my recovery.

I've had the wonderful pleasure of meeting several sibbies in person: Altaira and Rosie-lass most often, but also several others. I'm not going to list them for terror of forgetting someone important. It's been an amazing experience, seeing a face I've never seen before, hearing a voice I've never heard before, and then launching into old familiar stories we all have in common.

And then there are the friends whose faces I've never seen and whose voices I've never heard, but who feel more like real friends than people I see every day. Silneldor and Laerasa and Magpie and many others come to mind.

And there are the times we've laughed and cried on the boards together. The amazing "femine" thread, where the guys came to the defense of the gals and a certain pink bathing suit will never be forgotten. The time we all stood and turned and faced west in memory of Widfara, each of us alone in our individual places, but together in time all over the world. I was in a meeting so I didn't stand, but I closed my eyes and faced West, and knowing that all over the world people were doing the same was incredibly powerful.

Thanks to all of you for making this a unique place on the 'net, a place of civility and kindness.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Lothlorian
Lorien

Apr 26 2010, 5:32pm

Post #6 of 89 (952 views)
Shortcut
I'm a relative newcomer [In reply to] Can't Post

so I'll be appropriately short-winded!

I was introduced to ToRn less than a year ago - I knew there must be an online community of people who think and feel like I do. I was new to the idea of an "online community" at the time - those were things for kids and techno-saavy people - not me!

I've been very gracioulsy welcomed and seem on my way to making some lovely friends. There is a world of wisdom, wit and knowledge here if you're humble and hungry enough to ask; "You do not have because you do not ask . . . "

Thank you for a lovely haven from RL and for proving there are still truly gentle folk in the world.

Happy Founder's Day. I wish you many many more and thank you for letting me tag along!

(This post was edited by Lothlorian on Apr 26 2010, 5:33pm)

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 26 2010, 6:11pm

Post #7 of 89 (971 views)
Shortcut
Happy Founders Day to you Sil [In reply to] Can't Post

and thank you for this wonderful post. You really know how to say it and put in the right images at the right place!

And now to how Tolkien and TORn changed my life. I'm not quite sure I can put it in words as beautiful as you do, but I'm going to give it a try.

For me it started with the reading (and failing the first time). But I continued, especially when I heard they were going to make movies out of the books. And this time I loved the books.

I drove 50km to get tickets to a special pre-view of Fellowship and came home early from a party just to go see it.
I was totally blown away. Then waited half a year for the video (yep, video, not even dvd).
TTT I also saw in pre view.
And ROTK in a special marathon, first FotR and TTT and at midnight ROTK (was I tired after that).
And of course all of the movies in a second, third, forth etc. viewing.

With the release for ROTK there was a contest on the radio where you could win a trip to NZ to go visit the movie locations. Flabbergasted, was that possible. So I entered millions of times, but didn't win. I saved a year and finally was able to go. I met the most wonderful group of people and made friends all over the world (and we are still friends, everybody is on Facebook, so we keep in touch). A couple in the group had been to the Oscar party, hosted by TORn and they posted photos on a website of that when we got back. Was I envious. It never really occurred to me that there might be such a place on the internet. Until then internet (to me) was only functional (so just for work and finding phone numbers) and not for fun.

I started lurking a bit. But I was too shy to really react and it was before PJ had said yes to making The Hobbit so not that much was happening.
But as soon as the message came that PJ was going to do TH I joint in straight away. This time I wanted to be at the place where it all happened.
My first post was in a thread about street names that had something Tolkien-ish in it. And since I live in a neighbourhood with Tolkien street names, I just had to respond. And to my utter surprise, somebody responded to me and welcomed me.

I did hang around more, drop a line here and there, still a bit afraid to respond a lot or create my own thread. Also because English isn't my first language, but nobody ever made any nasty remarks about misspellings or strange words in my posts (a big plus for TORn). And through being here a lot I think my English, especially my writing, even got better.

And just the interaction with all the sibs. I know some people don't like the word sibs, but to me it gives a really homely feel. And a lot of people here really feel like close friends. I now have two big sisters (Kel and PL) and we even chat a lot during the weekends. I have a lot of TORn-sibs as friends on Facebook, which is also really nice, to get to know them on a more personal level, to see that even in real life you have a lot in common. Because of TORn I now go to RingCon where I have met a lot of new friends. Last weekend I went to the ELF Fantasy Fair here in Holland. Not because I knew somebody there or it had anything to do with TORn. But TORn gave me that small push to go to RingCon and now I have enough courage to go to other conventions as well ("it is a dangerous business, going out of your door").

And of course, last year, NYC. Finally I got to meet a lot of the US-sibs, and even you, dear Sil. And it was an absolute privilege and joy to meet such a wonderful bunch of people who are just as lovely and a joy to be around in real life as they are online.

So for me Tolkien and TORn have given me the world. I've gone to places I had never been before and made friends all over the world.

THANK YOU!

sample

(This post was edited by Rosie-with-the-ribbons on Apr 26 2010, 6:16pm)

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Apr 26 2010, 6:26pm

Post #8 of 89 (962 views)
Shortcut
I don't why I missed last year's Founders' Day threads... [In reply to] Can't Post

So I'll take this moment to express one single thought: if Home is the place where you go to rest, when you're too tired of wandering; if it's the place where you feel safest of all; if it's the place where the people you care about -and who care about you- are; if Home is the place where you grow, learn, forge your character and opinions; and learn from others; and above all, if it is the place you always come back to, because you feel you belong there, the TORn has become my on-line home.

Here's to all of us, starting with the Founders and up until the last registered member, who have been kind and wise enough to maintain this place a site that goes beyond discussing Tolkien, Hobbits or Wizards... a place to be, a place to share.

Here's to Del Toro becoming the Irvin Kershner of Middle Earth!

Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Apr 26 2010, 6:28pm

Post #9 of 89 (942 views)
Shortcut
Lovely tribute, Sil! [In reply to] Can't Post

You have always such a wonderful way to express these feelings!

Let me think what to answer to your questions. Tolkien came at a time when I was just finding my way around the internet a bit better after having been involved with a Harry Potter message board for a while. So reading Tolkien opened more than one new world for me:

First, the wonderful and magical world of Middle-earth itself with all its different races and so many great literary characters. I have never been a fantasy fan, and aside of HP and LotR there's not much in the way of fantasy I really like and even read. So this alone was a very new experience. I will never forget that feverish first reading, when I went through all three books in five days - of which I had to work on three - reading faster and faster. It didn't take too long and I fell into Middle-earth - and never really returned, even after now seven years.

Second, after reading the whole work twice back-to-back, I wanted more, but had difficulties with the Silmarillion, which was a bit too gloomy for my taste. So I began to read fanfiction, still doubtful, but had the good luck to find some good authors and in the end a great archive with mainly high quality stories. While the original is still very dear to me, the fanfiction gave me not only new stories about Middle-earth, but a lot to think about; I always found it fascinating how different people can see the same little detail, what one can make of one casual remark in the books and how people are filling the gaps in the story. It was an interesting experience.

And third, nearly six years ago I finally found the courage to write my first reviews to fanfictions, always fearing snide remarks about my back then still terrible English. But no one did anything of that sort, and over time I got into personal contact with some authors who all were wonderful people and fun to talk to, not only about Tolkien. So in the end, Tolkien opened the world to me - literally, as most of them lived very far away.

Then there is TORn. I don't know for sure when I found it, only it must have been between the releases of TTT and RotK. For some time, I just checked the home page now and then, before I finally found out that there is a message board as well. That must have been shortly before the move to the new boards. I was lurking a bit on and off, then after the move to the new boards more frequently, always wanting to participate, but not sure I was up to the standard, not after a look at the RR anyway. But one day I signed up - and I am so glad I did!

What I treasure about TORn is not only the possibility to talk about Tolkien to my hearts content, but that I can do that with so many people from all around the world. No matter which nationality, skin colour, faith, gender, age, whatever - we all are going along so well, are united in the world of our dear Professor and in turn our own, and I find it exemplary how well that works. A big 'Thank you' to all the wonderful people who are making that possible, if by just posting or, in the case of the Admins, keeping everyone in line! Not to mention the Founders, who made that all possible in the first place.

Which leads me to the last part - the people here. I consider myself very lucky to have meet so many wonderful people; be it in the public threads, in PMs or, as in some cases, through emails and instant messenger. You all have given me the feeling to belong to a huge family, and I have gotten close to a few of you. I can't even count the hours I have spent on AIM talking to Kelvarhin and Rosie-w-t-r, hours that have been special and led to a wonderful friendship. Only this month I finally got to meet Rosie in person, and it was a great experience! And there are Sil and Magpie and so many others I got to know a bit better outside of the boards - another experience I treasure so much.

So Tolkien has really changed my life and given me so many new experiences and so many new friends, and I will always be grateful for it.

Happy Founders Day to all of you!

sample

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

TORn Link Collection
TORn Travelling Journal website

(This post was edited by Peredhil lover on Apr 26 2010, 6:28pm)

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Apr 26 2010, 6:38pm

Post #10 of 89 (935 views)
Shortcut
You know [In reply to] Can't Post

the parts about failing the first attempt to read LotR and going to the movie marathon when RotK came out are sounding very familiar Wink And I am happy to have two little sisters now!

Lovely post, Rosie, and very well put!

sample

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

TORn Link Collection
TORn Travelling Journal website

GAndyalf
Valinor

Apr 26 2010, 6:50pm

Post #11 of 89 (929 views)
Shortcut
Nicely said! [In reply to] Can't Post

Are you SURE Spanish/Mexican is your first language? You, sir, have the soul of a poet.

"Be good, be careful, have fun, don't get arrested!"
---Marcia Michelle Alexander Hamilton, 7 Nov 1955 - 19 Nov 2009

sample

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 26 2010, 6:53pm

Post #12 of 89 (944 views)
Shortcut
It is wonderful [In reply to] Can't Post

to share that home with you.

You put that in words so wonderful. Thank you *brushes a tear away* {{{{Compa}}}}. Thank you!Heart

sample

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 26 2010, 7:07pm

Post #13 of 89 (923 views)
Shortcut
I'll drink to that Compa. Cheers! :) / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

dormouse
Half-elven

Apr 26 2010, 7:22pm

Post #14 of 89 (931 views)
Shortcut
Lovely post... [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't been posting here very long, and in truth I haven't really made friends yet, though I've started to recognise names and look out for their comments on the message boards, and I'm gradually finding my way around different threads, drawn back every day by the feeling of welcome and all the interesting thoughts, ideas and discussions. The Reading Room was a revelation and I was really enjoying it when my mother was taken into hospital in the last stages of a long-standing illness: the Sil discussions were over by the time I was able to come back, but through the long difficult months this place has been a haven for which I'm grateful. It's so good to feel that there are people all round the world who share the mindset you have, even though you don't know them, and who thrill to the same stories, words and images. I've been reading Tolkien since I was thirteen and have never lost the delight in his creations.

So three cheers for TORn and all its people - and may there be many more Founder's Days Smile

Artanis
Rohan

Apr 26 2010, 8:11pm

Post #15 of 89 (918 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

Over two years ago I was a lurker Sly . I would sneak here many times during the week and all the while I wondered, 'do these people like Tolkien as much as I do?', 'do they have the same wild imagination as I have when I'm out in the countryside, just dreaming of Hobbits and Elves and secretly trying to look for them!?'.

My Dad has always been a Tolkien fan. I remember he had a special bookcase with all the books, and tapes, and figurines on. I remember even then being drawn to that bookcase. Why was it so special?

It wasn't until September 2007 that I found out. I couldn't stand it any longer! I was determined to find out whether this Middle-earth business was really as good as my Dad made out. LOL I can still remember him telling me 'Sue, they're going to make Lord of the Rings into a movie'. Oh, the sparkle in his eyes. Of course now I know why he had that sparkle.

So, I ordered the books. It was a matter of weeks before my husband ordered the films and before we'd got to Return of the King we'd ordered the extended editions. We were hooked.

I think it was May 2008 when I joined TORn. Or course choosing a name was the hardest part! And now I know that I'm not the only one who loves Tolkien Middle-earth and Hobbits with a passion. I think I would have gone a little mad if I didn't have somewhere I could go and feel at home. And of course now I have that same twinkle in my eye as my dad, and my children also have the beginnings of a lifelong love for Middle-earth. (Just last week my four year old daughter was drawing a picture of Sam and Shelob! Laugh)

Friendship. Well, a lot of you are on facebook...you know who you are! Wink And it has been so good to chat about TORn things aswell as just sharing in life together. It has been so much fun to learn about new cultures, countries and pastimes. I am very thankful for you all on here and facebook. You enrich my life and for that I am very thankful.Heart

Artanis

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Apr 26 2010, 8:25pm

Post #16 of 89 (959 views)
Shortcut
Well, I sorta would not be who I am now without all of this [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not even kidding, either. Tolkien is a notably large influence, but TORn too is part of that whole experience.

So, a bit on how it's touched- heck, not touched, but left a huge crater- in my life. Some of this may be old news to those of you who've known me longer. In something of a chronological order.

Tolkien inspired me to start and continue writing, currently one of my main hobbies. I discovered I had the creative "bug" when I was 10, but Tolkien helped it blossom when I was 12/13. It's only grown since then, and all of the practice I've done with creative writing has had a huge impact in my English grade, for one, but that extra literacy that seems a little lacking in my generation has opened doors that would have otherwise been closed. It all started with Tolkien.

It was the time that I discovered Tolkien that I finally realized that I did not have to be "popular" and that being myself also attracted friends, more friends than putting on a pretense ever did. I first started off being myself by, well, expressing my love of Tolkien that really started in 7th grade. Now of course I know that "myself" is not simply being a geek, but the whole world of Middle-earth was the first step.

Tolkien set me on my career path- the movies especially helped here. I have drawn ever since I was young, and I really drew quite a bit when I was in 3-6th grade. In middle school I experienced a nasty slump and the interest in art died. It started up again with this first attempt at Arwen when I was 14. I still remember thinking how awesome it was... Crazy My current level of skills of reproductions could probably be best shown with this Arwen. And I do more original compositions now, much more. But this, and the extras of the LOTR DVDs, set me on my current goal to get into the film industry as a post-production digital artist. That all started with Tolkien.

Now, many things mold a person- family, friends, life experiences. There are friends that I have gained through Tolkien that I would otherwise not have. Some are not on TORn, but others are. I have had the privilege of meeting several of you, many more than once, and the memories we have together are some of my best. And because so many of you are older than I, I have really been able to learn from all of you and that has helped shape who I am and I am sure it will continue to shape me.

And the experiences! The Comic Con goings started because of LOTR, and continue because of my interest in the creative arts industry. TORn activities there, too, have allowed me to experience things that I could have never imagined in my craziest dreams. And simply put, I would have never gone to New York without Garfeimao's support and, of course, TORn's excellent organization with the whole concert. It was a dream come true and I still dream about it (I just had a dream about it a couple days ago xD), and through all of these- the conventions and the NY trip- I have grown and matured.

And I do not doubt that it will continue on throughout the years. So thank you all. I am enjoying this adventure.

sample

My LiveJournal ~ My artwork and photography

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 26 2010, 9:00pm

Post #17 of 89 (983 views)
Shortcut
Happy Founders Day! [In reply to] Can't Post

How has TORN touched my life? In more ways than I'd ever have thought possible, really. I've made some wonderful friends, and met a whole bunch of TORNadoes worldwide (at one point I think I was holding the record for the most TORNadoes met in Real Life, but that was before the One Party and so on). Even my parents have met some TORNadoes, for example Draupne when she came to see me in hospital after I broke my leg. That time, although it was painful in a physical sense, was nice too as I realised and my parents realised how wonderful people here were. Together we've shared everything that you share with friends - birth and marriage and, sadly, death - all because we all happened to like Tolkien. It's amazing.

Penguin walking

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Apr 26 2010, 9:52pm

Post #18 of 89 (910 views)
Shortcut
I don't know if I can put it all into words [In reply to] Can't Post

I found TORn just before ROTK came out, when I was googling for information about Trilogy Tuesday. We joined a line party here for our local theater, but hadn't yet posted to the boards. I would lurk for 3 more months before I made my first post.

TORn (and LOTR) came to me at a point in my life when I was just striking out on my own. I had my first apartment without a roommate. I was a full time student, living away from my family, paying bills and making decisions about my life for the first time. I was a quiet kid in high school who always had her nose in a book. I was geeky and smart and looked down on by some because of it. Because of TORn and college (and I can't separate the two) all of that began to change for me. I was able to turn my geekdom upside down and wear it as a badge of honor rather than a mark of shame.

I learned how to argue properly and politely here, how to put my opinions into words, and how to have opinions that weren't shared by others. I really do believe that posting daily on TORn made my college papers better. And it made me a better person, because of TORn's ability to respect the opinions and beliefs of others even when the discussions were sometimes heated. That was something I hadn't had a lot of in my life before TORn.

I'm not one who revisits the books yearly. In fact, I've had a reread on my to-do list since ROTK was released in theaters! But TORn and LOTR have been a part of my life since I developed one of my own.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive
The Screencap of the Day Schedule for May

GAndyalf
Valinor

Apr 26 2010, 9:54pm

Post #19 of 89 (907 views)
Shortcut
<lump in throat> [In reply to] Can't Post

What a wonderful story!

My brother at the age of 18 went to Hollywood with nothing except a dream and within a few years was doing models and special effects for the movies. His name has been in the credits of dozens of films, many of them titles you know, such as "Back to the Future 2 and 3", "The Abyss", and "Terminator 2". Go therefore! And do not let your heart become sad when it appears that the Black Gate is shut. You will find the way.

But say not, "...left a huge crater - in my life." but rather, "illuminated my path." Many do not have such illumination when they are young - myself included - and thus wander long in search of they know not what. Follow your star and pay forward what you've been given. This also I say to you: your quest stands on the edge of a knife. Stray but a little, and it will fail.

sample

GAndyalf
Valinor

Apr 26 2010, 10:08pm

Post #20 of 89 (908 views)
Shortcut
So much in so little time... [In reply to] Can't Post

So now, with love and respect to Tolkien and TORn , (with dear thoughts to our own legions of originators and admin. staff), if you may, please tell us how your friendships here have touched your lives and along perhaps how Tolkien has also, knowing that your own voice will join the chorus of so many others that have filled this house over the years and Tolkien’s forest and hills throughout Middle-earth as well.
I discovered TORn very early (though not quite at the beginning) of the First Age, but lurked for a very long time. In that regard I consider myself something of a Bombadil. I was here but quite unknown by either the Powers or the inhabitants. I was getting my internet through aol at the time (and yes, in those days one was charged PER HOUR for online time!) so I frequented the aol message board dedicated to the upcoming LotR movies. I still have perhaps 1/2 a dozen friends that I email and share my life with from those old, now-defunct boards. I believe I left aol somewhere around the time my son was born or within a year afterwards and I had many duties which I did not neglect and interests as a teacher and a learner that often absorbed me. All the while I avidly followed the Front Page of TORn and occasionally a Fireside Chat (though I no longer remember the name(s) I might have used). I knew once I made my first post to TORn that it would be a floodgate opening and it has been, only partially due to my current straits IRL (nearly 700 posts since my 1st one on March 13th!)
I don't know ANY of you half as well as I should like and very probably like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!
But from xoanon, who has answered a couple of my emails through the years through Lothlorian who I had the pleasure of greeting as if I were an old-timer here when I myself had only a couple weeks before made MY first post, it is indeed a gathering of kindred spirits here that touches me most deeply. No matter what other opinions prevail what is here is a love of the very Kindness of humanity and a sharing of those things that are comforting in a world where comforts are not as abundant as at the least-lardered hobbit-hole.
I have never written a haiku poem before and it is now many years since I've written ANY poetry, but here is a rude attempt to try and show TORnfolk how much your companionship and encouragement has meant to me the past five weeks and more:

The work of Tolkien
Roads began long before him
Join’d at a waymoot

sample

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Apr 26 2010, 10:32pm

Post #21 of 89 (922 views)
Shortcut
I grew up under a rock in South Texas. [In reply to] Can't Post

I had never read the books until after FOTR came out in theaters. My only knowledge of Tolkien was fuzzy childhood memories of seeing the Bakshi film and the RankinBass film. Gollum really stood out to my brothers and me, but instead of mimicking "My Precious", we yelled, "It burns, it freezes!" And I called my brother "hobbit foot."

After Mr. Eruvande dragged me to see FOTR, I became obsessed. We bought the books, as well as The Sil and The Hobbit, The Book of Lost Tales, and more, and I devoured them. It wasn't until after ROTK came out in theaters that I thought the internet just might have more information. I stumbled across TORn while searching for Figwit, of all things. I was a little leery of joining a message board because isn't the internet only for perverts and weidos?

I jumped right in, though, and made my first brilliant and insightful post, somewhere around Feb. 2, 2004. Tongue It was under a different nick, but trust me, it was ba-rilliant.

I was a complete internet noob as well as a technodoofus and I even learned to copy and paste on the old Feedback page. I wish I remembered who helped me, but if you're here and you do remember--Thank you! Laugh

That is one thing I really love about TORn. We all have different abilities and talents, and everyone is willing to share and teach. Moreover, everyone is willing to learn. You don't get that everywhere, and I thank you all.

I haven't met anyone in real life, but that's mainly because I'm a big old fraidy cat. Really, isn't the internet mostly for perverts and weirdos? I may work up the courage to go to the moot in Dallas this summer, but I reserve the right to cheese out. Tongue

Anyway, just know that even though I've never laid eyes on any of you, I do think of you every day, and visit every day, even if just to lurk.

**WARNING**Hug*Alert**WARNING**

{{{{{{{TORn}}}}}}

And suddenly the Ainur saw afar off a light, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame.

Draupne
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 26 2010, 10:38pm

Post #22 of 89 (927 views)
Shortcut
Happy Founders Day! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've made some great friends through TORN, many whom I have met and spent time travelling with. As for getting around and seeing things, my life would definitly have been poorer without them these last ten years. I've also had visitors here, Cat of Queen B's and her husband have been here twice, once for New Year when we spent a week eating our way through the neighbourhood. Turned out Tom Cat of Queen B had worked with someone from Oz that one of my father's collegues had written a paper with (or something like that), plus he ate both the lutefisk and drank horrible Norwegian drinks, so we had a great time. We also spent an evening talking with the now dead father of one of my mothers neighbours who thought it was great with visitors from Australia. Ioreth was here one Easter, we watched the sun set and talked to my horse. Frogmella visited about two years ago, we had great fun crossing rivers (probably because we weren't chased by black riders). I've visited Eledhwen in several places, the trip to New Zealand was great. I've visited Cat of Queen B in Singapore, Germany and Australia, had dinner with Kimi in New Zealand, admired Nenya's cat in Philly etc.

And now I need to go make some plans to rob a bank so I get money to continue travelling!

Hope you all have a great day!

Draupne
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 26 2010, 10:42pm

Post #23 of 89 (942 views)
Shortcut
That I remember! [In reply to] Can't Post

Meeting your parents to get the train tickets after your mother had posted here to tell what had happened. Typical you to think of that, with your foot broken in the hospital, worrying about us getting the train tickets :-) And of course that scoundrel Pteppic didn't make it to the train so I had 3 tickets all on my own.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 26 2010, 11:26pm

Post #24 of 89 (908 views)
Shortcut
Lovely, sil. [In reply to] Can't Post

I found TORN at the same time that many of the movie-newbies did - January of 2002, right after the first movie was released. TORN was already an established community, and the influx of Leggy-lovers, Frodo-freaks and screaming teenagers was not received warmly. Fortunately, many of us who weren't any of the above persevered and quickly became part of the regulars.

I didn't meet any TORN-folk until two years later at the ROTK Oscar party. I was terrified and could not believe I had flown almost 2,000 miles to meet strangers in a large city at a large party, without any idea of what anyone looked like. I had nightmares of walking around the party, desperately looking for the TORN group, and spending the evening by myself. Fortunately that did not happen, and that was the first of many, many Moots and gatherings and even a wedding with such wonderful people.

I have made some life-long friends on TORN and I treasure everyone I've met. I can't believe I've been here 8+ years.

sample

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 26 2010, 11:28pm

Post #25 of 89 (960 views)
Shortcut
Well spoken! [In reply to] Can't Post

You do have a wonderful way with words, my dear sil! Smile

Oh, my...where to begin? I have wandered in Middle-earth since my early teen years, and mourned Tolkien's passing as if he had been a dear friend. I was horribly shy; he showed me courage, and perseverance, and Hope.

It was after FotR came out that I discovered TORn, and I was one of the many who read it voraciously for months before looking at the little link labelled "Discussion" and said, "What's this?" I had no idea what a Message Board was! But no one near me in RL was a Tolkien aficionado; and so I lurked and learned, until finally, on my 50th birthday, decided it was time for an Adventure...and began posting.

And what an Adventure this has been! Getting to know so many of you well enough to chat as if there were no distantly-spaced monitors separating us. Teasing, and collaborating, and sharing, and sometimes just "sitting at the feet" of the more erudite among us! There is incredible talent, and wit, and Fellowship here, and I love you all for it!

And then, to have actually met up with several of you, whether for movies, or Renaissance Faires, or playing LotR games, or - just to enjoy one another's company for a while, and get to know each other's families! The Fellowship online has become the Fellowship in real life, and we are all the richer for it.

Yes, sil, now when are we going to get a few of these 'sibs to your place for a moot-on-the-water? Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
sample

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.