Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
**FD: For Those Who Are New
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

aranelthehobbit22
Gondor

Apr 26 2010, 10:37am

Post #1 of 54 (728 views)
Shortcut
**FD: For Those Who Are New Can't Post

Hello fellow TORnsibs! Mae govannen! Today we celebrate 11 years of theonering.net with TORn Founders Day, and remember those whose hard work resulted in this marvelous site. The TORn community includes many people from all over the world. From First-Agers to newbies, from grandparents to teens and younger, J.R.R. Tolkien has touched people of all ages. Theonering.net has brought many Ringers together and has resulted in lasting friendships. This thread, however, is dedicated to those who have joined TORn relatively recently, within the past year or so. I am also new with TORn so this seemed like a good thing for me to contribute to TORn Founders Day. Here's a few questions for the festivities!

What do you like best about TORn?

What are your favorite kinds of threads?

Share an interesting fact about yourself.

Additional comments:

***Remember, everyone who replies to this thread will be entered into a drawing for a fun virtual doorprize -- winners announced at Fiesta next Friday!

sample

(This post was edited by aranelthehobbit22 on Apr 26 2010, 10:38am)

GAndyalf
Valinor

Apr 26 2010, 1:24pm

Post #2 of 54 (490 views)
Shortcut
<laughs> [In reply to] Can't Post

CHESTNUTSSS, MY PRECIOUSSSS!

"What do you like best about TORn?"
Ummm, that it's HERE? Cool

"What are your favourite kinds of threads?"
Can't pick just one kind. Love getting uber-geeky with nit-picks because I so rarely get to engage in that kind of conversation in Life with anyone about all things Tolkien, but I also love the light-hearted, just sharing stuff with folk literally around the globe.

"Share an interesting fact about yourself"
That presumes that something is interesting about me, but I'll try here. A few years back some wonderful person wrote a book called, "Love You Forever" about a mother's love for her son and how their special song celebrating that passed from her to him and to his infant daughter at the end of the book. Like most books it doesn't give a tune, but from the very first time I read it to my son I made up my own tune and sang it to my son and still sing it to him today and he'll sing the son's reply to me (changing "Mommy" to "Di-di", his pet name for me. Or used to. Most of the time it's "Daddy" nowadays). He noticed even at 3 that my voice caught the first time I tried to sing it and still occasionally cry when I sing it to him.

"Be good, be careful, have fun, don't get arrested!"
---Marcia Michelle Alexander Hamilton, 7 Nov 1955 - 19 Nov 2009

sample

Legalize_Athelas
Lorien

Apr 26 2010, 2:57pm

Post #3 of 54 (474 views)
Shortcut
Ma'am, newbie checking in, ma'am! [In reply to] Can't Post

Why I'd LOVE to answer a few questions!

• TORn is great because it allows me to connect with my inner-geek. OK, my outer-geek too. This is like my antithesis of high school in the sense that I can use the word "Necromanswers" in my signature and not get threatened by a swirly. Thanks, TORn!
  • I kicked off my message board participation with the Gaming and Collecting folk, where I've taken pride in helping a few TORnadoes with any Lord of the Rings Online questions they've had. For better or worse, that's my current specialty.
  • I minored in Music in college, and play several instruments quite well, primarily piano. When PJ's movies came out I transposed several of Howard Shore's songs for brass quartet, as well as some music for four hands, one piano. My wife also LOVES singing Into the West, and it's a favorite pastime of ours to show off to the fam after a glass of wine or two.
    • I'm also extremely excited to follow the Music threads started by Magpie and Loresilme, thanks again for posting that!
Signed,
L.A.

Got Necroquestions? I'll give you Necromanswers.

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 26 2010, 4:25pm

Post #4 of 54 (477 views)
Shortcut
I'm glad you feel that pride [In reply to] Can't Post

I kicked off my message board participation with the Gaming and Collecting folk, where I've taken pride in helping a few TORnadoes with any Lord of the Rings Online questions they've had. For better or worse, that's my current specialty.

I think individual hobby specialties is part of what makes TORn so effective. Whether it be movie costuming, book collecting, gaming, fan art... we have lots of people who know more than the average soul about their area of interest and are willing to share their knowledge with others. I love that.

(and... glad you like the music threads)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

aranelthehobbit22
Gondor

Apr 26 2010, 6:17pm

Post #5 of 54 (451 views)
Shortcut
Oh my gosh! Are you serious? [In reply to] Can't Post

I love that book!
Me and my friend used to read it and sing along with it in our own tunes!
That is such a sweet book!

sample

aranelthehobbit22
Gondor

Apr 26 2010, 6:26pm

Post #6 of 54 (431 views)
Shortcut
"Necromanswers" love it! [In reply to] Can't Post

Everyone has their area of expertise, and certainly gaming is not mine so it's great that there are people like you who help out with those!

Yes Howard Shore's music is incredible!
I love Into the West and am hoping to play and sing it at a drama camp this summer, but we'll see . . .

Great hearing from you!
Enjoy Founders Day!

sample

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Apr 26 2010, 6:30pm

Post #7 of 54 (430 views)
Shortcut
So very true! [In reply to] Can't Post

And people are willing to learn what is being shared to them, which is an entirely different good disposition. You of all people know that well! The great folk song/dance that you submitted out of category for the Hobbit Giveaway in 2007 got a well-deserved prize! Smile

It's indeed a great thing. Much openness and willingness to learn here.

Here's to Del Toro becoming the Irvin Kershner of Middle Earth!

Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

GAndyalf
Valinor

Apr 26 2010, 6:32pm

Post #8 of 54 (430 views)
Shortcut
Yup, quite serious... [In reply to] Can't Post

I was taken by the book and its message the first time I heard it and bought it immediately and read and re-read it to my boy since.

sample

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Apr 26 2010, 6:39pm

Post #9 of 54 (437 views)
Shortcut
My answers [In reply to] Can't Post

The great people. It's what *makes* the site.

Threads in which we share and discuss. Interesting things come from those. I love Scenes from the Hat and Conspiracy Theories.

As you've probably noticed, I'm a history, mythology, sci-fi and fantasy buff.

Here's to Del Toro becoming the Irvin Kershner of Middle Earth!

Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

aranelthehobbit22
Gondor

Apr 26 2010, 6:48pm

Post #10 of 54 (427 views)
Shortcut
Great having you! [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree with you completely, the people is what's so great about TORn.

Great hearing from you!
Happy Founders Day!

~Aranel

sample

aranelthehobbit22
Gondor

Apr 26 2010, 6:59pm

Post #11 of 54 (439 views)
Shortcut
My own reply [In reply to] Can't Post

I had planned on responding first but this morning was a little crazy and I haven't had the time until now so here it goes:

Definitely the people. I remember when I finally made the decision a few months back to stop lurking and to join. I remember how friendly everyone was whenever I posted something and I knew how great TORn really was.
My first PM was to grammaboodawg, and her reply was so friendly and welcoming that it just made my day. Many other TORnsibs since have become dear to me as well.

I like different kinds.
I like the SCOD and Conspiracy Theories and Scenes from the Hat, I also like the "What have you been reading/watching" because people suggest movies and books that may interest me.
Hmmm . . . well here's one: This past school year I have been able to to a course called "Literary Lessons from The Lord of the Rings" by Amelia Harper, my mom thought about making it a two year course (I am homeschooled by the way) but I finished it in just 3 months.
I loved it and learned alot, I was also motivated by the fact that I wasn't alowed to see the movies while doing the curriculem. I finished the whole section on Book 3 in one weekend, because after that I could watch FOTR . . .
Additional comments:
** A special thank you to everyone on the team for Founders Day!
Especially for Weaver and Gramma who have answered my countless questions! Smile

Happy Founders Day!

~Aranel

sample

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Apr 26 2010, 7:46pm

Post #12 of 54 (449 views)
Shortcut
A huge welcome to all the newcomers! [In reply to] Can't Post

As others have said, and as I've said myself on many occasions, it is so wonderful to meet people from all over the world, of all ages and races and genders and physical ability and politics, and have the first thing I see be their spirit. It might be years before I find out any of the other particulars (Inferno is a woman!) I think if there's a heaven it must be something like this.

Boy, is that hard to choose! I hang out mostly on Off Topic these days, and I like the book and movie reviews, and of course the fiestas. But I still lurk a lot in the Reading Room, gleaning those wonderful nuggets of insight that litter the ground there. And the Caption Contests and SFTH threads are always fun.

I'm Karen in this article. My 15 seconds of fame. Or less.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

weaver
Half-elven

Apr 26 2010, 7:51pm

Post #13 of 54 (432 views)
Shortcut
TORn has the best newbies, I agree... [In reply to] Can't Post

Lots of really great people always seem to find their way here -- welcome to all of you who have wandered in in recent days -- it's been fun reading through your replies here and getting to know you all a bit better!

Weaver

sample

GAndyalf
Valinor

Apr 26 2010, 9:35pm

Post #14 of 54 (419 views)
Shortcut
I'm not finding the article right now... [In reply to] Can't Post

But there are some great pix of me and my son in my Gandalf the White costume and his baby-hobbit costume in the Dec 2003 (he was born in Jan 2003) Colorado Springs Gazette. I took a Psychology class at AIMS back in 2001 and one other class I can't recall now. Anne (my soon-to-be-Ex) took a graphic arts class there.

sample

aranelthehobbit22
Gondor

Apr 26 2010, 9:57pm

Post #15 of 54 (418 views)
Shortcut
That article is so cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for sharing!

Happy Founders Day!

~Aranel

sample

aranelthehobbit22
Gondor

Apr 26 2010, 9:58pm

Post #16 of 54 (408 views)
Shortcut
Aww I bet that's cute [In reply to] Can't Post

with the baby hobbit!

Great hearing from you!
Happy Founders Day!
~Aranel

sample

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Apr 27 2010, 12:46am

Post #17 of 54 (408 views)
Shortcut
That book makes me cry too. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know that I could even read it anymore, now that I've sat at my mom's deathbed and sung her the lullabyes she taught to me.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Apr 27 2010, 12:48am

Post #18 of 54 (408 views)
Shortcut
I laughed so much when she asked me: [In reply to] Can't Post

"Do you think any women will go to see these movies?" That was a popular misconception among the media before the movies opened, that only geeky teenaged boys would go to see them.

Any women? With all those yummy guys in the movies? Oh, I think so ;-)

Glorfindel
Rivendell

Apr 27 2010, 1:28am

Post #19 of 54 (398 views)
Shortcut
Why I like TORn ... the short version.... [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Makes me feel included i.e not the only person of a female persuasion who likes fantasy and sci-fi. Most of my friends and indeed my husband don't quite 'get' the world (my in-laws went so far as to say FOTR was a boring children's film with just a lot of people and monsters running around - hmm....). Glad to say my children have followed my lead and taken it to new levels. Will be embarking, with my young daughter, on building a doll's house Bag End this winter (inspired by a tour of Weta Workshop, a brief chat with Richard Taylor and coveting their Bag End and also that clever girl featured recently on your main board.). Can't wait to get started

2. Favourite threads. Gosh I've only really visited The Hobbit thread so clearly there's a lot I'm missing. But can I find the time? Am supposed to be preparing dinner, hoovering and finding an electrician right now!

3. I'm profoundly uninteresting so how about this...since reading LOTR around 13/14 remained set on calling my daughter Rosie. Wasn't allowed to call either of my first two boys Rohan but then Rosie Lorien (see what I did there?) arrived. She's a budding actress (or drama queen - take your pick) so in 10 years time if you come across her in a movie you can say you heard about her on TORn first!

(This post was edited by Glorfindel on Apr 27 2010, 1:31am)

aranelthehobbit22
Gondor

Apr 27 2010, 2:18am

Post #20 of 54 (409 views)
Shortcut
Ooh! Maybe sometime we'll see her on the silverscreen! [In reply to] Can't Post

Rosie Lorien, gosh that is such a pretty name!

Although I'm far from this, I had thought about naming any future sons Frodo or Samwise, but with Frodo being such an unusual name (although he's my favourite character) i would probably not use it, although I do love the name Elanor for a girl . ..

Great hearing from you!

~Aranel

sample

GAndyalf
Valinor

Apr 27 2010, 2:36am

Post #21 of 54 (384 views)
Shortcut
{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Auntie Dora}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} [In reply to] Can't Post

That's one thing I'm not looking forward to. Mom's 73 this year and healthy and still working, bless 'er! But I know it will come and try as I might my emotions just refuse to be prepared for that one.

sample

GAndyalf
Valinor

Apr 27 2010, 2:38am

Post #22 of 54 (391 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, that WAS before journalists had any clue what an internet message board was... [In reply to] Can't Post

Or FANGURLS! hehehe Wink

sample

fairelvenlady
Rivendell

Apr 27 2010, 4:07am

Post #23 of 54 (423 views)
Shortcut
Well this relative newbie shall try a hand at answering. [In reply to] Can't Post

Out of interest I looked up my own name to see when I first posted and it seems the earliest posts are from last March, Honestly it seems that I've been coming here longer than that. I never post hear as often as I would like but I do plenty of reading what everyone else has to say.

Hmm well I'd have to say that I enjoy the depth of knowledge different people have and how you can get a different perspective on things just from reading the differing opinions. Also there aren't many places where you can randomly quote Tolkien and have people complete the quote.

Well I love reading the SFTH and the Conspiracy theories. I love the discussions of the LOTR movie itself and the depth of the reading room. Recently there was a discussion on Frodo an the undying lands that I found fascinating.

Well, would the fact that I first read the LOTR over thanksgiving weekend (Thurs.,Fri.,Sat., Sun.) be interesting? In that reading I somehow missed the fact that Frodo had his finger bit off but I did remember some other obscurer details.

What happened when Legolas and Aragorn road with Eomer in the van.
Aragorn: Eomer, Legolas has his bow on my side of the seat!
Legolas: Well Aragorn keeps slapping me while practicing his "heroic" poses.
Eomer: Don't make me turn this van around.

ShyElf
Lorien

Apr 27 2010, 1:56pm

Post #24 of 54 (382 views)
Shortcut
Sorry I'm late!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Unfortunately, this bug that I caught has proven to be a doozy! I had to leave my client's offices early yesterday and just came home and sunk into bed. I did remember it was Founders Day -- but this old body wasn't up for sitting at a computer! But I'm perking up (finally!) today. Happy Belated Founders Day to all! I'm delighted to be here.

I've said it before, I lurked here for years before finally joining the message boards. The folks here seem to be the kind of people I would like to know. I can be myself here and let my geeky self just 'be'. It's relaxing when one can just 'be' oneself. I also love the humour, the stories, and everyone is very friendly here. It's just a nice place. I also love the home page! I read everything. This has always been one of my favorite places to just 'hang out'. When I'm busy and working from my home office, this is where I have my "coffee breaks".

That's a hard one. I like them all. I love SCOD and "Have you ever noticed" (always a treat!), I mostly lurk in the Reading Room - but from there I get such interesting topics for our dinner table or breakfast table -- my daughter and I have been late for work/school with discussions that were inspired by what I've read here more than once!

Hmmm..... not sure I have one. Blush .......... ......... ...... Oh - here's one. I was always a dog person (we had dogs growing up). My daughter always wanted a cat when she was young and would carry around stuffed ones and tell anyone who asked that "This is the only kind of cat I can have, my mother is allergic to cats". Anyway, I started noticing that my allergies were lightening up considerably when around friends cats, so about 8 years ago, I told her she could have one. She saved up her money (sold her toys at a local kids flea market to pay 1/2 of the adoption fee - such a determined child!) and we went to the local shelter and adopted Sunny, our 3-legged cat (and supreme ruler of the household). He's wonderful. We even went so far as to rescue another cat about 3 years ago that was brought to our vets at 6 weeks, after being found outside, half-bald and soaking wet. He lived at the vets for about 3 months, and then we brought Salem home to live with us. Both are black cats and both have the most delightful (and very different) personalites! I never knew this about cats (always thought they were aloof creatures). I would have never done this if it had not been for my daughter, so she turned me into a cat person!

Cheers!

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Apr 27 2010, 2:01pm

Post #25 of 54 (385 views)
Shortcut
After six years, sometimes I still feel like a newbie! [In reply to] Can't Post

There is always something new to learn.

What do you like best about TORn? No cussin', spittin' on the floor, chewin' with yer mouth open, or other rude behavior is tolerated, unlike some other message boards. Regular members as well as admins take the responsibility to keep this place clean, in more ways than one. And I appreciate that.

What are your favorite kinds of threads? Any of the humor threads, especially if they devolve into a pun sub-thread.

Share an interesting fact about yourself. I can play "Concerning Hobbits" on the Little Goblin's penny whistle.

And suddenly the Ainur saw afar off a light, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.