Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
It's time for some BS!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 23 2010, 8:54am

Post #1 of 19 (529 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some BS! Can't Post

How about a Book Spoiler on what it's like to drop in on new friends...for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From The Mirror of Galadriel: The Fellowship of the Ring

..."Haldir knocked and spoke, and the gates opened soundlessly; but of guards Frodo could se no sign. The travellers passed within, and the gates shut behind them. They were in a deep lane between the ends of the wall, and passing quickly through it they entered the City of the Trees. No folk could they see... ...but there were many voices, about them, and in the air above. Far away up on the hill they could hear the sound of singing falling from on high like soft rain upon leaves.
... They went along many paths and climbed many stairs, until they came to the high places and saw before them amid a wide lawn a fountain shimmering. It was lit by silver lamps that swung from the boughs of trees, and it fell into a basin of silver, from which a white stream spilled. Upon the south side of the lawn there stood the mightiest of all the trees; its great smooth bole gleamed like grey silk, and up it towered, until its first branches, far above, opened their huge limbs under shadowy clouds of leaves. Beside it a broad white ladder stood, and at its foot three Elves were seated. They sprang up... ...and Frodo saw that they were tall and clad in grey mail, and from their shoulders hung long white cloaks.
... 'Here dwell Celeborn and Galadriel,' said Haldir. 'It is their wish that you should ascend and speak with them.'
... One of the Elf-wardens then blew a clear note on a small horn, and it was answered three times from far above. 'I will go first,' said Haldir. 'Let Frodo come next and with him Legolas. The others may follow as they wish. It is a long climb for those that are not accustomed to such stairs, but you may rest upon the way.'
... As he climbed slowly up Frodo passed many flets: some on one side, some on another, and some set about the bole of the tree, so that the ladder passed through them. At a great height above the ground he came to a wide talan... ...On it was built a house, so large that almost it would have served for a hall of Men upon the earth. He entered behind Haldir, and found that he was in a chamber of oval shape, in the midst of which grew the trunk of the great mallorn, now tapering towards its crown, and yet making still a pillar of wide girth.
... The chamber was filled with a soft light; its walls were green and silver and its roof of gold. Many Elves were seated there. On two chairs beneath the bole of the tree and canopied by a living bough there sat, side by side, Celeborn and Galadriel."

sample

sample sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 23 2010, 10:28am

Post #2 of 19 (467 views)
Shortcut
What a concept! [In reply to] Can't Post

A city whose buildings are the living unhewn trees, and with residents as heard-but-unseen as the birds who nest in the woods.

And once again, Tolkien gives only barest detail to something - here, the "broad white ladder" set beside Celeborn and Galadriel's "house" - so that our own imaginations fill in the details of this device. Does it go straight up? Curve about the tree, as in the movies? Have rungs, or steps? It is vertical, or does it slope enough so that one need not grasp the edges while climbing up? How easily can one access the flets on either side of it - do you have to "jump" to them, or is there a kind of landing?

What a fascinating concept!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
sample

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Eryn
Bree

Apr 23 2010, 12:43pm

Post #3 of 19 (590 views)
Shortcut
Totally agree [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
And once again, Tolkien gives only barest detail to something - here, the "broad white ladder" set beside Celeborn and Galadriel's "house" - so that our own imaginations fill in the details of this device.

I do absolutely love the mysteriousness- Tolkien gives just enough details for us to be able to appreciate how amazing it is, and approximately what it looks like, without drowning out the magic of it.
This question applies to basically all of Tolkien's work: but how on earth did he come up with this?!! Living in trees!... He makes it so realistic in a way.
Could I possibly ask for peoples' interpretations/explanations of this shot from the movies, by the way:
http://www.framecaplib.com/lotrlib/html/episodes/images/fotr/fotr1275.htm
I think the way Lothlorien was shot in the following scenes, where the fellowship meets Galadriel and rests in the trees etc, was really good- magical and mysterious in the same way as Tolkien wrote it, without too much detail giving away how it all worked. But I don't get what this shot is actually showing. Is that hill like the main part of Lorien? Or just a random hill in the middle of the whole realm? I just find it quite confusing.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 24 2010, 10:00am

Post #4 of 19 (500 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some more BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

A Book Spoiler, that is, of a discussion in the middle of the road... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From Many Partings: The Return of the King

... "...I am seeking a way out of his realm.'
... 'Then once more you are going the wrong way.' said Gandalf, 'and I see no hope in your journey. But will you scorn our help? For we offer it to you.'
... 'To me?' said Saruman. 'Nay, pray do not smile at me! I prefer your frowns. And as for the Lady here, I do not trust her: she always hated me, and schemed for your part. I do not doubt that she has brought you this way to have the pleasure of gloating over my poverty. Had I been warned of your pursuit, I would have denied you the pleasure.'
... 'Saruman,' said Galadriel, 'we have other errands and other cares that seem to us more urgent than hunting for you. Say rather that you are overtaken by good fortune; for now you have a last chance.'
... 'If it be truly the last, I am glad.' said Saruman; '...I shall be spared the trouble of refusing it again. All my hopes are ruined, but I would not share yours. If you have any.'
... For a moment his eyes kindled. 'Go!' he said. 'I did not spend long study on these matters for naught. You have doomed yourselves, and you know it. And it will afford me some comfort as I wander to think that you pulled down your own house when you destroyed mine.... ...what ship will bear you back across so wide a sea?' he mocked. 'It will be a grey ship, and full of ghosts.' He laughed, but his voice was cracked and hideous.
... Get up, you idiot!' he shouted to the other beggar, who had sat down on the ground; and he struck him with his staff. 'Turn about! If these fine folk are going our way, then we will take another. Get on, or I'll give you no crust for your supper!'
... The beggar turned and slouched past whimpering: 'Poor old Gríma! Always beaten and cursed. How I hate him! I wish I could leave him!'
... 'Then leave him!' said Gandalf.
... But Wormtongue only shot a glance of his bleared eyes full of terror at Gandalf, and then shuffled quickly past behind Saruman."

sample

sample sample

~Hug like a hobbit!~

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 24 2010, 1:23pm

Post #5 of 19 (501 views)
Shortcut
One has to wonder [In reply to] Can't Post

what it was, that kept Gríma so firmly under Saruman's control! A curse of some kind? A threat? There is clearly some evil at work here! For Gríma's terror-filled eyes did not mean that he was afraid of Gandalf: they were to show Gandalf, and the others, that the wretch no longer had any control over his own life - and he was worse than a prisoner: he was in some psychological dungeon of Saruman's crafting.

And it was being offered the mercy of Frodo, and Saruman's snatching that away from him, that finally released him...and gave him the free will for his final act.

sample

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Apr 24 2010, 1:24pm)

GAndyalf
Valinor

Apr 24 2010, 8:49pm

Post #6 of 19 (494 views)
Shortcut
Daggers of the mind... [In reply to] Can't Post

Saruman dealt much in intrigue and so did Wormtongue. When one sets those shadows loose some of them reside in their own minds instead of those whom they seek to place under Fear. Some of those shadowy Fears were not of Saruman's making, but Grima's own. Some were Saruman's. Many were merely an incomprehension of others acting in any other way as possibly being true.

"Be good, be careful, have fun, don't get arrested!"
---Marcia Michelle Alexander Hamilton, 7 Nov 1955 - 19 Nov 2009

sample

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 25 2010, 1:48am

Post #7 of 19 (414 views)
Shortcut
So you're [In reply to] Can't Post

also a fan of original Star Trek! Haven't hear that episode title in a long time.

And the implication is, that Gríma's subtle twisting of Théoden's mind ended up turning back on himself! The old "reaping what one sows".

sample

TheNazgul
Rivendell

Apr 25 2010, 4:33am

Post #8 of 19 (418 views)
Shortcut
well you know what they say [In reply to] Can't Post

they always said what comes around goes around

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be the blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 25 2010, 12:19pm

Post #9 of 19 (447 views)
Shortcut
TIME - April 25 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

April 25, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Gandalf visits Bilbo at Bag End.
(from Karen Wynn Fonstad, The Atlas of Middle-earth)

..."All that the unsuspecting Bilbo saw that morning was an old man with a staff. He had a tall pointed blue hat, a long grey cloak, a silver scarf over which a white beard hung down below his waist, and immense black boots.
..."Good morning!' said Bilbo, and he meant it.... ...But Gandalf looked at him from under long bushy eyebrows that stuck out further than the brim of his shady hat.
..."What do you mean?" he said. "Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?"
..."All of them at once... ...And a very fine morning for a pipe of tobacco out of doors, into the bargain. If you have a pipe about you, sit down and have a fill of mine! There's no hurry, we have all the day before us!" Then Bilbo sat down on a seat... ...crossed his legs, and blew out a beautiful grey ring of smoke that sailed up into the air without breaking and floated away over The Hill.
..."Very pretty!" said Gandalf. "But I have no time to blow smoke-rings this morning. I am looking for someone to share in an adventure that I am arranging, and it's very difficult to find anyone."
..."I should think so... ...We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can't think what anybody sees in them,' said our Mr. Baggins... ...Then he took out his morning letters... ...pretending to take no more notice of the old man. He had decided that he was not quite his sort, and wanted him to go away. But the old man did not move. He stood leaning on his stick and gazing at the hobbit without saying anything, till Bilbo got quite uncomfortable and even a little cross.
..."Good morning... ...We don't want any adventures here, thank you! You might try over The Hill or across The Water." By this he meant that the conversation was at an end.
..."What a lot of things you do use Good morning for!" said Gandalf. "Now you mean that you want to get rid of me, and that it won't be good till I move off....""

... "...Gandalf... ...was still standing outside the door, and laughing long but quietly. After a while he stepped up, and with the spike of his staff scratched a queer sign on the hobbit's beautiful green front-door. Then he strode away, just about the time when Bilbo was finishing his second cake and beginning to think that he had escaped adventures very well."

sample

sample sample

~Hug like a hobbit!~

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Apr 16 2011, 2:22pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 25 2010, 12:32pm

Post #10 of 19 (422 views)
Shortcut
So true! [In reply to] Can't Post

And I think that Grima, after being being battered like Theoden was, believed the same lies of retribution or death (as those from Pelennor that Aragorn/Elessar reprieved) he had lost his mind as well.

sample

sample sample

~Hug like a hobbit!~

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 25 2010, 12:34pm

Post #11 of 19 (418 views)
Shortcut
Curse of the mind, absolutely! [In reply to] Can't Post

And Saruman suffered from it himself to believe the Company was pursuing him. It was interesting that Galadriel understood that immediately indicating they had other things on their minds other than "hunting" him. Still in battle mode, eh?

sample

sample sample

~Hug like a hobbit!~

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 25 2010, 12:40pm

Post #12 of 19 (396 views)
Shortcut
This is what I love about Tolkien [In reply to] Can't Post

He gives us so much room to use our own imagination and interpretation! Fill in the pages ourselves :)

Ahhh... that is an interesting scene. I've always taken it to be the heart/hill of Lothlorien as Haldir announces it. I've also loved to imagine that because of it's blessing/protection of Galadriel and Nenya, this looks a lot smaller than it actually is. ;)

sample

sample sample

~Hug like a hobbit!~

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 25 2010, 1:29pm

Post #13 of 19 (509 views)
Shortcut
The adventure begins.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for that, gramma!

sample

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 25 2010, 4:12pm

Post #14 of 19 (410 views)
Shortcut
One does wonder [In reply to] Can't Post

what it was, that did make Bilbo invite Gandalf to tea! Hobbity politeness?

Or perhaps it was that "inner Took" fighting past the "outer Baggins", saying that it wanted to at least just hear about this new Adventure!

sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 26 2010, 8:43am

Post #15 of 19 (666 views)
Shortcut
TIME - April 26 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

April 26, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Wednesday. The unexpected party.
(from Karen Wynn Fonstad, The Atlas of Middle-earth)

..."Bilbo rushed along the passage, very angry, and altogether bewildered and bewuthered—this was the most awkward Wednesday he ever remembered. He pulled open the door with a jerk, and they all fell in, one on top of the other. More dwarves, four more! And there was Gandalf behind, leaning on his staff and laughing. He had made quite a dent on the beautiful door... ...[and] knocked out the secret mark that he had put there the morning before.
..."Carefully! Carefully!" he said. "It is not like you, Bilbo, to keep friends waiting on the mat, and then open the door like a pop-gun! Let me introduce Bifur, Bofur, Bombur, and especially Thorin!'
...'At your service!" said Bifur, Bofur, and Bombur standing in a row. Then they hung up two yellow hoods and a pale green one; and also a sky-blue one with a long silver tassel. This last belonged to Thorin, an enormously important dwarf, in fact no other than the great Thorin Oakenshield himself, who was not at all pleased at falling flat on Bilbo's mat with Bifur, Bofur, and Bombur on top of him....

...'...Now we are all here!" said Gandalf, looking at the row of thirteen hoods—the best detachable party hoods—and his own hat hanging on the pegs. "Quite a merry gathering! I hope there is something left for the late-goers to eat and drink! What's that? Tea! No thank you! A little red wine, I think, for me...."
......Mr. Baggins... ...was feeling positively flummoxed, and was beginning to wonder whether a most wretched adventure had not come right into his house. By the time he had got all the bottles and dishes and knives and forks and glasses and plates and spoons and things piled up on big trays, he was getting very hot, and red in the face, and annoyed...."

..."...Poor Bilbo couldn't bear it any longer. At may never return he began to feel a shriek coming up inside, and very soon it burst out like the whistle of an engine coming out of a tunnel. All the dwarves sprang up knocking over the table... ...the poor little hobbit could be seen kneeling on the hearth-rug, shaking like a jelly that was melting. Then he fell flat on the floor, and kept on calling out "struck by lightning, struck by lightning...!"

..."...Excitable little fellow," said Gandalf, as they sat down again. "Gets funny queer fits, but he is one of the best, one of the best—as fierce as a dragon in a pinch."
...If you have ever seen a dragon in a pinch, you will realize that this was only poetical exaggeration applied to any hobbit... ...however, Bullroar's gentler descendant was reviving in the drawing-room. After a while and a drink he crept nervously to the door of the parlour...."

... "...Pardon me," he said, 'if I have overheard words that you were saying. I don't pretend to understand what you are talking about, or your reference to burglars, but I think I am right in believing... ...that you think I am no good. I will show you. I have no signs on my door..."

..."...said Gloin. "...I assure you there is a mark on this door—the usual one in the trade, or used to be. Burglar wants a good job, plenty of Excitement and reasonable Reward, that's how it is usually read. You can say Expert Treasure-hunter instead of Burglar if you like.... ...Gandalf told us that there was a man of the sort in these parts looking for a Job at once...."

..."...Of course there is a mark," said Gandalf. "I put it there myself. For very good reasons. You asked me to find the fourteenth man for your expedition, and I chose Mr. Baggins. Just let any one say I chose the wrong man or the wrong house, and you can stop at thirteen and have all the bad luck you like, or go back to digging coal.""

April 26, 1999
1. TheOneRing.net officially draws its first breath.

...On this day, TORn is officially registered and begins exclusive reporting on Peter Jackson's films and related topics. It also spawns multiple Discussion Boards where all things Tolkien and Jackson are discussed.

2. A J.R.R. Tolkien adaptation in the works.
...TORn and its community anticipates and speculates on the progress being made on the adaptation and casting of The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, and The Return of the King being filmed simultaneously.

April 26, 2009
1. TheOneRing.net celebrates its 10-year Anniversary.

...On this auspicious Anniversary, TORn Discussion Board Members begin an annual Founders Day celebration honouring its Founders, Admins, and fellow-posters.
TORn 10th Anniversary Bash! by Altaira

sample

sample sample

~Hug like a hobbit!~

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Apr 16 2011, 2:31pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 26 2010, 10:26am

Post #16 of 19 (409 views)
Shortcut
Adventures in the making! [In reply to] Can't Post

Both the "official" start of Bilbo's adventure...and the "official" start of TORn!

I can imagine that starting up a website would be quite similar to thinking you're going to have a simple tea, then finding all sorts of Dwarves at your doorstep, and chaos in the house...! Laugh

And, of couse, one never knows how fantastic that Adventure will be...and one learns from it, that Roads go ever on. Heart

sample

GAndyalf
Valinor

Apr 26 2010, 1:30pm

Post #17 of 19 (379 views)
Shortcut
I was an original fanbase for ST original series... [In reply to] Can't Post

Started watching with "Where No Man Has Gone Before" in the 1st season. I was a pretty precocious kid and that was my one show per week that I was allowed outside of cartoons.

sample

GAndyalf
Valinor

Apr 26 2010, 1:33pm

Post #18 of 19 (395 views)
Shortcut
I believe Tolkien made that a trait... [In reply to] Can't Post

of evil in general. Very wise, but like the Ainur following Melkor's music they "bray upon a few notes only", or, in my interpretation, they are wise with what they know, but cannot conceive of any other way of reckoning but their own.

sample

GAndyalf
Valinor

Apr 26 2010, 1:36pm

Post #19 of 19 (406 views)
Shortcut
"Wizards, after all, are wizards."// [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.