Toy Biz Collecting...
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

diedye
Grey Havens

Feb 21 2007, 4:31am

Post #1 of 39 (7837 views)
Shortcut
Toy Biz Collecting... Can't Post

How many of you will admit to collecting the LOTR action figures from LOTR?

*proudly raises hand, silence ensues, hand drops down like lead*

Okaaaaaaaay...

Um... gee... well, since the cat is out of the bag, I can proudly (meep!) say that I own all the good guys (except the exclusive ones that came with the special packs... I didn't want to spend money on the other figures that I already had), plus a couple of bad guys (not crazy about ugly-looking creatures... not very purdy to display).

*wonders if voice... uh... letters are falling on deaf... blind eyes*

Noneoftheabove
Lorien

Feb 21 2007, 5:05am

Post #2 of 39 (6768 views)
Shortcut
Not sure if they were ToyBiz figures... [In reply to] Can't Post

But I collected the "Armies of Middle Earth" toyline. It was a series of miniature figures from the LotR films. They were awesome, and I wish the toyline was still going, as I thought the figures were made really well for the most part.

I have the Helm's Deep Set, as well as the Orthanc set, plus a lot of the individual figure packs.

SandWitch King
Rohan

Feb 21 2007, 5:08am

Post #3 of 39 (6749 views)
Shortcut
I feel no shame at all [In reply to] Can't Post

I bought many of the Toy Biz figures. They were pretty fun actually. Now however, I have a touch of 'collector's regret' and they sit or hang in a closet in my office. I wish I could find a good home for them.

I definitely don't have them all, but I had all of them for a while, but Toy Biz got ahead of me.

Unlike you, I always find the bad-guy toys more interesting!

Once upon a time I was MrCere. I still am but this name is for posting and being part of the community while that one is for official business. 8-)

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Feb 21 2007, 6:39am

Post #4 of 39 (6776 views)
Shortcut
Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

See, I have a budget of a teenager who tutors for spare change, so I cannot buy all these cool expensive stuff.

I just ask them for Christmas Angelic

Anyways, I have a bunch of figures. I have little Strider with his torch (dog ate the torch...), Gimli (dog chewed the helmet...), Gandalf the white with sword-swinging action, Legolas (dog chewed the knife), and then some Frodo figure. But I also have those 12 inch dolls from... I'm not sure what, but they're really nice, with real cloth and stuff for the clothing. I have Aragorn, Arwen, and Legolas for those.

I also have those mini figures with little characters fighting... so yea, it's a nice collection. ^^

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

SandWitch King
Rohan

Feb 21 2007, 7:16am

Post #5 of 39 (6734 views)
Shortcut
Presents make up the bulk of my collection as well [In reply to] Can't Post

Some I gave myself, many were from Christmas. However, I never opened my figures so the dog didn't chew anything. And, I don't have a dog.

Once upon a time I was MrCere. I still am but this name is for posting and being part of the community while that one is for official business. 8-)

priell3
Lorien

Feb 21 2007, 2:11pm

Post #6 of 39 (6748 views)
Shortcut
Don't have the toys, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

...have the LOTR versions of Monopoly and Risk. My son played all of the XBox LOTR games.

CAhobbit
Rohan

Feb 21 2007, 5:23pm

Post #7 of 39 (6751 views)
Shortcut
Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe I shouldn't admit that I have. Blush

I've collected quite a few. If I had to guess I would say I have at least 75 of them. I freed them from their boxes a couple of years ago since having them in boxes was taking up too much space (now they take up a shelf and a half in my closet). There are a few I've keep in more mint condition though. I've also collected some of the armies of middle earth (play a-long) figures as well.

Do not meddle in the affairs of hobbits for we can bite your kneecaps off!

namadriel
Lorien

Feb 21 2007, 9:31pm

Post #8 of 39 (6771 views)
Shortcut
They're so pretty! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the action figures. They're so detailed. I've got about two shelves of them here. And a couple more at my parents' house that I'll have to take with me if I ever get a real house.

Patty
Immortal

Feb 21 2007, 10:59pm

Post #9 of 39 (6778 views)
Shortcut
Hey, I admit to collecting [In reply to] Can't Post

The Burger King action figures. I remember driving all over town and looking through the boxes (when the servers would let me) to get the figures I was missing. I finally got them all, and a set to spare, and a set for my sister. No, I didn't have to eat all that muck, they just let me buy them.

I know it's crazy, but I treasure them.

Lord Peter Wimsey's Main Squeeze

SandWitch King
Rohan

Feb 21 2007, 11:44pm

Post #10 of 39 (6768 views)
Shortcut
completely, wholly, utterly COOOOL [In reply to] Can't Post

The Burger King items were so 'fast food' and 'pop culture' and kitch, that they are indeed magnificent!

I too collected two sets. I honestly wish there had been two more sets for TTT and ROTK.

-----------sigh-------------

Patty
Immortal

Feb 22 2007, 12:05am

Post #11 of 39 (6764 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, I wish there had been, too. [In reply to] Can't Post

Did they just not do it because the "legitimate'' toy companies were coming out with their own?

On a side note, someone at BK told me (as I was buying them) that these action figures would be collector's items some day. That's probably more true than it is of the "legitimate" (sideshow, etc. ) ones. Have you checked out if they are going for much on ebay these days? That might be an indicator of how collectible they may become.

In Reply To
The Burger King items were so 'fast food' and 'pop culture' and kitch, that they are indeed magnificent!

I too collected two sets. I honestly wish there had been two more sets for TTT and ROTK.

-----------sigh-------------

Lord Peter Wimsey's Main Squeeze

diedye
Grey Havens

Feb 22 2007, 3:27am

Post #12 of 39 (6759 views)
Shortcut
*sniffle*... [In reply to] Can't Post

I too collected them, but am missing a few, not least of all Boromir!

CAhobbit
Rohan

Feb 22 2007, 3:51am

Post #13 of 39 (6751 views)
Shortcut
Wait???? [In reply to] Can't Post

You don't have a Boromir???

Hmmmm I still check out the toy stores every so often and still find Boromir's. If you like I'd be more than happy to send you one if I ever come across one again. We can't have you and your loin cloth without a Boromir Toy Biz action figure.

CAhobbit's flickr page

CAhobbit's myspace

Altaira
Superuser

Feb 22 2007, 4:17am

Post #14 of 39 (6773 views)
Shortcut
LOVE the ToyBiz figures! [In reply to] Can't Post

I blame credit Inferno for starting me collecting them. Wink

I mentioned one time that I could never find any, and lo and behold she sent me a list of ones at a toy store near her. I bought a passle of them (which she kindly bought for me and sent to me), plus she's later found and given me some very nice and rare ones (hesitates to tell diedye that, courtesy of Inferno, I own the "Super Poseable Boromir with 30 points of Articulation" --- I'd elaborate but, you know --- family board Wink).

I don't unpack them though. I leave them in the boxes. Who here are 'unpackers' and who are 'boxers?'

(p.s. was it CAHobbit who posted some great pics of all of her action figures 'watching' one of the movies? CA?).

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the boards that are given to us"

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Patty
Immortal

Feb 22 2007, 4:18am

Post #15 of 39 (6733 views)
Shortcut
Diedye, this is the only [In reply to] Can't Post

e-bay set that has all of them, I think, and it is used.

http://cgi.ebay.com/LORD-OF-THE-RINGS-BURGER-KING-2001-MIP-SET_W0QQitemZ320084612797QQihZ011QQcategoryZ20913QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Welcome to Rivendell, Patty Baggins

CAhobbit
Rohan

Feb 22 2007, 4:27am

Post #16 of 39 (6750 views)
Shortcut
Oh my [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
(p.s. was it CAHobbit who posted some great pics of all of her action figures 'watching' one of the movies? CA?).

I'd forgotten about that. I found I still had some of the pics in my photobucket account. Laugh

Here they were watching Cate.

And here was the lot of them.

I've added quite a few more since then. I swear I don't have a problem...I swear!

CAhobbit's flickr page

CAhobbit's myspace

diedye
Grey Havens

Feb 22 2007, 4:46am

Post #17 of 39 (6733 views)
Shortcut
Sorry... must clarify... [In reply to] Can't Post

I meant the Burger King Boromir.

I have the Toy Biz Boromir... with and without the voice chip (which sounds more like Elijah Wood hopped up on helium ).

Thanks for the offer, though.

CAhobbit
Rohan

Feb 22 2007, 5:01am

Post #18 of 39 (6725 views)
Shortcut
Ahhhhhhhhhh [In reply to] Can't Post

I see. Cool

CAhobbit's flickr page

CAhobbit's myspace

Altaira
Superuser

Feb 22 2007, 5:26am

Post #19 of 39 (6744 views)
Shortcut
Brave, cahobbit! [In reply to] Can't Post

Love those piccies! Thanks for reposting the one. It's one of my favorite TORn memories.

(and of COURSE you don't have a problem, my dear. What an absurd notion Wink)

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the boards that are given to us"

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 22 2007, 5:45am

Post #20 of 39 (6707 views)
Shortcut
I have them... [In reply to] Can't Post

I just recently bought some stands for them. The things don't stand up worth a darn. I concentrated on the Elves, but I have a few others.

I also have all (I think) of the Burger King ones. I wasn't able to get all of them first hand so I scoured thrift stores and garage sales for a long time to finally get them all. Unfortunately, the stands are rarely with them and I might be missing a stand or two.

There are variations on some of the BK figures, including Boromir. I also found an odd Arwen figure that, as far as I can tell, came in a little plastic case with a film cell or something.

I've also found the Argonath and Minas Tirith from the EE Special Boxed Sets at thrift stores.

no longer just aMagpie... I'm now *the* Magpie

drogo
Lorien

Feb 22 2007, 12:48pm

Post #21 of 39 (6739 views)
Shortcut
I had forgotten those [In reply to] Can't Post

Quite a town-hall meeting you have going on there!!

Laugh

(Formerly drogo of the two names!)

teddiwen
The Shire

Feb 22 2007, 7:52pm

Post #22 of 39 (6720 views)
Shortcut
too many of these things, all in boxes boxes [In reply to] Can't Post

plus she's later found and given me some very nice and rare ones (hesitates to tell diedye that, courtesy of Inferno, I own the "Super Poseable Boromir with 30 points of Articulation"

Is he worth something? I didn't even know he was rare. Was out at TRU and they had these odd three packs of older (meaning I bought these last year and these were green box toys) and he was on the three pack.

teddi
~Old Toby Productions

teddiwen
The Shire

Feb 22 2007, 7:58pm

Post #23 of 39 (6739 views)
Shortcut
too many stinkin toys [In reply to] Can't Post

We have alot of the toy biz and play along toys.

The ones I really like though are:

The complete 9 figure fellowship set (had to ebay that puppy). I took the "map" out from inside just to have a peek.

The 5 hobbit set

We have one that my husband says it rare- twilight Frodo with the "eye" background.

We gave about 60 packs in total.

I like the Play Along Nazgul set alot too.

Anyone want/need an Elrond of Rivendell? (green box). We have two of him.... would trade for anyone we dont have.

teddi
~Old Toby Productions

Wynnie
Rohan

Feb 23 2007, 2:53am

Post #24 of 39 (6730 views)
Shortcut
Helm's Deep [In reply to] Can't Post

I've got a Helm's Deep set, including Aragorn, Theoden, Gimli, Legolas, and Haldir. Here's one of my cats considering Gimli:

Can't you hear him saying, "Bring your pretty face to my axe"?

Owlamoo
ink drawing by JRRT

CAhobbit
Rohan

Feb 23 2007, 3:20am

Post #25 of 39 (6710 views)
Shortcut
Where [In reply to] Can't Post

Did you buy stands for them? I've seen them at entertainmentearth.com but that's it. I've been tempted to buy them from there but when it's $14 for 25 I haven't gone through with it (seeing as I'd have to end up spending over $40 for them.

In Reply To
I just recently bought some stands for them. The things don't stand up worth a darn. I concentrated on the Elves, but I have a few others.

I also have all (I think) of the Burger King ones. I wasn't able to get all of them first hand so I scoured thrift stores and garage sales for a long time to finally get them all. Unfortunately, the stands are rarely with them and I might be missing a stand or two.

There are variations on some of the BK figures, including Boromir. I also found an odd Arwen figure that, as far as I can tell, came in a little plastic case with a film cell or something.

I've also found the Argonath and Minas Tirith from the EE Special Boxed Sets at thrift stores.

CAhobbit's flickr page

CAhobbit's myspace

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.