Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
*pulls off de-lurk cloak briefly* so anyways ...

luinfalathiel
Lorien

Apr 13 2010, 2:45am

Post #1 of 12 (235 views)
Shortcut
*pulls off de-lurk cloak briefly* so anyways ... Can't Post

... some of you know that I enjoy writing peculiar stories with people. I managed to steer one into a nice little LOTR-themed scene recently:

"... The effect was startlingly painful and something he instantly regretted, however, it distracted everyone from noticing what Marie had done-- she had shaved her beautiful hair and used it to wrap the haggis in a kind of sling.

Marie slunk towards a deep depression in the oaken floorboards and secreted the haggis therein, humming softly as she hypnotized the slack-jawed taproom customers. One by one they nodded off, their pint mugs slowly tipping over, the drool running down their chins to thier chests. Marie smiled. The plan was working. The golden haggis was all hers! They'd never find their simple minds equal to the task once I'd hidden it, she opined to herself ... "

It put me in mind of Luthien, and all the people in Morgoth's court falling asleep as she sang ... :)

In other news, I recently got PRK laser eye surgery done. Like super recently, 2 weeks ago. My vision is now 20/20 ... except for the haziness (which clears up as you heal up) and the light sensitivity (which is annoying and hopefully will actually go away!!!)

I have not been reading TORn much at all ... so much has been going on ... but I think of you often and look forward to seeing Voyage Of The Dawn Treader with you secret (and not so secret) older Ben Barnes fangirls! ;)

Follow my adventures!
http://simulflow.vox.com

Gandalf: Good benevolent I!
http://pounce.skew.org/...ncerninghobbits.html

the eye of luinfalathiel

the eye of luinfalathiel

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 14 2010, 4:16pm

Post #2 of 12 (126 views)
Shortcut
Eye surgery? [In reply to] Can't Post

I've heard that it can be done if you have simple myopia.

What was it like? Did you have to be "put under" for it? How did it feel afterward? What's the "haziness" like - is it just that things are a bit blurry?

And do I really want to know what a golden haggis is? Is the critter alive, or already cooked?

Wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 14 2010, 6:18pm

Post #3 of 12 (115 views)
Shortcut
Nice to 'see' you, luin! [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved the results of my eye surgery and still do. With only two weeks under you belt, all the side-effects should clear up very, very soon and you can enjoy life sans contacts, glasses or whatever you were using before. Smile

Clever way to work LOTR into your story, btw. I can only imagine what the entire story is about and where it's going from here.

Hope to see you around as often as you can make it.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 14 2010, 6:42pm

Post #4 of 12 (188 views)
Shortcut
I'm intrigued [In reply to] Can't Post

by this bit of information about PRK surgery: After the PRK procedure, bandage contact lenses are worn to promote healing of the epithelium.

Did you get these bandage contact lenses? What are they like?

I had Lasik surgery and it was one of the best decisions I'd ever made - not wearing glasses made a huge change for the better. And it's delightful to walk in the rain and not have tiny raindrops sitting right in front of my eyeballs. :)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Kyriel
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 15 2010, 10:38am

Post #5 of 12 (874 views)
Shortcut
I had Lasik surgery, but my eyes have completely reverted [In reply to] Can't Post

I had the surgery in 2002, I think, and now my vision is right back to where it was before. Plus, now that I've hit my 40's, I'm also getting farsighted. I now have bifocals...which I refuse to wear most of the time because I'm just so stubborn. Not to mention still so angry. Mad Yeah, they tell you ahead of time that some people's vision reverts after Lasik, but no one expects to be one of those people. Unfortunately, I was.

Congratulations, luin, and don't mind me. Most people do just fine after vision correction surgery. I just can't help griping because I spent all that money for nothing.

Those left standing will make millions writing books on the way it should have been. --Incubus

Lothlorian
Lorien

Apr 15 2010, 6:29pm

Post #6 of 12 (244 views)
Shortcut
I haven't done lasik [In reply to] Can't Post

for precisely your reason. I've worn glasses so long the decline into bifocals seemed inevitable. *sighs.*

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 15 2010, 7:47pm

Post #7 of 12 (222 views)
Shortcut
Did you [In reply to] Can't Post

wait until your prescription had settled down before having Lasik done? Or is this reversion something else entirely?

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Kyriel
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 16 2010, 10:51am

Post #8 of 12 (274 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, I did [In reply to] Can't Post

I was in my mid-30's, so my prescription was pretty stable. Plus, they did a lot of tests on me before the procedure to be sure I was a good candidate....Okay, honestly, I wonder sometimes if Lasik doctors ignore dubious test results to rake in more money, but that's just my paranoia talking. The ophthalmologist I go to now says that 20-25% of Lasik patients see their vision revert, so I was just part of that unlucky percentile.

Maybe it's just something to do with genetics and the tendency of certain people's bodies to behave certain ways. I had braces twice, and my teeth moved back to their old positions, too - despite my wearing my retainer properly and doing everything the orthodontist said.

Those left standing will make millions writing books on the way it should have been. --Incubus

GAndyalf
Valinor

Apr 16 2010, 1:46pm

Post #9 of 12 (87 views)
Shortcut
With ya on the stubborn... [In reply to] Can't Post

Though I just call it vanity to why I don't wear the glasses prescribed about five years ago (I'll be 49 in just over a month). I kinda-sorta want the surgery, but now am having second thoughts because the military is recommending PRK and from what I've been reading and hearing Lasik is a much safer choice.

"Be good, be careful, have fun, don't get arrested!"
---Marcia Michelle Alexander Hamilton, 7 Nov 1955 - 19 Nov 2009

GAndyalf
Valinor

Apr 16 2010, 1:48pm

Post #10 of 12 (91 views)
Shortcut
<laughs> You're just a HOBBIT... [In reply to] Can't Post

Set in your ways! Even your body! Sorry, don't mean to be unkind there, but looked at in a certain light it IS gently funny.

"Be good, be careful, have fun, don't get arrested!"
---Marcia Michelle Alexander Hamilton, 7 Nov 1955 - 19 Nov 2009

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 16 2010, 9:14pm

Post #11 of 12 (86 views)
Shortcut
I was never told [In reply to] Can't Post

about reversion - and if I'd known the percentile was that great I might have had second thoughts and dropping so much money.

Hmm.

Ataahua's stories

Kyriel
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 16 2010, 11:19pm

Post #12 of 12 (232 views)
Shortcut
Actually, I pretty much am [In reply to] Can't Post

All you have to do is shrink me just a little and put some hair on my feet. I'd fit right in at Bilbo's party.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.