The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Life Lessons from Middle-Earth

aranelthehobbit22
Gondor

Apr 15 2010, 10:29pm

Post #1 of 10 (4534 views)
Shortcut
Life Lessons from Middle-Earth Can't Post

Here is a link a friend sent me, it's a short interview with cast members of LOTR, talking about lessons they learned from making the movies.
For anyone you might like to read it.

Here.

Photobucket

'Help oft shall come from the hands of the weak when the Wise falter.'

Photobucket

"Yet in that hour was put to the proof that which Mithrandir had spoken, and help came from the hands of the weak when the Wise faltered."

(This post was edited by aranelthehobbit22 on Apr 15 2010, 10:30pm)

Eryn
Bree

Apr 16 2010, 12:32pm

Post #2 of 10 (4094 views)
Shortcut
Very touching! [In reply to] Can't Post

And thoughtful. Thanks for posting this!

aranelthehobbit22
Gondor

Apr 16 2010, 1:08pm

Post #3 of 10 (4053 views)
Shortcut
You're welcome! Glad you liked it // [In reply to] Can't Post

Photobucket

Photobucket

"Yet in that hour was put to the proof that which Mithrandir had spoken, and help came from the hands of the weak when the Wise faltered."

Lord of Magic
Bree

Apr 16 2010, 2:28pm

Post #4 of 10 (4107 views)
Shortcut
Very good article. Thanks for posting. [In reply to] Can't Post

In reflection, I liked John Rhys-Davies' response the best. I think his point about becoming slaves is very true. It's very easy to go from holding onto an ideal or living a certain kind of life in a way that is good and just to having that all deteriorate into just blindly following something that's been set before you. We cling to certain things, but I think that only becomes a problem when we refuse to question what it is we are doing. Princes and slaves both live absolutes( by this I mean that they both have things they must do), the difference is the slave has chosen to give himself/herself no other choice but to follow his/her own absolute(s) whereas the prince chooses to follow the absolute.

I also think Sean Astin's response was very well said, and I think it applies very readily to a situation one of my friends has found herself in.

Former Duke of Stardock, Overseer of the Paraphysical Army of Tokidoki, High Mage in Service to King Lyam conDoin I of Rillanon, The Absolute Lord, Ruler, and Sovereign of all Tokidoki.

The White Dragon and Arnölé, The Lord of All Magic

Lothlorian
Lorien

Apr 17 2010, 6:42pm

Post #5 of 10 (4064 views)
Shortcut
It sounds like it was a transformative [In reply to] Can't Post

experience for the younger actors. I like Mortenson and Rhys-Davies and McKellan's viewpoints too. Because I'm old. Wink

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Apr 17 2010, 7:20pm

Post #6 of 10 (4039 views)
Shortcut
I liked JRD's lesson. // [In reply to] Can't Post

And suddenly the Ainur saw afar off a light, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame.

GAndyalf
Valinor

Apr 18 2010, 1:14am

Post #7 of 10 (4053 views)
Shortcut
"So often times it happens, that we live our lives in chains... [In reply to] Can't Post

And we never even KNOW we have the key!" ---The Eagles, "Already Gone"

"Be good, be careful, have fun, don't get arrested!"
---Marcia Michelle Alexander Hamilton, 7 Nov 1955 - 19 Nov 2009

GAndyalf
Valinor

Apr 18 2010, 1:18am

Post #8 of 10 (4038 views)
Shortcut
I liked all the answers... [In reply to] Can't Post

Because each answer was important for each actor's personal Life view, because each answer was grounded in the interconnected human web of Life, and because much more than in many if not most movies, these actors for this project seemed to appreciate that they were working on a very literally once-in-a-lifetime project and made certain to take something away from it for themselves.
For myself, I recognized things from every era of my Life (except McKellen's, as "my time" has not happened yet) and so McKellen's gives me greatest comfort, maybe.

"Be good, be careful, have fun, don't get arrested!"
---Marcia Michelle Alexander Hamilton, 7 Nov 1955 - 19 Nov 2009

aranelthehobbit22
Gondor

Apr 18 2010, 9:35pm

Post #9 of 10 (4034 views)
Shortcut
Yes I liked them all as well [In reply to] Can't Post

they each reflect what they all learned and what they took with them.
It's great reading responses from different cast members

Photobucket

Photobucket

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Apr 23 2010, 3:52pm

Post #10 of 10 (4308 views)
Shortcut
Responding rather late [In reply to] Can't Post

But these were simply wonderful to read- and so very true. Good advice all around.

sample

My LiveJournal ~ My artwork and photography

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.