Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
"Dragons" Movies Depicts Young Tolkien And Lewis Adventures

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Apr 13 2010, 4:22pm

Post #1 of 9 (467 views)
Shortcut
"Dragons" Movies Depicts Young Tolkien And Lewis Adventures Can't Post

The Hollywood Reporter reports: Travis Adam Wright has been hired to adapt "Here, There Be Dragons" and "The Search for the Red Dragon," the first two books in James A. Owen's popular young-adult fantasy series "The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica."

The Gotham Group is producing the feature adaptations, with "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy co-producer Rick Porras also coming aboard to produce. Warner Bros. will distribute the films in the potential franchise.

So far, "Geographica," which Owen also illustrates, includes four novels revolving around a secret book that contains the unpublished maps and journals of history's most famous author-adventurers. Included as protagonists are a young J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis, future giants of the fantasy-adventure genre whose famous works are imagined by Owen to have been inspired by these fictional adventures.

Wright said Owen's series is "the best gift any fanboy of Tolkien, Lucas and Spielberg could receive. Here is a character-driven franchise that is both familiar and fresh, where wit and intelligence, not just rifles and regiments, win the day."

The series' publisher, Simon & Schuster, plans to publish seven books, with the fifth novel, "The Dragon's Apprentice," due in stores in the fall.

"James Owen has managed to create a global 'what-if' franchise which subsumes not just the 'LOTR' trilogy and 'The Chronicles of Narnia' but the entire canon of Western literature from Milton to Jules Verne," said Porras, who also is producing "The Lost Patrol" at Legendary Pictures.

Wright, repped by WME and Benderspink, co-wrote the thriller "Eagle Eye" for DreamWorks as well as Paramount's remake of Walter Hill's "The Warriors," which is in development with Tony Scott attached to direct and produce.

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Apr 14 2010, 1:44am

Post #2 of 9 (354 views)
Shortcut
Great! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been promoting this books for 3 years now, having posted reviews, and release announcements at Home Site. Mr. Owen, the author, has even posted here, in a couple of threads.

I am thrilled to read this, and really encourage you to pick up the books if you can. Thoroughly enjoyable reads they are! Wink

Here's to Del Toro becoming the Irvin Kershner of Middle Earth!

Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 14 2010, 1:47am

Post #3 of 9 (380 views)
Shortcut
Now who do you think [In reply to] Can't Post

they'll be choosing, to play John, Jack, and Charles!

I'm assuming the Tolkien Estate has given permission; did Owen need it, to write the books?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Apr 14 2010, 5:16pm

Post #4 of 9 (382 views)
Shortcut
As far as I know... [In reply to] Can't Post

He doesn't have express permit, but it is tolerated since the character is highly fictionalized and doesn't particularly dig deep into the Legendarium. Only vague references are used.

I also know the Lewis Estate have been very cool about it, and that the Tolkien one has been reserved, but hasn't done anything against it, which is something, considering they have no qualms in throwing lawsuits whenever they fell badly about something.

As for the actors, I don't know. James Owen says those main characters will be chosen by the studio, and that he will only recommend some actors for "minor" roles: Malcolm McDowell as Bert and Angus McFadyen as The Cartographer, which has much meaning after book 3. We also have mentioned the possibility of having Johnny Depp reprise his role as James Barrie and Robin Williams as the character in the cavern in book 2, Laura Glue's grandpa. We'll have to wait and see!

geordie
Tol Eressea

Apr 14 2010, 9:37pm

Post #5 of 9 (507 views)
Shortcut
That's not his name [In reply to] Can't Post

- Tolkien was known as Ronald to his family and close friends - except Jack Lewis and the Inklings; they called him 'Tollers'.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 15 2010, 1:29am

Post #6 of 9 (344 views)
Shortcut
And that is precisely why [In reply to] Can't Post

Owen uses "John" for him, in the series.

The author does quite a bit of mixing fact, fiction, and mythology. I agree with Compa that these books are a fun read; I get a kick out of picking up on all the references in them!

You might want to take a browse through "Here, There be Dragons" to get a feel for what is going on.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Apr 15 2010, 2:14am

Post #7 of 9 (358 views)
Shortcut
James Owen was guest of honor last year at Mythcon. [In reply to] Can't Post

And he was in the audience when David Bratman gave a paper on works of fiction, other than those by the Inklings, in which members of the Inklings appear. Bratman turned last to the work of Owen himself, and his "post facto potpourri", which gets some facts "wrong", but as Owen is "playful rather than conspiratorial", the "errors don't matter".

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkienís life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

geordie
Tol Eressea

Apr 15 2010, 6:24am

Post #8 of 9 (342 views)
Shortcut
So... [In reply to] Can't Post

"And that is precisely why ... Owen uses "John" for him, in the series"

- So, why does he use 'Jack', not Clive? (just wondering)

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Apr 15 2010, 3:06pm

Post #9 of 9 (369 views)
Shortcut
He specifically addresses the matter in Book 3 [In reply to] Can't Post

In this world of fiction, Williams and Lewis meet Tolkien during their first adventure, and meet him specifically under John. Tolkien says in book 3 (circa 1930) that everyone he loves calls him Ronald. Lewis asks him whether he would want them to address him as Ronald, then. Tolkien answers he wouldn't, that he had come to associate himself being called John with his adventures in the Archipelago.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.