Bag End cake...sort of
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Anorien
Rohan

Apr 6 2010, 8:28pm

Post #1 of 27 (4317 views)
Shortcut
Bag End cake...sort of Can't Post

So a while back, my friend Elerin and I said we were going to make a Bag End cake. Well, we finally did it. But lets just say it didn't turn out quite the way we wanted. First off, we had trouble with the cake. We forgot to spray the pan the first time so the cake came out in an explosion of crumbs. The second time we did spray the pan but it stull stuck to the bottom, it just came out in large pieces. So we had to mold the cake into the shape of a hill, which proved to be difficult as it kept crumbling in spots. So after we got the shape, we put in the freezer so it would hold together while we frosted it. Didn't help much, the frosting kept picking up crumbs and wouldn't actually stick to the cake. And we couldn't get the frosting the right color, it turned an odd shade of mint green instead of beauitful grass green. By the time the frosting ordeal was over we just didn't want to deal with the cake, so the decorations aren't as detailed as we wanted. Let's just say this is one of the most amusing cakes we've ever made. Elerin took the cake home for her family to eat, there was no way my family could finish all that cake, and she said it tasted yummy so that's good.

By the end, though, our fingers were all green, we had frosting on our clothes and Elerin even found some in her hair. It was definitely an adventure, considering we were trying to watch Return of the King while making the cake, which didn't help. But it was very fun and we laughed alot. It was more of adventure than anything else.

But we're not inclined to attempt such a cake again. We agreed that I should stick to painting and she should stick to her music Smile lol. Enjoy!

The Lord of the Fellowship of the Return of the Two Towers of the Hobbit King of the Rings...with the Silmarillion!

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 7 2010, 12:05am

Post #2 of 27 (3714 views)
Shortcut
I think you've done a great job! [In reply to] Can't Post

No one needs to know about the behind-the-sences dramas - and it all makes for a great story to tell afterwards! Well done!

BTW I love the pathway up to the door and the 'party' sign on the gate. :D

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Frodo's Pearl
The Shire

Apr 7 2010, 2:53am

Post #3 of 27 (3842 views)
Shortcut
Charming! [In reply to] Can't Post

How charming! It's SO much better than the one that my local grocery store was making years back. Yey for homemade! Heart

Yes, you have seen a thing or two since you last peeped out of a looking-glass. ~Frodo, FotR --- ..May you come to realize that insignificant as you may seem in this great universe, you are an important part of God's plan. May He watch over you and keep you safe from harm. ~Roma Downey
Artisan of the Shire

film fanNo.7
Bree

Apr 7 2010, 3:54pm

Post #4 of 27 (3684 views)
Shortcut
looks great [In reply to] Can't Post

The cake looks great you and your friend did a great job I especially like how you used wafers for the pathway and the windows. It's also inspiring for me because recently i've been wanting to make an LOTR cake of my own and yours has some really good ideas that I can use. But watching Return of the King while making it would have made it a bit hard to concentrate, oh well though because like I said earlier it still came out great in the end.Smile And as long as you enjoyed yourselves though that's all that really matters!

Anorien
Rohan

Apr 8 2010, 4:12am

Post #5 of 27 (3670 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

The steps and sign were Elerin's idea, she took the frosting out of an oreo cookie and cut it, very detailed. Smile

The Lord of the Fellowship of the Return of the Two Towers of the Hobbit King of the Rings...with the Silmarillion!

Anorien
Rohan

Apr 8 2010, 4:13am

Post #6 of 27 (3670 views)
Shortcut
I love homemade! [In reply to] Can't Post

What was the cake like at the store?

And thanks Smile

Anorien
Rohan

Apr 8 2010, 4:17am

Post #7 of 27 (3673 views)
Shortcut
We did have lots of fun [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially when I dropped the knife covered in frosting while trying to make grass. Glad we could give you some ideas? What would your cake look like, or is it a surprise? And yeah, having the movie on in the background didn't help much. We kept sitting down to watch the movie and then look at each other like "I don't want to get up to frost the cake, I'm comfy". But it was worth it, definitely a fun experience.

The wafer cookies are also good for eating, very tasty Smile

Elerin

Apr 8 2010, 4:25am

Post #8 of 27 (3705 views)
Shortcut
As much as my family loves to devour food... [In reply to] Can't Post

...there's still half of it left!
Though I must say that I already ate my delicious wafer cookie path! Wink

This was so much fun to make! I love cake adventures! However, it won't happen again. Or at least, it won't happen for a very long time.nn

My fingers are finally no longer green, and there's no more frosting in my hair or on my clothes. You know you put a whole bottle of green food coloring in the frosting when your tongue turns green from eating it! haha Smile

Anorien
Rohan

Apr 8 2010, 5:10am

Post #9 of 27 (3706 views)
Shortcut
Hee hee [In reply to] Can't Post

You woke up with green frosting in your hair Smile.

Frodo's Pearl
The Shire

Apr 11 2010, 5:17pm

Post #10 of 27 (3817 views)
Shortcut
Cake Pic [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's a pic of the store's cake...
http://www.gilmerz.com/...n_LordRings_Cake.jpg

Again, I love yours so much better! Wink

Yes, you have seen a thing or two since you last peeped out of a looking-glass. ~Frodo, FotR --- ..May you come to realize that insignificant as you may seem in this great universe, you are an important part of God's plan. May He watch over you and keep you safe from harm. ~Roma Downey
Artisan of the Shire

Anorien
Rohan

Apr 11 2010, 9:34pm

Post #11 of 27 (3756 views)
Shortcut
Oh my [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the figurines are the best part, maybe the only good part, of that cake. The door is a very interesting shape, I didn't think circles were that hard. Thanks for sharing! I suddenly don't feel so bad about our cake. At least our door is round Smile

Frodo's Pearl
The Shire

Apr 12 2010, 1:48am

Post #12 of 27 (3720 views)
Shortcut
Haha... [In reply to] Can't Post

What's really a scream is that my friend's mum actually got this cake for her birthday once, and she said that the bakery workers did NOT know what they were doing... they ended up making the door a rectangle! The figurines are cute though, I have the Frodo and Sam one myself. :)

Artisan of the Shire

Anorien
Rohan

Apr 12 2010, 5:51am

Post #13 of 27 (3789 views)
Shortcut
Oh no [In reply to] Can't Post

At least they got the figurines out of it. How hard is it to make a round door? Tongue Oh well, hopefully the cake was yummy.

GAndyalf
Valinor

Apr 18 2010, 3:26am

Post #14 of 27 (3646 views)
Shortcut
*sings* "All the sweet green icing, flow-IIIINNG DOOWN! Someone left my CAKE out... in the RAIN!... [In reply to] Can't Post

IIIIII don't THINK that I can TAKE it! 'Cause it TOOK so long to BAKE it! And I'll NEVER have that REC-ipe a-GAAIIN! Aaa-GAAAAAAIIIINNNN!!!"
hehehehe

"Be good, be careful, have fun, don't get arrested!"
---Marcia Michelle Alexander Hamilton, 7 Nov 1955 - 19 Nov 2009

Anorien
Rohan

Apr 22 2010, 4:34am

Post #15 of 27 (3835 views)
Shortcut
Oh no! Save the cake! [In reply to] Can't Post

How did the poor cake get left out in the rain? Sounds messy and green. Very nice song Smile I can't imagine going through all of that just to have my cake succumb to the elements. Evil

GAndyalf
Valinor

Apr 22 2010, 5:05pm

Post #16 of 27 (3719 views)
Shortcut
Ya know, the song never did say... [In reply to] Can't Post

1960s classic "MacArthur's Park"

sample

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Apr 23 2010, 2:42am

Post #17 of 27 (3859 views)
Shortcut
I prefer the Donna Summer version...if I can choose my torture. ;) // [In reply to] Can't Post

White-socks my little lad

Patty
Immortal

Apr 23 2010, 4:03pm

Post #18 of 27 (3650 views)
Shortcut
Let me just say it looks good enough to make me hungry. [In reply to] Can't Post

Permanent address: Into the West

GAndyalf
Valinor

Apr 23 2010, 8:41pm

Post #19 of 27 (3617 views)
Shortcut
So whatt're you tryin' to SAY here, Miss Eowyn? [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool

sample

Patty
Immortal

Apr 23 2010, 9:04pm

Post #20 of 27 (3639 views)
Shortcut
I think she is saying that of the versions of MacArthur Park out there... [In reply to] Can't Post

she prefers the Donna Summer version. She is best because she works hard for the money, so you'd better treat her right.

GAndyalf
Valinor

Apr 23 2010, 9:24pm

Post #21 of 27 (3621 views)
Shortcut
<laughs> [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, Miss Patty, I know very well that there're lots of version of MacArthur's Park. But since my original post was "singing" I was having fun and I believe Miss Eowyn was funnin' me on my singin'. But if'n I'm wrong on that, well, Donna DID do the 1st version of it that I'd heard and yeah, I liked it as well.

sample

Patty
Immortal

Apr 23 2010, 9:33pm

Post #22 of 27 (3618 views)
Shortcut
and didn't some guy do it first who could definitely not sing? [In reply to] Can't Post

Why am I thinking it was Richard Harris?

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Apr 23 2010, 10:17pm

Post #23 of 27 (5195 views)
Shortcut
Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

I couldn't remember his name, but I remembered hearing his version compared with hers on the radio. It was from Mordor! I wasn't even alive in the 1960s, so I thought GAndyalf was referring to the earlier one instead of Donna's.

White-socks my little lad

(This post was edited by Eowyn of Penns Woods on Apr 23 2010, 10:21pm)

GAndyalf
Valinor

Apr 24 2010, 7:39pm

Post #24 of 27 (3668 views)
Shortcut
My apologies then... [In reply to] Can't Post

I was goin' with my original post. Being used to nearly every popular song having been covered many times I don't even think about that aspect anymore. Sly

sample

Anorien
Rohan

Apr 24 2010, 11:22pm

Post #25 of 27 (3706 views)
Shortcut
Ohhhh [In reply to] Can't Post

Haven't heard that song so I didn't know Smile

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.