Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
How would you rank the three movies?
Poll: How would you rank the three movies?
FOTR, TTT, ROTK
FOTR, ROTK, TTT
TTT, FOTR, ROTK
TTT, ROTK, FOTR
ROTK, FOTR, TTT
ROTK, TTT, FOTR
View Results (64 votes)

Annael
Immortal

May 22 2007, 8:27pm

Post #1 of 23 (544 views)
Shortcut
How would you rank the three movies? Can't Post

Related to Patty's question below - which is your favorite movie, FOTR, TTT, or ROTK, and how do you rank the other two?

FantasyFan
Rohan

May 22 2007, 10:41pm

Post #2 of 23 (307 views)
Shortcut
sort of matches my view of the books [In reply to] Can't Post

FOTR because I think it matched my vision of the book best, ROTK because that part of the story is so beautiful, and then TTT is last since I kind of get lost in the long battle for Helm's Deep, and there isn't much else going on.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

May 23 2007, 12:01am

Post #3 of 23 (272 views)
Shortcut
Are we talking TV or EE? / [In reply to] Can't Post

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

May 23 2007, 12:47am

Post #4 of 23 (276 views)
Shortcut
What you said, and [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm still grumbling about Aragorn falling off the cliff and Faramir hijacking the hobbits to Osgiliath.

In Reply To
FOTR because I think it matched my vision of the book best, ROTK because that part of the story is so beautiful, and then TTT is last since I kind of get lost in the long battle for Helm's Deep, and there isn't much else going on.

FantasyFan
Rohan

May 23 2007, 1:08am

Post #5 of 23 (271 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

I should have phrased it, "nothing much else going on that I recognize." Those are not my favorite parts either.

Radhruin
Rohan

May 23 2007, 3:31am

Post #6 of 23 (283 views)
Shortcut
FOTR is my favorite [In reply to] Can't Post

If I have to choose the next favorite, I guess it would be ROTK.

I enjoyed ROTK on the first viewing. Not like FOTR, but I enjoyed it. I think I saw it twice in the theatre.

TTT really irked me at my initial viewing. I gave it two more chances in the theatre, and never warmed up to it.

I saw FOTR nineteen times in the theatre, and loved every viewing.

I must admit that after watching all three again this spring for the first time, one after another, I really appreciated the continuity of PJ's vision. Not necessarily totally Tolkien ;), but still better than watching one of them as a stand alone movie. I really love FOTR though.

Edit: I assume you meant the theatrical versions. Although the EE's didn't change my mind, except making me like TTT a little bit more, my overall opinion didn't change.

(This post was edited by Radhruin on May 23 2007, 3:34am)

Patty
Immortal

May 23 2007, 7:29am

Post #7 of 23 (279 views)
Shortcut
Always rank FotR first... [In reply to] Can't Post

mostly because I love Hobbiton and the Elven realms. Yes, there is a little bit more battle than I really like in TTT, but the visuals in that particular movie are so strong--I think that what everyone has in front of them is ratcheted up more here, so I relate to it on a more emotional level than many others do. I don't find the battle time in TTT nearly as long as that in RotK, although I'm sure it is. I think the filmakers did a good job of following the first rule of filming battles--keep your focus on the heroes and their challenges and reactions. That made the battle scenes less of a chore.
RotK is a different story. I didn't go see it as much in the theaters as I did the others, although I did like it. I think that because the focus had shifted largely away from elves and hobbits, which I love, and onto the world of men I didn't enjoy it as much. But I still did enjoy it a lot. In ranking I'd say FOTR, TTT, ROTK. Of course I'm discussing the EEs. The theatricals leave out so much that, because we have the more detailed versions, I don't even discuss them.

FingonOfPittsburgh
Lorien

May 23 2007, 1:03pm

Post #8 of 23 (278 views)
Shortcut
Good question [In reply to] Can't Post

I voted FotR, RotK, TTT.

Viewing FotR for the first time was such an overwhelming experience. They got so much "right;" the casting, the Shire, Rivendell, Lorien, Moria. The deviations from the book were minimal and nothing I couldn't live with.

RotK - the deviations were awful, repugnant, unnecessary BUT some of the grand scenes (the Pelennor) made up for it to a small degree. It was at least more fun to watch than TTT had been.

TTT - some of the odd departures from the text started to creep in and there were no especially thrilling scenes to make up for them.

Morwen
Rohan

May 23 2007, 1:08pm

Post #9 of 23 (262 views)
Shortcut
Agree about the EEs [In reply to] Can't Post

The bits that were added in seem to make the story hold together better, and I love the little "book moments" that were included. I bought the theatrical versions, but they became loaners as soon as the EEs came out, and I eventually gave them to my niece.

Elven
Valinor

May 23 2007, 1:43pm

Post #10 of 23 (274 views)
Shortcut
TT, ROTK, FOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

I love TT!! I seem to start with that one, the ROTK, and then FOTR and then TT, then ROTK, the FOTR, then I watch TT, then .... Laugh

Heart

Annael
Immortal

May 24 2007, 1:24am

Post #11 of 23 (245 views)
Shortcut
yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

Code
RotK - the deviations were awful, repugnant, unnecessary BUT some of the grand scenes (the Pelennor) made up for it

That's a good way to put it. The Ride of the Rohirrim and the lighting of the beacons made the movie for me.

wolfranger
Bree

May 25 2007, 1:18am

Post #12 of 23 (238 views)
Shortcut
I prefer TE ROTK. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it all the story lines come together quite brilliantly in ROTK, and in terms of film making I think it's the best one. (Thus, it is my favourite.) However, in the EE the added bits were sort of stuck in rather than edited in smoothly as they were in the other two EEs. Not that I didn't want to see them - there are bits that I really, really like in the EE (example: houses of healing).

FOTR and ROTK are a close call for me. TEs ROTK wins out, EEs it's FOTR all the way.

I don't really like TTT much. I can't get into the ents, I can't get into the battle for Helm's Deep, and Faramir is just horrid. I vastly prefer and even like the EE, but it still ranks last.

Cheers,
wolfranger

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 9 2007, 11:19pm

Post #13 of 23 (209 views)
Shortcut
ROTK first [In reply to] Can't Post

It has so many moments that just hit me emotionally, either by making me sob or by making my heart soar (the beacons, for a start). Then FOTR, because that was the movie when I knew everything would be all right. And then TTT, although the EE comes in more closely behind than the theatrical version. TTT definitely benefits the most from the extra scenes.

Patty
Immortal

Jun 10 2007, 12:43am

Post #14 of 23 (221 views)
Shortcut
I would also add... [In reply to] Can't Post

a scene that some found objectionable...that is, Arwen's vision. I thought it was beautiful, and a neat way to get her back to Rivendell (which she didn't leave in the first place, but had to be brought back to.)

elentari3018
Rohan

Jun 10 2007, 3:34am

Post #15 of 23 (210 views)
Shortcut
Re: FotR trumps RotK for this reason... [In reply to] Can't Post

That is why RotK ranks behind FotR for me in terms of fidelity to the books. RoTK is the most emotional but PJ's deviations were so awful! (ex. Frodo sending Sam away, Arwen said to have her fate linked to the Ring, ::rollseyes::, and so many more...) I must say that i was a bit disappointed the first time i watched RoTK on the big screen but then subsequent times watching it, i enjoyed it more afterwards.

Patty
Immortal

Jun 10 2007, 6:29pm

Post #16 of 23 (193 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I've often said here that... [In reply to] Can't Post

that statement about "Arwen is dying" was the one thing in all 3 movies combined that actually instantly drew me out of the experience. Glad it didn't come till then, as I was in Middle earth for much of that almost 12 hour movie. I was able to get back there after a while, but it was a big, big breach.

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Jun 11 2007, 10:53am

Post #17 of 23 (201 views)
Shortcut
About your footer... [In reply to] Can't Post

It would seem you like 'The Athrabeth'!
It's also one of my favorite pieces of writing by Tolkien - and I cherish particularly that same quote you have chosen as your footer!... Smile
I intend to some day bring up 'The Athrabeth ' as a topic for discussion on one board or the other. If and when I do, would you like to be informed, so as to participate in that discussion?
In a previous 'Pollantir' - on 'The Silm', that one - two more Tornsibs declared a special liking for Finrod, and mentioned 'The Athrabeth'. So they too would be informed - of course whoever else would like to participate would be most welcome, but we seem to be not so many people yet knowing and appreciating 'The Athrabeth', that's why I'm keeping track a bit of those who do...

flo

Jun 13 2007, 6:45am

Post #18 of 23 (188 views)
Shortcut
cant [In reply to] Can't Post

I simply can't put them in order. I never look at trilogies and separate, I just can't. Not only is it hard for my mind/memory to decipher which each one begins and ends (lol) but technically, its all just one film.

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Jun 14 2007, 7:13am

Post #19 of 23 (186 views)
Shortcut
Your post is in the wrong place... but expresses [In reply to] Can't Post

exactly what I myself feel too about the question put for that poll, and what I was going to post myself!!! What a funny coincidence!... Cool So, in a way, your post was connected with me indeed, although it was in no way a reply to my post...

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Jun 14 2007, 7:20am

Post #20 of 23 (183 views)
Shortcut
Well, as flo said above, 'can't'!... [In reply to] Can't Post

I just can't rank them at all: the three of them are one in my heart, and so, also in my head, and I love them all together as one looong cherished film! Parts here and there I like more, or less, than other parts, but it's all within one film for me.

Tyler
Lorien

Aug 5 2007, 12:24am

Post #21 of 23 (175 views)
Shortcut
FOTR TTT ROTF same as the books [In reply to] Can't Post

Dagonet
Lorien

Sep 7 2007, 9:16pm

Post #22 of 23 (167 views)
Shortcut
ROTK [In reply to] Can't Post

Definetly music awesome graphics awsome David Wenham awsome lets see... overall... Awesome!!!Smile

LEGIONTX
Rivendell

May 3 2009, 3:52pm

Post #23 of 23 (192 views)
Shortcut
my feelings [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

My feelings on the subject as well.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.