Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
The Lord of the Rings Motion Picture Trilogy Blu Ray Giveaway
First page Previous page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next page Last page  View All

GaLoS-87

Apr 1 2010, 11:47am

Post #301 of 360 (36843 views)
Shortcut
My favorite thingy mado [In reply to] Can't Post

My favorite scene is without a doubt, when Gandalf throws the envelope with www.theonering.net into Bilbos fireplace, in FOTR. I love the sound of the fire, and how the burning paper curls perfectly to show the ring, and the moment Gandalf drops the ring in Frodos hand. FOTR is basically the perfect movie, that's why i've watched it well over 500 times (not joking).

Shall I describe it for you, or would you like me to find you a box?

(This post was edited by GaLoS-87 on Apr 1 2010, 11:55am)

Peregrin
The Shire

Apr 1 2010, 12:03pm

Post #302 of 360 (36492 views)
Shortcut
Blu-Ray edition [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess, I'll have to go out and get a Blu-Ray unit when I win. :-)

Elen síla lúmenn' omentielvo! Not all those who wander are lost. Thain Peregrin Took II
thain@3rdcome.org
www.3rdcome.org
Great Smials
Tuckborough, The Shire

magiclblingbling

Apr 1 2010, 8:06pm

Post #303 of 360 (36191 views)
Shortcut
Raindrops on roses.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry, the subject of the thread got set to the Soound of Music song in my mind, but it fits quite well really :)
I know its cliche, but it is very very hard for me to pick a favorite scene....

I will say my favorite scene is when Gandalf is talking to Frodo in the mines and they're lost. Not only does he dispense some wise advice ('even the very wise cannot see all ends' is something I try to remember every day), but at the end of the scene when he chooses their rotue based on his nose, I thought that captured Gandalf's worldly wisdom and whimsical-ness very well, it felt like a very Tolkien Gandalf moment to me (that same whimsical-ness is missing in the Harry Potter films for Dumbledore IMO, but that's another post...)
Thanks and good luck to all!

Gollymaya

Apr 2 2010, 2:50am

Post #304 of 360 (34471 views)
Shortcut
My Favorite Scene [In reply to] Can't Post

Frodo and Sam pull themselves agonizingly up the poisonous slope while their companions willing offer their lives to keep Saurons attention in the hope that their sacrifice will lead to the destruction of the evil. Sam crawls to his masters side and gently takes the semi-conscious Frodo tenderly into his arms, tears flowing down his dusty cheeks. He gazes into Frodos tortured face, then to the tormenting mountain towering above them.

"Do you remember the Shire, Mr. Frodo? It'll be spring soon and the orchards will be in blossom, and the birds will be resting in the hazel thicket, and they'll be sewing the summer barley in the lower fields." Frodos eyes finally meet Sams. "And eating the first strawberries with cream. Do you remember the taste of strawberries?" Frodo sadly replies, "No, Sam, I cannot recall the taste of food, nor the sound of water, nor the touch of grass. I'm naked in the dark. There's nothing, no veil between me and the wheel of fire." Fear and darkness begin to overwhelm Frodo. "I can see him with my waking eyes." Then that stubborn, determined courage, usually buried in the heart of such a peace loving hobbit shines from Sam more brightly than light from the phial of Galadriel. Fiercely he says, "Then let us be rid of it once and for all! Com on, Mr. Frodo, I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you!" And with a mighty heartwrenching "Come on!" the exhausted Sam pulls his dearest friend onto his shoulders and begins the final treacherous climb up Mt. Doom.

This scene for me is the culmination, and yet very epitome of all that is The Lord of the Rings. All of the precious themes are condensed down into these heartbreakingly powerful and majestic moments. It is a reflection of the purest, noblest and best that humanity can be. It gives me hope in our world so filled with its own darkness. And in the end, isn't that the most exquisite lesson from The Lord of the Rings? Hope!

Cilmawiel Lady Of Lorien

Apr 2 2010, 4:00pm

Post #305 of 360 (35682 views)
Shortcut
Aragorn's speech at the Black Gate [In reply to] Can't Post

When Aragorn gives his speech at the Black Gate about not failing the fellowship:

"A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day."

Fantastic scene.

gothbunny27

Apr 2 2010, 5:26pm

Post #306 of 360 (33473 views)
Shortcut
Favorite LOTR scene [In reply to] Can't Post

Like so many fans who have already said, I have way too many scenes that I loved in this trilogy. That being said, I think that my absolute favorite scene is when Samwise, although struggling through his own hunger and exhaustion from their long and treacherous journey, picks Frodo up and carries him up the side of the mountain in a tremendous effort to assist his friend and companion complete his quest. It make me cry every time I watch the movies. Samwise is so heroic, indeed in many ways he was more of a hero than Frodo. I was always partial to the character and courage of Samwise and that scene embodied his bravery and courage to a tee, that is why I can single it out as an absolute favorite.

lachiebuch

Apr 2 2010, 6:35pm

Post #307 of 360 (36794 views)
Shortcut
The epicness! [In reply to] Can't Post

I get goosebumps EVERYTIME I watch the charge of the Rohirrim at the battle of Minas Tirith. It's the music, the slow dance of the horses that builds up to a full-on charge, and sounding of the horns and the Men of Rohan crying out 'DEATH!'. It's truly stunning and I'm dying to see it in Blu Ray.

ohyeahtuttle

Apr 3 2010, 12:19am

Post #308 of 360 (34656 views)
Shortcut
My Favorite Scene!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

One of my favorite scenes takes place in the Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers.
Its when Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli are searching for Merry and Pippin and they find the burning pile of Urakai.
They think they have lost Merry and Pippin.
Aragorn kicks the helmet and Legolas mutters an Elvish prayer of grief.
Not only did they run for 3 days straight to find their friends, they think they have lost them.
However, soon they realize they are still alive in the forest.
There's something powerful about the commrodery they all felt towards each other although they came from very different backgrounds.

FrozeToes Baggins

Apr 3 2010, 1:27am

Post #309 of 360 (33558 views)
Shortcut
My favorite scene [In reply to] Can't Post

It's hard to say any one of so many amazing scenes is my favorite, but for the sake of this contest, here is one.

The lighting of the beacons is a great scene. Because when all hell is about to break loose, the people need to stand together but there's not a united effort at first, which only gives the enemy the
advantage. With a bit of Gandalf's subtle nudges to destiny and Pippin's innocent willingness to help, the beacons are lit and the people of Rohan and Gondor will come together. It's yet another example of
the theme that occurs throughout the films of people from differing situations, cultures, etc. coming together to rise to the occasion.

Add to that the amazing music that plays throughout and it makes for an inspiring scene.

etail

Apr 3 2010, 2:17am

Post #310 of 360 (34604 views)
Shortcut
Favorite Scene [In reply to] Can't Post

The Battle of Pelinore Fields

The CGI is stunning, the acting by Theoden compelling, the music brings it all together and then that moment of silence right before the impact! For me this is the scene that brings together acting, special effects, drama, comedy and music all at once.

slashlib

Apr 3 2010, 2:27am

Post #311 of 360 (35155 views)
Shortcut
"You shall not pass" [In reply to] Can't Post

The Bridge of Khazad-Dum.
It's the obvious one, but justly so. It sums up all there is to know about The Lord of the Rings.

/lib

bjstewart

Apr 3 2010, 3:31am

Post #312 of 360 (34549 views)
Shortcut
LOTR Trilogy best scene [In reply to] Can't Post

When I watch the ROTKEE I get at least 5 tissues ready and the crying starts with Gandalf telling Pippin that death is a path we must all take. But my favorite scene starts when the 5 Hobbits ride back into Hobbiton on their ponies and are looked at with suspicion for being out on "adventures" and then at the Green Dragon our heroes are sort of ignored in favor of the usual important things going on in the Shire like pumpkin growing. The look in the 4 Hobbits eyes before they do the toast is so poignant. You can see the pain, loss, sadness, and love for each other that they feel. They have gone through so much separately and together and have a bond that only a few others in Middle-earth can share. They saved the Shire and the people there don't even seem to know what happened on their little adventure. The Hobbits seem content that that is the case, do their no words necessary toast, then Sam decide that there is no use wasting any more time and rises up to ask Rosie to marry him. All that content and emotion with no words spoken!! The best scene I can think of out of so many good ones.

robadude32

Apr 3 2010, 3:34am

Post #313 of 360 (35100 views)
Shortcut
My Favorite Scne [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi My name is Rob. My favorite scene in Lord of the Rings is when Gandalf goes to Isengard to see Saruman. The chemistry between McKellen and Lee is astonishing. Thanks.

bjstewart

Apr 3 2010, 4:08am

Post #314 of 360 (36191 views)
Shortcut
I know there are only 4! [In reply to] Can't Post

Obviously I should have previewed my post before clicking "post reply". There were only 4 Hobbits returning, not 5. Sorry!

SilmeUmbar

Apr 3 2010, 4:31am

Post #315 of 360 (34439 views)
Shortcut
My favorite scene [In reply to] Can't Post

When the Dwarves begin to sing, "chip the glasses, crack the plates..." Sorry, wrong movie ;) I guess my favorite scene from LOTR is when Pippin begins to sing to Denethor as Faramir rides off to certain death in ROTK.

Talin013

Apr 3 2010, 4:48am

Post #316 of 360 (34782 views)
Shortcut

There are definitely tons of great scenes throughout these unbelievable movies. If I had to pick a favorite, it would have to be the beginning of the Two Towers where we are whisked back to the bridge of Khazad Dum to discover how Gandalf did not in fact fall in battle versus the Balrog of Morgoth. This scene goes to show us all just how much of a complete and total bad ass Gandalf is. I still get chills watching it.

flankera

Apr 3 2010, 1:41pm

Post #317 of 360 (36716 views)
Shortcut
Favorite scene [In reply to] Can't Post

My favorite scene in the triology is the last march of the Ents in the Two Towers. Between the beauty of the music, the special effects of the "trees coming to life" and the amazing camera move, it's just an outstanding moment in a triology filled with them.

renaissance_man

Apr 3 2010, 4:31pm

Post #318 of 360 (35840 views)
Shortcut

My favorite scene from LOTR is in Return of the King when Pippin sings for Denethor while Faramir and his men ride out to attack Osgiliath. The juxtaposition of the simple musical theme with one vocalist contrasted with the crazy visual energy on the screen is wonderfully gut-wrenching. Makes my skin crawl every time.

MariadBrandybuck

Apr 3 2010, 5:15pm

Post #319 of 360 (35450 views)
Shortcut
Blu ray giveaway :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that my favorite scene would have to be the Battle of the Hornburg. There's just of ton of effort that went into that scene, you can really tell. The fighting is choreographed so well, it really looks amazing, and it's very dramatic.

Gondolin

Apr 3 2010, 8:13pm

Post #320 of 360 (34201 views)
Shortcut

There are so many scenes I love from the movies and it took me a while to decide which one was really special to me. The scene I have chosen is when Elrond finds Aragorn at the Rohirrim camp to give him Anduril. I chose this specific scene because whenever I watch it I get all choked up. Elrond has always been one of my favorite characters and the fact that he rode that whole way to help Aragorn says a lot about his character. Obviously that is different than what happens in the book, but it fit so well in the movie, just the image of Elrond presenting Aragorn the sword that had been broken gives me chills no matter how many times I watch it. It was such a well executed scene and it speaks to me. I wish I could put my emotions into words, but it seems that my ability to do so has left me. It's just special to me to see that type of relationship.

Then Tuor stood before Turgon son of Fingolfin, High King of the Noldor, and ... and all that heard the voice of Tuor marvelled, doubting that this were in truth a Man of mortal race, for his words were the words of the Lord of the Waters that came to him in that hour. And he gave warning to Turgon that the Curse of Mandos now hastened to its fulfilment, when all the works of the Noldor should perish; and he bade him depart, and abandon the fair and mighty city that he had built, and go down Sirion to the sea.
But Turgon had become proud, and Gondolin as beautiful as a memory of Elven Tirion, and he trusted still in its secret and impregnable strength, though even a Vala should gainsay it. --The Silmarillion

davebo

Apr 3 2010, 10:39pm

Post #321 of 360 (34053 views)
Shortcut
The Last Alliance [In reply to] Can't Post

My favorite scene is this pivotal battle sequence at the beginning of Fellowship.
This scene was so powerful because it showed Sauron incarnate, his power and the power of the ring, setting the stage perfectly for the whole story.
I always wished this scene was longer and that it showed more of Sauron's capability. Still love this scene though, and the sounds that come from my subwoofer, as well as Galadriel's narration, are still breathtaking with every viewing.

(This post was edited by davebo on Apr 3 2010, 10:44pm)

Gene_Beane
The Shire

Apr 4 2010, 2:19am

Post #322 of 360 (33478 views)
Shortcut
Favorite Scene: The Bridge of Khazad-dûm [In reply to] Can't Post

A Favorite Scene From The Lord of the Rings? There are so many, I cannot even begin to wonder which one I will choose. I'm kidding: I actually know which one I would choose, but to leave out the others seem rather wrong in most cases (especially this one).

FAVORITE SCENE: "To The Bridge of Khazad-dûm!"
WHY?: Watching the Fellowship escape Balin's Tomb as a reinforcement of Orc-Goblins come scuttling around the corner and make a mad dash for the bridge was probably one of the most immersive moments I ever experienced in the theater, thus making it one of my favorite sequences from the The Fellowship of the Ring (next to the entire Extended Amon Hen Battle) along with one of the best action sequences in the trilogy. Without warning the scene just pulls you into the moment, makes you feel like your actually running with the Fellowship through Dwarrowdelf (despite the wide shots) as they try to escape Orc-Goblins swarming them from all sides. Once the Orcs have surrounded the Fellowshisp, the scene gives a convincing impression that they were doomed (for me, a movie-firster at the time), only to have the Orcs scared off by some monstrous being made completely of shadow and flame. A creature that could put fear into the heart of someone like Gandalf, send the Fellowship down a dizzying flight of stairs with very little stability (all while being attacked by stragling Orcs) and eventually get the best of the mighty wizard made for a nail-biting experience that left me in tears at the very end of it. I wore my soundtrack out just repeating track 13 over and over again.

seazl

Apr 4 2010, 3:45pm

Post #323 of 360 (33248 views)
Shortcut

March of the ENTS!

jan-u-wine
The Shire

Apr 4 2010, 4:17pm

Post #324 of 360 (34659 views)
Shortcut
favorites [In reply to] Can't Post

Gee, naming a favorite scene is sort of like being asked to decide which of your children you love best: the answer can't be given, for each are unique and equally as loveable. However....if I had to choose, I think, in book-verse, I'd have to choose the moment in Mordor when Sam sees the star:

"...The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him......the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach. His song in the Tower had been defiance rather than hope; for then he was thinking of himself. Now, for a moment, his own fate, and even his master's, ceased to trouble him."

The beauty of this does more than touch my heart, it does, indeed, *strike* with its intensity. Here is the moment when "simple" Sam becomes Harthad Uluithiad, Hope Unquenchable. Here is the moment when a new being is born, a being no longer thinking of himself or even his Master, but of a greater and larger good, the good of the Ages, not the simple *good* of the moment.

Movie scene: the reunion between Frodo and Bilbo in Rivendell, when, after looking at the Red Book, Frodo wistfully admits:'

"I'm not like you, Bilbo".

To me, this says all about the character of Frodo that ever need be said, encapsulates in one sentence who and what he is. The truth is.....it wasn't that Frodo was not like Bilbo. His "adventure" was not like Bilbo's. And yet, in this one scene, even prior to the Council, for eyes to see as can, we can perceive Frodo's reluctant and sad acceptance (though even he does not conciously know it) of what will be his fate. We can see the love that drives him, a love simple and complex, all at once.

These two scenes, book and film, show the same aspects of these two friends and Ringbearers: their deep and abiding love for things beyond their ken, things outside of themselves, things known only in the deepest places of the heart, a distillation of hope, both Unquenchable and Beyond Endurance.

I will not say the day is done,
Nor bid the stars farewell.

irishselkiegal

Apr 5 2010, 1:27pm

Post #325 of 360 (36506 views)
Shortcut

I'd have to say that my favorite scene is where the beacons are lit. It is a very inspirational piece of music, and Pippin gets his moment to shine! Hobbits are excellent climbers, you know.Cool

First page Previous page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.