The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming and Collecting:
What games have you been playing?

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Apr 1 2010, 5:35pm

Post #1 of 15 (967 views)
Shortcut
What games have you been playing? Can't Post

new season (spring here, fall there) new thread!

Let's see, I've been honing my skill as a modern (or rather a neomodern) warrior in COD: MW2. The AI combined with top shelf realism sucks you in hard and fast. Multiplayer is nasty but I think it has helped raise my game in Halo 3 (which I have also been playing), despite the differences in button layout.

Looking forward to Aragorn's Quest this fall.

What have you been playing?

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Apr 1 2010, 5:35pm)

Vangalad
Lorien

Apr 1 2010, 9:13pm

Post #2 of 15 (603 views)
Shortcut
I just finished playing... [In reply to] Can't Post

God of war III. Nice, brutal action game with great graphics, a bunch of weapons,combos,beautiful environments and some puzzles. The main disadvantages for me though were the unstoppable violation of the greek mythology and the exaggerating use of gore.

Donry
Tol Eressea

Apr 1 2010, 9:55pm

Post #3 of 15 (690 views)
Shortcut
Well.... [In reply to] Can't Post

My 360 is semi-hibernation.....I've played a bit of FIFA 10 on it recently...still love the 'Be A Pro' in that game......some poker on there as well....Mostly been play LOTRO a ton...almost daily after work. Five characters now, four new ones. FUN!

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Apr 2 2010, 1:18am

Post #4 of 15 (597 views)
Shortcut
Mass Effect 2, Tropico 3 [In reply to] Can't Post

Mass Effect 2 is SO good that it dominated my playing for a long while. I just got the expansion to Dragon Age so that will tie me up for a bit.

The trailer's for the two Middle-earth games are on the LOTR Blu-Ray.

Aragorn's Quest doesn't look impressive at all (sorry!). I hope it is great but . . .

The War in the North game however was quite interesting.

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

LordotRings93
Rohan

Apr 2 2010, 1:21am

Post #5 of 15 (662 views)
Shortcut
Lord of the Rings games of course [In reply to] Can't Post

Been playing The Fellowship Of The Ring, The Two Towers, Return Of The King, Battle For Middle-earth I&II, The Third Age, and Lord Of The Rings Online, of course.

The HUGEST Lord of the Rings fan ever!
Owner of all Lord of the Rings merchandise.
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

Donry
Tol Eressea

Apr 2 2010, 2:17am

Post #6 of 15 (1495 views)
Shortcut
I have heard a couple of [In reply to] Can't Post

good things now about that War in the North game......I'm gonna have to keep an eye on that one.......

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Apr 11 2010, 8:35pm

Post #7 of 15 (1586 views)
Shortcut
BFME, Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe, COD:MW2, Halo 3 [In reply to] Can't Post

BFME: Love love love the Rohan bits (which I am in the middle of again). I have a core army of Rohirrim veterans who roam around with Eomer mopping up wandering Orcs, and capturing farms and outposts. The Orc spear units pose a bit of a threat (I hate losing veteran units) but for the most part Eomer and co are unstoppable.

MK v DCU: Not a huge fan of these sorts of games but with the right company (think Seth Rogen and Paul Rudd playing MK in 40 Year Old Virgin) it can be a hoot.

COD:MW2: The few hundred thousand core players have a couple months of experience and upgrades on me which makes the online version harder than it needs to be at times. But it's hard to beat the intensity and realism of this game -- if you ignore the people who run around at double speed with sawed off shotguns that is.

Halo 3: Still popular with online gamers -- 2.5 years after its release it is safe to say players have got their money's worth. Halo Reach Beta is less than a month away and the buzz is strong.

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Apr 11 2010, 8:36pm)

Frodo's Pearl
The Shire

Apr 14 2010, 3:48pm

Post #8 of 15 (1993 views)
Shortcut
FOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

The Fellowship of the Ring game on PC. Heart

Yes, you have seen a thing or two since you last peeped out of a looking-glass. ~Frodo, FotR --- ..May you come to realize that insignificant as you may seem in this great universe, you are an important part of God's plan. May He watch over you and keep you safe from harm. ~Roma Downey
Artisan of the Shire

Legalize_Athelas
Lorien

Apr 17 2010, 3:12pm

Post #9 of 15 (908 views)
Shortcut
How is BFME II? [In reply to] Can't Post

A few years ago I played BFME non-stop, and absolutely loved it. I grew up enjoying the Command & Conquer series, and the BFME was a perfect fit for me.

LOTRO has since consumed my free time, and I'm a little sad that I haven't been roaming the fields with Eomer and Co. Laugh Should I pick up BFME II? Will I be blown away? My gaming fate lies in your capable hands, people.

Got Necroquestions? I'll give you Necromanswers.

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Apr 19 2010, 1:15am

Post #10 of 15 (1403 views)
Shortcut
Well I'm glad [In reply to] Can't Post

that you weren't playing a game non-stop that you absolutely hated
(sorry, I couldn't help myself Angelic)

I've never played BFME II, so I can't help you there

Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens

Legalize_Athelas
Lorien

Apr 20 2010, 8:33pm

Post #11 of 15 (797 views)
Shortcut
Sorry for being too literal. [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems like I work non-stop too, and I sure don't love that. Tongue

Correction: A few years ago I occasionally spent my free time playing an enjoyable video game entitled The Battle for Middle-earth.

Got Necroquestions? I'll give you Necromanswers.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Apr 21 2010, 2:55am

Post #12 of 15 (608 views)
Shortcut
heh [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes much time well spent.

As for BFME II: For me, because it strays much further from the structure and content of the films (and the books I might add) it didn't hit the nostalgia beat that BFME did. Actually, BFME felt so close to the films, I didn't notice the series was a redressed Command and Conquer until I played a bit of BFME II: Rise of the Witch King. That said, RTS in the C&C vein is always a crowd pleaser (as witness Halo Wars) so BFME II is definitely worth playing IMO.

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Apr 21 2010, 4:34am

Post #13 of 15 (1096 views)
Shortcut
I just couldn't let it pass [In reply to] Can't Post

similar to how I can't resist poking fun when people say they are going to "unthaw" something frozen when they really mean thaw Tongue

don't we all feel like we're working non-stop
I haven't been playing much at all for video games because of college (wow, they know how to give homework)

have fun with BFME 2 if you decide to play it Smile

(by the way, I like your signature, made me giggle)

Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens

SirDennisC
Half-elven

May 4 2010, 5:37am

Post #14 of 15 (524 views)
Shortcut
Almost forgot, Halo: Reach (Beta) launched today [In reply to] Can't Post

well yesterday, May 3rd 2010. You can access the Beta through your copy of ODST (not a bad game in its own right). Takes about 1.5 Gb so you will definitely need a 360 hard drive. Or wait, I think I read somewhere that you can use jump drives (aka usb drives) with the 360 now; an 8 gig stick can be had for a song these days, so there you go.

For our non-gamer readers, first, let me praise you. Second, a beta is an early release of a game for the purpose of gathering user feedback before wide release. Fans of a title will put the game through more rigorous use than the in house alpha testers, find glitches and exploits, and just about anything else that would annoy people after a wide release (which is really bad for business). Most if not all of these user found problems are fixed before the official release, saving the developers from "patching" (fixing) the product after the average consumer is already turned off and turning away other consumers. Beta testing is done for free, usually for the love of the game and/or gaming. It's kind of like the test screening we would all like to be invited to before The Hobbit's release.Wink

Anyone else going to play test Reach? I'll let you know what it's like as soon as possible (downloading as we speak).

Evermind
The Shire

May 5 2010, 3:16am

Post #15 of 15 (2505 views)
Shortcut
Alack and Alas... [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems I have very little time for gaming these days, and what time I do have is quickly devoured by World of Warcrack. I really want to try LOTRO, but I have a Mac, and though I could easily run bootcamp and toss Windows 7 on here, I just can't seem to break the addiction.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.