The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
EXCLUSIVE: The Official Hobbit Press Release! - THIS WAS APRIL FOOLS 2010
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Apr 1 2010, 7:05am

Post #1 of 93 (5190 views)
Shortcut
EXCLUSIVE: The Official Hobbit Press Release! - THIS WAS APRIL FOOLS 2010 Can't Post

According to a source very close to the production, this draft of the official press release is supposed to be released with the launch of the LOTR Blu-Ray set on April 6th. But as always, TheOneRing.net has it exclusively for you first! Read on!

"The Hobbit" to begin Principal Photography in New Zealand in October

Guillermo del Toro Directs International Cast

1st film release scheduled for late 2012

(Los Angeles, April 1, 2010) -- The Hobbit films will begin principal photography in Wellington, New Zealand, on October 11, 2010, under the direction of Guillermo del Toro, it was jointly announced today by Barry M. Meyer, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Warner Bros; Alan Horn, President and Chief Operating Officer of Warner Bros; Stephen Cooper, President and Chief Operating Officer of MGM; Toby Emmerich, President and Chief Operating Officer of New Line Cinema. The date marks the 11th anniversary of the start date of filming of "The Lord of the Rings," trilogy, also in New Zealand.

The production follows the tradition of Middle-earth movie-making by filming the two films in the saga -- "The Hobbit," in two parts -- not consecutively but concurrently, as though they were one giant motion picture production, a feat first established by "Lord of the Rings," director Peter Jackson who along with Fran Walsh, serves as Executive Producer for this production.

Based on J.R.R. Tolkien's novel originally written for children and beloved by readers of all ages, the film will have a same-day red carpet premieres around the globe on Tuesday, September 21st, 2012, the landmark 75th anniversary of the publication of "The Hobbit."

Those high-profile premiers will include cast, crew, guests of the film studios and media including a celebration in the writer's native Oxford, United Kingdom. Other participating cities are Hong Kong, Johannesburg, London, Los Angeles, New York, Rio de Janeiro, Rome, Salt Lake City, Tokyo and Wellington.

General release for the public will be on Friday, December 31, 2012.

"You see," joked director Guillermo del Toro, "we kept our promise to fans and released this film before the end of the world," in a reference to the Mayan calendar which concludes time on that date. "We recommend everybody take Friday off to catch an early screening -- just in case!"

The Lord of the Rings franchise stars (in alphabetical order) Cate Blanchett, Marton Csokas, Martin Freeman, Mark Ferguson, Sir Ian McKellen, Andy Serkis and Hugo Weaving with other cast members to be announced before production begins.

The screenplay is written by del Toro (Hellboy, El laberinto del fauno) Jackson (Meet The Feebles, King Kong); Walsh (Heavenly Creatures, The Lovely Bones) and Philippa Boyens (Lord of the Rings, District 9). The producers are Barrie M. Osborne (The Matrix, Face/Off), and Rick Porras (Contact, Lord of the Rings).

* MGM and Warner Bros. will co-finance and co-distribute two films, "The Hobbit" and a sequel to "The Hobbit." New Line will distribute in North America and MGM will distribute internationally.

* Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh will serve as Executive Producers of two films based on "The Hobbit." New Line, under direction of Warner Bros. will manage the production of the films.

(This post was edited by calisuri on Apr 4 2010, 5:04pm)

Anteor
Bree

Apr 1 2010, 12:54pm

Post #2 of 93 (2622 views)
Shortcut
I really really want to believe that [In reply to] Can't Post

but the date coupled with the current financial situation at MGM makes me really hesitant to

if more of us valued food and good cheer above gold and jewels. it would be a merrier world.

chrismortega
Bree

Apr 1 2010, 12:54pm

Post #3 of 93 (2294 views)
Shortcut
nice. [In reply to] Can't Post

This would be awesome if it weren't April 1st...

I like the casting though - MARTIN FREEMAN W00t!

ShortandStocky

Apr 1 2010, 12:58pm

Post #4 of 93 (2349 views)
Shortcut
April Fools? [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope that it isnt, but at the same time I hope it would be earlier. Almost an evil joke if so. Its like when you dream you win the lottery then wake up to find it fake.

I'm just glad Tobey Maguire isnt Bilbo.

macfalk
Valinor

Apr 1 2010, 1:11pm

Post #5 of 93 (2258 views)
Shortcut
Is this true?????? [In reply to] Can't Post

If it's not, its a very evil joke! If it just wouldnt be april 1st, now I dont know what to believe!

Reed Rothchild
The Shire

Apr 1 2010, 1:13pm

Post #6 of 93 (2193 views)
Shortcut
Uhhhh..... [In reply to] Can't Post

Nice try.

Uruk-Hai
The Shire

Apr 1 2010, 1:16pm

Post #7 of 93 (2341 views)
Shortcut
April Fools joke NOT funny when "Concerning Hobbits!!!" [In reply to] Can't Post

IF things with The Hobbit weren't so precarious, the joke might have been funny, but since things are NOT good right now, BAD FORM!Unsure

macfalk
Valinor

Apr 1 2010, 1:17pm

Post #8 of 93 (2274 views)
Shortcut
I see now its a joke [In reply to] Can't Post

Celeborn, jokes like this ARE NOT FUN. DONT JOKE ABOUT THIS TYPES OF MATTERS, PLEASE. I was just so overwhelmed by this when I saw the little "Fool" remark down there. For gods sake... find something else to joke about.

//very, very disapointed by this type of low jokes

deej
Tol Eressea

Apr 1 2010, 1:18pm

Post #9 of 93 (2221 views)
Shortcut
Did anyone else catch the 'fool' tag on the home page? [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool Nice one, guys! Still, it would be nice if this were true.

"...and back again."

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 1 2010, 1:19pm

Post #10 of 93 (2571 views)
Shortcut
try looking at the tags for the story. :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

The first tag is 'fool'.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 1 2010, 1:20pm

Post #11 of 93 (2187 views)
Shortcut
Life's too mysterious. Don't take it serious. [In reply to] Can't Post

This is tradition for TORn.

macfalk
Valinor

Apr 1 2010, 1:20pm

Post #12 of 93 (2442 views)
Shortcut
So what? [In reply to] Can't Post

Most people reads through the story before looking at the bottom. This was just low. Way low.

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 1 2010, 1:25pm

Post #13 of 93 (2468 views)
Shortcut
Oh for crying out loud [In reply to] Can't Post

TORn does this every year and I came here first upon turning on my computer just to see what was up this year.

It's April Fools. A perfect day to lighten up and laugh at the world.

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 1 2010, 1:26pm

Post #14 of 93 (2187 views)
Shortcut
I can remember one year when I actually fell for it [In reply to] Can't Post

It was rich. April Fools Jokes are always better when they get you.

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Apr 1 2010, 1:28pm

Post #15 of 93 (2181 views)
Shortcut
*giggles* [In reply to] Can't Post

I still think it's funny when the so called "serious" news sites pick up on them and run with it Laugh

Was wondering what the guys would do this year, excellent as usual Wink

One by one they faded, and fell into shadow...

~TORnado Babies~~10th Anniversary Thank You Cards to VIP's~~Laerasea's Travelling TORn Journal~
One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

calisuri
PTB

Apr 1 2010, 1:31pm

Post #16 of 93 (2187 views)
Shortcut
I cant wait to see who does... [In reply to] Can't Post

The bigger the website, the better. I love when the 'legit' agencies fall for our jokes!!

Artanis
Rohan

Apr 1 2010, 1:36pm

Post #17 of 93 (2141 views)
Shortcut
I'm glad we have this to joke about!!! Good one! HA HA // [In reply to] Can't Post

Artanis

rings7
Rohan

Post #18 of 93 (2140 views)
Shortcut
What the [In reply to] Can't Post

Has Martin Freeman been confirmed?? where was i?

macfalk
Valinor

Post #19 of 93 (2317 views)
Shortcut
Well, I get your point but... [In reply to] Can't Post

I was very well aware of that it was april 1st, and I wondered what they would come up with today - i wasnt tricked last year with the trilogy thing. When I now came home from work to check the site, I read this, exploading with happiness - and then I thought: hey, hang on, this cannot be a tasteless april joke, right?

I guess I was wrong... sigh.

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Post #20 of 93 (2161 views)
Shortcut
I've been checking [In reply to] Can't Post

so far no-one's picked it up. But it's early yet! Laugh

One by one they faded, and fell into shadow...

~TORnado Babies~~10th Anniversary Thank You Cards to VIP's~~Laerasea's Travelling TORn Journal~
One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

phredegar
Bree

Apr 1 2010, 1:43pm

Post #21 of 93 (2145 views)
Shortcut
April Fuel [In reply to] Can't Post

I most heartily agree. And Martin Freeman certainly no joke concerning Bilbo.Unimpressed

PotbellyHairyfoot

Apr 1 2010, 1:45pm

Post #22 of 93 (2187 views)
Shortcut
But it's not funny!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Normally when I get caught by an April 1st prank I'll laugh it off when I look back at the obvious gaffs in the article. I went to TORN this morning looking for humour and only found this

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 1 2010, 1:57pm

Post #23 of 93 (2135 views)
Shortcut
Just a small one on Facebook [In reply to] Can't Post

who are really proudly announcing that Martin Freeman is Bilbo *giggles*.

Reepicheep Took
The Shire

Apr 1 2010, 2:23pm

Post #24 of 93 (2253 views)
Shortcut
Bah! I fell for it! [In reply to] Can't Post

FrownFrownFrownFrownFrownFrownFrownFrownFrown
You *(&%$##!^%! ... and on the flipside: I'm an idiot.

... at least there's a Narnia flick to look forward to this year.

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Apr 1 2010, 9:20pm)

GAndyalf
Valinor

Apr 1 2010, 2:42pm

Post #25 of 93 (2104 views)
Shortcut
Like many, I fell for this one... [In reply to] Can't Post

Unlike many, I'm laughing along now. Too bad though because it's really good writing. Loved "del Toro's joke" about getting it done before the End of the World! I was highly suspicious about the release date though as no one releases films Dec 31st - EVER - as it misses the important Christmas season and certainly not THREE MONTHS after the "Premiere" though I smiled that said premiere would be for the 75th anniversary of The Hobbit's publication, which I "specially approved".
But on a semi-serious note: TORn-FOLK! If you cannot laugh about what is important to you then what good does it do when you laugh about unimportant things? Not being able to take a joke about things which are important to you is why a cartoonist in Holland has had death threats for years and why there is a lot of suffering in the world. We're all here because we love these books and what they mean, but let's face it - without the "Fool of a Took" the book would have been somewhat less for us, wouldn't it? Lighten up! Laugh about it. I want it to come out YESTERDAY too!

"Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.