Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
The Lord of the Rings Motion Picture Trilogy Blu Ray Giveaway
First page Previous page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next page Last page  View All

Nazdar

Mar 30 2010, 1:43am

Post #226 of 360 (34459 views)
Shortcut
My favorite scene [In reply to] Can't Post

Sam, splashing out to Frodo, nearly drowning. What a beautiful addition. It captures perfectly the pure heart and devotion of the only bearer to not lose himself to the Ring.

Gilithernil

Mar 30 2010, 1:49am

Post #227 of 360 (34572 views)
Shortcut
Favorite Scene [In reply to] Can't Post

My favorite would have to be Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit.
It's so very Hobbit-like to think of making stew while sitting outside the fortress of the Enemy.
I think that most other races would have been fearful from being so very close.

nusilver
Rohan

Mar 30 2010, 1:54am

Post #228 of 360 (34366 views)
Shortcut
My favorite scene... [In reply to] Can't Post

is the one at the end of the two towers:

"It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going. Because they were holding on to something.

What are we holding onto, Sam?

That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo... and it's worth fighting for.
"

I've associated this to a very dark time in my life, when I was going through a divorce in 2008...reading it out loud gets me teary.

In any case, thanks, torn!

bweldon

Mar 30 2010, 2:09am

Post #229 of 360 (34381 views)
Shortcut
The Bridge of Kazhad Dum.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Plain and simple Gandalf Vs the Balrog. Probably the best recreation of the actual text from the books.

fool_of_a_took
The Shire

Mar 30 2010, 2:11am

Post #230 of 360 (35181 views)
Shortcut
Favorite scene [In reply to] Can't Post

My favorite scene is simply when Gandalf first rides into Hobbiton. Something about the color of the grass and the sky, the feeling of coming home. Gandalf's smirk.

My first son will be born in the next few days. When he grows up, I want him to feel "at home" in Middle Earth as much as I do.

mungomunro

Mar 30 2010, 2:38am

Post #231 of 360 (35142 views)
Shortcut
The enchanted galadriel scene [In reply to] Can't Post

The enchanted galadriel scene as she struggles to resist the one ring that Frodo has offered her.

That which does not kill me makes me a Zombie.

chucklee

Mar 30 2010, 2:44am

Post #232 of 360 (35196 views)
Shortcut
chucklee's favorite scene [In reply to] Can't Post

Sam and Frodo crawling up Mt. Doom, with James Galway's flute playing... Sam holding Frodo, and talking about the taste of strawberries. Frodo can't remember the taste of food, and can only see that blasted wheel of fire with his waking eyes. Sam picks up Frodo to the strains of the "Into the West" theme and finishes the long, hard climb to just within sight of the door.

nonamico

Mar 30 2010, 2:52am

Post #233 of 360 (34869 views)
Shortcut
Favorite Scene: Boromir's death [In reply to] Can't Post

Boromir's death is my favorite scene for a number of reasons:
  • His redemption in fighting to protect Merry & Pippen, and his realization of his corruption by the ring
  • I see this as the moment that Aragorn takes the first step out of his exile
  • The awesome performances of Sean Bean and Viggo Mortensen

scribh

Mar 30 2010, 2:56am

Post #234 of 360 (34530 views)
Shortcut
My Favorite LOTR Scene [In reply to] Can't Post

I would have to say that in my opinion the best scene in LOTR is Sam's speech to Frodo in the end of The Two Towers. It is full of hope, resilience, and excellently outlines the central themes of the books and movies, even though it isn't in Tolkien's writing.

Daelar The Green

Mar 30 2010, 2:58am

Post #235 of 360 (34632 views)
Shortcut
My Favorite Scene [In reply to] Can't Post

My favorite scene is in the beginning of The Two Towers, as the view pans in on the misty mountains and you hear Gandalf's voice faintly in the background. It grows ever clearer and stronger as the camera shot gets closer and closer to the snow-capped mountains. Finally, the scene bursts through the mountain and into the chasm that Gandalf and the Balrog have been descending for time uncounted. As Gandalf and the Balrog battle one another as they plummet deeper and deeper into the depths of the abyss, the music that accompanies their fall also grows deeper and fuller. Finally, the most beautiful moment to me is when the scene breaks away from the close up of their battle and we watch as the fiery Balrog and Gandalf enter into the underground cavern, with what appears to be a gorgeous lake fast approaching them. The slow motion along with the music that accompanies their entry and descent into this cavern is exquisite. Bravo Peter Jackson and Howard Shore... bravo.

KingElessar

Mar 30 2010, 3:27am

Post #236 of 360 (35260 views)
Shortcut

If I were to pick just one it would be the coronation scene... and for so many reasons. Aragorn's reaction to seeing Arwen, Elrond's expression changing for a split second when Arwen steps away from him. The most heartfelt and passionate kiss and most of all Aragorn's absolute surprise at the hobbits bowing to him and him saying "My friends... you bow to no one" with such love and admiration in his eyes. The whole thing is a rollercoaster ride emotionally. Very beautiful... as is all of the three films. Before watching The Return of the King I had found myself with a lump in my throat before while watching a movie but with Return of the King NEVER have I had such a hard time trying not to cry in a movie theater. I couldn't believe it. I remember looking away and trying to calm myself down and regain my composure so many times... especially at the very end. My Wife sitting on one side of me, my Mother on the other... the theater packed, and there I sat wide-eyed and about to burst into tears over and over again. The only thing that had EVER pulled that kind of emotion out of me was when my Daughter was born. Now I usually watch the movies alone and when emotions run high... I don't hold back at all.

My Friends... you bow to no one...

MastaBaggins

Mar 30 2010, 3:55am

Post #237 of 360 (35321 views)
Shortcut

My favorite scene is in The Two Towers when Gandalf reveals himself as Gandalf the white to Legolas, Gimli, and Aragorn. I like this scene because it begins my favorite character back into the story. Gandalf in so many was is a very instrumental part of the movies and books and without his guidance the fellowship would never have succeeded.

One game to rule them all
By this I mean LOTRO of course

Elinare

Mar 30 2010, 4:31am

Post #238 of 360 (35603 views)
Shortcut

It's hard, but I'm going to have to go with the Battle of Helm's Deep. I can't narrow it down much more than that, even if the Legolas 'skateboarding' trick was pretty amazing.

mos jef

Mar 30 2010, 4:39am

Post #239 of 360 (35232 views)
Shortcut

My favorite scene is near the end of Return of the King as we drift through a tranquil and quiet Bag End. I pause the dvd there every time and just stare. That place, to me, is pure heaven. It's the one place I could spend eternity.

merrylg

Mar 30 2010, 4:43am

Post #240 of 360 (34622 views)
Shortcut

Oh, so many to choose from!

Perhaps the scene where Denethor eats dinner while Pippin sings and Faramir's troops are slaughtered by Orcs. I'm saddened and disgusted and amazed and overwhelmed by the beauty, heroism, and pointlessness of it all. Sometimes it's hard to breathe, especially when I'm watching that in hi-def. Wow, just wow.

davinjpr

Mar 30 2010, 4:49am

Post #241 of 360 (36745 views)
Shortcut
Favourite Scene [In reply to] Can't Post

Favourite scene is still from the theatrical version of Fellowship. It's the ride through the shire on Gandalf's wagon, Frodo and Gandalf's conversation.

toeoffrog

Mar 30 2010, 4:54am

Post #242 of 360 (36353 views)
Shortcut
"a clear ringing as of silver trumpets." [In reply to] Can't Post

By FAR my favorite scene is the montage of Gandalf and Pippin riding through Minas Tirith on the way to consult with Denethor. Every time I watch it, I'm stunned by what I'm seeing - and in that respect, I feel that Jackson and the rest of the filmmakers perfectly illustrated Tolkien's description of the moment. All at once, I want to scream "Slow down, I want to look at this place a little closer!" and "Go a bit faster, you've got business to take care of!"

headcold

Mar 30 2010, 5:33am

Post #243 of 360 (35204 views)
Shortcut
It makes me sad. [In reply to] Can't Post

The original post says "your favorite scene" and tell us why it is your favorite theme. A little confusing, and apparently a typo.

My current favorite scene is at the beginning when Samwise and Frodo see the wood elves going west. "I don't know why, Mr. Frodo, but it makes me sad."

There are multiple things going on here. The elves are giving up hope. Also, it allows us a glimpse to see that Sam's innocence. It is a clue that something big is happening in the world.

Konkawak

Mar 30 2010, 7:00am

Post #244 of 360 (35614 views)
Shortcut
ROHAN! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think one of my favorite scenes in the Lord of the Rings movies would be in The Two Towers

Forth Eorlingas I think the scene is called as well as the title of it in the soundtrack

When King Théoden rides with Aragorn and a few remaining warriors out of the Hornburg in the end of the the Battle at Helms Deep there.
Its climax being Gandalf arriving with the other Rohirrim outside the fortress who then with blasting rays of sunlight storm into the enemy ^^

just brilliant :3

phredegar
Bree

Mar 30 2010, 8:37am

Post #245 of 360 (35752 views)
Shortcut
My favourite scene [In reply to] Can't Post

Sam has met Dark Riders, Gollum, the Dead Marshes, escaped orcs and the fire mountain; my favourite moment is to see him have courage plucked up enough to down his ale and talk to Rosie CottonHeart

Kungfuyu

Mar 30 2010, 9:17am

Post #246 of 360 (37275 views)
Shortcut
Pelennor Fields [In reply to] Can't Post

My favorite scene has to be the Battle of the Pelennor Fields, and specifically, the climactic moment when Eowyn destroyed the Witch-king once and for all. The rolling drums coupled with the appearance of the Rohirrim perfectly buildup to the heroic charge down the hill. Momentum seemed to be on Rohan's side, until the appearance of the Mumakil fill Theoden's eyes with fear and dread. The battle turns chaotic as Eowyn and Merry become separated. Unexpectedly, a heart-warming interlude about Gandalf's longing for white shores briefly prepare us for the death of King Theoden at the hands of the Witch-king. Eowyn, shieldmaiden of Rohan, finally gets her chance to fight, and she does not disappoint as she slays the fellbeast. Yet, this match-up was never in Eowyn's favor as an enraged Witch-king emerges unfazed and seemingly invincible. Eowyn is quickly defeated, while the Witch-king gloats that "no man can defeat me" and slowly strangles her to death. However, Merry, just another simple hobbit in the greatest battle of the Third Age, stabs the Witch-king in the ankle and makes him mortal once again. Eowyn, taking off her helmet, declares, "I am no man!" With a final thrust into the dark helm of the Witch-king, Eowyn smite down the greatest servant of Sauron. Afterwards, with the defeat of their greatest leader, the Mordor army is quickly defeated by the combined forces of Gondor, Rohan, and the newly arrived Army of the Dead, led by Aragorn, the heir to the throne of Gondor. The aftermath of the battle is not a happy one for the victors. Eowyn bids her great king and beloved uncle a final farewell as he dies under Snowmane, his horse. Pippin looks in vain for his best friend Merry, while Eomer is stricken by the greatest grief from the battle as he finds his sister at the brink of death. Aragorn barely manages to save Eowyn from death, but, in her grief, she does not have the heart to smile anymore. Finally, after a long day of searching through carcasses, Pippin recognizes Merry's hobbit feet under a fallen orc and promises to take care of him, just like how Merry had always looked after him.

No other sequence in the trilogy conveyed so much intensity, love, and grief as the events on the Pelennor Fields.

slflew

Mar 30 2010, 9:43am

Post #247 of 360 (35154 views)
Shortcut
Favorite Scene - I have to choose one? [In reply to] Can't Post

Gosh, I have so many.

Perhaps one of the greatest - one of the ones that are so awesome they have you holding your breath - is when Gandalf falls from the Bridge of Khazad-dum and fights the Balrog, at the beginning of the Two Towers. It was a brilliant way to begin the film, and the music is awe-inspiring as well.

Well that's one of a thousand.

greyhavens

Mar 30 2010, 9:51am

Post #248 of 360 (35874 views)
Shortcut

So many to choose from. The one scene that sticks out the most for me is in The Fellowship of the Ring (which, by the way is my favorite of the three movies) when Gandalf and Frodo are sitting side by side in Moria and they are discussing the fact that Frodo wishes the Ring had never come to him. Gandalf's word's of encouragement and wisdom well taken. It's moments like that throughout the movie (and life) that are just so moving and thoughtful!

virtualx

Mar 30 2010, 12:33pm

Post #249 of 360 (35996 views)
Shortcut
Favorite scene [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd have to say my favorite scene occurs near the end of "Fellowship." Frodo is departing for Mordor on his own, but Sam is having none of it. He pursues Frodo, only to appear to drown. At the last moment, however, Frodo rescues him and they have a tender moment in the boat. Such a beautiful scene. Everything was perfect: the score, the acting, the script. The conviction of their mission, the strength of their friendship, and the urgency of the situation all shone in that moment. Just magnificent...

VermontHobbit
The Shire

Mar 30 2010, 12:35pm

Post #250 of 360 (36083 views)
Shortcut
The Battle of Helms Deep when it starts to rain [In reply to] Can't Post

When the rain starts to fall on the armor of the host manning the battlements at Helm's Deep... that is just such an iconic movie moment! Priceless!

First page Previous page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.