Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
The Lord of the Rings Motion Picture Trilogy Blu Ray Giveaway
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

reuelreuel

Mar 26 2010, 3:18am

Post #126 of 360 (36536 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf, my old friend . . .this will be a night to remember [In reply to] Can't Post

My favorite scene, by far, would be when Bilbo and Gandalf are smoking pipeweed during The Fellowship of the Ring and Bilbo says "Gandalf, my old friend . . .this will be a night to remember"

Ceilidh Celine

Mar 26 2010, 3:22am

Post #127 of 360 (36174 views)
Shortcut
canadian [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello! I would love to enter, but I'm Canadian. Is there a contest for us "internationals"? Isn't this an international site? I'm curious about the country restriction. Can anyone tell me?

Favorite scene?: almost an impossible question! My favorite scene is probably when Gandalf is telling Pippin not to be afraid of death. The entire mise-en-scene is beautiful! The lines are gorgeous paired with excellent performances as well as music, lighting, cinematography... everything. But that pretty much goes for every scene of the trilogy. Smile

batik
Tol Eressea

Mar 26 2010, 3:33am

Post #128 of 360 (36876 views)
Shortcut
the kissing scene! the kissing scene! [In reply to] Can't Post

...or rather the whole scene with Arwen and Aragorn on the bridge in Rivendell--words of when they first met, Arwen's giving the *jewel* to Aragorn, lovely vocals in the background, romantical lighting...sigh. Heart Wuv, twue, wuv!

yuckabuck

Mar 26 2010, 3:38am

Post #129 of 360 (36442 views)
Shortcut
The finale of Fellowship: Moral Courage [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe The Fellowship of the Ring is one of the greatest movies ever made, and I ball like a baby every time I watch the ending. (And that's something for a stoic guy like me!) I see 5 examples of moral courage displayed in the ending, some found in Tolkien and a few added for the movie:

1) The Courage to Resist Temptation
Aragorn chooses to NOT give in and take the ring of power in order to become king (in direct opposition to Boromir, who has just given in to temptation).
2) The Courage to Sacrifice For Others to the Point of Endangering Yourself
When Merry and Pippin realize that their friend is going to leave them, they purposely get the attention of the pursuing orcs, so that they will be followed instead of Frodo, thereby placing themselves in danger.
3) The Courage to Make Up For Our Sins, No Matter the Cost
Boromir seeks to "do penance" for his sin of trying to take the ring. He stands alone and defends Merry and Pippin to the death.
4) The Courage to Do What's Right No Matter the Obstacles
Frodo sees how the ring is causing hatred and discord among his friends, and chooses to go alone to destroy it.
5) The Courage to Keep Our Commitments No Matter the Obstacles or Cost
Sam had made a promise to Gandalf that he would never leave Frodo, and that he would protect him. Frodo says "I'm going alone." Sam says, "Of course you are. And I'm coming with you." One of my favorite lines!

I can't think of a movie scene anywhere that hits me as hard as this whole sequence. (And the coolest thing in there is when Aragorn stands at the top of the stairs to the Seat on Amon Hen and single-handedly holds off an entire army!)

alancz

Mar 26 2010, 4:24am

Post #130 of 360 (35542 views)
Shortcut
Favorite Scene [In reply to] Can't Post

My favorite scene is in Return of the King when Sam and Frodo are climbing Mt. Doom. When Sam says "I can't carry the Ring but I can carry you!" It shows his love for his friend and his dedication to getting the job done, one way or another.

Puddum
The Shire

Mar 26 2010, 5:07am

Post #131 of 360 (35802 views)
Shortcut
All of them! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's hard to pin down one specific favorite scene, but I'm going to have to go with Bilbo's birthday party in FotR. That scene epitomizes what I love about hobbits- their joy and simplicity and love of a good time. It shows all four main hobbits having a great time before any of the darkness of the war tainted them and it always fills me with a warm, happy nostalgia.

Erulisse17

Mar 26 2010, 5:20am

Post #132 of 360 (36793 views)
Shortcut
Favorite Scene [In reply to] Can't Post

A little known scene from the extended edition of Return of the King, when Merry and Eowyn are riding to Pelenor, and Merry tries to encourage Eowyn.

“I know it is too late to turn aside. I know there is not much point now in hoping. I’m a hobbit, and I know I can’t save Middle Earth. I just want to help my friends. More than anything I wish I could see them again.”
These people aren’t out to save the world, just each other.

inam0330

Mar 26 2010, 5:30am

Post #133 of 360 (36198 views)
Shortcut
The Ride of the Rohirrim [In reply to] Can't Post

CoolThis scene is not only my favorite scene in the trilogy but my favorite and best in all of the movies i've ever scene. This scene is so powerful and inspiring. It shows how 6000 people can take on 250 000 orcs without any fear or doubt. It shows the bravery in humans even when they have to hope to survive they ride for VICTORY!!! I specially love the wide shots where you can see King Theoden riding ahead and everyone else is following him forming a shape of a huge V on the screen. It is the BEST secene in the history of movie making.Smile This scene also has stunning visual effects. And when the riders ride up on the hill at the beggining of the scene you can see the sun rising in the background which also makes this scene beautiful. Arise Arise riders of Theoden!! Ride for Ruin and the World is Ending!!!!Heart

oldlotrfan

Mar 26 2010, 6:46am

Post #134 of 360 (36649 views)
Shortcut
Faramir & Eowyn [In reply to] Can't Post

Faramir & Eowyn both suffered so much tragedy and despair until... they met in the Houses of Healing. It was one of the best interludes in the book and a welcome addition to the ee of ROTK. With all the focus on the other characters, it's nice to see the attention to detail that Tolkien & PJ put into allowing these two potentially tragic characters find love & each other. sigh.

Red5bv06

Mar 26 2010, 8:45am

Post #135 of 360 (35788 views)
Shortcut
Balrog [In reply to] Can't Post

My favorite scene is Gandalf v. the Balrog in FOTR.
It is exactly like I wanted it to be. Ian McKellen and whoever animated the Balrog are awesome in the scene.

dormouse
Half-elven

Mar 26 2010, 9:05am

Post #136 of 360 (35860 views)
Shortcut
Should just mention... [In reply to] Can't Post

.. I've just read through five pages of posts and agreed with almost all of them. but one of my favourites which I don't think anyone has mentioned is the scene in the Green Dragon right near the end of the extended RotK, when Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pippin are seated at the table surrounded by jolly, uncaring hobbits who haven't a clue what they've been through. Without a word being spoken you see exactly what they're thinking and are taken back just for a moment through the horrors each of them has endured. It's so true emotionally, not only for the story but also in the context of the First World War from which so much of the story sprang. Sheer genius, I'd say....

This wasn't a contest entry from me 'cos it can't be, I'm not in America. I just enjoy talking about the films! Smile

gimliandpippenrule

Mar 26 2010, 1:48pm

Post #137 of 360 (36801 views)
Shortcut
My favorite scene [In reply to] Can't Post

So many of the scenes that you have listed are favorites of mine and are very powerful, Theoden's speech, the ents attacking Isengard, all the scenes with frodo and gollum...all fantastic.

But my fav scene has to come from Fellowship of the Ring, because this is the movie that introduced us to this version of Lord of the rings and what captured and trapped me (happily) in this world.

When Gandalf's cart comes around the bend and we see the shire and the fantastic score kicks in, I was hooked and was tearing up in the theater.

hbpreston

Mar 26 2010, 3:14pm

Post #138 of 360 (35905 views)
Shortcut
Just one is so difficult to choose [In reply to] Can't Post

The emotional impact of the scene after the fellowship (minus Gandalf) escapes the Mines of Moria might be my favorite. After the amazing battle sequences in Balin's tomb, the flight to the bridge and then Gandlalf's sacrifice, the impact of just the visuals with the music overlaid is a beautiful thing, albiet very sad. Watching the impact of the loss of Gandalf on the hobbit's is heart breaking.

edoras826

Mar 26 2010, 3:44pm

Post #139 of 360 (36178 views)
Shortcut
favorite scene [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd say my favorite scene is in the two towers, when Gandalf returns with Eomer and the Riders of Rohan and they charge down the hill to Helm's Deep. The score at this point in the movie is just lovely.

liederlover

Mar 26 2010, 3:49pm

Post #140 of 360 (37484 views)
Shortcut
my favorite LOTR scenes [In reply to] Can't Post

well, I will choose one from each of the trilogy movies. For FOTR: I love the scene where Arwen faces down the Ringwraiths at the Ford. I know, know, it's not in the actual book, but is an excellent scene showing how ALL in Middle Earth (i.e. the Elves) must be involved in the saving of the Ring from Sauron. A good showing of feminine bravery and skill, which is NOT part of the original, but is most welcome. I really do like that PJ expanded Arwen into a full person and hero rather than just the rather remote being she is in JRR's books. For TT: Sam's speech in the middle of raining death 'that there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo...' Sam, the heart of the books and the heart of the movies, is evolvng as a person and a hero. He just said it all, for himself as much as for everyone else. For ROTK: so many, but most especially Sam & Frodo on the slopes of Mt. Doom as Sam carries him. What can I say? It moves me to tears each time. And Merry and Pippin as Pip finds Merry on the battlefield. Friendship, friendship, and the ties not of blood that bind us and keep the world rolling. Frodo & Sam and Merry & Pippin are there for each other over and over again. The whole is so much stronger than the parts. Even the smallest person--- Oh--and the Rohirrim riding to the aid of Gondor. I cheer and holler every time. So stirring! Eowyn facing the Witch King over the body of her beloved Uncle/King. Love will find a way--- HOW CAN WE CHOOSE JUST ONE SCENE??!! The entire series is so moving and thrilling!!

skarrin

Mar 26 2010, 4:03pm

Post #141 of 360 (36857 views)
Shortcut
My favorite scene [In reply to] Can't Post

There are so many - Eagles, Ents ripping Isengard apart, the Battle of Pelennor Fields, the last stand before the Morannon.

But without question, far and above the rest, is the farewell of Frodo at the Grey Havens. Sure, it's a tear-jerker - a long, sobby mess - but that's what it's for: it's catharsis, it's a PERIOD at the end of the sentence that is "The Lord of the Rings", it's a release for the other three Hobbits to return to their lives, and it's the other end - the dark, melancholy end - of the arc that starts so bright and cheerful with Frodo reading his book, sitting under a tree, just before Gandalf arrives for the Long-Expected Party.

RREILLE1

Mar 26 2010, 4:07pm

Post #142 of 360 (38198 views)
Shortcut
The departure of Boromir - favorite scene [In reply to] Can't Post

The start of Aragorn's fight with the uruk hai through Boromir's death, both visually & sound is the best piece of movie making I have ever seen. It still gives me goose bumps every time it starts. It was the first scene I ever put on my home theatre and it is why I will buy the blu ray when it becomes available. I have been a fan of film for 50 years, and nothing has compared to the Lord of the Rings in my estimation.

mglit

Mar 26 2010, 5:40pm

Post #143 of 360 (34678 views)
Shortcut
Favorite Scene... [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, there's many. What comes to mind right now is near the end of FoTR when Frodo makes the decision to go on alone but Sam won't let him. To me it is just such a great emotional scene that shows Frodos love of his friends (the fellowship) and not wanting them to get hurt during his task. What really makes it great is when sam just cannot let him do it alone. He shows that he is willing to do anything for thier friendship and to keep his promise.

I know I have not done the scene justice by my explanation but that scene just always makes me feel good. I love it.

Arda Frog

Mar 26 2010, 5:42pm

Post #144 of 360 (36453 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf vs Balrog (Fellowship of the Ring) [In reply to] Can't Post

My fave scene from the trilogy is "You Shall Not Pass" aka Gandalf vs the Balrog!!! It is how I envisioned the battle when I read the books! I love how they used John Howe's version of the Balrog!!! I've always loved the History of Middle Earth because it has more info on Balrogs! And I've always loved Diablo the PC game because I feel they modeled Diablo after the Balrog!

RosesMom

Mar 26 2010, 5:57pm

Post #145 of 360 (35097 views)
Shortcut
My Favorite Scene [In reply to] Can't Post

My favorite scene is in The Return of the King, where Pippin is singing for Denethor, while Faramir is riding into a hopeless battle against the Orcs. I love the way the scene cuts between the 2 stories, with Pippin's singing accompanying the action. I was amazed by how nice a voice Billy Boyd has.

ZeddZulZorander
The Shire

Mar 26 2010, 6:05pm

Post #146 of 360 (36003 views)
Shortcut
Gandolf/Balrog + Leaving Moria [In reply to] Can't Post

My favorite scene is the one with Gandalf opposing the Balrog on the bridge of Kazadoom. Gandalf knocks apart the bridge and sends the Balrog flying down the abyss, but is snagged at the last moment by the whip in the Balrog's hand and Gandalf whispers harshly, "Fly you fools!" and then falls with the Balrog. In the next moment many things happen: Frodo lets out this wail the likes of which haunt you for days, arrows stream back and forth between some Orcs and Legolas and as the Fellowship exits Moria, they begin to realize what just happened and so some of them cry and some of them bare it quietly. In both cases, it is very moving and I feel it is one of the strongest parts of the entire trilogy. The music all the while has you wanting to cry along with the actors on screen.

muffy57

Mar 26 2010, 6:32pm

Post #147 of 360 (35287 views)
Shortcut
My favorite scene... [In reply to] Can't Post

Arwen and Aragon's wedding.Heart

sciteach

Mar 26 2010, 6:44pm

Post #148 of 360 (35080 views)
Shortcut
my favorite scene [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf's stand against the Balrog has always been my favorite, for so many reasons. "You shall not pass!"
And of course the hopelessness the Fellowship feels at his loss is overwhelming. You always felt safe if Gandalf was by your side, and to lose him... This was also a scene the movie really hit well, with the singing as the remains of the Fellowship escape from the Mines.

Neleh2mt

Mar 26 2010, 6:58pm

Post #149 of 360 (35993 views)
Shortcut
Favorite scene [In reply to] Can't Post

My favorite is in Fellowship when Aragorn lets Frodo go and turns to face the Urukai. He has this moment where he raises his sword in front of his face and it looks like some sort of blessing or something. He's just passed his greatest challenge in not taking the One Ring and is now facing a horde of enemies on his own. I love that moment.

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Mar 26 2010, 8:00pm

Post #150 of 360 (35951 views)
Shortcut
what do we have here? [In reply to] Can't Post

A contest? One without a ridiculously low chance of winning? I might as well enter Wink
Okay, so assuming we mean scenes from PJ's movies, I'll have to go with:

I didn't think it would end this way.

End? No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path... One that we all must take.
The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all change to silver glass...
...And then you see it.

What? Gandalf? ... See what?

White shores... and beyond. A far green country under a swift sunrise.

Well, that isn't so bad.

No... No it isn't.

It's just such a beautiful scene, one that makes me tear up anytime and feel like say "No, no that isn't so bad, is it?"
I was glad that PJ was able to work that description into his movies in some way

Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.