The Lord of the Rings Motion Picture Trilogy Blu Ray Giveaway
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

kactuscooler

Mar 25 2010, 6:58pm

Post #101 of 360 (34196 views)
Shortcut
my favorite scene [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
There are so many to choose from but if I have to choose one of them, I'd have to pick..Legolas and Gimli competing for highest number of "kills" at Helms Deep during The Two Towers. This movie was primarily dark and their banter gave some much needed light heartedness to their scenes. Smile

Will Remy
Jay Goldstein
CRTV 126 AF
23 Sept. 2009

Assignment 1 Shot List

Subject description- Lord of the Rings. The Two Towers. Chapter 38. The elf army joins the fight at Helmes Deep. Portrayed at night so lighting is low key [moon or torch] in general unless I specify otherwise or additional. As is most of the film, hues are of grey tones and subtle colors. All shot transitions are standard cuts. This scene is about 1.5 minutes but as is Peter Jacksonfs style there are many shots involved.
@
1] Close shot, face head and shoulders of two characters. In the castle armory, one in foreground in focus, the other farther and slightly unfocused. They are distracted by something [horns]. Camera is eye level. Key light on front character, low light in background [as mentioned above].
2] Cut to long shot. Details of armory and 2 persons exiting, running, towards camera left. POV is behind, slightly above characters looking down, high angle. Medium lighting entire scene.
3] Cut to medium shot. The 2 characters exiting up a stone staircase. POV is from behind and slightly down, low angle. Key lighting is provided from above and outside the door opening at the top of the stairs, above and to the camera left. Low lighting elsewhere.
4] Cut to medium shot. 3 guards in triad configuration on castle wall. Camera dollies towards the characters as one more crowds into the scene, and they move forward and peer over the wall. Eye level shot. Medium light in the foreground, 3 point.
5] Cut to medium-long shot transition. Panning and tilting shot of soldiers marching in formation up pathway to castle entrance. Angle from behind left and slightly above, high angle. Medium lighting entire scene, 3 point.
6] Cut to medium shot. Same troops marching, as seen from inside the castle entrance. Camera in front and to the left of subjects. Eye level. Medium lighting. Quick shot.
7] Cut to close up. A castle guard observing the entrance of the soldiers as they pass in between him and the camera. Guard is focused, marchers slightly unfocused. Eye level. Medium lighting from above. Quick shot.
8] Cut to long shot. Marching men moving along interior corridor with guards observing, one in the foreground center above them with his back to the camera. POV is over the shoulder of the man in the foreground. Medium lighting. Quick shot.
9] Cut to same shot as #7 but with different guard.
10] Cut to long shot. Shot of marching men but only tops of heads and weapons above. Camera pans and tilts to reveal some faces. POV above head level. Low light. Quick shot.
11] Cut to medium shot. The king is descending stairs towards the camera, with his troops around him, all looking with amazement at the marching men. Angle is street eye level, panning and tilting down following the king, transitioning [trucking] to a view from behind the king on the street at his shoulder level. Medium light with an accent light at the back of the scene, seen through a doorway.
12] Cut to wide shot. Shot of the marchers and their leader [in center front], he is wearing a burgundy cape which accents him. All others are in grays. They are in the courtyard of the castle, the king is in foreground left with his back to the camera. Eye level shot from behind the king who is slightly above all else. The camera pans and tilts to follow the marchers who are moving towards the camera. The marcherfs leader has 3 point light on him.
13] Cut to 180 degree switch from previous. Now the leaderfs back is to camera and the king is facing us. Some additional characters in the background. They are conversing. Both main characters now have key lighting.
14] Cut to close up. Subject is the marcherfs leader who is making a declaration. Eye level shot. Speaker is 3 point lit. The background is slightly unfocused, marchers moving past, they stop and remain still- become focused.
15] Cut to close up. King is listening intently. Eye level. 3 point lighting, low background. Quick shot.
16] Cut back to scene #14. Leader continues his declaration.
17] Cut to long shot. Kings guards collected in the background on steps, backs of the king and the leader in foreground left and right, 3 new characters entering the scene from back right. They proceed forward and down the steps and end up on the street with the king. The camera pans and tilts to follow the subjects and ends on a medium shot of the main players. Lighting is high on the king and the leader, and also the 3 others when they join them.
18] Cut to close up. Shot of leader and new character in a hug, leaders back to camera. POV behind leader and eye level. Medium lighting from above.
19] Cut to very close shot. Leader displays some circumstantial discomfort in his face shot. Eye level. Medium lighting. Quick shot.
20] Cut to medium shot. Hug is ended. All characters show mixed emotion in response. [happy and curious]. Eye level. Medium lighting.
21] Cut to long shot. Formation of the marchers left half of screen, and another character in a hug with the leader [others are present] screen right. Eye level shot. Medium lighting from above with accent lighting from behind archway scene left.
22] Cut to medium shot. Marchers esalutingf the king with a coordinated left turn of their heads. Medium 3 point lighting. Eye level shot, head and shoulders. Quick shot.
23] Cut to close shot. Marchers now turn their bodies to align with their heads- completing the salute to the king. They also strike their bows to the ground for emphasis. This is a combination of two angles, first from behind right, then to forward left, eye level. Medium lighting. . Quick shots.
24] Cut to medium shot. Leader of marchers again addressing the king. From behind the leader, his back is camera left. King shows disbelief and relief in his face. Eye level. Medium lighting. Quick shot.
25] Cut to close up. Frontal shot of the leader and one of the new characters, while the leader is completing his statement of commitment to the king. The leader is forward left screen and the other is away [slightly unfocused] and right screen. Eye level. Medium and 3 point lighting. END OF SCENE.
@
@
Discussion/Analysis
The atmosphere at this point in the movie is that of desperation, the characters in the castle face certain destruction. The audience is certainly anticipating some kind of hope to be presented, and this scene brings about that hope. The expressions evoked by the castlefs occupants portray that of disbelief, denial, amazement, and then acceptance and great joy. The scenes well communicate those feelings and translate them to the audience. I believe also that the gray and dark atmosphere relates the seriousness of the situation, even after the hope is offered to the audience and story.

gwboivie

Mar 25 2010, 7:05pm

Post #102 of 360 (33554 views)
Shortcut
My favorite scene [In reply to] Can't Post

My favorite scene is when we first see Legolas shooting rapid fire on Amon Hen...I knew from then on that the battles with him involved would be cool.

Oscarilbo
Lorien

Mar 25 2010, 7:12pm

Post #103 of 360 (33165 views)
Shortcut
My Favorite Scene [In reply to] Can't Post

Well... As many of you`ve said, there are so many...
but I`ll pick one, and its from the Fellowship of the Ring...

What makes The Lord of the Rings for me so different from other Fantasy movies is those little moments like this:

"Te Council of Elrond - Everybody is going mad discussing about who will take or not the ring, and suddenly- Frodo Baggins: I WILL TAKE IT - He shout again - I WILL TAKE IT - And right then, Gandalf, while giving frodo his back he closes his eyes with a sad relief, but with much sorrow and worry, then he turns to Frodo to be his first companion"

So Powerful and intimate an the same time, a very little moment that let us feel all those heavy worries mixed with an inevitable acceptance Gandalf is experimenting towards Frodo.

Scenes like that are seeing through the entire trilogy, but this is probably the first one that carries that deepness, and is what makes this one over all fantasy movies so unique. Real and true emotions.

saludos Tornlings!

"The World is Changed, I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air"

(This post was edited by Oscarilbo on Mar 25 2010, 7:16pm)

Thierry
The Shire

Mar 25 2010, 7:18pm

Post #104 of 360 (33712 views)
Shortcut

Bilbo at his birthday party talking about the guests and suddenly disapearring. It's priceless to watch the face on the guests.
Thierry

SheElf

Mar 25 2010, 7:25pm

Post #105 of 360 (33397 views)
Shortcut
The battle for middle-earth is about to begin [In reply to] Can't Post

The battle for middle-earth is about to begin- is one of my favorite scenes from the Two Towers. To me, it shows the innocents of Hobbits, thinking of being a part of stories even as they are in the midst of such a grievous task; and the importance of Frodo and Sam’s friendship, to pause in this moment for the showing of appreciation of one another and encouragement.

B0baFett

Mar 25 2010, 7:49pm

Post #106 of 360 (34025 views)
Shortcut
Favorite Scene would have to be... [In reply to] Can't Post

... where eowyn cuts the witch king's fell beast's head off. I literally jumped up out of my seat and yelled "YES" and the entire theater I was in erupted in clapping.

Oasdia

Mar 25 2010, 7:53pm

Post #107 of 360 (34732 views)
Shortcut
Favorite Scene [In reply to] Can't Post

My favorite scene is in the Third Trigolgy of LOTR. After the ring has been destroyed, Sam turns to Frodo and says, It is done Mr. Frodo". "It is done".Smile

pwocarroll

Mar 25 2010, 8:01pm

Post #108 of 360 (34780 views)
Shortcut
Favorite scene - "Don't you leave him, Sam" Gandalf said... and I don't mean to... [In reply to] Can't Post

I love this scene in the river, when Sam refuses to let Frodo go on alone. It is not his dedication to the Quest of course, but to simple decency and honor -- Sam had given his word to Gandalf, and his complete loyalty to Frodo. Never a more pure expression anywhere, IMHO, of such selfless, unambiguous honor and devotion.

elfdoctors

Mar 25 2010, 8:10pm

Post #109 of 360 (34615 views)
Shortcut

My favorite is when Sam and Frodo are watching the elves departing from middle earth in the extended edition of Fellowship of the Ring. I can understand why it wasn't in the feature film, but I'm glad they got it into the movie.

Quazar

Mar 25 2010, 8:21pm

Post #110 of 360 (34690 views)
Shortcut
Favorite ROTK Scene [In reply to] Can't Post

One of my favorite scenes is the path of Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli trecking through the underground passage until their meeting with the Undead King. When walking through the caves, along skulls and through wisp like spirits, Gimli hecticly struggles to conform to his dwarven homeliness within the mountain while Legolas maintains his steady nerve through the traverse.

DrEAD

Mar 25 2010, 8:24pm

Post #111 of 360 (34844 views)
Shortcut
My Favorite Scene from the Lord of the Rings [In reply to] Can't Post

I would have to say that one of the best scenes in the Lord of the Rings Trilogy was Aragorn's epic battle against Lurtz at the end of the Fellowship. The one on one battle was extremely well put together and is not only my favorite scene from lotr but one of the best battle scenes of any movie. Man vs. Uruk-hai, you can't get much better than thatWink.

EEstudent

Mar 25 2010, 8:45pm

Post #112 of 360 (34485 views)
Shortcut

My favorite scene would have to be the first scene of The Fellowship of the Ring. Whenever I hear the narration of that scene I recall the first time I saw the movie, plus it has an army of elves and an awesome battle sequence.

JacksonSharpe

Mar 25 2010, 9:14pm

Post #113 of 360 (34372 views)
Shortcut
Favorite moment [In reply to] Can't Post

Faramir and his men are fleeing from Osgiliath and the nazgul on fellbeast are picking them off from the sky. When Gandalf rides out with Pippin from the Gates of Minas Tirith many people are watching what will happen next from the top of the wall. The men fleeing are hopeless until a bright burst of light flashes from Gandalfs staff as he rides hard on his white horse Shadowfax, causing the nazgul and their fellbeast to flee.

I thought that moment showed a clear picture of what Gandalf represents. He represented hope when there was no hope.

panamaniac

Mar 25 2010, 10:13pm

Post #114 of 360 (34208 views)
Shortcut

It's so hard to pick just one but if I have to...one of my favorite's is "A Far Green Country" from ROTK. It's such a striking scene and it introduces one of my favorite songs, "Into the West".

"End? No the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path, one that we all must take. The gray rain-curtain of this world rolls back and all turns to silver glass. And then you see it ... white shores and the beyond. A far green country under a swift sunrise."

Meganelf

Mar 25 2010, 10:51pm

Post #115 of 360 (34155 views)
Shortcut

My favorite scene: The End of All Things

This is a hard choice because there are so many fantastic and memorable moments in these films. I think my favorite would be in Return of the King, during the "End of All Things." As Mordor begins to collapse Aragorn's army cheers, but then the remaining members of the fellowship realize that Frodo and Sam were still in there--and are so moved by their sacrifice that everyone begins to cry, thinking they'll never see their friends again. (But of course, we all know that they survived!)

The emotions of this scene would never have happened without the music--the darker theme of Mordor overpowers, until Sauron is destroyed and the more valiant Fellowship theme prevails. But then, as realization strikes them, all the majesty dies off to a sort of sad, frail melody, followed by beautiful elven song by Renee Fleming, echoes sadness, desperation, but still has a tinge of hopefulness.....

absolutely gorgeous. Howard Shore couldn't have done a better job with the soundtrack.

-Megan

Frodo's Pearl
The Shire

Mar 25 2010, 10:53pm

Post #116 of 360 (34560 views)
Shortcut
My Favorite Scene [In reply to] Can't Post

I think my absolute favorite scene is when we see Frodo being carried by one of the Eagles after the Ring has been destroyed. No other scene is more beautiful nor poignant; though he must be in agony, his face is the picture of bliss, of relief in being finally freed from the Ring's imprisonment. And the song that plays through: perfectly captures the feelings of the scene. *Wipes tears*

Yes, you have seen a thing or two since you last peeped out of a looking-glass. ~Frodo, FotR --- ..May you come to realize that insignificant as you may seem in this great universe, you are an important part of God's plan. May He watch over you and keep you safe from harm. ~Roma Downey

dormouse
Half-elven

Mar 25 2010, 11:00pm

Post #117 of 360 (34718 views)
Shortcut
No easy answer.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I've just read through five pages of posts and agreed with almost all of them. but one of my favourites which I don't think anyone has mentioned is the scene in the Green Dragon right near the end of the extended RotK, when Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pippin are seated at the table surrounded by jolly, uncaring hobbits who haven't a clue what they've been through. Without a word being spoken you see exactly what they're thinking and are taken back just for a moment through the horrors each of them has endured. It's so true emotionally, not only for the story but also in the context of the First World War from which so much of the story sprang. Sheer genius, I'd say....

mrdbios

Mar 25 2010, 11:02pm

Post #118 of 360 (35533 views)
Shortcut
My favorite part! [In reply to] Can't Post

My favorite part would definitely be when Eowyn confronts the Witchking! I always loved this part of the book, and was very excited to see it on film. IMO, they did a great job with it! It was awesome!

(This post was edited by mrdbios on Mar 25 2010, 11:03pm)

Tangerine

Mar 25 2010, 11:14pm

Post #119 of 360 (35293 views)
Shortcut
So hard to decide! [In reply to] Can't Post

There are many scenes that just. . .cause my heart to swell in my chest, and start the tears flowing. I don't know about naming a favorite! If I must, however. . . .

The scene on the side of Mount Doom, where Sam asks Frodo if he remembers the Shire. It's just so. . .Sam. So much of what he loves, and believes in. It also shows how far gone Frodo is, how haunted. Then, of course, there's that look of resolution on Sam's face: "Let us be rid of it--once and for all! Come on, Mr. Frodo. I can't carry it for you. . .but I can carry you!"

The music surges, and I'm in tears.

*happy sigh*

bluefairywings

Mar 25 2010, 11:25pm

Post #120 of 360 (35840 views)
Shortcut
favorite scene [In reply to] Can't Post

When Frodo is holding the ring out on his hand at the end of the fellowship. Gandalf says, "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." Such a good quote! I cry every time. Plus the music is gorgeous and ties up the movie beautifully.

ElendilPickle

Mar 25 2010, 11:31pm

Post #121 of 360 (35153 views)
Shortcut
Favorite Film Scene [In reply to] Can't Post

There are so many wonderful scenes in Lord of the Rings! It's hard to ignore the big set pieces, but my favorite is a smaller, more intimate scene from Return of the King:

Arwen asks Elrond to reforge Narsil. She walks away and sits down with a book, which drops from her hands to the floor. Elrond picks it up and takes her hand, and discovers it is cold - a sign she has chosen to give up her immortality in the hopes Sauron will be defeated and she will be able to marry Aragorn.

Everything about this scene is so beautifully done - the color, the lighting, the lovely performances by Hugo Weaving and Liv Tyler, all surrounded by Howard Shore's poignant music.

I realize it's not in the book, but IMO this is one addition Peter Jackson got absolutely right.

Arwen Skywalker
Lorien

Mar 26 2010, 12:10am

Post #122 of 360 (34239 views)
Shortcut
too many great scenes! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's impossible to pick a favorite. But I also love the scene about the reforging of Narsil. I'm completely blown away every time by Liv Tyler's performance. There's an ethereal, almost alien-like quality to her voice when she says "the crownless shall again be king." She sounds a little bit like Deanna Troi in that monologue. It's the part that shows best how Arwen is an old lady in a twentysomething body.

Another wonderful scene that I don't think anyone mentioned yet was the flashback from TTT with Boromir and Faramir in Osgiliath. It warms my heart to see them laughing and celebrating together. There were also some little things from there that really added a lot to Boromir's character. I wouldn't know from FOTR that he liked to drink and party. But the one thing that stood out to me was how Faramir reacted to Denethor's putdowns. I'm not sure if either Wenham or Jackson were going for that but I loved how Vulcan-like Faramir sounds at "that is not my intent." You can see the hurt in his eyes but he shows a lot of emotional strength.

As an aside, I wonder what's in the grand prize treasure chest.

(This post was edited by Arwen Skywalker on Mar 26 2010, 12:12am)

angaloth215

Mar 26 2010, 12:22am

Post #123 of 360 (35746 views)
Shortcut
favorite movie scene [In reply to] Can't Post

My favorite scene would have to be the Ride of the Rohirrim in RotK, beginning from when Gandalf hears the horn to when the mūmakil first arrive. This scene was wonderfully done--everything about it was epic, from the music to Theoden's motivational speech, which was very moving...(despite the fact that PJ stole half of Eomer's lines and gave them to Theoden). But while the speech itself deviated from the book, it was still just as powerful. In my opinion, this scene is probably one of the most heroic/epic moments in the trilogy.

cschults

Mar 26 2010, 1:13am

Post #124 of 360 (34837 views)
Shortcut
You cannot not pass! [In reply to] Can't Post

As it was one of my favorite moments in the books, the scene when Gandalf is on the Bridge of Khazad-dum and exclaims "You cannot pass!" while defending the fellowship from the Balrog. Gives me chills.

cpreas

Mar 26 2010, 2:20am

Post #125 of 360 (35119 views)
Shortcut
*kicks helmet* OUCH. [In reply to] Can't Post

Aragorn kicks the helmet in anguish over Merry and Pippin's supposed death, and he screams in frustration.

It was a long time before I realized that Viggo Mortensen broke his toe in that moment, and the scream was genuine pain, fueled into performance. I've never been so moved by an actor's portrayal of any character, ever.

It may seem like a strange "fave" but I think it illustrates the dedication of the actor to his craft, and it reveals the pent-up frustration that Aragorn feels throughout the trilogy. Viggo portrayed Aragorn as a mortal who feels pain, frustration, loss, and guilt. And it is Aragorn's mortality that makes us root for him every time.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.