Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
80,000 petition signatures from one site alone demanding that Peter Jackson direct the Hobbit.

fmaximus
Rivendell

May 17 2007, 11:53pm

Post #1 of 20 (9309 views)
Shortcut
80,000 petition signatures from one site alone demanding that Peter Jackson direct the Hobbit. Can't Post

http://www.thehobbitfilm.com/

Keeping in mind that this doesn't include all the other petitions going around right now,
the total signatures would easily add up to over 100,000.
Although many argue that petitions don't make a difference, New Line will be hard-pressed
to ignore these figures ... me thinks.

diedye
Grey Havens

May 18 2007, 4:05am

Post #2 of 20 (7543 views)
Shortcut
As long as Bob Shaye is in charge.... (in the immortal words of Tony Soprano)... [In reply to] Can't Post

... FUGGEDABOUDIT! Tongue

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 18 2007, 9:49am

Post #3 of 20 (7507 views)
Shortcut
That petition [In reply to] Can't Post

was one I signed when it came out in 2004. It's great to see it's still growing and healthy... but kinda sad it's been so long in trying to make a point ;)

Sunday, April 4, 2004 12:03 PM Subject : Signature Confirmation - The Hobbit - #2433

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Patty
Immortal

May 18 2007, 11:35am

Post #4 of 20 (7488 views)
Shortcut
Did anybody in charge of it ever print it off and send it to New Line, I wonder? [In reply to] Can't Post

I signed it, too, because it cost me nothing to do. But I have little faith in its ability actually to change anything. Still, where there's life there's hope.

Riding with the Rohirrim!

Lith
The Shire

May 19 2007, 2:34am

Post #5 of 20 (7545 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit Petition was sent to New Line and MGM... [In reply to] Can't Post

Speaking as the author and administrator of The Hobbit Petition, I can say that oh yes, indeed, New Line has been aware of the petition since the beginning. In fact, I recall, early on, that Bob Shaye was not too pleased about the accompanying letter-writing campaign, and the fact that New Line addresses and names were listed on the petition. A statement was promptly issued to the effect that fans really didn't need to write to New Line about making The Hobbit, because the studio had every intention of doing so as soon as the rights could be hashed out.

When the petition garnered its first 10000 signatures, I shipped out hard copies to New Line, MGM and Peter. My only response came from a friend with Weta who said Peter was pleased and touched by the fans' response.

Just prior to Bilbo's and Frodo's birthday in 2006, I arranged for simultaneous deliveries of hard copies of the petition - at that time at about 36000 signatures - to MGM on the West coast and New Line in New York on September 22nd. I personally carried the nearly 20-pound, 9-inch stack of signatures (thankfully, with the help of a couple of good friends) to New Line's offices in NYC, after having confirmed by phone a few days earlier that I would be allowed to leave the package at the desk in the lobby. When I arrived, however, I and my party were told that we could not leave the package there under any circumstances. I was allowed to call up to New Line's offices and explained that I had this delivery arranged, and had flown into the city from another state in order to deliver the petition. Nothing I said made any difference. In the end, the person I spoke with was kind enough to direct me to the nearest post office so that I could mail the petition to New Line. As my friends and I trudged toward the post office, we passed a FedEx store and I shipped it next day delivery, addressed to Bob Shaye.

I never heard a word from New Line, though there was ample contact information inside the package.

MGM, however, was much more gracious. They allowed the package to be dropped off, and one of their PR reps even emailed me about the petition just a few days later.

Not long after that, the firestorm about PJ not directing The Hobbit hit, and I made sure to contact both studios by email with news of the fans' reaction, and the link to the petition, so they could track developments and fans' comments. Once again, only MGM bothered to respond.

I've not shared these details publicly before, as I had hopes New Line would come around to seeing reason. Now, however, I feel it is only right that fans know the facts.

http://www.petitiononline.com/hobfilm/

Lith
The Shire

May 19 2007, 2:36am

Post #6 of 20 (7480 views)
Shortcut
Not *quite* 80000 yet... [In reply to] Can't Post

The petition just crested 60000 a few days ago. And while I know NL knows about it, I don't think it will change their minds. The game they are playing is not that straightforward, I'm afraid.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 19 2007, 3:10am

Post #7 of 20 (7454 views)
Shortcut
I'm impressed! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not one for online petitions as I don't think they make much of a difference, but I'm very impressed by your passion and the effort you've put in. If The Hobbit doesn't get made, it won't be for want of you trying!

Good on you Lith.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Patty
Immortal

May 19 2007, 2:52pm

Post #8 of 20 (7481 views)
Shortcut
Agree 100%, Ataahua... [In reply to] Can't Post

and I truly thank Lith for all she has done. I have little hopes, as I said, that it will help, but no one can say it will not be because she has not done everything possible to make all those who need to be aware completly aware of the extent of the fans' desires.

To me, it's a question of ethics. I believe it would be unethical for any other director to take this on, when it is known that PJ spent 7 years of his life bringing ME to the screen, that he had every intention of completing "The Hobbit" and that, because of monetary considerations in which he could get no legal consideration from New Line, he has to decline to finish his work. If I were any other director, I wouldn't even consider it--especially since New Line has shown themselves to be nefarious at least and possibly completely untrustworthy when it comes to the important, financial aspect. I can't believe that all Hollywood is unethical, I refuse to believe it. I'm sure that's why Sam Raimi is making so vocal about only doing this with Jackson's blessing.

I truly applaud New Line for its vision in allowing LotR to go forward, and as 3 movies. Now it's time for them to show that they are above board and ethical, too. It's NOT all about money.

Riding with the Rohirrim!

fmaximus
Rivendell

May 19 2007, 3:25pm

Post #9 of 20 (7464 views)
Shortcut
60,000 plus 20,000... [In reply to] Can't Post

There's two petitions on the same site. The original petition on the site has about 60,000. The other petition, which is more of a boycott petition, has about 20,000 sigs. Tot: 80,000.

Lith, thank you for all your efforts... it really means allot to us fans.

New Line, on the other hand continues to show no class toward PJ and the fans.

Lith
The Shire

May 19 2007, 10:40pm

Post #10 of 20 (7470 views)
Shortcut
It was the least I could do... [In reply to] Can't Post

After PJ asked fans to work on the studios to allow The Hobbit to be made, there was no other recourse but to find some means of letting the fans' voice be heard. So, while I really can't take much credit, I appreciate your appreciation. Wink

And yes, there are two petitions... I misunderstood and thought only this petition was being spoken of.

orcbane
Gondor

May 19 2007, 11:11pm

Post #11 of 20 (7448 views)
Shortcut
Well Done! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Lith, for all that work & giving us a place to make our opinions public at that critical time. I signed this one when the firestorm broke, and also another early one, that was out before the RoTK debuted. I think the petitions did have a bigger effect then people may realize. It added substance and concrete evidence to the presence of a large very interested fan base. I have no doubt that all the parties were very aware of it & it must have materially strenghtened PJ.s position as in fact the one the vast majority want to do the movie. It may not have changed Shaye's mind, but I think it very likely it helped bring MGM & P.Santz to prefer supporting PJ rather then NL in this. Well Done!

fmaximus
Rivendell

May 20 2007, 2:55pm

Post #12 of 20 (7469 views)
Shortcut
Hope MGM has some say in this matter. [In reply to] Can't Post

So far it seems that it's all New Line's choice and that MGM has no voice in the matter. If I remember correctly NL has production rights and MGM has distribution rights. Not to mention that MGM is also investing millions in this project as well. And if MGM still insists on PJ to direct the Hobbit (which they did last time I checked), maybe New Line will have no choice but to give in. I mean, what's the use producing + making a movie that you cannot distribute to the world right?

weaver
Half-elven

May 20 2007, 4:25pm

Post #13 of 20 (7443 views)
Shortcut
you have certainly done your share! [In reply to] Can't Post

I applaud you for your efforts. It takes guts to go to New Line like you did, and shame on them for not even letting you deliver the petition as they had agreed to.

If a Jackson and crew Hobbit film comes to pass, you and everyone else who's taken stand and provided some leadership like this deserve front row seats, free copies of it, and a cameo! Where can I sign a petition for that?

Weaver

Lith
The Shire

May 20 2007, 6:33pm

Post #14 of 20 (7468 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, fmaximus and weaver... [In reply to] Can't Post

Last I heard anything from MGM, they seemed to be trying to put the brakes on the "no PJ" railroad; hopefully, they will succeed. I would also hope that, if they do, Saul Zentz will reward them with a share in The Hobbit when he makes it with Peter at the helm.

As to a petition for perks for me, Weaver, lol! Sweet thought! It will be reward enough just to get a PJ-directed Hobbit, but the other is a nice dream. Blush

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 20 2007, 7:04pm

Post #15 of 20 (7386 views)
Shortcut
Yes, [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
and shame on them for not even letting you deliver the petition as they had agreed to.

...as if just touching the petition would have corrupted them. It costs nothing to be gracious to potential customers.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

May 21 2007, 3:38am

Post #16 of 20 (7375 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's dedication. As a mere humble signer of the petition, I thank you, Lith.

Where's Frodo?

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 23 2007, 11:05am

Post #17 of 20 (7369 views)
Shortcut
*flying tackle-hug* Greatest praise to you! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I'm so grateful that you've come forward and shared this with us. I am astounded by the NL offices' reaction to you. How freakin' unprofessional and callous can they be? Incredible. But MGM has just jumped 10-fold in my geek-o-meter of appreciation. Good for them.

And Good For You to go to so much trouble, expense and angst for The Hobbit and for all of us who appreciated an opportunity to be heard. I honestly felt your petition was my best chance to voice my appreciation for Peter Jackson and the NEED for him to film The Hobbit (and it's sequel).

I just can't express how much what you've done means to me.

Massive Thanks!

sample sample

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on May 23 2007, 11:08am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 23 2007, 11:14am

Post #18 of 20 (7361 views)
Shortcut
Maybe not corruption... [In reply to] Can't Post

as much as enlightenment... and we can't have THAT now, can we? *shakes head*

sample sample

Lith
The Shire

May 24 2007, 12:28am

Post #19 of 20 (7365 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Finding Frodo and grammaboodawg [In reply to] Can't Post

Always glad to be of service. Cool

Severian

Jun 14 2007, 6:38pm

Post #20 of 20 (8518 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I personally carried the nearly 20-pound, 9-inch stack of signatures (thankfully, with the help of a couple of good friends) to New Line's offices in NYC, after having confirmed by phone a few days earlier that I would be allowed to leave the package at the desk in the lobby. When I arrived, however, I and my party were told that we could not leave the package there under any circumstances. I was allowed to call up to New Line's offices and explained that I had this delivery arranged, and had flown into the city from another state in order to deliver the petition. Nothing I said made any difference. http://www.petitiononline.com/hobfilm/

Lith,

Like others, I just wanted to add my thanks to you and everyone involved in the Hobbit petitions. I am verry sorry that you received such insulting and rude treatment from New Line when you tried to deliver the petition. This was just one more example of New Line's arrogance and contempt for their customers, which I believe filters down from the top (Bob Shaye).

Is there any thought of shipping an updated petition (80,000 signatures) to Bob Shaye and New Line? I (and probably others) would be glad to pitch in to help pay for the costs. I agree that it probably won't change their minds, but I sure love the idea of ruining Bob Shaye's day by delivering a 40-pound, 20-inch-tall stack of signatures to his office. Cool

Thanks again.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.