The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
The Lord of the Rings Motion Picture Trilogy Blu Ray Giveaway
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

annarepp

Mar 25 2010, 11:56am

Post #51 of 360 (35312 views)
Shortcut
Can you sing, master hobbit? [In reply to] Can't Post

Ah, I agree with everyone who replied here - it is so hard to chose the favourite scene! I have about 11 hours of favourite scenes in the trilogy, and the fellowship in the "Ring goes south", and the passing of Boromir, and Theoden's speech at Pelennor Fields, and Gandalf and Pippin talking about death, and the hobbits back at the Green Dragon at the end of ROTK all count among them...

But the best has to be Pippin singing to Denethor while Faramir and his men ride to certain death. Even after seeing the trilogy for 20-something times, I still choke back tears every time I hear that song.

CarlosMorillo

Mar 25 2010, 12:05pm

Post #52 of 360 (34104 views)
Shortcut
You Shall Not Pass [In reply to] Can't Post

In the deepest darkness and coldest gloom, far beneath the Misty Mountains lingered an evil that should long have passed from the memory of even the Elves. Yet it lived on, through countless ages, consumed in the shadows by rage and its own fires until it was unleashed upon the Fellowship at the bridge of Khazad-dum The Balrog, a demon of the ancient world. Against this foe no skill with blade or bow would prevail. The only bravery that could save Frodo and the Ring was the sacrifice of the Fellowship's most valued sage and mentor, and unto this fate, Gandalf was resigned when he made his last stand.

hamfastgamgee

Mar 25 2010, 12:11pm

Post #53 of 360 (34121 views)
Shortcut
Well, that's a funny story... [In reply to] Can't Post

My favorite scene in the books, bar none, is Rohan's arrival at Minas Tirith at the tail end of a chapter of sheer destruction and despair. I get shivers every time I read, "Rohan had come at last."

In the movies, it's a very tough call. For a long time, I probably would have said the Lighting of the Beacons in Return of the King, even though it's something that wasn't contemporary to the story in the books. The scene is simply filmic; old Hollywood in a way. It stirs the heart (thanks,, Howard Shore, for the first complete version of the Gondor theme) and gives the only real single-scene indication in the trilogy of the sheer mass of geography that's affected by every action in the story. (A close second is the more-or-less-straight-from-the-book scene between Gandalf and Frodo in Moria where Gandalf explains why letting Gollum live was a decent thing on Bilbo's part. I liked it so much that I bought my college roommate/best man/best friend from Daniel Reeve a copy of Gandalf's quote "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.")

However, I'm going to have to double-back on this occasion, in light of being in the real place on a Red Carpet Tour last June, and go with the original scene of Frodo in the Shire when Gandalf arrives. That was the point, the very first time I saw Fellowship, where I thought to myself, "Yeah, it's going to differ from the books, and things are going to irk you this first time through, but Mr. Jackson and company have their hearts in the right place and they've done it the right way." Nowadays I will absolutely take "Concerning Hobbits" (I almost can't stand to watch the theatricals anymore since the Extendeds are so much more book-like, but I throw it on as background noise when it's on TNT :) ), but there'll always be a soft spot in my heart for that first Hobbiton scene from the theatrical FOTR.

However, I agree with every single previous post. There's a reason my wife and I watch the extended editions every Christmas Day. :)

aubreykg

Mar 25 2010, 12:12pm

Post #54 of 360 (34828 views)
Shortcut
Frodo and Sam at Mt Doom [In reply to] Can't Post

I like this scene best because it's just after the climax of the movie series, and it sums up the love that Frodo and Sam have for each other, and is so touching. They both have accepted that their going to die. It is a beautiful scene.

dangiven

Mar 25 2010, 12:29pm

Post #55 of 360 (34988 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf's description of the afterlife [In reply to] Can't Post

I find the respite in the middle of the battle for Minis Tirith to be breathtakingly beautiful (even though it actually was Frodo's dream at Tom Bombadil's house).

Ghan-Buri-Ghan
The Shire

Mar 25 2010, 12:37pm

Post #56 of 360 (35174 views)
Shortcut
Foundations of Stone [In reply to] Can't Post

My favorite scene is the opening of The Two Towers when the camera is flying past the mountains, accompanied by some great music by Howard Shore, which then turns into a repeat of the horrific scene of the Balrog, and then down into the abyss. It was a great way to begin like that, to first begin quietly, and suddenly become fearsome, and then to suddenly switch back to what is currently happening again.

If I can't spare a share for a poor ol' troll, what will I do?

GAndyalf
Valinor

Mar 25 2010, 12:51pm

Post #57 of 360 (34480 views)
Shortcut
Well said, Tex... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm guessing you're a fellow vet.

"Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

cookegawd

Mar 25 2010, 12:54pm

Post #58 of 360 (34856 views)
Shortcut
Pippin's Song [In reply to] Can't Post

Home is behind, the world ahead.
And there are many paths to tread.
Through shadow... to the edge of night.
'Till the stars are all alight.
Mist and shadow, cloud and shade.
All shall fade... all shall fade.

Beautifully set and powerful accompanying visuals.

jschomburg
Rivendell

Mar 25 2010, 1:15pm

Post #59 of 360 (34742 views)
Shortcut
Just a bit of seasoning - Roast Chicken [In reply to] Can't Post

There are so many scenes that I really enjoyed, but this one had lots of humor and realization of the "mission". Also was fun when Sam was "bragging" about his knot for the "elvish rope". Another favorite was the seen in the Prancing Pony regarding the ale - "it comes in pints?" And, someone mentioned earlier the "Concerning Hobbits" scene, that is wonderful as well. I could go on forever - better stop now.

usmintexas

Mar 25 2010, 1:16pm

Post #60 of 360 (36480 views)
Shortcut
GAndyalf... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for the kind compliment. Yes, I have had a passion for these works for some time now. This just gave me an excuse to talk about something that I really enjoy. Smile

Cheers,

Tex-

Jebediah

Mar 25 2010, 1:35pm

Post #61 of 360 (35373 views)
Shortcut
My Favorite Scene [In reply to] Can't Post

It's so hard to pick just one scene. When I saw this contest I started thinking and going from scene to scene.
If I have to settle on just one I would have to pick Boromir's fight and death at the end of FOTR. The way he fights back after every arrow, and then when he tells Aragorn he would follow him is so beautiful. The scene completes his redemption and his acceptance of his flaws with respect to his falling to the ring's seductions.

splitrockvideo

Mar 25 2010, 1:35pm

Post #62 of 360 (35677 views)
Shortcut
Opening Scene - Fellowship [In reply to] Can't Post

The opening scene of The Fellowship has to be my favorite. It is so because it was the very first glimpse into what Peter Jackson and his many talented artists and creators brought to life on film and inspired me to become a filmmaker.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Mar 25 2010, 1:36pm

Post #63 of 360 (35288 views)
Shortcut
The First view of Bag-end. [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the first view of Bag-end. It is so close to what I first imagined it would look like that it was like someone had read my mind. I knew exactly where it was and where I would be going.

Kangi Ska

The Hobbit Deserves More Respect!

At night one cannot tell if crows are black or white.

Photobucket

Deagols_Bane

Mar 25 2010, 1:37pm

Post #64 of 360 (35251 views)
Shortcut
My favorite scene [In reply to] Can't Post

Would have to be the Charge of the Rohirrim at the Pelennor Fields. Every time I see that mass of cavalry come over the hill at sunrise and hear Theoden's rousing speech, it sends shivers down my spine and my eyes tear up. There's just something about the courage of those people willing to die in the face of certain defeat, while fighting for the freedom of the people, that gets to me every time.

tolledesign

Mar 25 2010, 1:38pm

Post #65 of 360 (34773 views)
Shortcut

My favorite scene in the trilogy is the conversation with Gandalf and Frodo when they first learn that the ring has been discovered. "Keep it secret, keep it safe" is one of my favorite lines of all time. Best trilogy I've ever seen!

Brian

SDSouthard

Mar 25 2010, 1:40pm

Post #66 of 360 (34140 views)
Shortcut
Favorite Scene [In reply to] Can't Post

Boromir training Merry and Pippin to fight in Fellowship. It really added a lot to his character. In the books, he is very two-dimensional and it is hard almost to care when he passes (At least until you see the grief of his brother and father), but in the film this made him very likeable. It was the first moment in the films that made me think they are going to do more than just the action scenes; they are growing the characters as well.

Optimus Primate

Mar 25 2010, 1:42pm

Post #67 of 360 (34071 views)
Shortcut
"My Friends..." [In reply to] Can't Post

"...You bow to no one."

Yeah, I know it's cliché. But that scene makes me bawww like a little girl with a skinned knee every time I watch it. And I watch it a lot.

chrism628
Bree

Mar 25 2010, 2:00pm

Post #68 of 360 (34611 views)
Shortcut

My favorite scene would be the short seen in The Return Of The King where Orcs and Trolls are all marching together towards Minas Tirith. It is my favorite because the size of the army is stupendous, plus the Trolls pushing the siege engines and banging on their massive drums gives me the chills all over!

Chris

SkapeRtist

Mar 25 2010, 2:09pm

Post #69 of 360 (35073 views)
Shortcut
my favorite scene [In reply to] Can't Post

The whole of moria. I just love the caves and the dark and how they have to sneak by undetected, which of course Pippin makes sure they don't. Can't wait until the hobbit to see how it's down when Biblo goes into the mountain and squares off with gollum!

Raldo_Widefurrow

Mar 25 2010, 2:26pm

Post #70 of 360 (35192 views)
Shortcut
Favorite scene [In reply to] Can't Post

My favorite scene is the opening sequence in the Two Towers, as Gandalf and the Balrog fall into the vast underground cavern, and the music swells. It truly feels like some scene out of an ancient Norse myth.

joel_fcf

Mar 25 2010, 2:29pm

Post #71 of 360 (34471 views)
Shortcut
Village of Bree [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the entire trilogy equally, however Fellowship was my first love. It was the first time I was taken away to the enormous, fantastic world called Middle Earth. There were so many moments (literally dozens and dozens) that took my breath away throughout the film, that singling in on one scene was difficult. I think for me the most memorable scene was the village of Bree. It was so dark and gloomy, and I felt it was first real moment the hobbits got a sense of how big and dangerous the world outside the Shire could be. Even knowing how the moment would unfold, the tension as the wraiths attacked the hobbit's room at the Prancing Pony was palpable. It also served to introduce us to Strider, and demonstrated both the allure and danger that the ring presented Frodo with. And for fanboys, how could you forget the shaggy, wet, carrot chewing Peter Jackson cameo? (Which is my personal favorite in the trilogy.)

chawell

Mar 25 2010, 2:34pm

Post #72 of 360 (34235 views)
Shortcut

Attack on Helm's Deep, and all the preperation and speech that leads up to it.

texfrazer

Mar 25 2010, 2:50pm

Post #73 of 360 (34823 views)
Shortcut

My favorite scene is in the opening sequences of the Extended Edition - "Concerning Hobbits".

With Howard Shore's amazing music, the scenery of "The Shire", and the overview of Hobbit life, it totally engrosses me into the film and makes me long to live such a lifestyle.

If only I could find a job that would move me to New Zealand and make it a reality!

lotrjunkie
The Shire

Mar 25 2010, 3:03pm

Post #74 of 360 (35352 views)
Shortcut
My favorite scene [In reply to] Can't Post

My favorite scene is in the Fellowship of the Ring when the fellowship leaves Rivendale and all 9 of the fellowship are walking over the ridge of rocks. The music is just moving to me, showing how determined the fellowship is to their quest.

palmking

Mar 25 2010, 3:11pm

Post #75 of 360 (34933 views)
Shortcut
Favorite scene [In reply to] Can't Post

Favorite scene: When we first saw the Shire in the FOTR. It signifies the innocence and purity of what is good in this world and really transports me to world I would rather be in. All the hard work that the team put in to make the Shire realistic was all worth it. Though the films have many amazing scenes and mesmerizing dialogs, i feel that this very first scene captures the essence and one of the key messages of the films. Truly inspiring.

(This post was edited by palmking on Mar 25 2010, 3:14pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.