Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Fan Art:
Hey, I think I have a few

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 21 2007, 1:32am

Post #1 of 8 (434 views)
Shortcut
Hey, I think I have a few Can't Post

When I went back to school for graphic design, I was a little worried about the fact that I had never drawn anything. I mean, I would sketch out of need or specific request (like making a honeycomb picture for my son's teacher) but I never drew for enjoyment. My first class was a drawing class and I was pretty sure I couldn't do it. It didn't help that I am bright enough that my grades rarely ever dropped below a B+ in academic classes and I'm a perfectionist. I don't like not being perfect or getting it 'right'.

One of our assignments was to make 10 drawings of people.. our family and friends. But my family didn't sit still long enough to draw them. I think I got 8 but time was running out and they weren't around so I pulled out my Burger King LOTR figures to draw. I was making myself not obsess over perfection and I actually did pretty well. I mean... these drawings look like people!

You can tell that I really have problems with hands!

Legolas was very light and hard to scan. So I colored him in some archaic image program I had at the time.
Again, I was just happy it looked human.

I went on, in the class, to do a few drawings I was pretty proud of... and some further ones in an illustration class.
But I still don't really draw for fun, although I think I should more.

no longer just aMagpie... I'm now *the* Magpie

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 21 2007, 1:36am

Post #2 of 8 (311 views)
Shortcut
And then, there's this one [In reply to] Can't Post

This one was done for a Tolkien forum I was on for awhile that encouraged artistic expression.
I decided I needed to push myself to draw more so I entered this in the category 'Celebration'.
It's a combination of chalk and some conte crayons on colored stock.

diedye
Grey Havens

Feb 21 2007, 4:32am

Post #3 of 8 (278 views)
Shortcut
I like this one... [In reply to] Can't Post

Great colors!

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Feb 21 2007, 5:40am

Post #4 of 8 (277 views)
Shortcut
They're good for first time drawings! [In reply to] Can't Post

Seriously, I still have my first drawings up online... and you did better than me on first drawings *g*

It's a fun hobby to do; you should keep it up :) And those colors on that last piece are very pretty!

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

linkin-artelf
Lorien

Feb 21 2007, 7:17am

Post #5 of 8 (283 views)
Shortcut
Love the dragon! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's such a lively piece, with lots of swirly lines and great color choices. I see lots of potential.
Your Elrond (I'm assuming it's Elrond) is suitably somber and lordly. As for the hands, let's just say he hit his thumb and it's swollen and he's putting on a brave face.
Your Legolas is well proportioned and pleasing in a minimalist way.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
"I walk along the shore and I gaze
At the light that radiates down
Will it travel forth to you
Far across this shimmering sea?"
formerly linkinparkelf

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 21 2007, 3:49pm

Post #6 of 8 (266 views)
Shortcut
Gee... thank s you guys. [In reply to] Can't Post

Your comments mean a lot to me.

I think I was most proud of two things with these LOTR figure sketches:
  1. That I could draw without angsting... I wanted to cry when she put that bust of David up in the middle of the room. Legolas was done in a matter of minutes.
  2. That I could enjoy my results... without over criticizing them.
Like I said, I went on to draw a few more things that I was very proud of. It seems my love is for nature.

Here are some nature still life sketches and three that I turned into cards: birchbark - green beetle - snowfall

Goldie Took
The Shire

Mar 4 2007, 6:12pm

Post #7 of 8 (248 views)
Shortcut
:) [In reply to] Can't Post

these are a first go at people? they are quite good actually! proportions are tough and you seem to have a knack for it

I like the expression you have on the elf lord esp :) but it looks like you had more fun with the fireworks !

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Mar 5 2007, 10:07am

Post #8 of 8 (278 views)
Shortcut
Hi Magpie [In reply to] Can't Post

I wanted to comment when you first posted, I had a lot of demands on my time then (still do), Then I forgot to come back to this thread.

I just want to encourage you to keep posting and sharing your work here with us.

I like Elrond, particularly the texture on his clothing. I can se the influence of graphic design in your work. I would love so see some drawing of yours with some more classes. I truly hope you keep drawing and sharing and around the board.

Aloha `oe!
DoN

Websites Directory, my drawings, Aloha & Mahalo

Nienna: “those who hearken to her learn pity, and endurance in hope . . . All those who wait in Mandos cry to her, for she brings strength to the spirit and turns sorrow to wisdom." — Valaquenta

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.