Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
In Celebration of Tolkien Reading Day: What Are Your Favorite Passages?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 25 2010, 2:19am

Views: 1148
Shortcut
In Celebration of Tolkien Reading Day: What Are Your Favorite Passages? Can't Post

Greetings, one and all! March 25th is a day to celebrate: not only as the anniversary of "when Sauron fell, and when [the Ring-bearer and his faithful servant] were brought out of the fire to the King"; but also as the eighth annual official Tolkien Reading Day!

So let's join in sharing some of our favorite passages from Tolkien's works. Although the theme this year is "Tolkien's Seafarers", you needn't restrict your quotes to only those with seafaring themes!

I'll start with two. The first, from "Leaf by Niggle", to me embodies Tolkien's own creative nature, and defines how he wrote his legendarium:

He was the sort of painter who can paint leaves better than trees. He used to spend a long time on a single leaf, trying to catch its shape, and its sheen, and the glistening of dew-drops on its edges. Yet he wanted to paint a whole tree, with all of its leaves in the same style, and all of them different.

There was one picture in particular which bothered him. It had begun with a leaf caught in the wind, and it became a tree; and the tree grew, sending out innumerable branches, and thrusting out the most fantastic roots. Strange birds came and settled on the twigs and had to be attended to. Then all round the Tree, and behind it, through the gaps in the leaves and boughs, a country began to open out; and there were glimpses of a forest marching over the land, and of mountains tipped with snow. Niggle lost interest in his other pictures; or else he took them and tacked them on to the edges of his great picture. Soon the canvas became so large that he had to get a ladder; and he ran up and down it, putting in a touch here, and rubbing out a patch there.

And this, for me, is Lord of the Rings:

And he sang to them, now in the Elven-tongue, now in the speech of the West, until their hearts, wounded with sweet words, overflowed, and their joy was like swords, and they passed in thought out to regions where pain and delight flow together and tears are the very wine of blessedness.

Thank you, dear Professor! Heart

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Subject User Time
In Celebration of Tolkien Reading Day: What Are Your Favorite Passages? dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Mar 25 2010, 2:19am
    Gandalf did not move. Alassėa Eruvande Send a private message to Alassėa Eruvande Mar 25 2010, 2:29am
        Yes - agreed NottaSackville Send a private message to NottaSackville Mar 25 2010, 3:57am
        There are many favorites... ShyElf Send a private message to ShyElf Mar 25 2010, 1:20pm
            Oops...wrong spot...such a newbie! ShyElf Send a private message to ShyElf Mar 25 2010, 1:24pm
                No problem! dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Mar 25 2010, 8:33pm
    The King's renewed crown fairelvenlady Send a private message to fairelvenlady Mar 25 2010, 2:53am
        *chills* I love that passage too Altaira Send a private message to Altaira Mar 26 2010, 3:09am
    A Star in a Land of Shadow: Kangi Ska Send a private message to Kangi Ska Mar 25 2010, 3:24am
        That is just beauty elentari3018 Send a private message to elentari3018 Apr 10, 4:30am
    The departure from Lorien Nomad Send a private message to Nomad Mar 25 2010, 3:34am
    You took my favorite! Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Mar 25 2010, 3:47am
    Eomer: Battle of the Pelennor NottaSackville Send a private message to NottaSackville Mar 25 2010, 3:55am
        You stole mine! :-) Arwen's daughter Send a private message to Arwen's daughter Mar 25 2010, 5:03pm
        He was "the lord of a fell people", no? // squire Send a private message to squire Mar 26 2010, 3:48am
            That's what you (I) get when you cut & paste from the internet... NottaSackville Send a private message to NottaSackville Mar 26 2010, 12:09pm
    passage(s)... batik Send a private message to batik Mar 25 2010, 4:12am
    Someone already posted my favorite. RosieLass Send a private message to RosieLass Mar 25 2010, 5:09am
    In a hole in the ground... Arandiel Send a private message to Arandiel Mar 25 2010, 5:27am
    So many. Here's just a few... Elwen Send a private message to Elwen Mar 25 2010, 2:14pm
    Most of mine have already been posted Aunt Dora Baggins Send a private message to Aunt Dora Baggins Mar 25 2010, 4:50pm
    There is one other from the Hobbit Kangi Ska Send a private message to Kangi Ska Mar 25 2010, 5:05pm
    Hmmmm.... Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Mar 25 2010, 5:35pm
    a casual observation and an offer of a mathom Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Mar 25 2010, 6:42pm
    From h-mon: 'Gandalf's battle with the Balrog on the bridge of Khazad-Dum' Ataahua Send a private message to Ataahua Mar 25 2010, 6:44pm
    On a sea-faring theme ... Eledhwen Send a private message to Eledhwen Mar 25 2010, 7:07pm
    Well, I have many, but.... LordotRings93 Send a private message to LordotRings93 Mar 25 2010, 7:08pm
    From the Silmarillion... the_argonath Send a private message to the_argonath Mar 25 2010, 7:09pm
    a favorite poem White Gull Send a private message to White Gull Mar 25 2010, 7:27pm
    three favorites of mine... weaver Send a private message to weaver Mar 25 2010, 10:05pm
    My favorites... Eruthurin Send a private message to Eruthurin Mar 25 2010, 10:52pm
    one of mine from the Sil Menelwyn Send a private message to Menelwyn Mar 25 2010, 11:59pm
        and Aragorn's dying words Menelwyn Send a private message to Menelwyn Mar 26 2010, 1:50am
            psst. Menelwyn Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Mar 26 2010, 2:06am
    Flotsam and Jetsam Lothvana Send a private message to Lothvana Mar 26 2010, 2:00am
    What a perfect thread to read in flat mode Altaira Send a private message to Altaira Mar 26 2010, 3:26am
    Two favorites: Laerasėa Send a private message to Laerasėa Mar 26 2010, 6:16am
    So very hard to pick one Rosie-with-the-ribbons Send a private message to Rosie-with-the-ribbons Mar 26 2010, 12:10pm
    ‘I like that! ‘ said Sam. ‘I should like to learn it...' squire Send a private message to squire Mar 27 2010, 12:09am
        And to complement that first passage... dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Mar 27 2010, 2:00am
            Favorite passages pippinmaniac Send a private message to pippinmaniac Mar 27 2010, 6:36am
                possibly my favorite quote of all time one_more_reason Send a private message to one_more_reason Mar 27 2010, 4:17pm
                    that is an awesome one from Haldir!!!! elentari3018 Send a private message to elentari3018 Apr 10, 4:36am
    I have far too many.... Flammifer Send a private message to Flammifer Mar 27 2010, 5:19pm
    Oh my... grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Mar 28 2010, 11:18pm
    I love that one too! Oakenrod Send a private message to Oakenrod Mar 31 2010, 5:35pm
    There are so many, so many Elberbeth Send a private message to Elberbeth Mar 31 2010, 7:30pm
    Alright, here are some more.... Flammifer Send a private message to Flammifer Mar 31 2010, 11:06pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.