The Lord of the Rings Motion Picture Trilogy Blu Ray Giveaway
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

calisuri
PTB

Mar 25 2010, 2:14am

Post #1 of 360 (56958 views)
Shortcut
The Lord of the Rings Motion Picture Trilogy Blu Ray Giveaway Can't Post

TheOneRing.net and Warner Brothers are teaming up to celebrate the release of The Lord Of The Rings Motion Picture Trilogy on Blu Ray, April 6th 2010!

From now until April 13th 2010, we will be giving you the opportunity to win some amazing prizes, including the grand prize of a Noble Collection Middle-earth Treasure Chest, worth nearly $200!

You will be also be competing for a Sterling Silver Arwen Evenstar Pendant, Sterling Silver Elven Leaf Brooch, and over thirty other great LOTR themed prizes!

How to Enter: This giveaway will be hosted on the Official TheOneRing.net Forums! All you have to do to enter is reply to this thread with your favorite scene in The Lord of the Rings and give us a small explanation of why that is your favorite theme. Winners will be randomly chosen from all replies to the thread.

Please note that by replying to the official thread, you are agreeing to the Official Contest Rules below.

The Lord of the Rings Motion Picture Trilogy available on Blu Ray April 6th 2010!

Pre-Order today! Pre-order Today »

Official contest rules:

Prizes: One (1) Grand Prize Winner will win one (1) Noble Collection Middle-earth Treasure Chest. One (1) First Prize winner will win one (1) Sterling Silver Arwen Evenstar Pendant. One (1) Second Prize winner will win one (1) Sterling Silver Elven Leaf Brooch. Other prizes will be awarded based on prize availability. The winner will be randomly drawn from eligible entries on or about April 14th 2010.

Entry Schedule: Only entries made by submitting a reply on this thread below before 11:59 US Eastern Time on April 13th, 2010 will be eligible. The Sponsor's (TheOneRing.net) database clock will be the official timekeeper for this contest. Void where prohibited.

Who Can Enter: Contest is open to legal residents of the United States 18 years of age or older. All completed entries are eligible. No purchase is necessary.

No cash substitute will be made for any prizes. In the case of a returned prize, substitute winner will be drawn from the previous group of eligible entries. Officers, directors, and employees of Warner Brothers, TheOneRing.net and their respective affiliates, subsidiaries, and advertising and promotion agencies (collectively, the "Promotion Entities"), and such employees' immediate families and household members, are not eligible.

In the event of a dispute as to the identity of an online entrant, the online entry in question will be deemed submitted by the authorized account holder of the e-mail account to which TheOneRing.net forum account is assigned. The authorized forum account holder shall be the natural person to whom the applicable e-mail address has been assigned by the Internet access provider, service provider, or other online organization responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted forum account. A potential winner may be requested to provide the Sponsor with proof that the potential winner is the authorized account holder of the e-mail address associated with the winning entry. If a dispute cannot be resolved to Sponsor's satisfaction, the entry will be deemed ineligible.

Drawing will be held on or about April 14th, 2010, and the winner will be posted on TheOneRing.net. Winner will also be notified using the e-mail address and other information provided at entry, as well as posted on Sponsor's Website. Promotion Entities are not responsible for any notification that is not received for any reason. Odds of winning depend upon the number of entries received. We assume no responsibility for lost, mutilated, or misdirected entries, nor for lost, mutilated or misdirected prizes that are sent out to the winning entries.

Entrants release, discharge and hold harmless Warner Brothers, TheOneRing.net and their respective parents, affiliates, subsidiaries, and agents, and the respective officers, directors and employees of each, from any and all claims or damages, including personal injury and/or death or property damage, arising out of winner's participation in the contest or any contest-related activity or from winner's acceptance and use and/or misuse of the prize awarded.

Prize winners are responsible for all federal, state and local taxes. By accepting a prize, all winners agree that Warner Brothers and TheOneRing.net may post his/her name and/or likeness for advertising/trade purposes and in any and all media, including future advertising or publicity, without further consideration or compensation, unless prohibited by law.

By accepting a prize, all winners agree that Warner Brothers, TheOneRing.net, their affiliates, and all of the officers, directors, employees, representatives and agents of Warner Brothers and TheOneRing.net, will have no liability whatsoever for, and will be held harmless by winner for any liability for any injury, loss or damages of any kind, to winner or other persons, including (without limitation) injuries, loss or damages arising out of or relating to death, and, injuries, damages or losses to property, due in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from the acceptance, possession, use or misuse of the prize or participation in this giveaway.

TheOneRing.net reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the giveaway, reject any entry, or make any revisions to the official rules as we deem necessary.

FarFromHome
Valinor

Mar 25 2010, 2:22am

Post #2 of 360 (44420 views)
Shortcut
"Residents of the US"? [In reply to] Can't Post

Isn't that a bit restrictive for an international site like this?

And will you be checking that entrants are "legal residents of the US" before or after you choose a winner?

Can we non-Americans still enter just for the challenge, or should we leave the thread alone unless we live in the Land of the Free?

Tongue

They went in, and Sam shut the door.
But even as he did so, he heard suddenly,
deep and unstilled,
the sigh and murmur of the Sea upon the shores of Middle-earth.
From the unpublished Epilogue to the Lord of the Rings

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Mar 25 2010, 2:41am

Post #3 of 360 (44144 views)
Shortcut
My favorite scene [In reply to] Can't Post

changes from time to time.
Right now it is the lighting of the beacons. I really missed the Red Arrow from the books, but I was pleased with its substitute. It was a nice little nod to the appendices, too. It was visually stunning and the music is one of my favorite parts of the score as well.

And suddenly the Ainur saw afar off a light, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame.

Gadgeteer

Mar 25 2010, 2:54am

Post #4 of 360 (44963 views)
Shortcut

This is very difficult but I think I have to go with the Ride of the Rohirrim in Return of the King. Between Théoden's speech when they arrived at the Pellenor and the music as they charge this scene always gets to me.

BJ

diedye
Grey Havens

Mar 25 2010, 2:56am

Post #5 of 360 (44190 views)
Shortcut
*sigh*... I really am rather tired of feeling... [In reply to] Can't Post

... like the poor relative of this family. Frown

Blessed are the cracked,
For they are the ones who let in the light!

concerning Hobbits
The Shire

Mar 25 2010, 3:04am

Post #6 of 360 (45939 views)
Shortcut
Death Of the Mouth Of Sauron [In reply to] Can't Post

my favorite scene in the LOTR trilogy is a short but awesome scene in Return Of The King when the Mouth Of Sauron attempts to belittle Aragorn but Aragorn skillfully cuts off his head!

I always cheer when I see that scene!

LordotRings93
Rohan

Mar 25 2010, 3:20am

Post #7 of 360 (52563 views)
Shortcut

My favorite scene would have to be Frodo and Sam being dragged into the Orc march in Mordor. Love how they think their way out!

The HUGEST Lord of the Rings fan ever!
Owner of all Lord of the Rings merchandise.
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

bjtp
The Shire

Mar 25 2010, 3:31am

Post #8 of 360 (44788 views)
Shortcut
Reply to: The Lord of the Rings Motion Picture Trilogy Blu Ray Giveaway [In reply to] Can't Post

It's hard to pick just one.. Probably the 'Concerning Hobbits' section at the beginning of Fellowship and particularly the line 'for things are made to endure in The Shire..', it's just so beautiful and so Tolkien.

dnardi

Mar 25 2010, 3:35am

Post #9 of 360 (44167 views)
Shortcut
They kept going because they were holding on to something... [In reply to] Can't Post

My favorite scene is Sam's speech at the end of Two Towers.

It is a perfect illustration of the attitude Tolkien believed a true hero should take in the face of adversity. First, the speech faces the reality of the danger and never tries to minimize it. Second, Sam urges Frodo not to lose hope or give into despair, despite the danger and very real possibility they might survive. Finally, Sam emphasizes the role of choice in these situations. The heros chose to go forward because they held onto a belief in goodness. This is an important distinction: true heros don't face danger out of a sense of fate or in ignorance, but rather because they have faith.

This scene also really showed that Peter Jackson and crew had really internalized the spirit of LOTR. Even though the speech wasn't in the book, it feels so right for the characters and the philosophical bearings of Middle Earth.

Of course, Tolkien famously said Sam was the true hero of LOTR, and Sean Astin is a great actor, so I'm sympathetic to any prominent Sam scenes.

(This post was edited by dnardi on Mar 25 2010, 3:36am)

midiman

Mar 25 2010, 3:41am

Post #10 of 360 (45354 views)
Shortcut
My fav scene [In reply to] Can't Post

would have to be Theoden's speech before the ride of the Rohirim. Makes me want to ride into certain death for the glory....well, almost ;)

amehte1

Mar 25 2010, 3:50am

Post #11 of 360 (45419 views)
Shortcut
My Favorite Scene [In reply to] Can't Post

Like most Tolkien/LOTR fans, I suppose, its hard to state one single favorite scene. But I would have to say that mine is the opening scene, "Concerning Hobbits". It just shows the loving nature of Hobbits and how they treasure peace, quiet, and a nice pint of ale Wink It set a great mood for the reoccurring themes in the movie (i.e. friendship and unity). I also love how everyone in Hobbiton is coming together to celebrate Bilbo's Birthday, and in the background, Bilbo is describing his fellow Hobbits.

GAndyalf
Valinor

Mar 25 2010, 3:54am

Post #12 of 360 (46675 views)
Shortcut
Having read the official rules... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm still not certain my favourite qualifies because it was in the Extended Edition and not the Theatrical Release. That being said, my favourite part was the additional scene where Aragorn visits Gilraen's memorial in Rivendell. Here is the last of the greatest bloodline among men who knows he is finally after a very long life by the standard of mortals is going to face the uttermost test and if he is successful he will be granted many gifts, not the least of which is something only two other mortal men have ever been granted: an Elven bride, and the most beautiful and noble of her Age at that (Galadriel is considered of the First Age - the "Lady of the Morning" and Arwen "The Lady of the Twilight"). He goes like nearly all of us do for comfort - his last before he must be strong in every regard again until his task is done - to his mother. That Elrond meets him and is kindly and even fatherly in explaining to him Gilraen's choice - and in Elvish which to my mind tells an even greater bond of kinship and caring on Elrond's part - helps more than anything else to understand that heroes are like the rest of us excepting only for one thing: heroes are not paralyzed by fear but energized by the need of others who count on them.

"Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Captain_Faramir92
The Shire

Mar 25 2010, 3:57am

Post #13 of 360 (44786 views)
Shortcut

When the fellowship is introduced in that slow motion shot. The music leading up to it was epic, and it gave me chills.

I tend to like characters nobody cares about:
Mr. Fantastic (Fantastic 4)
Iceman (X-Men)
Faramir (LOTR)
Eomer (LOTR)
Hamm (Toy Story)
Bomb Voyage (Incredibles)
Zazu (The Lion King)
Squidward (Yes, I watch Spongebob sometimes)

Legalize_Athelas
Lorien

Mar 25 2010, 3:58am

Post #14 of 360 (44183 views)
Shortcut
My Farorite Scene? Simple. [In reply to] Can't Post

Literally. Having just witnessed the passing of Boromir, Aragorn stands to give his speech. Legolas and Gimli sneak up behind, and we see a single tear slip down Aragorn's face, and then... and then! Howard Shore sends his angelic french horns into the most beautiful suspension I've ever heard! Tears and weeping ensue! Alas for the wailing of the horns!!!

Got Necroquestions? I'll give you Necromanswers.

Elafacwen
The Shire

Mar 25 2010, 4:06am

Post #15 of 360 (42238 views)
Shortcut
My Favorite Scene [In reply to] Can't Post

Well for one I have TOO many favorite scenes...
One I especially love is the Ride of Rohirrim in the Return of the King. It is such a powerful and gripping moment caught up in such an intense part of the plot when all hope for Gondor appears to be lost. Theoden's powerful (and as we know final) speech, Eowyn's words of encouragement to Merry, the sounding of the horns, the call of battle, then finally the charge. Combine all of this with Howard Shore's wonderful music and the pounding of the horse hooves and I have goosebumps each and every time I watch this scene...Watching it for the first time in the theater brought a tear to my eye.

>>---------->

Mehtariel

Mar 25 2010, 4:11am

Post #16 of 360 (42844 views)
Shortcut
just one? [In reply to] Can't Post

It's so difficult to pick only one favorite scene! But the first one to immediately come to mind is the coronation of Aragorn as King. The beauty and grace of the scene reminds me of the much-anticipated return of Christ. And then when Aragorn sees that Arwen is not only alive but standing there in front of him...*happy sigh*...that is just made of awesome! : )
He gets the crown AND his girl! : ) Heart

omm147

Mar 25 2010, 4:11am

Post #17 of 360 (43959 views)
Shortcut
my favorite scene [In reply to] Can't Post

my favorite scene is where Gandalf rides out of Gondor to come to the aid of Faramir and his soldiers from the attack of the Nazgul. The light that emits from Galdalf's staff is powerful and beautiful at the same time. It signifies for me the courage and hope that good forces provide in the face of seemingly impossible odds. The music in this scene was awesome too.

Growlithe the Grey
Rivendell

Mar 25 2010, 4:14am

Post #18 of 360 (43064 views)
Shortcut
Concerning Hobbits? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll tell ya, this is a tough one. There are so many brilliant and iconic scenes, but the one I keep coming back to is the one bjtp mentions. After the chaos and darkness that we see in the opening scenes of Fellowship, it's such a contrast when the story starts in Hobbiton. There's something so organic and earthy about those first glimpses of Hobbiton, and the music is so beautiful and whimsical. When Gandalf arrives is a great scene too - the ethereal almost dreamlike quality of the Shire is just amazing. That tone is never really felt again for the rest of the films, and I the first time I saw those shots of Hobbiton was such a pleasure knowing there were three full films of this ahead of me to discover.

So my favorite scene is the first revelation of the Shire on screen.

ascoggins04

Mar 25 2010, 4:30am

Post #19 of 360 (43724 views)
Shortcut
favorite scene [In reply to] Can't Post

This is sooo hard!
I think right now my favorite scene is near the end of the Return of the King at Aragorn's coronation, when he sees the hobbits and they bow to him and he says "No my friends you bow to no one" Aaah it is making me tear up even now! Boy the Hobbit better live up to Jackson's films!!
amandascoggins04@gmail.com

ME Mom

Mar 25 2010, 4:33am

Post #20 of 360 (42775 views)
Shortcut
My Favorite Scene... [In reply to] Can't Post

My favorite scene takes place in "The Two Towers". It is when the elves come to Helms Deep to help with the battle. I get the chills every time when Gimli, Aragorn, and Legolas hear the horn and then the music plays as the Elven warriors enter the Keep.

carnivorousrabbit
The Shire

Mar 25 2010, 4:34am

Post #21 of 360 (43886 views)
Shortcut
My favorite scene... [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't make me pick! I have too many. Like the scene showing us around the shire, the Balrog, first time you see Gollum, Gandalf and the Rohirrim riding down the side of the mountain, Frodo nearly giving the ring to the Nazgul, and pretty much the entire third movie.

If I had to pick one...god...I gotta go with the battle of Pelennor Fields. That is the most epic battle in a film ever. It's beautiful in a bloody, hellish war way. Perfected film-making in every way.

FarFromHome
Valinor

Mar 25 2010, 4:40am

Post #22 of 360 (45140 views)
Shortcut
I guess it's okay [In reply to] Can't Post

It looks like this thread is a great way to get new folks interested in posting, and that's surely a good thing! (Although I suppose it would be an even better thing if those new folks could come from anywhere in the world...) But I understand that the prizes are - presumably - offered through the US advertising budget of WB, and so can only be won by people in the US.

Personally, I don't care at all about winning prizes, it's just the discussions I love - and thanks to the advertising revenue that TORn is able to generate, probably mostly from US sources, we all get to discuss to our heart's content. I wouldn't have minded a chance to contribute to this thread too, but let's face it, there are plenty more!

Smile

They went in, and Sam shut the door.
But even as he did so, he heard suddenly,
deep and unstilled,
the sigh and murmur of the Sea upon the shores of Middle-earth.
From the unpublished Epilogue to the Lord of the Rings

Coley
The Shire

Mar 25 2010, 4:40am

Post #23 of 360 (45133 views)
Shortcut
The approach of the Balrog [In reply to] Can't Post

My favorite would probably have to be the scene in Fellowship where you can hear the Balrog in the distance, as Gandalf explains what's approaching. The music and Mckellan's performance really sold that scene for me. It's even better if you've read The Silmarillion!

Proud lurker of TORn since 2003.

usmintexas

Mar 25 2010, 4:55am

Post #24 of 360 (41861 views)
Shortcut
My Favorite Scene... [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree with the other posters that this is very difficult. However, I must say that of the many favorites, (and there are SO many) :), I would have to pick the scene with the 4 hobbits back at the Green Dragon near the end of Return of the King after the adventure is over. There is a maturity, and stoic sadness to this particular scene. And then after this is conveyed, there is a brotherhood and comradeship that only exists with men and women who have gone to war together. You see it in the quietness of the scene that was once a place of much merriment and dancing on tables, and is now just a place where they can be together. They look at each other with a solemn understanding, and can muster a smile only when they toast each other. This is a place where they are trying to reconnect with their old selves. I think this echos what it is like for some of our men and women in uniform who go to war and then cannot possibly explain or relate what war is like to anyone who was not there with them. In the trenches. The hell it must be. What a quick scene. What a massive amount of emotion and subtext that is displayed. I find it very poignant and sad - and conversely - I see much hope in the fact that they have each other after such a taxing experience. I glean this by their solemn smiles when they toast each other. Not a grand smile borne of unstoppable laughter. Simply a knowing smile. A grateful smile. I often have wondered what they must be thinking at that moment. I would imagine a whole host of things: "I'm glad you are here." "I can't believe we made it through all of that." "Did we deserve to make it, when others did not". "You three at this table are now the only ones in this whole country that understand me". "No matter what, I'm here for you. Always." "Now what?" "I fear things will never be the same, but you already knew that didn't you."

As I said, a small moment, but very moving and riddled with powerful subtext. Very touching. My most favorite.

Cheers,

Tex-

(This post was edited by usmintexas on Mar 25 2010, 4:58am)

drjudithvolpe

Mar 25 2010, 5:18am

Post #25 of 360 (42620 views)
Shortcut
Favorite scene in trilogy [In reply to] Can't Post

when the hobbits are crouching under the tree to avoid the Nazgul, very tense and scary, you think they are going to be found out any minute.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.