From TORN's home page: Orlando comments on The Hobbit

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 19 2007, 9:27pm

Post #1 of 24 (10943 views)
Shortcut
From TORN's home page: Orlando comments on The Hobbit Can't Post

Orland iffy on 'Hobbit' unless Peter Jackson returns
Orlando Bloom seems to be shying away from playing the great elf Legolas in “The Hobbit,” that is unless his original “Lord of the Rings” helmer is behind the camera. “Who’s directing it, Peter Jackson?” he mockingly answered when asked about the possibility.
Yes, we know that Legolas isn’t technically in “The Hobbit,” and to his eternal credit, Bloom knows this as well. But dedicated “Rings” fans know that Legolas is an elf from the realm of Mirkwood, a kingdom Bilbo Baggins and his dwarf companions get captured in towards the end of “The Hobbit,” imprisoned there by the Elvenking Thranduil.
Given, then, that Bilbo spends much time during “The Hobbit” at Mirkwood, and given, too, that Thranduil is Legolas’s father – it seems inconceivable that filmmakers wouldn’t choose to include the popular character in some capacity. “Maybe they’ll create a subplot for Legolas,” Bloom said, though later adding that “I think we covered [his story] with ‘Lord of the Rings.’”

The blog comments beneath the article (http://www.mtvmoviesblog.com/...ter-jackson-returns/) includes an idea that caught my eye: David Bowie as Thranduil?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

May 19 2007, 11:29pm

Post #2 of 24 (9181 views)
Shortcut
Sorry, but [In reply to] Can't Post

David Bowie as Thranduil?

is giving me visions of an Ezpeleta pic come to life.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 20 2007, 12:08am

Post #3 of 24 (9129 views)
Shortcut
Ha! Didn't think of that. [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder if any of our creative types could merge Bowie's Goblin King into a picture of Thranduil's hall? I'm picking the result could be nightmarish. Cool

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Mar
Gondor

May 20 2007, 1:20am

Post #4 of 24 (9152 views)
Shortcut
Inconceivable! [In reply to] Can't Post

Just love any chance to say that....
I must add - the thought of a subplot both intrigues and concerns me.
Might lend itself to some 'Conspiracy Theories' that we could have fun with...

Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its troubles,
it empties today of its strength.

Elven
Valinor

May 20 2007, 3:53am

Post #5 of 24 (9176 views)
Shortcut
What .. No Leggie ... yeah right!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Leave out Legolas!! Not a chance! Shocked
I have a vision of a very smirky Orlando Bloom smile when he said that!! *the cheek* Wink
Although not technically in The Hobbit, Tolkien has placed Legolas close enough to the story for him to be there ... creative license ...

David Bowie as the Thranduil? I can see that ... but also Ezpaleeta - and Im thinking Brian Froud here as well.

I'd like to see Russel Crowe as Beorn!! *dont throw tomataos!! I have my sunday best pyjamas on here ..splat* Laugh

Hope Leggies schedule is clear past 2009 ...

Ive booked my ticket on the rollercoaster for the ride!! WOOHOO!!

Heart Elven

SILVERCHAIRS Daniel Johns gets the crowd going at the 'Big Day Out Festival' at Minas Tirith.

"Never wash your name in hot water Elvenesque - it shrinks!" said the Gaffer.
Tolkien was a Capricorn!
..All we are saying ..Is Give Pete A Chance" ...

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 20 2007, 12:48pm

Post #6 of 24 (9123 views)
Shortcut
I'll betcha if [In reply to] Can't Post

Peter's leading the pack and asks... everyone who could possibly be fit in will be there like a shot! Double shot! TRIPLE SHOT! :D

Film 2 of the two-film project would make the possibility of reprising roles more likely or, at least, possible since it's drawing the stories of The Hobbit and LotR together. *twitch*

omg... what a magical opportunity!!

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

orcbane
Gondor

May 20 2007, 1:53pm

Post #7 of 24 (9190 views)
Shortcut
Yea Legolas, Nay Elven King from Mars [In reply to] Can't Post

It would be great to see any of the original cast in additional films. 'I hereby grant the thy licence'. But I imagine it will take some thought on how to do it without marring the new film. The focus would probably be best kept on the main Hobbit characters. Cameo's perhaps ? Now D.Bowie is another matter! Thranduil...? I think he has done some thoughtful music, but am not sure he has the level of acting ability needed. Even if he did, I think it would be practically impossible not to see 'Bowie as an Elven King' rather then first see an Elven King.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 20 2007, 7:01pm

Post #8 of 24 (9068 views)
Shortcut
Did you see Bowie in The Prestige? [In reply to] Can't Post

I was surprised by how good he was. He breathed that rather spooky role.

Ataahua's stories

Elven
Valinor

May 20 2007, 7:12pm

Post #9 of 24 (9078 views)
Shortcut
Wouldnt it be really cool .. [In reply to] Can't Post

To find out after the movies have been made by Peter in the extended edition of the Hobbit DVD'S (There and Back Again Wink) the story of how they had all made a pact during LOTR, that if the Hobbit went ahead they would be there for the film - for Peter!

We shall never give up gramma!!

Heart Elven

SILVERCHAIRS Daniel Johns gets the crowd going at the 'Big Day Out Festival' at Minas Tirith.

Tolkien was a Capricorn!

deej
Tol Eressea

May 20 2007, 11:55pm

Post #10 of 24 (9120 views)
Shortcut
I wouldn't want them to make Leggie a central character [In reply to] Can't Post

...not like Arwen was in 'LotR'. But it is totally plausable that he would have been there with his dad in Mirkwood, and I think it would be cooler to see Orlando in a cameo than have a big part. Maybe standing with his father when Bilbo and the Dwarves are brought in.

Sincerely, deej - The Artist Formerly Known as djdeathskiss

Atlanta Woot! Moot 2007 - Join us Labor Day weekend; go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/atlanta_woot_moot/

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 21 2007, 12:27am

Post #11 of 24 (9052 views)
Shortcut
I'd bet real money [In reply to] Can't Post

that's exactly what happened :)

*high five*

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

LostHamster
The Shire

May 21 2007, 12:31am

Post #12 of 24 (9053 views)
Shortcut
And he was an excellent Goblin king in Labrynth [In reply to] Can't Post

I think he has enough of that 'otherwordly' feel to play an elf quite nicely

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 21 2007, 12:32am

Post #13 of 24 (9101 views)
Shortcut
Exactly. [In reply to] Can't Post

One preference I have for FOTR's TV over the EE is the stone trolls: In the TV they're just in the background, not referenced at all, which I LOVED! In the EE we got Sam's, "Look, it's Mr Bilbo's trolls!" which took some of the insider coolness from it.

Something similar with Legolas in The Hobbit would be nice - nothing obvious, just him in the background, hanging out with his rellies.

Ataahua's stories

(This post was edited by Ataahua on May 21 2007, 12:32am)

orcbane
Gondor

May 21 2007, 3:28am

Post #14 of 24 (9080 views)
Shortcut
Bowigolas [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw Labyrinth but not Prestige. I would agree he does have an otherworldly presence. But one of the things that worked really well for me was not knowing the actors before seeing LoTR. I thought it helped to focus on the characters rather then 'hey look there's so and so playing Celeborn'. I could be wrong, but I think he would have to have a great performance to get people past his Bowie Character. I'm doubtful he could pull that off.

I have thought it would be cool to maybe run into Legolas on the battlefield. Another thought was to change the story a bit. In the book the spiders finally give up the chase when Bilbo & company reach an elven clearing. Instead have the elves showup out of nowhere to drive the spiders off in a short but fast little battle. The elven leader could then take off his helmet & its....

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 21 2007, 3:37am

Post #15 of 24 (9065 views)
Shortcut
That, I think, is exactly the problem. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think there are too many people who remember him as the Goblin King for him to really disappear into the role of Thranduil. Plus, I really don't want anyone who is going to make me think of Ezpeleta....*shudder*

Silverlode

Between the acting of a dreadful thing
And the first motion, all the interim is
Like a phantasma, or a hideous dream:
The genius and the plan thus inspired
Depart me and I, entering a room,
Find myself on the threshold, stand still
And wonder what I came to do there.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

May 21 2007, 7:02am

Post #16 of 24 (9036 views)
Shortcut
"The Man Who Fell To Earth" [In reply to] Can't Post

(1976) Bowie was brilliant in that. And, let's face it, Thranduil doesn't have to do a lot. I vote YES!

Queen Mary II approaching Honolulu harbor
February 9, 2007, 7:30 am

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

Elven
Valinor

May 21 2007, 8:18am

Post #17 of 24 (9073 views)
Shortcut
Its his onscreen presence ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Somehow he managed (for me) to encaspulate Legolas totally - I have a great deal of admiration for the way he was depicted - it does not look like Orlando Bloom at all - even after watching the movies over and over .. he transcends Orlando to become this 'Middle-Earth Elve.
I think even if he had a small part - his presence would still be noticed ... very much like Liv as Arwen - though I think they may change his 'look' very slightly - after all he wont be travelling - unless he goes to Lake Town, he'll be at home in his own space ...
Leggy Slippers and sweaters Wink

Just thinking about that - seeing that Leggy can drink like a fish ... they must have had a huge number of barrels of wine to get elves happy at the Palace! ... excpet for the storemen ... Tongue Wink

Heart Elven

Tolkien was a Capricorn!

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

May 21 2007, 4:44pm

Post #18 of 24 (9103 views)
Shortcut
Cameo yes; subplot no [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it would be appropriate for Orlando Bloom to have a couple of appearances as Legolas in the Hobbit movie. Perhaps we could see him feasting in the woods or hunting deer. Alternatively, he could be in the party that captures the Dwarves or a member of Thranduil's court. He and his infamous Gatling Bow could also be in a couple of shots during the Battle of Five Armies. But that's it. Blowing up these cameos into a full-fledged subplot would be absurd. It would distract from the story's focus on Bilbo's journey and introduce a plot element that Tolkien never intended even in passing.

I really don't want the Hobbit movie to be bloated out of all recognition by a lot of extraneous material that Tolkien didn't include in the original. The connection between the movies should focus on the Ring and characters like Bilbo, Gollum, Gandalf and Elrond. Other references should be less prominent and not interfere with the story; an Orlando cameo would fit in with that kind of adaptation.

I want the Hobbit to be, well, the Hobbit, not "Lord of the Rings: Episode I." Lord of the Rings is the sequel to the Hobbit and was written to capitalize on its success; the Hobbit should never be viewed as a "prequel" in the sense of something that was conceived afterwards! Unfortunately, the Hobbit movie is inevitably going to be thought of as a prequel to the LOTR movies. I just hope it isn't as lame as the prequels to Star Wars.

With caffeine, all things are possible.

The pity of Bilbo will screw up the fate of many.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

(This post was edited by Idril Celebrindal on May 21 2007, 4:51pm)

orcbane
Gondor

May 21 2007, 11:10pm

Post #19 of 24 (9036 views)
Shortcut
King & Son [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess a lot will depend on how the screenplay writers decide to handle it. For lack of better words I'll say the tone and focus. For example, if you decide a certain sort of authenticity is a priority, then Legolas would have had to been in the backround somewhere. Certainly at least at the Battle of Five Armies. Kings send sons to wars & not vice versa. He was not invented yet of course when The Hobbit was written, but I think the film version of middle-earth has to have consistancy with itself. But yes, cameo only. Still would be fun.

GaladrielTX
Tol Eressea

May 22 2007, 5:59pm

Post #20 of 24 (9034 views)
Shortcut
I'm sure you know by now [In reply to] Can't Post

how I’d receive news of Bowie as an Elvenking. ;o) Seriously, I think a great deal of him as an actor. As for Legolas, I hope they don’t use cameos. While I wouldn’t mind some actors reprising their roles as the major Hobbit characters (Gandalf and Elrond and maybe Galadriel), I don’t want constant reminders of LOTR. The Hobbit is its own story. I also don’t want to be reminded, by Legolas’ presence, that, according to the LOTR movies, Elves have a good head for wine. It’s a crucial plot point in The Hobbit that they don’t.

~~~~~~~~

I used to be GaladrielTX, but it's springtime and I'm shedding.

Darkstone
Immortal

May 22 2007, 6:05pm

Post #21 of 24 (9005 views)
Shortcut
NO! [In reply to] Can't Post

There is only one Goblin King. And Bowie is it. Bowie as the Goblin King in The Hobbit!!

"Dance, music, dance...*

All is not gold that glitters,
All is not pure that shines.
Follow your mother's teachings
And happiness will be thine!
-Bugs Bunny, "Bowery Bugs", 1949.

orcbane
Gondor

May 22 2007, 9:30pm

Post #22 of 24 (9012 views)
Shortcut
The Elephant Goblin [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know about a Bowie Goblin King. I am thinking of someone very large an domineering (Life is rough in Goblin Town). But I do think it would be cool to see Bowie in a cameo, maybe with Legolas in a battle. I know...all I can think of is giving everybody a spear & putting them in the battle.

Darkstone
Immortal

May 22 2007, 9:43pm

Post #23 of 24 (9035 views)
Shortcut
Ben Britton as Thranduil. [In reply to] Can't Post

He plays the Elf in the prologue, the one with the wildly blowing hair, that lots of people mistake for Legolas. See link.

http://www.theargonath.cc/fereveldir/

All is not gold that glitters,
All is not pure that shines.
Follow your mother's teachings
And happiness will be thine!
-Bugs Bunny, "Bowery Bugs", 1949.

Ufthak
Rivendell

May 22 2007, 11:16pm

Post #24 of 24 (10357 views)
Shortcut
I could see Bowie as Thranduil, actually [In reply to] Can't Post

Could work, could be hideously miscast. But I'm not ruling him out.

I can't get positive
Just get it over with
Today is hate the world day

~The Wildhearts

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.