Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Did You Ever Notice... Legolas' Fellowship Costume?

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Mar 11 2010, 5:50pm

Post #1 of 24 (6218 views)
Shortcut
Did You Ever Notice... Legolas' Fellowship Costume? Can't Post

I can't do justice to this costume in 250 KB of images, but I'll try to give you a quick overview of it.

We have soft grey pants that look like suede but are actually closer to a stretchy velour fabric. A grey silk shirt, which is constructed awfully strangely. And a green suede jerkin with a darker green leaf on it (notice how it looks a lot like the Fellowship brooches?). Plus boots and belts and more leatherwork than you can shake a stick at.

Let's start with that grey-blue silk shirt. Well, this is a type of silk called dupioni, which has a really rough texture to it. It's the texture that makes it look striped.

The underside of the sleeves are laced all the way up.

It closes in front with silver clasps.

And it has no back!

AlleyCatScratch theorizes that this is so the front of the shirt lays flat when all the gear is strapped onto his back. Elves, apparently, aren't allowed to have wrinkly shirts Laugh

Over that we get his suede jerkin. The jerkin opens down the front and is laced down the sides and back. There are swirl patterns burned into the darker green part.

And now for the miscellanea:

For more images and tons of details, check out AlleyCatScratch's pages on this costume.

So, what do you think?

Did You Ever Notice? is a running look at some of the detail in LOTR, one costume at a time. It follows no pattern and appears on no particular day. Look for me when you see me. You can always find previous discussions over at my Costume Discussion Archive.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive
The Screencap of the Day Schedule for March

macfalk
Valinor

Mar 11 2010, 6:02pm

Post #2 of 24 (4836 views)
Shortcut
these clothing terms [In reply to] Can't Post

is like russian for me Cool

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 11 2010, 6:14pm

Post #3 of 24 (4887 views)
Shortcut
Such incredible detail, [In reply to] Can't Post

with fabrics that I really want to touch to because of the textures. (Is anyone else like this - you see a fabric and have to touch it?)

Sam's cloak had tricky cuts in the back to enable Sean to carry that heavy pack without his cloak bunching up, but I don't see how Legolas's quiver would cause the clothing to bunch in the same way so that can't be the reason for the shirt cut-out. It is odd, isn't it?

By the way what is with Orlando's cack-angled foot? Look at all of the photos that show his feet - his left one makes it look as if the boot's sole has worn down on one side.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Oden
Rivendell

Mar 11 2010, 8:06pm

Post #4 of 24 (4907 views)
Shortcut
His left foot... [In reply to] Can't Post

Since the first time I saw these photos on the extended version DVD years ago, I too have wondered about his oddly angled left boot.

I believe it is also visible in other extended version photos. Unfortunately I don't have the DVDs available at this moment.

Although I have absolutely no podiatry experience, it almost looks like the way Orlando stands/walks.

Does anyone else know of any specifics?

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Mar 11 2010, 11:55pm

Post #5 of 24 (4873 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps [In reply to] Can't Post

it is a residual effect of breaking his back?

I love the colour of Legolas's shirt... had no idea it was backless, thanks Lady AD! I found a shirt that very nearly matched it in colour, but not in style. Still, it has been a cherished item of my wardrobe for years.

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Mar 12 2010, 10:26am

Post #6 of 24 (4839 views)
Shortcut
One of my favorite costumes! [In reply to] Can't Post

He certainly looks elvish and that he is at home in a forest.

It looks elegent while still appearing to be suitable for the wilds.

You don't notice all the embellishments in the movies, but I really enjoy getting to see them in your posts.

Movie Technical Discussion -- Index

weaver
Half-elven

Mar 12 2010, 3:14pm

Post #7 of 24 (4842 views)
Shortcut
is that the sequel to "My Left Foot"? [In reply to] Can't Post

...sorry, silly Friday moment here...!

(Good movie, BTW!)

No matter which way his feet go, they certainly contribute to a very nice way of striding around...not that I noticed or anything....

Weaver

Oden
Rivendell

Mar 12 2010, 8:05pm

Post #8 of 24 (4789 views)
Shortcut
Yep! [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad you caught the movie reference!

Great movie and great actor.

weaver
Half-elven

Mar 12 2010, 8:18pm

Post #9 of 24 (4835 views)
Shortcut
to quote Gimli... [In reply to] Can't Post

"it was deliberate!" -- ha!

Hard to tell sometimes if people mean the reference I think they mean -- glad I guessed right!

Weaver

Elwen
Lorien

Mar 16 2010, 6:54pm

Post #10 of 24 (4750 views)
Shortcut
Great costume! Maybe the cutout... [In reply to] Can't Post

is for ease of movement. Put on a suit jacket or a leather jacket and try to quickly, gracefully, and repeatedly nock an arrow and fire. (Don't do this at work though or your coworkers might think you've finally gone round the bend.) I bet it would be uncomfortable.

I love this costume. The perfect elven combination of form and function. It's beautiful and elegant, but obviously an ensemble for traveling and fighting. I'm glad that they chose this over the original design, which is hard to find pictures of, but much less tailored-looking. I think it works better for the son of Thranduil.

Eryn
Bree

Mar 16 2010, 6:59pm

Post #11 of 24 (4755 views)
Shortcut
I have always loved this costume [In reply to] Can't Post

I am continually amazed at the ridiculously high level of detail that goes into these costumes, and I remember watching the feature on costume design on the EE, and being completely flabbergasted! Totally brilliant, and admirable.
But this is definitely one of my favourite costumes (rivalled really only by Gandalf the White's (detail barely seen in the film, but close-up shots show incredible stitching and sewn patterns)). I think the way the fabric all looks so natural and like something an elf would wear, is brilliant. And both the actual shapes of the costume, and the designs on it, are so, well, elvish!
Oh and btw- what I wouldn't give for a pair of those boots! And the belt! Gah! Swoon! Smile

Lord of Magic
Bree

Mar 19 2010, 11:35pm

Post #12 of 24 (4762 views)
Shortcut
His left foot [In reply to] Can't Post

might just have been another detail the designers decided to put in.

"you ever notice how Orlando puts more weight on his left foot?"

"Yeah, maybe the sole should be worn down more..."

I don't know if that's actually how Orlando Bloom walks, but its a possible explanation.

Former Duke of Stardock, Overseer of the Paraphysical Army of Tokidoki, High Mage in Service to King Lyam conDoin I of Rillanon, The Absolute Lord, Ruler, and Sovereign of all Tokidoki.

The White Dragon and Arnölé, The Lord of All Magic

Lothlorian
Lorien

Mar 21 2010, 12:33am

Post #13 of 24 (4746 views)
Shortcut
The swirls and curlicues [In reply to] Can't Post

look very Celtic . The outfit seems a lot more utilitarian than the robes that Elrond wore - which would make sense - Legolas was a warrior-prince and Elrond was a ruler. I always felt sorry for the women who were expected to look graceful and wear flowing gowns which are harder to be vigorous in!

Lothlorian
Lorien

Mar 21 2010, 1:06am

Post #14 of 24 (4698 views)
Shortcut
how do I find previous threads [In reply to] Can't Post

about this subject? I assume that other costuming has been featured and discussed - is there an archive link? Sorry about the double post. I haven't quite figured out how to navigate this site yet. Thanks!

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 21 2010, 1:14am

Post #15 of 24 (4694 views)
Shortcut
Try using the Search Posts "Ring" link [In reply to] Can't Post

at the top of the screen. Search for posts on this forum (Movie Discussion - LOTR) with the phrase "Did you ever notice" in the subject line. That should bring them all up for you.

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

(This post was edited by Silverlode on Mar 21 2010, 1:15am)

weaver
Half-elven

Mar 21 2010, 1:16am

Post #16 of 24 (4695 views)
Shortcut
Arwen's Daughter has a link to them in her footer... [In reply to] Can't Post

Go back to the root post that started this thread, and scroll all the way to the bottom -- you'll find a link to the Archive that Arwen's Daughter has assembled of all the other costumes she's featured on this board..

Oh, and welcome to TORn, too -- if you have questions on how to navigate the site, the Feedback Board is a great place to get advice and guidance on how to find your way around here!

Glad you found the place -- enjoy yourself!

Weaver

Lothlorian
Lorien

Mar 21 2010, 1:38am

Post #17 of 24 (4697 views)
Shortcut
Thank You Both Very Much! [In reply to] Can't Post

I very much look forward to spending time here with you all! I can't wait to try your suggestions!

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 21 2010, 2:28am

Post #18 of 24 (4749 views)
Shortcut
"The underside of the sleeves are laced all the way up. " [In reply to] Can't Post

IIRC, they didn't start out that way. Orlando's upper arms increased in bulk quite a bit from his continually pulling at the bow that he outgrew his shirt sleeves. Cutting them open and lacing them was how they dealt with that.

I had a lovely wallpaper of Orlando I was quite fond of. The part of his costume that intrigued me was this:

I wondered how that buckle on his chest was configured. I loved that buckle! lol

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

elvenhobbit
Rohan

Mar 21 2010, 4:27pm

Post #19 of 24 (4731 views)
Shortcut
*someones on the ball of it today* lol [In reply to] Can't Post

Elven by name, Hobbit by nature

'Road lead ever on and on
down from the door where it began
now far ahead the road has gone
down from where all began' -FOTR-

and through all the world has changed
the ages come and go with time
and yet those remain unchanged
unto they journey westward
over the sea...

and through it all we remain strong and true
for eternity is bonds unbroken
beyond the sea...

*****10 year LOTR fan ******

Lothlorian
Lorien

Apr 15 2010, 6:45pm

Post #20 of 24 (4712 views)
Shortcut
Is it time yet for another "Did you notice . . . " [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Go back to the root post that started this thread, and scroll all the way to the bottom -- you'll find a link to the Archive that Arwen's Daughter has assembled of all the other costumes she's featured on this board..

I've thoroughly enjoyed the archives *Arwen's Daughter,* and would love to see where you go next! I've got the Barbie versions at home and pulled them out for a closer look after reviewing your archives! (Hopeing to get the Tonner Arwen and eventually Frantkin Mint Arwen and Galadreil - of course the SIdeshow versions are on the wish list but don't think I'll be shelliing out that kind of money for figurines/action heroes!)

weaver
Half-elven

Apr 15 2010, 7:30pm

Post #21 of 24 (4678 views)
Shortcut
because Arwen's Daughter may not see this... [In reply to] Can't Post

Normally, she'd be the one to answer, but since you replied to my post, AD might not see this, especially since it's an older thread...

My understanding is that she does these as she has time..you can see there's a fair amount of work involved...so they arrive "precisely when she means them to" -- never fear, she's highly reliable, so I suspect will stop in again soon with one when she has time.

That said, you don't have to wait for her to post one to ask a question on the costuming or make an observation of your own, etc...there will always be someone around willing to chat on things like that, even if we're not as knowledgeable as Arwen's Daughter. So, post away if you like!

Weaver

Lothlorian
Lorien

Apr 15 2010, 7:40pm

Post #22 of 24 (4670 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! I'm still a little fuzzy about how things work around here! [In reply to] Can't Post

You've all been very kind - it makes this a lot more fun for us noobs/narfs!

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Apr 15 2010, 8:53pm

Post #23 of 24 (4642 views)
Shortcut
weaver got it in one! [In reply to] Can't Post

It is well past time that I posted another costume thread, but I've been online less and less often these days. Rest assured that I'll be back with a new one just as soon as I can! Cool

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive
The Screencap of the Day Schedule for March

Lothlorian
Lorien

Apr 15 2010, 9:06pm

Post #24 of 24 (4898 views)
Shortcut
Glad to hear it! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope your time away is voluntary and not because you are swamped by the whole rest of your life! Or is that good? I'm never sure!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.