The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
"Hobbits are Free People too!"

LordotRings93
Rohan

Mar 10 2010, 9:27pm

Post #1 of 11 (840 views)
Shortcut
"Hobbits are Free People too!" Can't Post

I was just playing the Fellowship Of The Ring game for PS2 and made it to Rivendell. They held the Council Of Elrond, and something that Pippin said made me think more about this, "Hobbits are Free People too!" I'm posting this because Hobbits are always unmentioned among the Free Peoples. It's always Men, Elves, and Dwarves. Why do the Hobbits never get a mention? Hobbits are my favorite race, and it makes me sad to see that they get the short end of the walking stick... Any thoughts or comments on this?

The HUGEST Lord of the Rings fan ever!
Owner of all Lord of the Rings merchandise.
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

geordie
Tol Eressea

Mar 10 2010, 9:49pm

Post #2 of 11 (703 views)
Shortcut
I hope you're not taking too much notice of games [In reply to] Can't Post

- because that would be silly! Wink Of course Hobbits are among the Free Peoples; it's just that for a long time they were disregarded, or possibly unknown, to the makers of lists. This was rectified son after the Council of Elrond, when Merry and Pippin spoke to Treebeard. 'Half-grown hobbits, the hole-dwellers' suggested Pippin. Treebeard took his advice (some of it anyway), and put them in next to the Big People. So that's all right, then.

Smile

the_argonath
Lorien

Mar 10 2010, 10:30pm

Post #3 of 11 (687 views)
Shortcut
I guess... [In reply to] Can't Post

... that they also kept themselves to themselves much of the time, excepting Bilbo and the four Hobbits o'course Wink
So they perhaps weren't often remembered/included or regarded as important *sigh*

~*Haudh-en-Ndengin the Elves named it, the Hill of Slain, and Haugh-en-Nirnaeth, the Hill of tears... the earth beneath which the swords of the Eldar and the Edain crumbled into rust*~

(This post was edited by the_argonath on Mar 10 2010, 10:31pm)

LordotRings93
Rohan

Mar 10 2010, 11:29pm

Post #4 of 11 (681 views)
Shortcut
But the games [In reply to] Can't Post

The games are a part of the Tolkien fandom as well, and the games is what furthers my knowledge in Tolkien and Middle-earth.

But you guys have made some valuable points. Keep em coming!

The HUGEST Lord of the Rings fan ever!
Owner of all Lord of the Rings merchandise.
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

aranelthehobbit22
Gondor

Mar 11 2010, 12:42am

Post #5 of 11 (645 views)
Shortcut
Yeah that's true! [In reply to] Can't Post

I suppose since no one really knows about them.
I always laugh in the movie when Elrond said something like "And may the good will of all Men, Elves and All Free Folk go with you" and it shows Gimli when it says free folk and I also first think of the rivalry between the Elves and Dwarves, and laugh cause they didn't mention the dwarves.
But now that you mention it, Hobbits are talked about when the "free peoples" are mentioned.
Interesting observation, mellon nin!

Photobucket

'Help oft shall come from the hands of the weak when the Wise falter.'

Photobucket

"Yet in that hour was put to the proof that which Mithrandir had spoken, and help came from the hands of the weak when the Wise faltered."

geordie
Tol Eressea

Mar 11 2010, 7:22am

Post #6 of 11 (664 views)
Shortcut
Hardly... [In reply to] Can't Post

"The games are a part of the Tolkien fandom as well, and the games is what furthers my knowledge in Tolkien and Middle-earth."

From what I've heard, games based on LotR don't have very much to do with Tolkien and his stories. The books are really the only way to further one's knowledge.

Curious
Half-elven

Mar 11 2010, 10:03am

Post #7 of 11 (641 views)
Shortcut
You remind me of this passage: [In reply to] Can't Post

[Gandalf and Pippin arrive at Minas Tirith where the guards ask about Gandalf's companion. Gandalf responds.]

'His name is Peregrin, a very valiant man.'
...'Man?' said Ingold dubiously, and the others laughed.
...'Man!' cried Pippin, now thoroughly roused. 'Man! Indeed not! I am a hobbit and no more valiant than I am a man, save perhaps now and again by necessity. Do not let Gandalf deceive you!'
...'Many a doer of great deeds might say no more,' said Ingold. 'But what is a hobbit?'
...'A Halfling,' answered Gandalf. 'Nay, not the one that was spoken of,' he added seeing the wonder in the men's faces. 'Not he, yet one of his kindred....'

So here are two possible reasons why hobbits would not be listed among the free peoples. First, some would consider them a subrace of Men, just as the Pukel-men are another subrace of Men. Second, most people are simply unaware of the hobbits. Even Treebeard was unaware of them, until Merry and Pippin persuaded him to add hobbits to his list.

'Learn now the lore of Living Creatures!
First name the four, the free peoples:
Eldest of all, the elf-children;
Dwarf the delver, dark are his houses;
Ent the earthborn, old as mountains;
Man the mortal, master of horses:

Hm, hm, hm.

Beaver the builder, buck the leaper,
Bear bee-hunter, boar the fighter;
Hound is hungry, hare is fearful…

hm, hm.

Eagle in eyrie, ox in pasture,
Hart horn-crowned; hawk is swiftest
Swan the whitest, serpent coldest…

Hoom, hm; hoom. hm. how did it go? Room tum, room tum, roomty toom tum. It
was a long list. But anyway you do not seem to fit in anywhere!'

'We always seem to have got left out of the old lists, and the old stories,'
said Merry. 'Yet we've been about for quite a long time. We're hobbits.'

'Why not make a new line?' said Pippin.

'Half-grown hobbits, the hole-dwellers.
Put us in amongst the four, next to Man (the Big People) and you've got it.'

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Mar 11 2010, 2:34pm

Post #8 of 11 (628 views)
Shortcut
And I'm reminded of a trading card I saw [In reply to] Can't Post

in a game I bought in the early days of the movies. They had characters on the cards, labeled with their races: Elf, Dwarf, Man etc. Eowyn was labeled "Man". :-D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Curious
Half-elven

Mar 11 2010, 2:50pm

Post #9 of 11 (639 views)
Shortcut
That's true to Tolkien. [In reply to] Can't Post

He was of the old school, and referred to the race of Man, used generically. Of course, the difference between the generic "Man" and the gender-specific "man" is what tripped up the Witchking. And some would argue that the difference between the generic "Man" and the race-specific "man" also tripped up the Witchking, since Merry the hobbit teamed up with Eowyn the woman.

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 11 2010, 2:55pm

Post #10 of 11 (607 views)
Shortcut
they are 'but'... [In reply to] Can't Post

you can't necessarily apply what is true for the games to the body of work Tolkien created. Otherwise, the games use Tolkien as a basis but they make stuff up at will whenever they feel it fits the needs of the game.

Decipher Cards did the same thing even from movie to card game. They changed the names of characters from the movie to the game... or just took unnamed characters from the movie and gave them names. You can't necessarily go backwards and then say that, because Decipher declares it so... it was thus so in the movie.

But fans of Tolkien based games have a place in Tolkien fandom, you are right. Especially if they care to learn more about the actual stories and world of Middle-earth. One can love both.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Hamfast Gamgee
Tol Eressea

Mar 12 2010, 1:44am

Post #11 of 11 (716 views)
Shortcut
In which case [In reply to] Can't Post

If the Witch-King ever saw Lobellia in battle he'd have run one hundred miles Smile

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.