What's Your Preciousssss?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Mar 3 2010, 8:46pm

Post #1 of 34 (463 views)
Shortcut
What's Your Preciousssss? Can't Post

From Empire.com: We want to know your favourite Lord Of The Rings moment The world is changed. You feel it in the water. You smell it in the air. Yes, that's right: Peter Jackson's Lord Of The Rings trilogy is finally coming to Blu-ray, meaning that this April you'll be able to gawp at the sight of the Misty Mountains' peaks and matted Warg fur in crystal-clear high-definition. To celebrate, we want to find out what your all-time favourite moment from the trilogy is. More..

(This post was edited by Altaira on Mar 4 2010, 3:43am)

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Mar 4 2010, 1:59am

Post #2 of 34 (316 views)
Shortcut
The end of all things ... [In reply to] Can't Post

When it comes down to picking one, I have to go with the close of the adventure. "I'm glad you're here with me Samwise Gamgee, here at the end of all things." (as quoted in the movie). Perfect moment, in my opinion.

"Welcome. Wilkommen to Kino Das Bang Bang Boom Boom 1970 Gjong Hai Ich Habe Diese Nacht Wilkommen, 2004."

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Mar 4 2010, 2:05am

Post #3 of 34 (303 views)
Shortcut
Boromir is wounded and dies.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska

At night one cannot tell if crows are black or white.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Mar 4 2010, 2:11am

Post #4 of 34 (310 views)
Shortcut
Yes and a little further on [In reply to] Can't Post

when the Eagles and Gandalf come to find them...

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Mar 4 2010, 2:11am

Post #5 of 34 (313 views)
Shortcut
I said the beacons. [In reply to] Can't Post

That moment of eucatastrophe always gets me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

White Gull
Lorien

Mar 4 2010, 4:17am

Post #6 of 34 (297 views)
Shortcut
When the Shire first unfolds before our eyes in Fellowship of the Ring.// [In reply to] Can't Post

A poet is a nightingale that sits in the darkness and sings to cheers its own solitude with sweet sounds.
-Percy B Shelley

Chiticot
The Shire

Mar 4 2010, 8:18am

Post #7 of 34 (314 views)
Shortcut
Sooooo many... [In reply to] Can't Post

There are so many... But I would choose two:

1. The last moments of Boromir: "I would have followed you my brother! My captain! My king!"
2. The images where the beacons are lit.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 4 2010, 10:02am

Post #8 of 34 (298 views)
Shortcut
Can't do it. Nope. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't have just one. I've been sitting here trying to be grown-up and disciplined. Just ain't gonna happen.

SO... some of mine from each film that are "stop everything" moments that also includes the music in most cases...

Discovering the Shire for the first time... starting with Gandalf coming into scene in the cart... scarf dangling from the lamp and his staff sticking out the back... singing. *sigh*

The Stairs of Khazad-dum!

Frodo and Sam above the lava flow... "I remember the Shire..."

The lighting of the beacons

Gandalf and Pippin talking about death

The opening of The Two Towers! Fabulous!

Legolas taking on the Oliphaunt

Gollum enticing Frodo into Shelob's cave

Frodo talking to Faramir while Smeagol fisssshesss in the pool

Frodo holding the Ring out to drop... "Just let it go!" and Sam... "Don't you let go REACH!"

Gandalf and Frodo talk in Moria ...

Legolas has shot the rope holding the ladder full of Uruks who balance for a moment, thennnn.... whoaaaa! Same with the first Uruk to fall by that slipped-up arrow. TIMBER!!!!

Sam charging Cirith Ungol!

The Havens... just killls me.

Frodo and Sam picked up and carried by the eagles

Gandalf riding out to drive away the Fell Beasts and save Faramir

Arwen out-riding the Nazgul and challenging them at the Ford

I gotta go... don't have time to finish... don't think there is a finish!!!!!

Wanna NZ Moot?

sample sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Mar 4 2010, 10:10am

Post #9 of 34 (282 views)
Shortcut
Yup...// [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska

At night one cannot tell if crows are black or white.

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 4 2010, 10:34am

Post #10 of 34 (289 views)
Shortcut
Turambar says ... [In reply to] Can't Post

"Mine was the attack of the Rohirrim at Pelennor Fields."

(Cross-posted from Movie).

Pohutukawa

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 4 2010, 10:35am

Post #11 of 34 (317 views)
Shortcut
macfalk says ... [In reply to] Can't Post

""I would have followed you my brother. My captain. My king"

Battle at the Black Gates/Crack of doom

Fall of Gandalf

"Have you ever seen it, Aragorn?"

definitaly comes high up."

(Cross-posted from Movie).

Pohutukawa

Kyriel
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 4 2010, 10:56am

Post #12 of 34 (325 views)
Shortcut
"I can't carry it, but I can carry you!" [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm surprised no one else has mentioned that one yet. Ohh, the feeling I get in my chest, and the tears in my eyes, when Sam picks up Frodo and struggles on up Mount Doom!

Of course, Boromir's death, the lighting of the beacons, and the first view of the Shire do pretty much the same thing to me. But Sam's moment of heroism is the creme de la creme.

Those left standing will make millions writing books on the way it should have been. --Incubus

maddsrocks
The Shire

Mar 4 2010, 12:33pm

Post #13 of 34 (277 views)
Shortcut
When Gandalf arrives at Bag end [In reply to] Can't Post

I was literally spellbound - in fact i think i burst into tears in the cinema because it was SOOOO perfect just as I had imagined from the books.

http://madshobbithole.wordpress.com/

"In a hole in the ground there lived a Hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat; it was a Hobbit hole, and that means comfort."

sador
Half-elven

Mar 4 2010, 12:35pm

Post #14 of 34 (290 views)
Shortcut
We've discussed this a few times before [In reply to] Can't Post

The last time was this. And my answer there is as good as any I could post now, and considerably longer.

"It will support thee and defend thee from weariness" - Cirdan.

acheron
Gondor

Mar 4 2010, 1:51pm

Post #15 of 34 (282 views)
Shortcut
yep, me too. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a huge departure from the book, and even within the world of the movies it doesn't make a lot of sense (as Jackson et al. make fun of in the commentary, who's living up at the very peak of the mountains to maintain the beacons?). And yet the sequence is so fantastic, I absolutely forgive everything they did to bring it to us. Cool

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

Alassėa Eruvande
Valinor

Mar 4 2010, 1:58pm

Post #16 of 34 (277 views)
Shortcut
The Lighting of the Beacons [In reply to] Can't Post

"Forth Eorlingas!"

"The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass. And then you see it....White shores... and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise."
"Well, that isn't so bad." "No, no it isn't."

*sniffle*

Uh, gotta go now.

And suddenly the Ainur saw afar off a light, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame.

Patty
Immortal

Mar 4 2010, 5:10pm

Post #17 of 34 (262 views)
Shortcut
Always, it's Frodo and Sam in the boat. But the first view of the Shire is a close second. [In reply to] Can't Post

Followed by the first view of Rivendell and the moment when Aragorn says "we will not abandon Pippin and Merry to torture and death". The background music has a lot to do with my love of that moment. The gift-giving and leave-taking of Lothlorien, with Gimli and Legolas in the boat are in there, too, as is the heart-break of Arwen as she envisions standing at Aragorn's funeral. What a long list this is!

I may go ahead and watch the TE in Blu, cause I see that many of my favorite moments are in the TE. But I wouldn't buy it--I've only so much money, and with it, I've gotta hold out for the EE.

Permanent address: Into the West

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Mar 4 2010, 6:42pm

Post #18 of 34 (267 views)
Shortcut
The Last Allegiance [In reply to] Can't Post

It's all downhill from there... Tongue

Here's to Del Toro becoming the Irvin Kershner of Middle Earth!

Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Mar 4 2010, 10:11pm

Post #19 of 34 (258 views)
Shortcut
Oh, that one! [In reply to] Can't Post

The grey rain curtain... that moves me every time. It is such a wonderful take on the afterlife.

There are so many for me. But that one really stands out.

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Mar 4 2010, 10:57pm

Post #20 of 34 (267 views)
Shortcut
The mourning of Gandalf's fall {NT} [In reply to] Can't Post

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

Oiotįri
Tol Eressea

Mar 5 2010, 12:21am

Post #21 of 34 (255 views)
Shortcut
my favorite too [In reply to] Can't Post

"Death is just another path, one that we all must take"

makes me want to cry every time

Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens

aranelthehobbit22
Gondor

Mar 5 2010, 2:00am

Post #22 of 34 (240 views)
Shortcut
I'm sorry but I can't pick just one . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

So here's my list:
(In chronological order, well mostly)

1. When Bilbo is talking about the Shire and we see how beautiful and peaceful it is, I almost cry seeing Frodo so happy and carefree and then thinking of him in just a few months where he'll be climbing Mt. Doom, reduced to crawling.

2. Frodo and Bilbo reunited and Frodo in the council of Elrond: "I will take it! I will take it! I will take the Ring to Mordor! Though, I do not know the way."

3. Gandalf and Frodo's conversation in Moria about Bilbo, Gollum, Pity, and "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is give to us."

4. Boromir's death and Aragorn saying "They will look for his coming from the White Tower. But he will not return."

5. Frodo and Sam leaving for Mordor.

6. Almost all of the conversations between Frodo and Gollum

7. Merry talking to Pippin about the Shire

8. Theoden "Let them come!"

9. Sam's speech in Osgiliath

10. Frodo and Sam talking about hearing their story told

11. Theoden's death scene

12. Eowyn and Merry defeating the Witch King of Angmar

13. Frodo's last desperate climb up the mountain and Sam's speech about the Shire

14. Aragorn's speech at the black gate

15. The end of all things

16. From Aragorn's coronation on to the end of the movie

And the credits I feel sad cause it's over but I want to cheer (and at times I do) like when I see PJ, Fran, Phillipa, Barry, Tolkien, etc etc

is that too many to list? i would have kept going but i felt like i should cut it short

'I'm glad you are here with me. Here at the end of all things, Sam.'
feet
Walk as the Elves do: lightly upon the snow

weaver
Half-elven

Mar 5 2010, 4:15am

Post #23 of 34 (237 views)
Shortcut
I picked "For Frodo".... [In reply to] Can't Post

Not in the book, but it's a lot of the spirit of the book in one shot, you know?

Weaver

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 5 2010, 9:24am

Post #24 of 34 (231 views)
Shortcut
Uhm [In reply to] Can't Post

There are so many I like.

My most favorite quote is "I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you". I really cried the first time.
My most favorite movie shot is The Lightning of the Beacons.

And for a scene I really love the prologue: "The world is changed......"

And there is so much more, the happiness of The Shire, Gandalf and Frodo "all you have to do...", Gandalf and Pippin "death is just a path...". Of course Aragorn "For Frodo". The Grey Havens, at some times still tears. When Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli approach Edoras, I love that music (but that also has to do with visiting the real Mt. Sunday and hearing the music when standing there).

the_argonath
Lorien

Mar 5 2010, 4:15pm

Post #25 of 34 (232 views)
Shortcut
I went for... [In reply to] Can't Post

Theoden's speech & the Rohirrim charging into the Battle at Pelennor... goose bumps! Smile

~*Haudh-en-Ndengin the Elves named it, the Hill of Slain, and Haugh-en-Nirnaeth, the Hill of tears... the earth beneath which the swords of the Eldar and the Edain crumbled into rust*~

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.