The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
Is there any way to change

Aerin
Grey Havens

Feb 17 2007, 7:22pm

Post #1 of 14 (2049 views)
Shortcut
Is there any way to change Can't Post

the way messages display (other than changing my browser settings)? The text size is too small, and the lines are too long. And when I reduce the width of my browser window, I lose the ends of the lines (they don't rewrap to stay visible, beyond a certain point). The "text box" setting seems to apply only to the box in which I type a message, and I can't find how to fix the way messages display.

BG
Board Developer / Moderator

Feb 17 2007, 7:31pm

Post #2 of 14 (1781 views)
Shortcut
Re: Is there any way to change [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
the way messages display (other than changing my browser settings)? The text size is too small, and the lines are too long. And when I reduce the width of my browser window, I lose the ends of the lines (they don't rewrap to stay visible, beyond a certain point). The "text box" setting seems to apply only to the box in which I type a message, and I can't find how to fix the way messages display.

I'm afraid not. The text size looks OK to me and I'm using a reasonably high screen resolution.
As far as the browser width is concerned, the page is wrapping correctly when I resize my window.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else is having these problems?

Inferno
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 17 2007, 7:40pm

Post #3 of 14 (1735 views)
Shortcut

A screen shot or two might be helpful, Aerin.

Aerin
Grey Havens

Feb 17 2007, 7:44pm

Post #4 of 14 (1769 views)
Shortcut
The text size [In reply to] Can't Post

is fine in the box where I compose replies (the same size as on the old boards), but the text in posts displays smaller and by default extends the full width of the browser window. This means that to read the posts comfortably, I have to change my browser text size and resize the browser window, which is kind of a nuisance. On the old boards, I think I was able to control how the posts displayed through my profile.

Also, when I resize the browser window, the text rewraps, but only to a point; there's a threshold width beyond which it will not rewrap.

Aerin
Grey Havens

Feb 17 2007, 7:50pm

Post #5 of 14 (1750 views)
Shortcut

I could provide screenshots, but the files would be very large (2.5 MB each) (they would have to be full size to show what I'm talking about).

Inferno
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 17 2007, 7:52pm

Post #6 of 14 (1738 views)
Shortcut
You can [In reply to] Can't Post

Email them to me if you'd like. inferno@ tOR.N.

I don't know if there's anything I can do, but I can look.

GaladrielTX
Tol Eressea

Feb 17 2007, 8:46pm

Post #7 of 14 (1771 views)
Shortcut
I'm addicted to the old threaded format, [In reply to] Can't Post

but on old TORN, I could tell which posts I'd clicked on and which I hadn't. Links to new posts were black, and read posts were green. I don't see any color contrast here, though. All the items in the thread are blue. Is there any way to tell which posts I haven't read besides using the flat format?

~~~~~~~~

I'm not bad. I just post that way.

Altaira
Superuser

Feb 17 2007, 9:25pm

Post #8 of 14 (1714 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

I view the forums in threaded mode and read the threads in flat mode. When I view the threaded forum, the posts I haven't read are bold. You might try that. Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Aerin
Grey Havens

Feb 17 2007, 10:23pm

Post #9 of 14 (1721 views)
Shortcut
There is a color contrast, [In reply to] Can't Post

but it's too subtle. The subject lines of visited links (i.e., posts you've read) turn from blue to purple (for me, at least!), but the difference is too subtle to see at a glance.

It's possible to set a preference for the color of followed links in your browser (for instance, in Safari, this is specified this in a default style sheet under "advanced" preferences), but the site can override such preferences. I don't know if that's true here, because I haven't set up a style sheet. (I do intend to set a minimum type size in my browser, though, and see if that solves my other problem).

GaladrielTX
Tol Eressea

Feb 17 2007, 11:03pm

Post #10 of 14 (1719 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for that. Interesting: [In reply to] Can't Post

I have Internet Explorer, and I went into Tools, Internet, Options, Colors, and changed the defaults from blue and purple to blue and red. I don't see any difference in the colors of the links now. However, when I view everything (forums and posts) in threaded format now, the new posts are now labeled with the word "NEW" in red. I'm guessing Altaira or someone must have gone in and changed some setting somewhere.

I think I'm happy now.

~~~~~~~~

I used to be GaladrielTX, but then I had liposuction.

(This post was edited by Galadriel on Feb 17 2007, 11:05pm)

NottaSackville
Valinor

Feb 19 2007, 3:59pm

Post #11 of 14 (1691 views)
Shortcut
Re: Aerin - I wish for a greater contrast as well [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, there is a color contrast, but count me as among those who wish the contrast was a bit greater.

In Reply To
but it's too subtle. The subject lines of visited links (i.e., posts you've read) turn from blue to purple (for me, at least!), but the difference is too subtle to see at a glance.

It's possible to set a preference for the color of followed links in your browser (for instance, in Safari, this is specified this in a default style sheet under "advanced" preferences), but the site can override such preferences. I don't know if that's true here, because I haven't set up a style sheet. (I do intend to set a minimum type size in my browser, though, and see if that solves my other problem).

NottaSackville
Valinor

Feb 19 2007, 4:05pm

Post #12 of 14 (1694 views)
Shortcut
Re: Altaira - Bold vs Colored [In reply to] Can't Post

For me, messages become bold/unbold based on whether they were posted after the last time I logged in. If you tend to log in/out of the boards (not sure how that will work over time), then many threads that haven't been read become unbold. Thus, the color contrast becomes more important.

At least, I think that is what is happening - things are too new to fully understand just yet, and I might be totally messed up.

Notta

In Reply To
I view the forums in threaded mode and read the threads in flat mode. When I view the threaded forum, the posts I haven't read are bold. You might try that. Smile

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Feb 19 2007, 5:34pm

Post #13 of 14 (1703 views)
Shortcut
Yet another seeker of greater contrast [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Yes, there is a color contrast, but count me as among those who wish the contrast was a bit greater.

In Reply To

Also, links within messages need more contrast (ideally they should be underlined). They show up as links if you mouse over them, but otherwise you'd never know.

Queen Mary II approaching Honolulu harbor
February 9, 2007, 7:30 am

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

Advising Elf
Rohan

Feb 21 2007, 8:43pm

Post #14 of 14 (1886 views)
Shortcut
Add my vote for more contrast. [NT] [In reply to] Can't Post

"I haven't any right to criticise books, and I don't do it except when I hate them. I often want to criticise Jane Austen, but her books madden me so that I can't conceal my frenzy from the reader; and therefore I have to stop every time I begin. Everytime I read 'Pride and Prejudice' I want to dig her up and beat her over the skull with her own shin-bone." - Mark Twain

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.