Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Official Introduction & Welcome Thread
First page Previous page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 27 Next page Last page  View All

Winifred

Mar 7 2009, 11:46pm

Post #176 of 666 (171068 views)
Shortcut
Winifred, Winnie, Fred, Freddie - you decide. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello there!

My name's Winifred, nineteen and from Australia. I've been visiting TORn for some time now and finally decided to join the forums, and so therefore here I am!

Hope everyone's been well :)

(This post was edited by Winifred on Mar 7 2009, 11:47pm)

Nimloth
Lorien

Mar 8 2009, 2:35am

Post #177 of 666 (190428 views)
Shortcut
Welcome Winifred [In reply to] Can't Post

Nice to have another 'down under' member Wink. It will be a lively place as we head towards 'The Hobbit'.

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Mar 8 2009, 4:43am

Post #178 of 666 (190778 views)
Shortcut
Welcome! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hope you have fun here and we (me and my husband) love Australia Cool He even wants to move there Wink

Culinary journey through Middle Earth continues! Join us on the Main board!

I believe

BrambleroseBrandybuck
The Shire

May 13 2009, 1:21am

Post #179 of 666 (167471 views)
Shortcut
Bramblerose is back! [In reply to] Can't Post

I suppose this is more of a re-introduction. I was on the old message boards as a regular, between 2003-2005. After that, I became more of a lurker and posted less frequently. I found other interests, and eventually stopped visiting TORn all together.

But with the new Hobbit movies, my interest in Tolkien and LOTR has been rekindled. So, I rejoined TORn under my old username (even though I'm known as Wilwarin Andamar nearly everywhere else).

I'm glad to be back, and I hope to stick around a lot longer this time. ^^

Once a TORnsib, always a TORnsib.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 13 2009, 1:34am

Post #180 of 666 (168421 views)
Shortcut
Welcome back! [In reply to] Can't Post

We're always happy to have former members return to the boards.

If you haven't been here since 2005, you'll notice the message board format has changed rather drastically. The main thing you need to know is that you can view threads two ways: Flat or Threaded. In Flat mode, all posts are listed in the order they're posted. In order to reply, you need to click on the reply link of the particular message you're responding to. In Threaded mode, you'll see replies indented below the post they're responding to, just like on the old boards. You can choose your default on your profile settings page, and there's also a button at the top of each thread that will allow you to switch between views.

If you need any help figuring anything else out, there's lots of info in the Welcome section. Anything not answered there can be asked on Feedback or by PM to one of the Admins.

Again, welcome back and enjoy! Cool

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

Beetle
The Shire

Jun 17 2009, 2:00pm

Post #181 of 666 (168947 views)
Shortcut
Eh. Hi! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello... My name's Heather and I live in Edinburgh, in Scotland. I first read The Hobbit when I was still at primary school, loved it, and read The Lord Of The Rings around the time the films were coming out. Recently I finally got a nice copy of The Silmarillion and was practically inhaling it by the end :P

I've been reading TORN for a year or two, and evenually joined just now. It'll probably take me a while to get used to this place, it's very different to any other boards I've been on...

So yeah. Hi :D

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 17 2009, 3:34pm

Post #182 of 666 (165017 views)
Shortcut
They are a bit different, aren't they! [In reply to] Can't Post

These Boards are more "conversation-oriented". You've probably already found that it's best to view them in threaded mode.

Welcome to TORn, Beetle! You live in a magnificent old city! My eldest currently lives there, so I've had the pleasure of being given a walking-tour of it and climbing to Arthur's Seat. Did you grow up in that area?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Beetle
The Shire

Jun 17 2009, 6:06pm

Post #183 of 666 (172444 views)
Shortcut
Yep :P [In reply to] Can't Post

Lived here all my life, I'm really close to the Firth of Forth so I can see it from my street, it's great! I'm moving to Glasgow for uni in September, it'll be very different :P But I really love it here ^^

Suebe2b
Bree

Jul 10 2009, 4:26am

Post #184 of 666 (168170 views)
Shortcut
Hi, just found this thread [In reply to] Can't Post

I live in Washington state. We have lived in the same place in the shadow of Mt. Rainier for over 40 years. It is a beautiful mountain. We can't see it from our place, but anytime I'm out and about , it's there. We have 6 daughters, some nearby, some in other parts of this beautiful country. I've followed the boards for quite a time, but dial up was slow and gave me very limited time on the computer. I really enjoy catching up on the background of the books and movies.I am a total fan of the music.I am playing the tape of "The Hobbit" and reading the annotated while listening. It is great to hear Rob Inglis do the different voices. I have more hobbies then there are hours in the day. I love all of the earlier mountain climbing stories and Antarctic exploration books. I also have a large collection of classical,opera and soundtracks. I am looking forward to all the discussions on the books and movies. Just now getting into the reading room, I'm a little behind.Thank you all for being here and adding so much to this forum.

Curious
Half-elven

Jul 18 2009, 5:03am

Post #185 of 666 (167018 views)
Shortcut
Gee, I guess I never responded. Well, talk about belated. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm an attorney in Chicago. I have a wife who has no interest in Tolkien, and two daughters, 7 and 1, who have no interest in Tolkien yet. I spend most of my time in the Reading Room, although I visit the other forums from time to time (like now).

I first read LotR when I was nine, which I remember because I wrote a letter to Tolkien asking him where the Red Book is kept, and he signed a nice form letter telling me he didn't have time for questions. But it was his real signature and I have it on my wall today.

After that I re-read LotR every year through college, which was very unusual for me. Then, having pretty much memorized the book, I didn't read it straight through again until I joined these boards and took part in the second discussion of LotR in the Reading Room. Since then I've discussed it two more times, and I'll probably be there for the fifth discussion after we finish The Hobbit and The Silmarillion.

I also led a discussion of Beowulf which you can find in the Off Topic section.

I love it here, as you will see if you look up the number of my posts. Just look for me on that big comfy sofa in the back of the library.

(This post was edited by Curious on Jul 18 2009, 5:03am)

Elladan Calaelen
The Shire

Oct 26 2009, 12:58am

Post #186 of 666 (169424 views)
Shortcut
Mae govannen [In reply to] Can't Post

Mae govannen, mellons. I am Elladan Calaelen of the Galadhrim. I reside in Lothlorien, proudy serving my Lord Celeborn and Lady Galadriel alongside Haldir. I look forward to discussing everything Tolkien!

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 26 2009, 1:40am

Post #187 of 666 (174956 views)
Shortcut
Welcome Elladan! [In reply to] Can't Post

Pull up a chair and join the Tolkien party. :)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

aranelthehobbit22
Gondor

Dec 15 2009, 3:12am

Post #188 of 666 (168728 views)
Shortcut
Mae Govannen! [In reply to] Can't Post

Mae Govannen,
Aranel eneth nin.
*ahem*
excuse me, let me try again:
Hello!
My name is Ar-- Sarah
I will answer to Aranel and sometimes to Elanor.
I saw the movies about a year or so after ROTK came out and loved them but never really said much about them as I was about 10 or so and didn't think that 10 year old girls were suposed to like movies like The Lord of the Rings. Everytime I'd mention reading the books my mom would tell me that they were boys' books and that I'd find them boring. (She has not even made it through The Hobbit, though I have tried to make her do so on multiple occasions) so finally after my 14th b-day I read them and was obsessed, within two weeks I bought them.
Now my family is tired of hearing about LOTR and tired of seeing LOTR. Actually this school year (I'm homeschooled) I was able to do a complete Lord of the Rings literature course.

My interests (other than LOTR) include:
reading, writing, acting, making movies, and music.

this is all I can think of for now

~Namarie!

Altaira
Superuser

Dec 15 2009, 3:43am

Post #189 of 666 (180010 views)
Shortcut
Welcome, aranel [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure how or why the myth that LOTR is just for boys is still perpetuated, but more power to us girls who prove it wrong!

So glad you joined us here. Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 4 2010, 4:45am

Post #190 of 666 (166482 views)
Shortcut
oldie newbie [In reply to] Can't Post

(not me, I'm female, but this is what I do... see more at www.swordwhale.com) I first tripped over TORn just before the films came out. I've just rediscovered it, and whoooaaaa, it's grown. In 1977, a wild black mare was born on the high desert of eastern Oregon (I'd meet her, and she would train me, in 1985), another "wild black mare" was launched at Inner Harbor Baltimore (I'd sail on her sister, on Halloween of 2007), Star Wars hit the screen, and a fellow fan dumped a pile of reading material into my hands. "You must read this," she intoned. I stared at the stack of verbiage and paled. Lo!, in my copious free time, somewhere in the next millenium. The epic tome was J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings.

Somewhat later, I borrowed a tent from a second cousin twice removed, so I could spend a week on a desert island called Assateague (VA, USA). He told me about this game they played: D&D. I showed up, rolled up a character, waved the paper at the DM and said, "What do I make of this?"

"Play an Elf."

"What?" You mean like Hermie, in Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer?

"Read Lord of the Rings."

I did, in 1978. Thirty years, many fantasy illustrations, several "fanfics", essays and re-readings later, I'm still a fan of the original fantasy epic that spawned the rest (LOTR was born the same year I was).

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 4 2010, 5:06am

Post #191 of 666 (168134 views)
Shortcut
Tidewater VA [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It is so fun to see so many old newbies, new newbies, formerly-lurking oldies and newbies, new oldbies...someone should slap me before I keep this up much longer!!!

I'm Mary, in RL. My old nick on Torn was "an seileachan" because I was working out something in Gaelic at the time I registered, and it's the name of a pretty little wildflower, and so I registered and have regretted it ever since. But I got stuck with it, shortened it to a.s., and voila! here I am. I signed on right after the Oscars sweep for ROTK, thanks to a photo of PJ in People magazine where he was sporting a WEE LITTLE lapel button that said "The One Ring . Net". I couldn't resist checking it out, and have been glad ever since. It's my favorite spot on the net.

I'm a nurse with many years experience in maternal-child community health, the last decade or so in case management of children with special needs. However, I just got a new job! (yay, me!) and am going back to prenatal/birth to two to coordinate a program for moms at high risk of poor outcomes (poor, no access to health care, etc). I am also a wife and mom to three lovely daughters, ages 16, 20, and 25. I'm a former Navy wife who grew up in the Washington DC area but has lived in Tidewater Virginia for the last 20 years and loves it here! I am a very active community volunteer for various disability related groups, currently working on housing options and etc. I am very interested in bioethics and the ramifications of medical policies on marginal groups.

In my "spare time", I read. A lot. Please, if you aren't a regular, check out the weekly "What have you been reading this week?" thread in the Off Topic folder on Wednesdays! We have lots of readers here, and you will get great recommendations.

I also like bluegrass and "alt country/Americana" and traditional Irish music.

Whoa, this is way too long. So happy to be here. I can be found mostly in the RR. If you haven't been to the RR, please come by.

a.s. (no pictures, but I look just like my avatar...heh heh heh) Wink

I live in York County PA, and the Tidewater is one of my favorite places on earth, or water...

I grew up on horseback (the wild black mustang I adopted through the BLM's program got named Olori Eldalie, or Lor), but have since sailed across the Bay on several of the tidewater's historic tall ship reproductions; Sultana and Pride of Baltimore II, what an experience! I've also paddled the edges of the Bay in my sea kayak.
I've rediscovered TORn after a bit of an absence. Glad to see it's bigger and better than ever.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 4 2010, 5:18am

Post #192 of 666 (169483 views)
Shortcut
who else named their critters in Elvish??? Or Hobbitish? [In reply to] Can't Post

SPCA rescue cat: "Sindarin" (he's obviously a grey elf...)

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 4 2010, 6:01am

Post #193 of 666 (173238 views)
Shortcut
Welcome! [In reply to] Can't Post

.....or should I say welcome back? Smile You're just in time for the big Hobbit news start rolling in.

You may find some kindred spirits on the Fan Art board, but don't be shy about joining in on any conversation on any board.

You'll find the rules of the board here, for reference. Anything you want to know that you don't see in the Welcome section, you can ask on the Feedback board and someone knowledgeable will be sure to help you out. Otherwise, dive right in and join the party. We're always happy to have new voices in the mix!

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

Eryn
Bree

Jan 7 2010, 9:17am

Post #194 of 666 (171015 views)
Shortcut
Greetings! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi all... I've been lurking around this forum and this site for quite a while, and have decided to give in and join, even though this will probably mean that I spend more time on here than in the real world...
I ashamedly was only initiated into the world of LOTR exactly 2 years ago, but have swiftly become more and more obsessed- first it was just the films I was into... but then I discovered the rest of the Tolkien world, re-read the trilogy (I tried reading it when I was little, and became rather lost and bored (Blush)) and realised how amazing it was, and well, since then, the only new books I ever really want are ones about LOTR. I sometimes fantasise about doing a degree in Elvish, but unfortunately I don't see that happening Smile ... I have various friends who are also fans, but my level of obsession has rather outgrown theirs, and I need somewhere else to vent it! Cue praise for this amazing site, and me joining it!!
Look forward to meeting you all!!

Nimloth
Lorien

Jan 8 2010, 5:03am

Post #195 of 666 (175301 views)
Shortcut
Welcome Eryn [In reply to] Can't Post

Like you, in my real life world of close friends and family, I am the only LOTR/Tolkien fan who is still a fan. It's great to come here and read like minded peoples thoughts Cool. It will be a fun place full of speculation and rumours as we count down to The Hobbit Smile.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 20 2010, 3:39am

Post #196 of 666 (170852 views)
Shortcut
new fan [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile mae govannen!

This is one of the best forums of any subject on the web. Tolkien only published a very small amount during his lifetime, but there is enough there, and in the works his son has resurrected from notes, to last any fan a lifetime. I first read LOTR in 1978, and haven't got tired of it yet. It's the Classic That Spawned the Rest, so dive in and enjoy! There's always more to learn, to explore, and to spark your own creativity. Tolkien himself once made a comment (I think it's in the book of his letters) that he had created this worodl of Middle Earth, and it had enough room for other minds to come in and play, wielding pen or brush.

Or keyboard.

Go outside and play...

Night Phoenix
The Shire

Feb 14 2010, 7:32pm

Post #197 of 666 (169628 views)
Shortcut
newbie [In reply to] Can't Post

i suppose every new comer to Tolkien feels like, well, a new comer but considering I'm a long time fantasy buff, I shouldn't be a newcomer. :)

I actually only first read LOTR last summer, though in previous years over my life I attempted it, but found Tolkien too hard to handle. (or maybe I was just too slow of reader?) So I saw the movies before I ever read the books, though I was remotely familiar with the basic premise, and of course the Hobbit. I of course fell in love with the Trilogy, and decided, at the recommendation of a LOTR fanatic/friend of mine, just enjoyed the movies without trying to read the books first. After seeing the extended Edition of ROTK (but not FOTR or TT because the copies from the library were in bad shape and wouldn't play) I decided to give the books another go. I ended up reading the thing in just a few weeks (which is fast for me) and while it took me some time to adapt to the differences from the movies, I began to LOVE the details and the journey of just reading. Middle Earth became a much bigger world for me. After reading LOTR I had to read The Silmarillion, which I had almost no knowledge of and I loved it. Both of those books/stories have helped me greatly in my personal life; to keep pushing on and to not give up hope even in the face of despair. Tolkien some how touches on a nerve deep within the human race I believe in this respect. And this emotional/spiritual aspect of LOTR has made a deep impression upon me. In fact I just finished the movie Trilogy again last night, and I still inwardly cheer at the climax within Mount Doom when the Ring is destroyed. Now I'm going to buy my first copy of the books this week, and will be re-reading it pronto. :)

Anyways I can't wait to begin to post here and get to know so much more about Middle Earth as obviously I'm a newbie in most respects. This looks like a great site and I hope I can contribute and for the most part learn from everyone here.

Nimloth
Lorien

Feb 15 2010, 2:58am

Post #198 of 666 (172003 views)
Shortcut
Welcome Night Phoenix [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw FOTR before I read the books and was blown away! I couldn't wait another year for TTT so went out and bought the books to see what happened next.Like you, I got caught up in the details of the book that brought Middle Earth to life and changed me fundamentally. I've been a fan ever since and always will be. It's just part of my life these days and I love it. This site has so many knowledgeable people in all aspects of Tolkien and the movies. I'm always amazed and in awe when I read here. You'll love it. Smile

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Feb 15 2010, 9:06pm

Post #199 of 666 (168301 views)
Shortcut
film to book... [In reply to] Can't Post

Which is why I love movies. I grew up on books, and would encourage any kid to read read read. But I have noticed a number of YA fantasies turned into film lately... which should encourage kids to pick up a book. I suspect the LOTR films encouraged a lot of people who were, like me, intimidated by the terrifying pile of verbiage that is LOTR. (I actually read the books after having seen the semi-awful Bakshi film; it didn't destroy my ultimate love of and immersion in Middle Earth). Some of my favorite bits in the books were left out, (book and film are two very different media, requiring a different approach to storytelling), so it's wonderful to see someone falling in love with the film, then discovering the different wonders of the books.

PS: here in Pennsylvania (east coast US) we look like scenic Mt. Caradhras...

Go outside and play...

OrnawenRana
The Shire

Feb 17 2010, 12:33pm

Post #200 of 666 (168825 views)
Shortcut
Quiet Girl in the Corner [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey everyone, I'm Biz (Elizabeth.) I am very new on here, so I may be slow to start at first, but I hope to have a lot of fun on here! Everyone seems so friendly.
I'm from Western NY and I am currently at school at the University of Vermont. I will be building on my profile information as the day goes on (after I finish my essay on Strider/Aragorn, Tolkien's Middle Earth English course. Epic win!) I'm a History major, Theatre minor and other interests besides Tolkien include traveling, singing, hiking, random facts, reading, music, etc. so on and so forth. Nice to meet everyone!
~Ornawen Rana~

First page Previous page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 27 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.