Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
2010 Winter Olympics -- Vancouver, British-Columbia
Poll: 2010 Winter Olympics -- Vancouver, British-Columbia
Skiing (Alpine, Biathlon, Cross-Country, Freestyle, Nordic Combined, Ski Jumping)
Snowboarding
Hockey
Skating (Figure, Short Track, Speed)
Bobsleigh/Luge/Skeleton
Curling
Won't be watching/Don't care
View Results (100 votes)

Rivendell

Feb 12 2010, 8:28am

Post #1 of 25 (2046 views)
Shortcut
2010 Winter Olympics -- Vancouver, British-Columbia Can't Post

Do you plan on watching any of the events at the Vancouver/Whistler Games?

I will only be watching the hockey games and will try to catch the daily highlights on one of the sports networks, for all the other sports(except CurlingCrazy--Curling in my house is like the Black Speech in Imladris). I'm sure the ratings will be pretty good considering most of these sports are so dangerous and potentially lethal...even a sport like figure skating produces crashes and falls that are very disturbing to watch. Youtube has a few clips that can make you wonder why anyone would do these things, but hey, to each his own.....

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Feb 12 2010, 12:51pm

Post #2 of 25 (1717 views)
Shortcut
Being Canadian ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I too will likely be watching Hockey the most, that is if I watch any of it. I'm not at all that crazy about the Olympics, but I do make the effort to catch some of it when I can.

macfalk
Valinor

Feb 12 2010, 1:40pm

Post #3 of 25 (1681 views)
Shortcut
biathlon, cross-country,downhill, icehockey [In reply to] Can't Post

since that are where the most medals will come for sweden (probably)

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Feb 12 2010, 1:47pm

Post #4 of 25 (1697 views)
Shortcut
We usually don't make it a point to watch anything. [In reply to] Can't Post

But if nothing else is on, or if we don't have a movie to watch, we'll watch whatever is on the Olympics. I do enjoy figure skating, though, as well as snowboarding and skiing. But we don't schedule ourselves around it.

Darkstone
Immortal

Feb 12 2010, 2:30pm

Post #5 of 25 (1677 views)
Shortcut
I'm hoping Jamaica will make it in. [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the Women's Figure Skating (I'll be rooting for Kim Yu-Na.) The Alpine skiing especially the Super G. (I'll be rooting for Lindsey Vonn.) Ski jumping of course. And I've always liked to watch curling from when I was 6 or 7. It's just such a unique sport. And bobsledding, especially if any equatorial/Caribbean nations are involved. (Since Jamaica didn't make it this year I'll be rooting for Astrid Loch-Wilkinson and Cecilia McIntosh. BTW, Jamaica could still make it in if another team drops out.)

Donry
Tol Eressea

Feb 12 2010, 2:48pm

Post #6 of 25 (1695 views)
Shortcut
All of it.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I have no choice, I work in sports tv, and we're airing the Olympics......I'd be watching as much as I could anyway, I'm a sports fan. I could do without the figure skating though. Really not a fan of if. Everything else in the winter olympics I find are great to watch.

FantasyFan
Rohan

Feb 12 2010, 3:55pm

Post #7 of 25 (1667 views)
Shortcut
I'd like to catch the hockey [In reply to] Can't Post

Since I don't have cable, I'm fairly hockey-deprived until the playoffs start, and I'll catch what I can. I kind of like watching figure skating, but the new judging system makes it less interesting in my opinion. The rest of it, well, I'm not too fond of snow and cold in general, so I've never participated in winter sports, and I don't have a lot of interest.

macfalk
Valinor

Feb 12 2010, 4:11pm

Post #8 of 25 (1659 views)
Shortcut
Olympics a nightmare for us europeans... [In reply to] Can't Post

since most of the good stuff will take place in the middle of the night for us Unsure like the opening today... 3 AM! sigh...

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Feb 12 2010, 4:18pm

Post #9 of 25 (1625 views)
Shortcut
I'll watch whatever event is on when I turn on the TV [In reply to] Can't Post

I enjoy watching the Olympics, but I don't make a point to watch a specific event.
I just whichever event happens to be on at the time, but probably not hockey, I'm not that in to hockey

silneldor
Half-elven

Feb 12 2010, 5:07pm

Post #10 of 25 (1643 views)
Shortcut
This is a wonderful event. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll watch whatever i have time for. I will pull for our athletes but will celebrate the joys of all the athletes and their well earned accomplishments (medaling or not) through their dedication to excellence.

I do have one peev and that is that they will not allow women to ski jump. What a bunch of flimsy excuses. I wonder if it has anything to do with it being, a woman holds the record for the longest jump.

Patty
Immortal

Feb 12 2010, 5:18pm

Post #11 of 25 (1705 views)
Shortcut
Opening ceremonies only... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've gotta see how they stack up after China's mind-blowing show. But I'm not much for sports.

Eldy
Tol Eressea

Feb 12 2010, 6:56pm

Post #12 of 25 (1669 views)
Shortcut
Speed skating is the only one I'll go out of my way to see // [In reply to] Can't Post

Rivendell

Feb 12 2010, 7:56pm

Post #13 of 25 (1676 views)
Shortcut
?? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I'll watch whatever i have time for. I will pull for our athletes but will celebrate the joys of all the athletes and their well earned accomplishments (medaling or not) through their dedication to excellence.

I do have one peev and that is that they will not allow women to ski jump. What a bunch of flimsy excuses. I wonder if it has anything to do with it being, a woman holds the record for the longest jump.

I didn't know that. That's really stupid. If there are enough competitors, all sports should have male and female competitions.

Hengist
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 13 2010, 10:14pm

Post #14 of 25 (1714 views)
Shortcut
I'll watch what I can [In reply to] Can't Post

if I have the time - and personally I think curling is great.

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Feb 15 2010, 8:41pm

Post #15 of 25 (1597 views)
Shortcut
Utterly amazing physical feats, but ... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's now at the point where the pressure on athletes to surpass their previous performances, push the bounds of their sports, and provide an impressive spectacle for the viewers and fans is leading to injury and death.

Olympic athletes are extraordinarily skilled and talented. But they're human beings competing in sports where even minor mistakes are dangerous. Something's gotta give.

RosieLass
Valinor

Feb 15 2010, 9:45pm

Post #16 of 25 (1558 views)
Shortcut
I probably won't watch much. [In reply to] Can't Post

But the part that interests me the most is the hockey.

weathertop
Rohan

Feb 15 2010, 10:10pm

Post #17 of 25 (1573 views)
Shortcut
As much as I can [In reply to] Can't Post

i'm a HUUUUUGE olympics fan. used to be in school it would be the one time that my parents would cater to me so i wouldn't miss anything. and now in the day of the DVR i can get thru twice as much in the same amount of time. tho i do tend to fast forward thru some of the more boring interview bits...i mean how many times can we seriously sit and talk about someone's bruised shin?

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Feb 16 2010, 12:12am)

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Feb 15 2010, 10:17pm

Post #18 of 25 (1555 views)
Shortcut
I'm watching way more than I should [In reply to] Can't Post

which doesn't help me get my homework done in anywhere near a timely manner
It's just so hopelessly addicting to watch, and it doesn't even matter what event it it.
unfortuately being four hours away from my parents doesn't exactly mesh well with the catering idea Tongue

silneldor
Half-elven

Feb 16 2010, 3:14am

Post #19 of 25 (1559 views)
Shortcut
These athletes love what they do, [In reply to] Can't Post

and it is a joy seeing them all following their bliss. And i DO believe that the Olympics bring people worldwide together more than any other international event. It began for me seeing the beaming, bright-eyed faces during the opening ceremonies knowing they are participating in something very special, very grand. I can see it with the friendships and the camaraderie. And it is also for me to see each athlete's will and determination for perfection reaching for their personal best.

Zmulady
Rohan

Feb 16 2010, 3:48am

Post #20 of 25 (1604 views)
Shortcut
For sure, as much as I can. [In reply to] Can't Post

Minnesota has 21 athletes there, so I'll be watching for them, but I think the ice dancing and pairs figure skating is my favorite. Some of the things these athletes can do is just incredible.

GaladrielTX
Tol Eressea

Feb 16 2010, 6:55pm

Post #21 of 25 (1545 views)
Shortcut
All of it. [In reply to] Can't Post

At least, everything broadcast in prime time and on the weekends. I’m a big fan of the Olympics. My favorite is men’s figure skating, though. They're so powerful!

OrnawenRana
The Shire

Feb 19 2010, 2:17am

Post #22 of 25 (1536 views)
Shortcut
So hard to choose!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I picked Skiing, but I really like watching about everything on there. Sean White's run last night was very fun to watch and I got into yelling at the TV during short track speed skating. Women's Biathlon was fun to watch during lunch today, though I think they should have to do a round using bows instead of rifles. Thank you to Canada for hosting this year! haha

silneldor
Half-elven

Mar 1 2010, 3:43am

Post #23 of 25 (1556 views)
Shortcut
THANK YOU Canada! [In reply to] Can't Post

It was a wonderful time with you as our host for the olympics with very fine front to back ceremonies too. You are also the greatest neighbors. May your maple leaves forever be red and gold.
CHEERS!

Rivendell

Mar 1 2010, 5:44am

Post #24 of 25 (1581 views)
Shortcut
The mountains of BC [In reply to] Can't Post

were my favorite part. Once upon a time I live in the northern part of the province and I went on an extensive helicopter tour of the wolverine range, for free, and loved seeing the scenery of BC again.

I ended up watching pretty much all the events and really enjoyed the Gold medal Hockey game...

macfalk
Valinor

Mar 1 2010, 9:12am

Post #25 of 25 (2513 views)
Shortcut
watched a lot [In reply to] Can't Post

I watched a lot... mostly cross-country skiing and hockey. There were a lot of cases where the host messed up totally, but that happens everytime.

I have to admit though, I was cheering for USA in the hockey final... just to see the reaction from the crowd if USA would have scored in overtime Cool

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.