The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Yay, I made it to Bree!

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Feb 20 2007, 10:19pm

Post #1 of 17 (1745 views)
Shortcut
Yay, I made it to Bree! Can't Post

I'm a little slow and a little late: looks like a lot of you made it before me.

(Now if only I could do so well on my "Walk to Rivendell", where I'm eating a frugal supper in a birch grove outside Hobbiton. I started that walk on Feb 8, and haven't made nearly the progress I have on these boards. )

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
Chance Meeting at Rivendell: a Tolkien Fanfic
and some other stuff I wrote...
leleni at hotmail dot com

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 20 2007, 11:40pm

Post #2 of 17 (1583 views)
Shortcut
*heee* [In reply to] Can't Post

That's a neat challenge: To walk in real-life distance to the places you post at on TORN. :)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

FingonOfPittsburgh
Lorien

Feb 21 2007, 2:30am

Post #3 of 17 (1574 views)
Shortcut
re [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I'm a little slow and a little late: looks like a lot of you made it before me.

(Now if only I could do so well on my "Walk to Rivendell", where I'm eating a frugal supper in a birch grove outside Hobbiton. I started that walk on Feb 8, and haven't made nearly the progress I have on these boards. )

Welcome! I'm afraid I won't be around here much longer - on my way to Rivendell and all. Laugh

Out of the darkness of my life, so much frustrated, I put before you the one great thing to love on earth: the Blessed Sacrament... There you will find romance, glory, honour, fidelity, and the true way of all your loves on earth, and more than that: Death: by the divine paradox, that which ends life, and demands the surrender of all, and yet by the taste (or foretaste) of which alone can what you seek in your earthly relationships (love, faithfulness, joy) be maintained, or take on that complexion of reality, of eternal endurance, which every man's heart desires.

--J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter #43, to his son Michael

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Feb 21 2007, 2:37am

Post #4 of 17 (1575 views)
Shortcut
*checks* [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm still in the Shire. But on the Walk to Rivendell, I'm starting to pick up the pace again. (Actually, I reached Rivendell by the end of 2006, so now I'm on my way to Lothlorien).

Nice avatar, btw!

Where's Frodo?

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Feb 21 2007, 5:52am

Post #5 of 17 (1552 views)
Shortcut
Isn't Bree nice? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm afraid I won't be able to post much, once I take a small detour to China, but I hope to make my way to Rivendell soon. Bree's getting old and those hobbits and that Strider guy are going! *g*

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Penthe
Gondor

Feb 21 2007, 7:18am

Post #6 of 17 (1554 views)
Shortcut
I'm off to the bizarre and exotic land of Registered User. [In reply to] Can't Post

Although that sounds more like something from The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe than from LOTR.

Incidentally, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe suddenly just occurred to me as a very strange name for a book. Funny, eh? Hopefully once my journey actually begins I'll have no time to think of such trivial items.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 21 2007, 11:06am

Post #7 of 17 (1539 views)
Shortcut
Whoa... that's so cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm still trampsing about The Shire... which is way okay with me. The big wide world out there doesn't entice me at all!!! ;)

What a great idea to have the mileage kept in terms of location. There's so much to discover in this new home... I'm still trying to find my feet! *looks down* Are those mine?

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

GaladrielTX
Tol Eressea

Feb 21 2007, 2:42pm

Post #8 of 17 (1555 views)
Shortcut
Another strange title: [In reply to] Can't Post

You reminded me of a book I read as a child called Jennifer, Hecate, Macbeth, William McKinley, and Me, Elizabeth.

~~~~~~~~

I used to be GaladrielTX, but then TX seceded.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 21 2007, 3:23pm

Post #9 of 17 (1534 views)
Shortcut
*rechecks* ummm... apparently I arrived during the night [In reply to] Can't Post

in the rain, my cloak drenched, making my way through the muddy streets, dodging giants and horses and burping residents.

sample sample

FingonOfPittsburgh
Lorien

Feb 21 2007, 3:30pm

Post #10 of 17 (1516 views)
Shortcut

No dancing on the table at the Pony! Tongue

Out of the darkness of my life, so much frustrated, I put before you the one great thing to love on earth: the Blessed Sacrament... There you will find romance, glory, honour, fidelity, and the true way of all your loves on earth, and more than that: Death: by the divine paradox, that which ends life, and demands the surrender of all, and yet by the taste (or foretaste) of which alone can what you seek in your earthly relationships (love, faithfulness, joy) be maintained, or take on that complexion of reality, of eternal endurance, which every man's heart desires.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Feb 21 2007, 5:02pm

Post #11 of 17 (1528 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! *surprised and pleased* [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Nice avatar, btw!

\

Thanks! It's my abistation portrait. <a href = "http://www.abi-station.com/english/">abistation</a>

I'm curious whether you think it's a good likeness: you can see the real me in my profile. I thought the abistation site was so cool. The background I chose looks like one of my favorite places in Rocky Mountain National Park.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
Chance Meeting at Rivendell: a Tolkien Fanfic
and some other stuff I wrote...
leleni at hotmail dot com

elvenhobbit
Rohan

Feb 21 2007, 5:15pm

Post #12 of 17 (1526 views)
Shortcut
well done....I'm still in the Shire [In reply to] Can't Post

Elven by name, Hobbit by nature

'Road lead ever on and on
down from the door where it began
now far ahead the road has gone
down from where all began' -FOTR-

and through all the world has changed
the ages come and go with time
and yet those remain unchanged
unto they journey westward
over the sea...

Ciars
Rohan

Feb 21 2007, 7:33pm

Post #13 of 17 (1520 views)
Shortcut
looks up the road, [In reply to] Can't Post

there you are, you're well ahead of me,, Congrats!!!!

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 21 2007, 8:02pm

Post #14 of 17 (1522 views)
Shortcut
Only at McFinn's in Hollywood ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

sample sample

Patty
Immortal

Feb 21 2007, 9:14pm

Post #15 of 17 (1520 views)
Shortcut
I know that's right! I'll be before Fiesta, I reckon. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To

Welcome! I'm afraid I won't be around here much longer - on my way to Rivendell and all. Laugh

Lord Peter Wimsey's Main Squeeze

FingonOfPittsburgh
Lorien

Feb 22 2007, 3:16am

Post #16 of 17 (1488 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Looks like you're way ahead of schedule, dear Patty. Now it's off to Lorien!

Alnilam
Rivendell

Feb 22 2007, 3:20am

Post #17 of 17 (1538 views)
Shortcut
You guys are nuts. :-P [In reply to] Can't Post

Enjoy the scenery for a bit, will you? Tongue

Alnilam's Realm
From the Old TORN Boards: Top 5 Browsers/OSs:
1. Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98 (1568)
2. Microsoft Internet Explorer V6.0 using Windows 98 (890)
3. Microsoft Internet Explorer V6.0 using Windows 98 (464)
4. Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98 (175)
5. Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98 (136)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.