The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: The Arena:
hey all

the artist formerly known as sparki
Bree

May 15 2007, 8:26pm

Post #1 of 6 (4089 views)
Shortcut
hey all Can't Post

You may not recognise me, but I was a user called sparki on the old boards- but for some reason (change of email address) I can't get onto my old username etc.

So here I am.

Long time no see people!

So... the battle is one of disappearances. Of all the famous scenes where a character vanishes for a while in LOTR (e.g. when Aragorn goes over the cliff in TTT), which is the best and why?

My own is whenever Tom Bombadil leaves the plot. Anywhere. Just getting rid of him.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 16 2007, 5:44am

Post #2 of 6 (1212 views)
Shortcut
It has to be the Balrog. [In reply to] Can't Post

Not only is it the most flamboyant disappearance - in flames, into a deep abyss, reappearing only to die - but it's the one that's caused the most controversy among fans (wings? no wings?).

BTW if you want to check up on why your original nick had problems, talk with Altaira (either PM her or post on Feedback). Because she's a SuperUser, she can look into the cause of the glitch.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Darkstone
Immortal

May 16 2007, 4:38pm

Post #3 of 6 (1203 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, Balrog [In reply to] Can't Post

From "Barely Started Tales":

“Did you say 'You Shall Not Pass' or 'You Shall Not Sass'?" asked the Balrog.

"I said 'You Shall Not Pass'," replied Gandalf; "and I wish you wouldn't keep appearing and vanishing so suddenly: you make one quite giddy."

"All right,” said the Balrog; and this time it vanished quite slowly, beginning with the tip of its wings, and ending with its whip, which remained for some time after the rest of it had gone.

"Well! I've often seen wings without a Balrog," thought Gandalf; "but a Balrog without wings! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in my life!"

-BS Tales, p. 27

All is not gold that glitters,
All is not pure that shines.
Follow your mother's teachings
And happiness will be thine!
-Bugs Bunny, "Bowery Bugs", 1949.

(This post was edited by Darkstone on May 16 2007, 4:41pm)

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

May 16 2007, 9:19pm

Post #4 of 6 (1186 views)
Shortcut
The Nazgul [In reply to] Can't Post

They pop up in the Shire, chase the Hobbits around for a while, then vanish.

They attack the inn at Bree, then vanish.

They pop up in Bree again, scare the snot out of the villagers, then vanish.

They attack the Hobbits at Weathertop, then vanish.

They show up at the Ford of Bruinen where the Witch King hisses menacingly at Frodo, but they all are swept away in a magical flood and vanish.

Later on we occasionally hear them screaming and see them flying around, but they vanish again without doing much besides scaring everyone.

The Witch King puts in appearances at Minas Morgul and the Pelennor Fields. He shows up at the gate of Minas Tirith, then vanishes. He pops up later on the battlefield, is vanquished by Eowyn and Merry, then vanishes.

A Nazgul swoops in for a visit when Frodo and Sam flee Cirith Ungol, then vanishes.

The surviving Nazgul put in one last appearance after the Ring is destroyed before they vanish forever.

With caffeine, all things are possible.

The pity of Bilbo will screw up the fate of many.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Farawyn
Rohan

May 17 2007, 1:22pm

Post #5 of 6 (1342 views)
Shortcut
When the "Eye" is done in. [In reply to] Can't Post

This is in the movie, right?

WB, sparks!

"I have a perfect horror of words that are not backed up by deeds."
- Theodore Roosevelt, Oyster Bay, NY, July 7, 1915
Disclaimer: The author of this message does not guarantee correct grammar, spelling or English usage. No responsibility can be accepted for the use of this message as a guide to written English.

Dagonet
Lorien

Sep 14 2007, 10:56pm

Post #6 of 6 (3509 views)
Shortcut
Nazgul or Balrog? [In reply to] Can't Post

It would have to be the Balrog the way it just goes down... sooo cool.Wink

Dagonet,
Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shdows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.