Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Why we cannot believe anything that doesn't come straight from Guillermo.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Jan 28 2010, 2:59pm

Post #1 of 46 (3143 views)
Shortcut
Why we cannot believe anything that doesn't come straight from Guillermo. Can't Post

Peter Jacksonfs eThe Hobbitf ewonft be filmed until 2012Œ January 27th, 2010 - 4:50 pm ICT by ANI

Melbourne, Jan 27 (ANI): New Zealand film director Peter Jacksonfs plan to start filming on his eLord Of The Ringsf prequel eThe Hobbitf has stalled again.

According to Variety, the movie is being held back by backers, and it will not be filmed until 2012, reports the Daily Telegraph.

The script for the highly anticipated epic is still far from ready, as it is being developed in two parts.

Meanwhile, Aussie actress Cate Blanchett, 40, is expected to reprise her role as Galadriel, the elf queen. (ANI)

More at : Peter Jacksonfs eThe Hobbitf ewonft be filmed until 2012Œ http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/entertainment/peter-jacksons-the-hobbit-wont-be-filmed-until-2012_100310427.html#ixzz0dv38fNyB Just a nice example of how we cannot believe anything that doesn't come from Guillermo's mouth. Crazy These people are just posting whatever comes to their minds.

Here's to Del Toro becoming the Irvin Kershner of Middle Earth!

Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

Eldy
Gondor

Jan 28 2010, 3:04pm

Post #2 of 46 (2743 views)
Shortcut
WTF? [In reply to] Can't Post

One script confirmed done, another possibly done (were over a month past the projected finish date) equates to "far from ready"?

I'm with you Compa; this is a different kind of garbage. Mad

macfalk
Valinor

Jan 28 2010, 3:24pm

Post #3 of 46 (2675 views)
Shortcut
wtf? [In reply to] Can't Post

this is too hilarious to be true.

almas_sparks
Rohan

Jan 28 2010, 3:30pm

Post #4 of 46 (2693 views)
Shortcut
Studio exec spoke of the delay [In reply to] Can't Post

Alan Horn or something. So it should be accurate because this guy is involved in the production. And Variety is a reliable source.

The Hobbit`s scheduling problems stem from New Line transformation into Warner Bros and the MGM buy-off. Nothing to do with the script but who has the rights to make the movie. Or something. Nobody wants to start the production before they are clear who has the rights to what. They don`t want another watchmen fiasco (WB made a movie, Fox sued them claiming Fox has the rights to the property and thus the movie belongs to them).

macfalk
Valinor

Jan 28 2010, 3:36pm

Post #5 of 46 (2655 views)
Shortcut
yeah but, [In reply to] Can't Post

pushing the premiere of the film one year back is one thing - pushing the entire filming back 2 years is something else!!! i will not believe this.

if this is true, hope is lost for me. but i will not believe this.

I mean - some weeks ago PJ said that there wont be any major announcements for a few months but it's on the way, and now the entire thing is pushed back 2 years? doesnt make sense

(This post was edited by macfalk on Jan 28 2010, 3:38pm)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jan 28 2010, 4:00pm

Post #6 of 46 (2650 views)
Shortcut
Believe it? [In reply to] Can't Post

Can barely read it!

Should the first line be read as: Peter Jackson's The Hobbit won't be filmed until 2012, January 27th at 4:50 pm?

I've heard of over planning something but this is ridiculous.Laugh

In all seriousness though, Variety has been the source for movie industry news since the days of Adam and Eve. What they print is either reliable or is made to be by the force of their place in the film world.Wink

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Jan 28 2010, 4:01pm)

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 28 2010, 4:32pm

Post #7 of 46 (2682 views)
Shortcut
Recycling the Variety story [In reply to] Can't Post

We've received lots of links to stories from other sources that are basically re-hashing the same Variety story we posted days ago. Like almas said, Variety is a good source - the best; all the spin-off stories aren't necessarily. I've seen many 'interpretations' about what the 2012 comment meant. All we can do is wait until it becomes official, and we'll either find that out from the studio, PJ or GDT.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Jan 28 2010, 4:38pm

Post #8 of 46 (2622 views)
Shortcut
I totally agree... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't doubt Variety... I thought this particular note was an extreme example of how things get distorted by second and third hand journalism. Clearly the guy didn't read the original story, was told something and wrote "something" about 2012... only he mixed release with beginning of principal photography.

Last time I checked they were different things. Tongue

I believe the weird characters were a pasting error, sorry.

Here's to Del Toro becoming the Irvin Kershner of Middle Earth!

Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

macfalk
Valinor

Jan 28 2010, 4:49pm

Post #9 of 46 (2587 views)
Shortcut
the variety story [In reply to] Can't Post

never heard of it,gonna search for it.

nearly got a heart-attack when i read this (not joking)

Arawen Tinuviel
The Shire

Jan 28 2010, 4:53pm

Post #10 of 46 (2638 views)
Shortcut
Reading the Original Source is a 'must' ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

This is are quote from the original Variety article that is well worth a reading :)

New Line's "LOTR" financing scheme, in which foreign presales provided much of the budget for the trilogy, is not how "Hobbit" is being bankrolled. Instead, New Line shares financing rights with MGM/UA, which bought the original rights in 1969; the complication this time around is that the Lion could conceivably sell those rights as part of MGM's restructuring.

Once the script for the second film is in -- Jackson and his longtime collaborators Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens are working on it with Del Toro -- New Line will work up a budget for both films and start casting. New Line exec Michael Disco, who was once Emmerich's assistant, will oversee for the studio.
Horn won't predict when the first of the two "Hobbit" films will be out, but says the most probable scenario would be a release in the fourth quarter of 2012."It's a big bet for us. But it's one we think will pay off given the success of 'Lord of the Rings,'" says Emmerich. "This is one of the few movies it feels like people are waiting for."

2012 is for now a 'probable' date for release and not filming so we can assume filming could start at any point between now and 2011. Yes I know, a 2012 release would be a full year after the original date that was announced but the delay is apparently due to the way The Hobbit is going to be financed :)

Once Upon A Hobbit

macfalk
Valinor

Jan 28 2010, 4:53pm

Post #11 of 46 (2615 views)
Shortcut
quite a leap between changing the premiere date and the princ. photography date! [In reply to] Can't Post

macfalk
Valinor

Jan 28 2010, 4:56pm

Post #12 of 46 (2579 views)
Shortcut
ah, that article! [In reply to] Can't Post

ah yes of course, thought it was an entire new variety article about principal photography beeing pushed back 2 years. thanks for the link anyway ^^

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jan 28 2010, 5:15pm

Post #13 of 46 (2569 views)
Shortcut
Technically, a 2012 release would be a full two years after the *original* release date. [In reply to] Can't Post

Since the very earliest articles and reports when GDT was first announced expected a 2010 release.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive
The Screencap of the Day Schedule for January

Larewen
Lorien

Jan 28 2010, 5:26pm

Post #14 of 46 (2599 views)
Shortcut
Let's go back to that one [In reply to] Can't Post

I would perfer it, LOL

(This post was edited by Larewen on Jan 28 2010, 5:26pm)

Arawen Tinuviel
The Shire

Jan 28 2010, 5:27pm

Post #15 of 46 (2592 views)
Shortcut
True but... :) [In reply to] Can't Post

True 2010 was the first 'original' probable release date however I think we all knew at the end of 2009 that a 2010 release was not going to happen simply because pre-production had just started, casting is at the early stages , the second scrip was still worked on and filming had somehow slipped back into 2010 :) Many were then expecting release for 2011 , maybe....just maybe ( if we believe Variety) the all project has been moved forward again...I guess its all wait and see, things can change :)

Once Upon A Hobbit

Larewen
Lorien

Jan 28 2010, 5:27pm

Post #16 of 46 (2593 views)
Shortcut
You couldn't just let me daydream for a while? [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

macfalk
Valinor

Jan 28 2010, 5:51pm

Post #17 of 46 (2547 views)
Shortcut
the best case scenario would be... [In reply to] Can't Post

that this article is a very bad interpretation of the variety article. please let it be so!

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jan 28 2010, 6:03pm

Post #18 of 46 (2545 views)
Shortcut
True [In reply to] Can't Post

In fact, but May of 2008, at the time of the live chat with PJ and GDT, we all knew that 2010 wasn't going to happen. I just think that if we're going to talk about an article that gets the facts so blatantly wrong, I want to make sure my own are accurate.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive
The Screencap of the Day Schedule for January

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 28 2010, 10:54pm

Post #19 of 46 (2537 views)
Shortcut
I saw one article [In reply to] Can't Post

...that 'interpreted' it to mean both films would be opening in 2012. Crazy

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jan 28 2010, 11:18pm

Post #20 of 46 (2617 views)
Shortcut
That thought crossed my mind but I need to hear it from the Horse [In reply to] Can't Post

or maybe I should say "The Bull".

Kangi Ska

At night one cannot tell if crows are black or white.

Guillermo
Rivendell

Jan 29 2010, 12:52am

Post #21 of 46 (4078 views)
Shortcut
Thank you all- [In reply to] Can't Post

Specially you, Compa. Such moving thread name...

Going into my SECOND year in this project (I moved to NZ so long ago...) i must say that my calendar has also been adjusted. Since DEVIL'S BACKBONE I have made it a point to come out with a film every 2 years. TH is already an exception.

But news- all news-, from everyone, ever- are shifting until we get the green light. In this project we have seen- so far- the negotiations for a settlement, the change of guard at a studio (NL) and the decline and tribulations of another (MGM) these are no small factors and then you must add many, many other complications concurrent with the project and everybody's calendars and deals, etc

Monumental even before we shoot a single frame.

As the greenlight approaches, PJ and I will be on the spotlight at different times with different things (DBAOD, THE FALL book, etc) at different events (Conventions, festivals, promotions, etc) and news will be demanded about TH. And our versions and claims may change and shift simply because of the unique nature of this project. No one does it intentionally or because of misinformation.

Much is happening and much more will occur before production starts. We've made an effort to keep the project from becoming inert. I read so much speculation on the net (Bilbo being a CG character, the film being 3D, David Tennant as Bilbo) and meanwhile our lives over here are also quite interesting and busy. I would love to share much, but then wild surges occur and deadlines are bypassed.

Suffice to say, we are all progressing strongly and, as a director, my own vision for the movie (both parts) gets stronger every day. At this stage I have seen it in my head and I am full of unholy fire. I dream of it. Every single night.

I would love to "transcript" it soon- immediately- so we can all watch it together. Alas, the "transcript" is the thing, to poorly paraphrase the Bard.

Best

GDT

(This post was edited by Guillermo on Jan 29 2010, 12:59am)

duats
Grey Havens

Jan 29 2010, 1:15am

Post #22 of 46 (2595 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the update, Mr. Del Toro [In reply to] Can't Post

I must say I'm a little confused by the phrase "change of guard." Any posters want to fill me in on what that means?

Tiria
Bree

Jan 29 2010, 1:45am

Post #23 of 46 (2541 views)
Shortcut
New Line has had some management changes lately// [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jan 29 2010, 1:59am

Post #24 of 46 (2543 views)
Shortcut
"Full of unholy fire" [In reply to] Can't Post

I love it. Thanks for coming out to play. I will be very happy when you have something firm for us as I am sure you will be also. Thanks again. My heart and spirit are with you and company.

Kangi Ska

At night one cannot tell if crows are black or white.

Guillermo
Rivendell

Jan 29 2010, 2:34am

Post #25 of 46 (3031 views)
Shortcut
Indeed- [In reply to] Can't Post

Bob Shaye and Michael Lynne exited NL and Toby Emmerich took over. That process and the intergration of NL into the WB structure was a long and complex process.

G

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.