Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Best Time of Year for a Hobbit Release?

sphdle1
Gondor

Jan 26 2010, 4:52pm

Post #1 of 24 (313 views)
Shortcut
Best Time of Year for a Hobbit Release? Can't Post

I wonder if the best time of year to release the Hobbit movies would be Dec 18 ?
I noticed a pattern with James Cameron's Titanic and Avatar...they were both released around that date. And I wonder if they have such staying power, not just because the movies are great, but also because there may be less big releases in the weeks to follow after the New Year..?

Others may say the summer is a better time to release a movie, however I keep going back to Cameron's 2 epics and wonder if that time of year is a magical time to release, or did lightening strike twice for him, or is he just that brilliant a writer/director, or a combination of all three...? (Not to take anything away from Jackson as he is right up there with Cameron in my opinion, and Del Toro has to prove himself, but I am hopeful he will be up there as well)

macfalk
Valinor

Jan 26 2010, 5:01pm

Post #2 of 24 (206 views)
Shortcut
december is always best [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jan 26 2010, 5:11pm

Post #3 of 24 (206 views)
Shortcut
A.S.A.P. [In reply to] Can't Post

Ten years is long enough to wait. Pushing it out toward fifteen sucks.

Kangi Ska

At night one cannot tell if crows are black or white.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jan 26 2010, 7:35pm

Post #4 of 24 (191 views)
Shortcut
A.S.A.P.S.L.A.I.A.T.T.M.Q.F. [In reply to] Can't Post

As soon as possible so long as it allows them to make quality films. Wink

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

www.arda-reconstructed.com

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jan 26 2010, 8:13pm

Post #5 of 24 (173 views)
Shortcut
I. C. W. [In reply to] Can't Post

I concur wholeheartedly.

Kangi Ska

At night one cannot tell if crows are black or white.

balinman
Rivendell

Jan 26 2010, 8:41pm

Post #6 of 24 (175 views)
Shortcut
A.S.A.P.S.L.A.I.A.T.T.M.Q.F. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
As soon as possible so long as it allows them to make quality films. Wink

stormcrow20
Gondor

Jan 27 2010, 1:01am

Post #7 of 24 (151 views)
Shortcut
Each LotR film did very well in December [In reply to] Can't Post

Fellowship of the Ring: December 19, 2001
The Two Towers: December 18, 2002
Return of the King: December 17, 2003

(US release dates)

I think they are right in keeping it a tradition for The Hobbit.

"Expect me when you see me."

Eldorion
Rohan

Jan 27 2010, 2:54am

Post #8 of 24 (141 views)
Shortcut
A tradition for PJ in general [In reply to] Can't Post

King Kong: December 14, 2005

duats
Grey Havens

Jan 27 2010, 6:09am

Post #9 of 24 (267 views)
Shortcut
Rambling [In reply to] Can't Post

Let's say, best case scenario, they do begin filming in June of this year. Principal photography is expected to be a 14-month shoot, so it would end in August/September of 2011, leaving only three to four months to finish Film One in post-production. It does seem wise to push these films back a year (2012 and 2013), just so Film One isn't rushed out of the gate.

Now, I won't pretend to be an expert on post-production. I honestly don't know how long that process takes nowadays (I'm certain it varies according to the scale of the project). With the advancements that have taken place in special effects, I imagine that process isn't as time-consuming as it was back in the early 2000's. Then there's editing, digital grading, scoring, etc. etc. So as a naive fan, I wonder if they would actually need fifteen to sixteen months of post production work (which is how much time they would have to work with for a December 2012 release).

We also must consider whether or not GDT is a director who typically does re-shoots. I honestly don't know. But if he ISN'T a fan of re-shooting, that would cut down on time as well.

I could see Film One making a Summer 2012 release, but my gut says they'll stick with the winter tradition.

elvenhobbit
Rohan

Jan 27 2010, 10:23am

Post #10 of 24 (112 views)
Shortcut
December either 18th or 26th... [In reply to] Can't Post

18th is the date of the majority of holiday leave start up for schools at least in UK and some Europe.
26th the pre christmas fiesta - good for family get together therefore better for the sales of tickets etc good profit etc....

o man and i'm rambling now with sales/accounting pitch bleh bleeeeh
SlyLaugh

-e-h

Elven by name, Hobbit by nature

'Road lead ever on and on
down from the door where it began
now far ahead the road has gone
down from where all began' -FOTR-

and through all the world has changed
the ages come and go with time
and yet those remain unchanged
unto they journey westward
over the sea...

IreneoFunes
The Shire

Jan 27 2010, 1:56pm

Post #11 of 24 (99 views)
Shortcut
Curious [In reply to] Can't Post

King Kong would have worked better as a sumemr blockbuster because it was so action packed, but I understand the decision and it isn't wrong too.

I thin that clearly Christmastime. Summer blockbusters would be a good chance for The Hobbit part 2 in 2013 with the audience being noticed fromt he movies again.

Eldorion
Rohan

Jan 27 2010, 3:02pm

Post #12 of 24 (99 views)
Shortcut
That's a good point [In reply to] Can't Post

I hadn't done the math myself, but if The Hobbit lasts even just a year they wouldn't have very long (even less once you factor in the need for distribution and the like). Perhaps it's for the best though: each of the LotR films had about a year after filming and they seemed rushed in places.

Eldorion
Rohan

Jan 27 2010, 3:07pm

Post #13 of 24 (94 views)
Shortcut
Hmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
18th is the date of the majority of holiday leave start up for schools at least in UK and some Europe.
26th the pre christmas fiesta

I think that ~18th would be better than ~26th since it is before the holiday break (at least in America where it generally starts a few days before Christmas) and is therefore on the screens the entire holiday. It would seem New Line agrees since they released the LotR films at that time. Tongue

sphdle1
Gondor

Jan 27 2010, 4:55pm

Post #14 of 24 (88 views)
Shortcut
If the first is 2012 [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree the summer of 2013 would be the best for the 2nd movie.

sphdle1
Gondor

Jan 27 2010, 4:57pm

Post #15 of 24 (87 views)
Shortcut
I see the pattern [In reply to] Can't Post

Around Dec 18 must be the sweet spot for big epic movie releases... I didn't know those were the dates for the LOTR movies, thx.

IreneoFunes
The Shire

Jan 27 2010, 5:22pm

Post #16 of 24 (83 views)
Shortcut
We have a lot of examples [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for answers, fellas.

We have a lot of examples, as I say in the title. LoTR was perfect for Christmastime due its condition of trilogy and event, but look Harry Potter and his change from christmastime to Summertime (or Narnia). Even Twilight has attacked this November and comes again this Summer and I'm sure that guarantee great results to the Twilight franchise.

In the case of The Hobbit, the beginning of the Journey is clearly better on Christmas: the audience expecting this movie....the people all excited. But Summer 2013 will be a good chance for the Hobbit part two since it had the characters (not the franchise) from the first back in a probably large-scale climax battle and this fits in Summer since this has not the importance of destroying the Ring. The audience is going to see a end of the saga with a great battle but not a defining one. The audience is going to respond excited á la SW Episode III (it's the last LoTR movie in cinemas!) and also attract the teens for the spectacle in a relaxed way with the first one recent from the last Christmas (probably a phenomenon and huge box office success) and a good chance for cinemas to release The Hobbit part 1 and part 2...and the craziest, ALL the movies. And think about TIntin: it's going to be the Christmas-near-christmasy movie of the 2011 winter, in case of success (probably), Jackson will direct the second one for a 2013 release. It's hard to think for another delaying to The Hobbit 2, so if Tintin rocks in the Box Office, the christmas and summer with Hobbit it isn't that impossible....(it's just speculation, off course). Another factor could be the Del Toro's urgency for next projects and it's negotiation with Universal Studios. Universal expects Del Toro to be the next big name in his Monsters Properties and has faith in the long-time delayed Wolf Man. I think it's going to do fair well in the box office and it looks interesting (back to the roots with a contemporary vision and a good genre filmmaker like Johnston whose Jurassic Park was by far more satisfying than Spielberg's sequel and whose great pulpy spectacle Rocketeer has a place in my heart). Universal will go first with Creature of the Black Lagoon (nowadays a cult classic for genre fans than a known monster) and a Del Toro-produced Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde....And Frankeinstein, the big name, off course.

Another topic is if the movie is going to be as HUGE and SUCCESFUL as it seems....Do you fellas think that Jackson et al are going to buy the Silmarilion rights?

Oh, sorry for the bad writing in my first post.: Summer, the, think.

(This post was edited by IreneoFunes on Jan 27 2010, 5:31pm)

Eldorion
Rohan

Jan 27 2010, 5:41pm

Post #17 of 24 (81 views)
Shortcut
The Silmarillion [In reply to] Can't Post

First, Jackson wouldn't buy them; a studio would (or perhaps Saul Zaentz). Second, no one can buy them since they're not for sale.

duats
Grey Havens

Jan 27 2010, 5:58pm

Post #18 of 24 (77 views)
Shortcut
Really? [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought Jurassic Park III was fairly weak.

In Reply To
(back to the roots with a contemporary vision and a good genre filmmaker like Johnston whose Jurassic Park was by far more satisfying than Spielberg's sequel and whose great pulpy spectacle Rocketeer has a place in my heart).

macfalk
Valinor

Jan 27 2010, 6:03pm

Post #19 of 24 (70 views)
Shortcut
I dont agree, [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien films belong in cinemas on december - its the perfect month, with snow and all.

IreneoFunes
The Shire

Jan 27 2010, 6:25pm

Post #20 of 24 (61 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, but troubles Agendas and just a pair of movies... [In reply to] Can't Post

Are more likely to be as near as they could. Kill Bill is another good example!

IreneoFunes
The Shire

Jan 27 2010, 6:27pm

Post #21 of 24 (60 views)
Shortcut
Yeah! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's clear that the first Jurassic Park had the fun because it was a Spielbergian fairy tale (the Lost Father stuff is here in Sam Neill) with a irony on our idea of a Thematic Park.

The second one tried to make a rewriting of the Beast of one etc....and it failed ( American Godzilla, imitating Spielberg, was funny and even more forgettable)...the set pieces and the jungle resetting of Jurassic Park III is more enjoyable. But we're talking about sequels, action over dilemmas that were pretty much clear and solv'd in the first one.

IreneoFunes
The Shire

Jan 27 2010, 7:20pm

Post #22 of 24 (51 views)
Shortcut
And the other Del Toro project [In reply to] Can't Post

ĦĦĦĦĦThe Disney's Double Dare You sign of animated movies!!!!!!!!!!!!! True that they haven't any greenlight or date fixed, but will be soon I think.

Pretty curious that Disney after the Pixarization is backing to the roots (the princess and the frog) and hiring personal directors (Zemeckis, Burton and now Del Toro). It's a big change and a great alternative to the Disney more preteen oriented stuff.

(This post was edited by IreneoFunes on Jan 27 2010, 7:21pm)

Sunflower
Valinor

Jan 27 2010, 10:19pm

Post #23 of 24 (44 views)
Shortcut
Which will now be the Avatar traditon as well. [In reply to] Can't Post

If there are 2 sequels like Cameron says....and like I said yesterday, the perfect scenario would be TH 1 and 2 in 2011 and 2012, and Avatar 2 in 2013. (I can't imagine the Avatar sequel will take fewer than 3 yrs to make b/c of the visuals...unless Cameron designs his own copy of PJ's "render farm" computer to draw Pandora in that time...highly unlikely WETA will give that technology away!

One thing is for sure...this is the indeed the Golden Age of WETA. They are officially now the successor to Luca's ILM. The Hottet, and Greatest, FX team on the planet!

As the "best" time...both for financial and awards consideration, if you want a repeat of 2001-03, the 2nd half of December is the ONLY release date. These cannot be summer films, that's for sure. A summer film says "franchise tentpole pocorn blockbuster." A December release means oscar material.

Danged studio calandars....designed years in advance...

sphdle1
Gondor

Jan 28 2010, 12:33pm

Post #24 of 24 (69 views)
Shortcut
On second thought [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, now that I think about it more, it would be rushed to put the second film out in the summer...better to take their time, do it right, capitalize on the holiday/after holiday season, and have a better shot at the awards (which can also keep a film in theatres longer).

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.