Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Hobbit delayed till 2012 again
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

LordotRings93
Rohan

Jan 25 2010, 9:34pm

Post #1 of 54 (705 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit delayed till 2012 again Can't Post

From the head on New Line Cinemas: http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=62637

Well this sucks.... they say that it won't be ready till likely Q4 2012.

The HUGEST Lord of the Rings fan ever!
Owner of all Lord of the Rings merchandise.
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

(This post was edited by LordotRings93 on Jan 25 2010, 9:35pm)

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jan 25 2010, 10:14pm

Post #2 of 54 (450 views)
Shortcut
*Looks down the board* [In reply to] Can't Post

You might be interested in this thread: http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=234776#234776

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive
The Screencap of the Day Schedule for January

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jan 26 2010, 3:18am

Post #3 of 54 (356 views)
Shortcut
If this turns out to be true it just makes me sick! [In reply to] Can't Post

Damned New Line. Seems like as long as their name wasn't being mentioned everything was just fine. Mad

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Jan 26 2010, 6:24am

Post #4 of 54 (372 views)
Shortcut
The delay [In reply to] Can't Post

The delay, if there is one, seems to stem from the second script not being turned in so that the film can be budgeted and financed. I wouldn't expect any studio to simply write a blank check.

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jan 26 2010, 3:35pm

Post #5 of 54 (285 views)
Shortcut
I would much, much, much rather wait an extra year [In reply to] Can't Post

than have the artists rush to meet an artificial and meaningless deadline. In the grand scheme of things, what difference does a year make? But the difference in quality between a rushed effort and one that allows them to take as much time is as necessary will last forever (or at least as long as films last). The reaction of some people to this news -- even if it is true, which is highly questionable -- strikes me as somewhat immature at best.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

www.arda-reconstructed.com

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jan 26 2010, 3:37pm

Post #6 of 54 (301 views)
Shortcut
You must be young. [In reply to] Can't Post

Some of us may not live to see the movies!

Kangi Ska

At night one cannot tell if crows are black or white.

(This post was edited by Kangi Ska on Jan 26 2010, 3:38pm)

balinman
Rivendell

Jan 26 2010, 4:14pm

Post #7 of 54 (274 views)
Shortcut
You must be young. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Some of us may not live to see the movies!

Sunflower
Valinor

Jan 26 2010, 5:15pm

Post #8 of 54 (272 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

I can sympathize with the Creatives. There must be a hge debate going on, in the wake of Avatar's success: 3D or no 3D? The script must be re-written if they decide yes. Think about it: everyone is rushing to do 3D at this point--it's a stampede. For financial reasons, if nothing else. What a condoundrum...last month Del Toro was hoping to wow everyone with Smaug, and now everyone will just go and say "NotasgoodasTurokMakto*YAWN*." And no matter what the fans think, I can imagine some at the studio might not want TH to be looking like "old hat" either in terms of visuals or boxoffice, considerig the higher ticket prices.

I am not arguing for or against it per se, right now. The only bad thing, if this is true, is that Dec now seems to be the month for the Avatar sequels. The "TH in Dec 2011 and Dec 2012 and maybe Avatar 2 in Dec 2013" scenario would have been perfect. If TH is delayed, it will have to share the last half of Decamber with Cameron's sequels. Which would not be a good thing for either film...to be in competition. B/c we know who would get the lock on profits.

(Just thinking like a Studio Stooge hereSly)

Eryn
Bree

Jan 26 2010, 5:21pm

Post #9 of 54 (259 views)
Shortcut
nooo! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh man! I had hoped this rumour would be squashed the last time it was around... I can't hold out that long!!!!! 2011 is long enough!!!
I also really hope they don't make it 3D. It's a great development in cinema, yes. But I honestly don't think all movies should convert. Besides- The Hobbit doesn't need 3D-ifying! It's awesome as it is, and I think making it 3D will actually make it less believable, less authentic.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jan 26 2010, 5:29pm

Post #10 of 54 (275 views)
Shortcut
Nope, a greybeard like you [In reply to] Can't Post

The extra year -- if it happens -- isn't going to make that much difference. In fact, a year in our lives is a shorter amount of time, comparatively, than it is to those young kids.

Patience, my friend.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

www.arda-reconstructed.com

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jan 26 2010, 5:43pm

Post #11 of 54 (263 views)
Shortcut
Depends on from which end you are counting. [In reply to] Can't Post

But it is an incentive.

Kangi Ska

chrism628
Bree

Jan 26 2010, 11:25pm

Post #12 of 54 (223 views)
Shortcut
2011 Will Still Be Good [In reply to] Can't Post

Blue-ray extended edition release of LOTR in 2011?!? Sounds good to me

Eldorion
Rohan

Jan 27 2010, 1:00am

Post #13 of 54 (215 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that making the movie 3D would necessitate a script rewrite. The story is still the same; it's just the visuals that arre somewhat different.

Also, I don't think competition is bad, especially since interest in one fantasy film (that's essentially what Avatar is even though its also science fiction) can raise interest in the whole genre. Think HP1 and FotR. That said, ihaving them open in the same weekend or almost as close would probably hurt both. For a pair of blockbusters like that, I think one would move the release date by a few weeks, maybe to the end of November.

almas_sparks
Rohan

Jan 27 2010, 1:55am

Post #14 of 54 (209 views)
Shortcut
two or three years same thing [In reply to] Can't Post

the wait is wait. But delay to 2012 gives hope that real 3D and IMAX will be a go. WB wants to convert/film last HP movies in 3D which is a greta idea and imersion in Hobbit world will be awesome. When I watched Avatar, I thought how Smaug and flight on the eagles will be amazing since flights of Toruck Maktaw and iqrals were just incredible.

FarFromHome
Valinor

Jan 27 2010, 1:59am

Post #15 of 54 (213 views)
Shortcut
What's worrying me [In reply to] Can't Post

is how we're going to keep talking about this stuff for an extra year.... Tongue

They went in, and Sam shut the door.
But even as he did so, he heard suddenly,
deep and unstilled,
the sigh and murmur of the Sea upon the shores of Middle-earth.
From the unpublished Epilogue to the Lord of the Rings

almas_sparks
Rohan

Jan 27 2010, 2:14am

Post #16 of 54 (205 views)
Shortcut
ah, but we will know the cast [In reply to] Can't Post

and get pictures and footage.

Eldorion
Rohan

Jan 27 2010, 2:42am

Post #17 of 54 (205 views)
Shortcut
That's a worry? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm loving the build-up myselfm probably because I'm too young to have been part of it for LotR. Sly

FarFromHome
Valinor

Jan 27 2010, 3:06am

Post #18 of 54 (220 views)
Shortcut
I'm so old [In reply to] Can't Post

I even remember the buildup for Bakshi's LotR. That was such a bust that I stayed away completely from the Jackson LotR buildup - only decided to see FotR after I read a few reviews and saw a few stills that reassured me.

But reading back now, looking at the way off-base theories that were floating around TORn at that time, I'm under no illusions that anything we're saying here will seem relevant at all once we see what the filmmakers are actually doing...

On the other hand, I can't deny I'm having fun so far...

Cool

They went in, and Sam shut the door.
But even as he did so, he heard suddenly,
deep and unstilled,
the sigh and murmur of the Sea upon the shores of Middle-earth.
From the unpublished Epilogue to the Lord of the Rings

Eldorion
Rohan

Jan 27 2010, 3:13am

Post #19 of 54 (197 views)
Shortcut
One day [In reply to] Can't Post

I will be able to point back to my crazy theories and call people 'younguns'. This is probably more fun though. Tongue

(This post was edited by Eldorion on Jan 27 2010, 3:15am)

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jan 27 2010, 3:34am

Post #20 of 54 (197 views)
Shortcut
A Bakshi Aside: [In reply to] Can't Post

I had an almost identical experience with the Bakshi film and also decided not to follow the build up to the Peter Jackson films. I was so angered I just did not want to deal with it. I missed the opening of Fellowship and went a while later. I have cursed that choice. A week ago I watched the Bakshi film again. That was the first time since the premier. The roto-scope crap was still horrible. Boromir the Viking... The non-end ending... all were still there, But between those problems I saw that Ralph had worked out a nearly passable adaptation. To bad about the money and technology that prevented a better outcome.

Kangi Ska

Eldorion
Rohan

Jan 27 2010, 3:39am

Post #21 of 54 (193 views)
Shortcut
What do you mean... [In reply to] Can't Post

...by "a nearly passable adaptation"? Are you suggesting Bakshi came close to being accurate to the book?

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jan 27 2010, 4:47am

Post #22 of 54 (188 views)
Shortcut
Hardly [In reply to] Can't Post

I was saying that it was a bit better than I thought when I saw it in the theater. There a some who post right here on these boards that think it is good. It was their writing that got me to look at it again. I had owned the DVD for over two years. Got it at a rummage sale for a dollar.

Kangi Ska

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jan 27 2010, 4:56am

Post #23 of 54 (192 views)
Shortcut
And by the way [In reply to] Can't Post

On one of the other active threads there is a long argument about exactly constitutes a good adaptation.
And I would add that there has only been one adaptation of The Hobbit that I truly liked and that was a set of vinyls narrated by Nicol Williamson that the Professor signed off on.

Kangi Ska

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jan 27 2010, 5:10am

Post #24 of 54 (176 views)
Shortcut
How? Or the way? I'm worried that I can't hold my virtual alcohol for another year of this. ;) // [In reply to] Can't Post

duats
Grey Havens

Jan 27 2010, 5:13am

Post #25 of 54 (187 views)
Shortcut
A two-year wait isn't all that bad [In reply to] Can't Post

I had to wait three years after Batman Begins for The Dark Knight. Got through that time by doing what I'm doing now: reading up on the latest news/rumors, discussing the film/s on message boards, and going about my everyday life.

We also had a two-year wait in between Return of the King and King Kong. But that time went exceptionally fast due to the production diaries that satiated me each week.

I would LOVE PJ and GDT to make production diaries for The Hobbit films. I'm hoping they are at least throwing the idea around. Even one once a month would be great.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.