Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
A Twitter Hint at Bilbo? The Latest Rumor
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Jan 21 2010, 7:49am

Post #1 of 114 (4290 views)
Shortcut
A Twitter Hint at Bilbo? The Latest Rumor Can't Post

Thanks to Ringer Ryan who sent in a rather interesting find. We have not been able to verify the following statement from Ryan is correct, but we thought with Andy Serkis replacing David Tennant in the upcoming 'Burke and Hare,' it might just be the smallest of hints who could be cast as Bilbo Baggins. Here's what Ryan sent us:

'Simon Pegg wrote on Twitter yesterday "Looks like David Tennant will be visiting Middle Earth"...
He has since...I think...Deleted this post...'

We do know that David Tennant has dropped out of 'Burke and Hare' from another Simon Pegg tweet, that has since been removed, but reported on by the MTV Movie Blog. You can read more about that through the following link. [Read More]

Ah, the wonders of casting rumors! What do you think? Would David Tennant make a good Bilbo? Click on the discuss link below and let your voice be heard!

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 21 2010, 1:19pm

Post #2 of 114 (1691 views)
Shortcut
Too many *gasp* moments in a week for me... not good... [In reply to] Can't Post

Once again... David Tennant, great actor, not Bilbo (imho) Unimpressed

The House of Eorl is being renovated!

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Jan 21 2010, 1:23pm

Post #3 of 114 (1383 views)
Shortcut
Might not be so bad ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I won't get my hopes up for anything right now. I'll freak out when there is an official announcement.

"Welcome. Wilkommen to Kino Das Bang Bang Boom Boom 1970 Ich Habe Diese Jacke Bekommen, 2004."

brokenmandible

Jan 21 2010, 1:24pm

Post #4 of 114 (1624 views)
Shortcut
Really? read the tweet again please. [In reply to] Can't Post

This has NOTHING TO DO with David being in the Hobbit! Did you even read the tweet?! It said that he dropped out and someone who has been to Middle earth and Skull Island is replacing him. A.S. Is Andy Serkis not going to be Gollum? Because you would think that if Andy is REPLACING him in a movie, it might be difficult to also be in another movie with him. This is not news at all other than noting Andy Serkis' next project.

"David Tennant had to drop out of 'B&H' but by sheer glorious serendipity a legend of Middle Earth and Skull Island has come aboard. Welcome AS," Simon Pegg wrote on this Twitter account today.

(This post was edited by brokenmandible on Jan 21 2010, 1:26pm)

macfalk
Valinor

Jan 21 2010, 1:34pm

Post #5 of 114 (1503 views)
Shortcut
why not? [In reply to] Can't Post

10x better than maguire though Cool

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 21 2010, 1:40pm

Post #6 of 114 (1494 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

... David Tennant doesn't look a whole lot like Ian Holm, nor does he have any of his mannerisms. But that's just my criteria for choosing the next Bilbo (as if it matters Crazy). I can only hope for the best and trust in the filmmakers to do their job well... actually, I'm quite sure they'll nail it Cool

The House of Eorl is being renovated!

Growlithe the Grey
Rivendell

Jan 21 2010, 1:54pm

Post #7 of 114 (1452 views)
Shortcut
Yes. Misinterpreted Tweet [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
This has NOTHING TO DO with David being in the Hobbit! Did you even read the tweet?! It said that he dropped out and someone who has been to Middle earth and Skull Island is replacing him. A.S. Is Andy Serkis not going to be Gollum? Because you would think that if Andy is REPLACING him in a movie, it might be difficult to also be in another movie with him. This is not news at all other than noting Andy Serkis' next project.

"David Tennant had to drop out of 'B&H' but by sheer glorious serendipity a legend of Middle Earth and Skull Island has come aboard. Welcome AS," Simon Pegg wrote on this Twitter account today.

Yeah, if that's the correct original tweet, it has nothing at all to do with Tennant, other than mentioning he had to drop out of B&H. Pegg is welcoming AS (presumably Andy Serkis) to the B&H project.

ETA: Okay, I missed the part about the other tweet that had apparently been posted then deleted without (apparently) any news sources picking it up.

(This post was edited by Growlithe the Grey on Jan 21 2010, 1:57pm)

deej
Tol Eressea

Jan 21 2010, 2:58pm

Post #8 of 114 (1541 views)
Shortcut
The complete (and accurate) Tweet and article was posted on Chud.com yesterday: [In reply to] Can't Post

Simon Pegg has just announced via Twitter that former Dr. Who David Tennant has dropped out of the new John Landis film Burke and Hare, about the famous 19th century graverobbers. In his place: Andy Serkis.

Says Pegg's tweet: David Tennant had to drop out of B&H but by sheer glorious serendipity a legend of Middle Earth and Skull Island has come aboard. Welcome AS

Pegg will be playing Burke and Serkis will be Hare; the duo were famous for digging up corpses from cemeteries and selling them to medical schools, but once the supply ran out they took corpse-generating into their own hands. I'm assuming with Landis and this cast we're looking at a fairly comedic view of the proceedings, which is fine since Burke and Hare were kind of bumbling fools (or at least have been popularly portrayed as such).

John Cleese also stars. As of now the film is set for a 2010 release.

"...and back again."

Uruk-Hai
The Shire

Jan 21 2010, 3:07pm

Post #9 of 114 (1266 views)
Shortcut
bad actor, bad choice...unless recasting for pippin [In reply to] Can't Post

he's a terrible actor...has anyone seen him in harry potter...ugh! he should stick to low grade acting jobs like doctor who. is MARTIN FREEMAN under consideration?!

(This post was edited by Uruk-Hai on Jan 21 2010, 3:11pm)

Runk Snusgrop
Rivendell

Jan 21 2010, 3:09pm

Post #10 of 114 (1251 views)
Shortcut
Re: Too many *gasp* moments in a week for me... not good... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sold on this 100%, but he's a better pick than Martin Freeman.

chrismortega
Bree

Jan 21 2010, 3:17pm

Post #11 of 114 (1155 views)
Shortcut
I'd trust the judgement of Jackson and G [In reply to] Can't Post

He's not that bad. I'm sure that tongue thing he did in harry potter was not his idea. And I think he looks the part! Still, Martin Freeman would be a much better choice in my opinion.

And as for the validity of the rumor, it seems rumor-worthy enough just to speculate on why he has dropped out of the project with Pegg. Hmmmmmmmm...

Growlithe the Grey
Rivendell

Jan 21 2010, 3:18pm

Post #12 of 114 (1170 views)
Shortcut
We need damage control here [In reply to] Can't Post

Unless Simon Pegg posted two incredibly similar Tweets regarding David Tennant, one stating he's off B&H and another remarkably similar but thus far unverifiable one that says he's going to be "visiting Middle Earth" then we've got a simple miscommunication here. I find NO sources reporting anything to the effect of the mysterious disappearing Tweet that suggests Tennant will visit Middle Earth. I don't think Simon Pegg is going to be the one to break the Bilbo news, as much as I loved him as Scotty.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jan 21 2010, 3:28pm

Post #13 of 114 (1223 views)
Shortcut
TotalFilm is reporting that they think Tennant May Be Bilbo [In reply to] Can't Post

Is David Tennant Bilbo Baggins?

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

www.arda-reconstructed.com

Nesse
Lorien

Jan 21 2010, 3:28pm

Post #14 of 114 (1050 views)
Shortcut
From now on.... [In reply to] Can't Post

After all the hoo ha in the Sun I aint gonna believe anyone except if it comes from G or PJ. Even if its someone like a Tobey or a hollywood-A lister (which I prefer not to have) we might all get a pleasant suprise by the way he potrays Bilbo, PJ and G know what they are doing, cant wait till we get on the boards after seeing it for the first time and to see everyones reaction.

Growlithe the Grey
Rivendell

Jan 21 2010, 3:38pm

Post #15 of 114 (1064 views)
Shortcut
Too large of a leap in speculation [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

While I don't find complete flaw in their thinking, I just don't see making that big of a leap from the Pegg tweet. It just seems to be reading between the lines just a bit too much at this stage. If Pegg knew something, he wouldn't be dropping sneaky hints. He'd either come right out and say it, or keep it totally secret. Pegg doesn't seem to be too concerned with where Tennant will end up after leaving the project. He seems excited about Andy S, nothing more.

Now, the question of why Tennant would leave B&H is a valid one. It would likely take something significant to make you leave a film project at that stage of the game. However, it could also be a directorial/producer decision rather than Tennant's decision. They may keep that reason hush hush to protect Tennant as an actor, but he might have been essentially fired over some reason we're not going to be made aware of. Another possibility is that Tennant had to leave for personal or family reasons. The final reason, of course, could be something "huge" coming his way, such as the Hobbit. But again, I think it's reading wayyyy too much between the lines to jump to that conclusion at this point.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jan 21 2010, 3:43pm

Post #16 of 114 (1088 views)
Shortcut
That is all true, but if the reported second tweet is true it takes it beyond the realm of speculation [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't at all disagree with your reasoning. The only reason we are talking about it is because of the reported second tweet. That one is pretty unambiguous. Of course, we don't know whether it really was there and then was deleted before it got reported anywhere else, or whether it was the product of an inventive mind.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

Lunamoth
Rohan

Jan 21 2010, 3:47pm

Post #17 of 114 (1029 views)
Shortcut
If AS is to take his role [In reply to] Can't Post

If the information of Andy Serkis taking over Tennant's role in this other film is correct, it doesn't make any sense that Tennant would be leaving said film in order to do The Hobbit, considering Andy is also considered quite important to the filming of The Hobbit.

Just a tweet, in any case, and not enough for me to believe a word of it.

Luna's LJ
Tales of Elewir

Growlithe the Grey
Rivendell

Jan 21 2010, 3:54pm

Post #18 of 114 (1077 views)
Shortcut
This "second tweet" business gives me pause [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I don't at all disagree with your reasoning. The only reason we are talking about it is because of the reported second tweet. That one is pretty unambiguous. Of course, we don't know whether it really was there and then was deleted before it got reported anywhere else, or whether it was the product of an inventive mind.

I think we pretty much have to assume it was a misunderstanding, don't we? Ryan's evidence for said Tweet seems rather thin, and nobody else on the internet besides him recalls, saw, or captured such a post? Like I said before, that Tweet seems way to eerily close to the other Tweet that is quoted word for word. I think that Ryan, in his haste to report something when he read that Tweet, mis-read it, and then paraphrased it when he passed it on, thereby missing very important key words.

I'm just thinking that if this mystical "second tweet" really did occur, someone else out there would have caught it. Not to mention how odd of a Tweet it would be for Simon Pegg - someone who really has nothing to do with any of it, would Tweet something like that. And finally, on top of that, why would Pegg make two separate Tweets that were so similar in what they address - the departure of Tennant. It just seems all too unlikely to me for every one of those things to have occured.

I'm sticking with the idea that Ryan (does he post here?), in his haste, simply mis-read the Tweet that's been posted in this thread and on the MTV movie blog, and then paraphrased it incorrectly. If Ryan had done a copy-paste or screen shot, that would be a significantly different story, but when going one person's interpretation+memory, I'd like to have something more tangible or at the very least multiple witnesses of this "second Tweet."

Lunamoth
Rohan

Jan 21 2010, 4:01pm

Post #19 of 114 (1047 views)
Shortcut
What second tweet? [In reply to] Can't Post

I follow Simon Pegg on Twitter. I don't see either tweet. And TotalFilm's blog says (from the comments below the original post):

We're not saying Simon Pegg's Tweet said that Tennant's in the Hobbit, we're saying Simon Pegg's Tweet said that Tennant's leaving Burke And Hare.

Then we're pondering on what could possibly be big enough to make him drop out of a project that seemed to have a perfect part for him...

Then we're realising how even more perfect he'd be for Bilbo. :)

In addition to that, it's entirely possible that the pilot for Rex is Not Your Lawyer got picked up for filming a full season, which would be a perfectly sound reason for its lead actor to drop out of film project.

Luna's LJ
Tales of Elewir

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jan 21 2010, 4:09pm

Post #20 of 114 (1019 views)
Shortcut
It gives me pause, too [In reply to] Can't Post

I think your reasoning is quite sound, and that that is the most likely explanation of the so-called second tweet. But we'll know when we know, probably in a month or so (with emphasis on the "or so" Wink)

FutureDirector

Jan 21 2010, 4:22pm

Post #21 of 114 (1076 views)
Shortcut
As much as I liked Doctor Who [In reply to] Can't Post

As much as I liked Doctor Who, I don't know what to think about this. It's more than likely misworded, however, even David joked around at comic con saying "Well I guess I'm apparently playing a Hobbit next." commenting on all the speculation and rumors. So it didn't say that he wasn't interested.
I was all for Martin Freeman from the beginning, but another actor came into my view. He's around 50, looks like a Hobbit, as well as Ian in a way. He was also a former Doctor. Paul McGann.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_McGann

Nesse
Lorien

Jan 21 2010, 4:26pm

Post #22 of 114 (977 views)
Shortcut
tweet tweet [In reply to] Can't Post

Dang it must be getting nigh impossible for PJ and G to try and keep everything under wraps with it all starting soon....reminds me off the fellowship trying to keep Frodo hidden from the Nazgul and Sarumans spies. Every blog, newspaper and border watched.

Voorhas
Lorien

Jan 21 2010, 4:35pm

Post #23 of 114 (1133 views)
Shortcut
Right... [In reply to] Can't Post

...it was announced that Andy Serkis is replacing David Tennant in the upcoming Burke & Hare film...because Tennant is shooting a pilot for a potential series in America. There's no room in his schedule for The Hobbit.

Voorhas
Lorien

Jan 21 2010, 4:39pm

Post #24 of 114 (1010 views)
Shortcut
Here Ya Go... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's the pilot for Rex Is Not Your Lawyer, which sounds like a courtroom version of Monk:

http://scottishactors.blogspot.com/...erican-tv-pilot.html

Uruk-Hai
The Shire

Jan 21 2010, 4:40pm

Post #25 of 114 (1007 views)
Shortcut
a ranger out of the west [In reply to] Can't Post

hmm, i'd say paul looks more like a ranger or even bard-ish than he does hobbitish.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.