Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
An admittedly odd request of any UK tornsibs out there...
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Laitholiel_the_SeaElf
Lorien

Jan 19 2010, 6:52pm

Post #1 of 34 (287 views)
Shortcut
An admittedly odd request of any UK tornsibs out there... Can't Post

This is one of the few internet communities I belong to that I would truly consider international, so it was one of the few places I could think to ask!

I have recently gone insane and the root cause is a pair of shoes. Yes, shoes. It fills me with shame, I promise. The only place I can find that still carries them is a UK-based store that does not offer international shipping. I'm wondering if any UK tornsibs would be able to receive the shoes and forward them to me so that I can return to my previous existence as a rational human being. Crazy

Reply or PM me if willing!

Also, I've never posted anything like this before, so if I am in violation of message board rules, I apologize.

But you are what you love,
And not what loves you back.
And I'm in love with illusions
So saw me in half.
I'm in love with tricks
So pull another rabbit out your hat.

(This post was edited by Laitholiel_the_SeaElf on Jan 19 2010, 6:53pm)

GaladrielTX
Tol Eressea

Jan 19 2010, 11:56pm

Post #2 of 34 (190 views)
Shortcut
Hey, that’s why we call it Off-Topic! [In reply to] Can't Post

I’m freaking out about the downsizing of Easy Spirit shoe stores, personally. They’ve closed all their retail stores in the DFW area except for an outlet store in one of the suburbs. I’ve been buying their shoes almost exclusively for twenty years. Whatever shall I do if they close the last store here? Buy over the Internet, I guess; but it’s hard buying shoes without trying them on first.

~~~~~~~~

The TORNsib formerly known as Galadriel.

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Jan 20 2010, 11:15pm

Post #3 of 34 (194 views)
Shortcut
Shipping costs [In reply to] Can't Post

from the UK to US, especially air mail, could add quite a chunk to the cost of the shoes, depending on how chunky they are - worth bearing in mind. Also, would you have to pay any tax on receipt? I remember when I ordered my mallorn leaf brooch from the Noble collection, I was stung for tax when it was delivered to the UK.

Laitholiel_the_SeaElf
Lorien

Jan 21 2010, 8:03am

Post #4 of 34 (160 views)
Shortcut
True, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

... the UK price is still cheaper than the sale price that was being offered over here when my stores still had them in stock by about 1/4 of the price. I'm betting/hoping it won't exceed the difference.

So saw me in half.
I'm in love with tricks

Laitholiel_the_SeaElf
Lorien

Jan 22 2010, 4:59am

Post #5 of 34 (147 views)
Shortcut
A big thank you to Jazmine! [In reply to] Can't Post

And thank you to others who responded as well Smile Mission accomplished.

So saw me in half.
I'm in love with tricks

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Jan 22 2010, 5:15pm

Post #6 of 34 (142 views)
Shortcut
More than happy to help! [In reply to] Can't Post

Nothing can come between a girl and a gorgeous pair of shoes!

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Jan 22 2010, 5:25pm

Post #7 of 34 (135 views)
Shortcut
You know all of us other shoe lovers are going to want a picture! // [In reply to] Can't Post

And suddenly the Ainur saw afar off a light, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame.

Loresilme
Valinor

Jan 23 2010, 3:34pm

Post #8 of 34 (147 views)
Shortcut
Oh! Shoes! *groans* *tears hair* [In reply to] Can't Post

I have the hugest problem with shoes. Here is my sad tale...
I have narrow feet.
What's so sad about that?
Not so weird, you say?
Ha!
Try finding any retail store - at least in the northeastern U.S. - that carries narrow widths anymore.
Any retail store. Even one.

*clock ticks*
I'll wait....

There are none any more.
Apparently, I have become some sort of freakish dinosaur, some last of my species type of creature.

Nordstrom's, bless their expensive upscale hearts, does still carry narrows, however their shoes are very pricey and the selection of narrows is extremely limited (Munro).

There are also retail shoe stores in New York City that carry narrow widths.... but all the ones I've called also have price ranges that are like Nordstroms. (Or worse :-)!)

I'm talking about average, every day shoes, that most people can just go into a shoe department or shoe store at the mall or shopping center, and there are walls full of reasonably priced shoes and dozens of people there trying on shoes to their heart's content, and they actually can choose from more than one available in their size. Just like I used to do.

That is no longer something I can do, and when I tell you I was a major shoe freak, in the day when I actually could buy shoes in a retail store, I loved shoe shopping. Now it just doesn't exist. It's a major bummer.

I have only been able to find narrow widths online and it is very difficult to buy shoes online because of how likely it is they will not fit. But you order anyway, and then you wait two weeks to get them. And then you have to ship them back, and start all over.

*sigh*

rant over.
Thanks for listening.

Any other sibbies out there with this problem as well? Maybe we need to start a narrow foot support group :-).

(This post was edited by Loresilme on Jan 23 2010, 3:39pm)

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jan 23 2010, 6:29pm

Post #9 of 34 (128 views)
Shortcut
Narrow feet and heels. [In reply to] Can't Post

And thin feet, too, with long toes. Tapered, pointy feet.
I think it's been maybe three years since I last bought any "dress" shoes, but since my shoe collection already brought to mind images of Ms. Marcos...well, you know...

Narrow-width shoes became increasingly harder to find as American bodies grew wider and wider. :/ I can remember when all shoes seemed to be designed narrower and I didn't always need ones specifically marked Narrow. Sometimes I just got a smaller size since my feet were pointy enough to fit into the tapered toebox.

Loresilme
Valinor

Jan 23 2010, 6:46pm

Post #10 of 34 (129 views)
Shortcut
We have matching feet :-)! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's exactly how mine are, thin in width, long toes. And actually thin in the sense of no 'fat', they're skinny as well :-).

That's a good thing you had built up a large enough collection of shoes in your size before they stopped inventorying narrows. In my case, I had lots of lovely shoes too, but after my daughter was born my foot grew a good half size (at least) longer, so all my shoes no longer fit. I tried holding on to them but after a while they *really* didn't fit and I didn't want to end up with foot problems from wearing too short shoes.

So now I'm kinda' stuck. I was relieved that my daughter did not inherit my foot shape! So at least I don't have this problem with her. I don't know how I would find shoes for a young girl or teenager with a narrow foot. At my age it's not so critical for the shoes to be fashionable anymore (*sigh* sensible shoes ... how did it come to this ;-) but I can't imagine trying to find narrows online or in catalogs for a young girl who's really looking for 'cool' shoes :-).

Well if you happen to uncover any sources, be sure to alert us fellow skinny feeters :-).

Cheers Eowyn Smile

Rivendell

Jan 23 2010, 6:49pm

Post #11 of 34 (157 views)
Shortcut
If it makes you feel any better.... [In reply to] Can't Post

13W are also a pain to find, in pretty much every style except work boots...My feet have been this size since about the age of 14 and it has been lots of fun ever since..there is also a surcharge on bigger sizes most of the time. There are no skates on the market that fit me and I need to spend several hundred dollars to have them custom made, like to pros do, except I don't have a sports franchise paying the bill...

mmmmmm Cram!

Annael
Immortal

Jan 24 2010, 2:07am

Post #12 of 34 (129 views)
Shortcut
'nother skinny footer here [In reply to] Can't Post

I used to buy AAA. Now I can hardly ever find a "A." Seems like women's shoes come in B or D, period. And I'm a 7-1/2, and half the time shoes are only in whole sizes. So a lot of the time I end up with an 8B, wearing thick socks so I don't swim around in the shoes!

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Loresilme
Valinor

Jan 24 2010, 4:18pm

Post #13 of 34 (119 views)
Shortcut
That's true! And there is such a double standard about that [In reply to] Can't Post

If you buy clothing in 'womens' or 'big mens' sizes, they'll also charge you more. And larger width shoes as well. The justification being, they require more fabric or material. Ok, fine - so then when they sell capri pants, which are basically pants with 12 inches of fabric lopped off the bottoms, why do they charge the same for capris as they do for full length pants?

P.S. I love your little sad sack violin guy!!

Loresilme
Valinor

Jan 24 2010, 4:24pm

Post #14 of 34 (125 views)
Shortcut
This is so wrong! [In reply to] Can't Post

We should not have to be stuffing our shoes with cotton in order to get the right fit Crazy.

One size definitely does not fit all.

They already don't make more than one width, what's the next thing - they'll do away with half sizes? And then after that, they'll just make Small - Medium - Large?

I wonder if it's possible to make your own shoes.

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 24 2010, 5:31pm

Post #15 of 34 (142 views)
Shortcut
It's insane the number of shoes I've given away [In reply to] Can't Post

because, as desperate as I was at finding *anything*, I just couldn't wear them. And, with a hard to fit foot, my shoes are always a minimum of $75. So giving away three of those over a decade...well, it's hard.

I have a wide foot across the arch and a high arch but my heel is narrow. That means if they shoe is wide enough for my foot, the heel will slip. I had a pair I could not wear with socks because they slipped so badly they'd pull my socks down. I could only wear them with nylons or tights.

My overall foot measures a 9 but my arch is positioned at a 8 and 1/2. Which means if the shoe is long enough for my foot, the arch is at the wrong place. If the arch is at a comfortable place, the shoe is too short for my foot. It also doesn't help that my second toe is longer than my big toe.

I am currently in a pair of Birkenstocks that some clerk managed to fit for me. (many Birkenstocks aren't properly sized for me and don't work). They're not exactly sandals but not exactly shoes (and alarmingly, I went looking for a picture of them and can't find them. ARG. If they're not available anymore, I'm going to cry!). They do kind of cup the back heel but only up about a half inch. They flop a little like a backless sandal will but they look more like a shoe. A big old clunky shoe. But Birks are hip at least. I once tried to get a walking shoe for my foot and the best the clerk could do for me was this butt ugly man's shoe for $125. I was outraged.

After fruitlessly hitting many stores for athletic shoes, I got a clerk to find one that fit. I wore them over 10 years. The Birks are 8 years old. The shoes I dance in for folk dancing are very old and irreplaceable. (They were a pair of Munros that just happened to fit the need for folk dancing perfectly).

I did find a dressier shoe (by a smidgeon) at Nordstroms for job hunting and bought, at the same time, a even dressier black flat for those special occasions. The black flats are not as comfortable as I'd like and I'm not sure if I'll wear them.

I'm trying to get through one more Minnesota winter with my Birks before I replacing them (they are war horses, though. They clean up very well even with all the slush and salt.) But if those aren't available anymore... well.. as I said.. I'm going to cry.

LOTR soundtrack website
Torn Image Posting Guide
magpie avatar gallery

(This post was edited by Magpie on Jan 24 2010, 5:32pm)

Rivendell

Jan 24 2010, 7:03pm

Post #16 of 34 (119 views)
Shortcut
I know people who make moccasins: [In reply to] Can't Post

Not exactly designer, but they custom fit them to your feet. I have a pair of "boot" style moccasins that come up my leg about 10', something like this:

without frills and different at the bottom. A recycled rubber under sole is also affixed to the bottom. They are ridiculously comfortable.

P.S.: http://www.connectingsingles.com/i/emot/violin.gif

mmmmmm Cram!

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 24 2010, 8:42pm

Post #17 of 34 (109 views)
Shortcut
nice boots! [In reply to] Can't Post

(which became my friends' code for "that boy on the screen is HOT!)

If you are not welded to a particular specific fashion statement... here's somethihg that would be wonderful for travels across Middle Earth.

My friend ordered a pair of these, and they're flippin' awesome. They come in various beautiful designs (based on Native North American classic designs), are sturdy, and will fit an amazing variety of feet.

Will Steger is an advocate for the arctic environment. The shoes are actually used by many explorers, and are handmade, and not as expensive as you'd think.

And you don't have to have sled dogs, like us...

http://www.mukluks.com/

(the TORNsib known as Legolas: pointy ears, runs on snow)

Go outside and play...

Rivendell

Jan 24 2010, 8:57pm

Post #18 of 34 (113 views)
Shortcut
My sister has a pair of those... [In reply to] Can't Post

she loves them...fashion gets thrown out the window at -30C..lol

My leather moccasins are the only animal product I still use, I had them made before i stopped using/eating meat and just can't give them up...

mmmmmm Cram!

(This post was edited by 7777777 on Jan 24 2010, 8:57pm)

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Jan 25 2010, 4:08am

Post #19 of 34 (105 views)
Shortcut
Luckily, Birkenstocks can be resoled [In reply to] Can't Post

So don't give up on your old Birkis just yet. Call around the shoe repair shops in your area to see if you can find one that does them. They can put a new rubber sole on the Birkis and even build up the cork if it's worn down a bit.

With caffeine, all things are possible.

The pity of Bilbo will screw up the fate of many.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Jan 25 2010, 4:12am

Post #20 of 34 (104 views)
Shortcut
Yes, we want pix! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Jan 25 2010, 4:16am

Post #21 of 34 (104 views)
Shortcut
And I thought I had it bad ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I take either a 10W, 10 1/2 or 11, depending on the style. But I can usually find something that fits if I look long enough.

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 25 2010, 4:33am

Post #22 of 34 (103 views)
Shortcut
It doesn't have a cork sole [In reply to] Can't Post

It has a rubber sole, almost a driving sole. The sole is fine. The leather is cracking.

LOTR soundtrack website
Torn Image Posting Guide
magpie avatar gallery

Laitholiel_the_SeaElf
Lorien

Jan 25 2010, 5:08am

Post #23 of 34 (99 views)
Shortcut
They are still an ocean away at the moment =) [In reply to] Can't Post

But I will deliver a pic!

So saw me in half.
I'm in love with tricks

Laitholiel_the_SeaElf
Lorien

Jan 25 2010, 5:15am

Post #24 of 34 (126 views)
Shortcut
I don't have this problem, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

My right foot is decidedly a 9 1/2 while my left is a 9. I think the arch my be higher which is where some of the trouble comes in. Fortunately I can deal with this problem by just demanding that my right foot suck it up and bear it! Your problem sounds terrible!

I recommend
www.endless.com if you live in the U.S.

Free overnight shipping AND returns. It's risk-free online shoe-shopping, and has been an enormous time-saver for me (frankly, I don't like actual clothing or shoe shopping -- online is the way to go).

So saw me in half.
I'm in love with tricks

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jan 25 2010, 6:32am

Post #25 of 34 (133 views)
Shortcut
Finding sandals and flip-flops is the hardest for me. [In reply to] Can't Post

Most of them are clearly made for people with thick feet. Finding flip-flops that are narrow enough not to fishtail/get walked out of/fall off, and don't leave my toes dangerously close to dangling over the front edge is bad enough...but filling the typical 1/4" or more gap with shoe-liners is not an option with sandals! *grrrrrr*
All that designer-looking strappy stuff I always bought wasn't just a matter of personal style. It also fit! I love all my other fancy footwear, too, but I wasn't as vain as some people thought. "Made in Italy" usually meant "Made for MY feet!" if not always "made for my wallet."

My feet didn't get any shorter, but my shoe size in most American brands went down a half-size over the years (from 7-1/2 and 7, down to 7 and 6-1/2). "Vanity sizing" isn't just for clothing anymore! But I love finding the oddball 8s that wouldn't fit a true 8. *heh*

I got my thin and narrow feet from Dad's side of the family. He used to wear 12-1/2 AA...cut for his AAAA heel. I used to model the Victorian boots and clothes in my grandma's old chests. And I learned to keep my shoes on around high school and college boys...;)

(This post was edited by Eowyn of Penns Woods on Jan 25 2010, 6:35am)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.