Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jan 15 2010, 7:39pm

Post #1 of 16 (613 views)
Shortcut
Lord of the Rings by Hayao Miyazaki. Can't Post

What do you think?

Kangi Ska

At night one cannot tell if crows are black or white.

(This post was edited by Kangi Ska on Jan 15 2010, 7:40pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 15 2010, 8:02pm

Post #2 of 16 (356 views)
Shortcut
When I saw Spirited Away [In reply to] Can't Post

... I thought he should do parts of the Silmarillion. I'm not sure what prompted me to say that but I the dream like quality of the images on screen evoked the dreamy myth aspect (as in ... both dreams and myth are informed by but somewhat removed from reality) of the Silmarillion for me.

I also liked one of the shorts of the Animatrix (The Program by Yoshiaki Kawajiri) and could see that style as presenting parts of the Silmarillion.

Although I like the style of the animation of each, I don't know that I'd love the characteristic anime face for Tolkien's characters.

LOTR soundtrack website
Torn Image Posting Guide
magpie avatar gallery

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jan 15 2010, 8:35pm

Post #3 of 16 (321 views)
Shortcut
Watching Ralph Bakshi LotR DVD [In reply to] Can't Post

This line of thought struck me just now while I am watching the Ralph Bakshi LotR DVD. This is the first time I have viewed it since I saw it in the theater in 1978.
The rotten-scoping is still one of my primary objections along with pretty much everything that happens after the Fellowship portion of the movie. What a jumble of junk.
I remember the sense of betrayal I felt as I left the theater all those years ago.

Now the Silimarillion that is an idea...but how to ever get the rights. I doubt that I will last long enough to see it.

Kangi Ska

(This post was edited by Kangi Ska on Jan 15 2010, 8:35pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 15 2010, 8:50pm

Post #4 of 16 (348 views)
Shortcut
responses [In reply to] Can't Post

re: Bakshi - here's what I wrote in my Summer of Tolkien journal

2000:
Word came that they were making a movie of Harry Potter and The Lord of the Rings. Everyone was worried about Harry Potter. ‘They would ruin it! They’d rob all those kids of the pictures in their head.’ But I was more worried about Lord of the Rings. That stupid cartoon hobbit offended me and I refused to rent it for the kids. This story had images that should remain unsullied by mediocre Hollywood special effects. (Even though these images weren’t really in my head anymore.) But we’re always up for a movie, especially a fantasy/sci-fi movie.

re Silmarillion rights - yeah.. it was all just mulling over in my head (I was also reading the Sil in a discussion group at that point). I'm not under any delusion that this would actually happen.

LOTR soundtrack website
Torn Image Posting Guide
magpie avatar gallery

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 16 2010, 12:10am

Post #5 of 16 (328 views)
Shortcut
Yes, yes, yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

Spot the fan.

squire
Half-elven

Jan 16 2010, 1:24am

Post #6 of 16 (342 views)
Shortcut
Manga, High King of the Valar, and Anime, his Queen [In reply to] Can't Post

The only group illustration of the Valar that I have ever come across is this one (see below), found during my discussion of the Valaquenta and discussed under the subhead "Images of the Valinorean Pantheon" on this page.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jan 16 2010, 1:33am

Post #7 of 16 (322 views)
Shortcut
Thought Provoking Indeed! [In reply to] Can't Post

You walk strange paths.

Kangi Ska

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 16 2010, 2:53am

Post #8 of 16 (289 views)
Shortcut
Aule's got attitude! [In reply to] Can't Post

I do like that, especially in showing that the Elves would take after the Valar in their tall, slender physique.

That's obviously Manwe and Varda down front, and Nienna is mourning in the middle. Who would the others be, particularly the Vala in shreds at the back left?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Jan 16 2010, 3:08am

Post #9 of 16 (324 views)
Shortcut
It is very dreamlike, [In reply to] Can't Post

I've only seen Spirited Away once, and I do intend to see it again (it's easily one of my favorites even afte one viewing). I agree that the style could work for certain parts. I don't think it would really work well with LotR, as that trilogy blends with a more realworld aspect. Wheras something like 'The Hobbit' (thinking of the Rankin-Bass animation) is falls into the fantasy genre moreso than LotR (in my opinion). I could see it working for 'The Hobbit' easily, but not LotR. However, I suppose it's all about the proper build.

geadin
The Shire

Jan 16 2010, 5:04am

Post #10 of 16 (373 views)
Shortcut
uniform [In reply to] Can't Post

Is that a schoolgirl vala on the right? Unimpressed

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Jan 16 2010, 2:35pm

Post #11 of 16 (304 views)
Shortcut
Shredded Vala [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's Tulkas. He was always fighting.

And suddenly the Ainur saw afar off a light, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 16 2010, 4:44pm

Post #12 of 16 (369 views)
Shortcut
Miyasaki and the valanime [In reply to] Can't Post

Love the valar! Beautifully pokes a hole in the deadly serious interpretations so often done of the Elves, Valar etc.

Miyasaki is the only animator who comes to mind who would do the Silmarillion, or any of the other HoME works justice. His style is a bit more classical rather than the somwwhat exaggerated anime styles one sees now. He has a wonderful sense of myth, and is able to draw from so many different cultures' imageries.

But what doughty young girl would drive the story in the Silmarillion? (Miyasaki's heroes are so often awesome young ladies).

Go outside and play...

hanne
Lorien

Jan 17 2010, 4:53am

Post #13 of 16 (276 views)
Shortcut
what doughty young girl would drive the story? [In reply to] Can't Post

Luthien.

But who would be the irascible old lady who turns warmhearted later on? :)

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 18 2010, 9:41pm

Post #14 of 16 (234 views)
Shortcut
irrascible old ladies... [In reply to] Can't Post

(raises hand, wriggles in seat) "Oooh., OOOOH!!! Cast me!

Then lose me in Mirkwood... the Elves there throw great parties...

Go outside and play...

Sunflower
Valinor

Jan 26 2010, 4:30pm

Post #15 of 16 (207 views)
Shortcut
LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

I love, love, LOVE it! I, too, am dying to know who the "cheerleader" is. And who Manwe is...I once did a similar snarky interpretation of the characters of "Dances With Wolves" but sadly 1) it is buried in the closet and 2) I don't have a scanner, even if I had it in front of me.

As to Miazaki doing the Sil...I can completely see this. Of course, I'd say "middle period" Miazaki, not the Miazaki-san of his earliest or latest features (the pendulum seems to have swung round again.) His style is at once both ethereal and real. Only thing is, I wonder what the rating would be. There's probably more animated blood spilled in Mononoke Hibe then most other features of the time, I wonder how he'd portray the sad saga of Turin. Though of course what I would have been dying to see was Beren and Luthien...he still does human-to-animal transformations better than anyone else..

moreorless
Gondor

Jan 30 2010, 10:59am

Post #16 of 16 (218 views)
Shortcut
Too epic? [In reply to] Can't Post

The Silmarillion seems a bit too "epic" for Miyzaki to me, while his films often cover larger events they do tend to have a personal story at the heart of them. I spose one of the sections of the Sil could be taken and expanded on although the majority of the material would likely need to be original.

The main thing he's have going for him producing a LOTR/Tolkien film is I'd say his subtleuse off location and atmosphere. Not that PJ's version didnt do a good job in those areas but his focus naturally seemed to be more about epic locations and character moments. I could see Mizaki version spending more time "on the road" showing more normal landscapes with the hints of history and character Tolkien often gave them.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.