Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming & Collecting:
What games did you get or have been playing this season?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Dec 27 2009, 4:20am

Post #1 of 34 (4303 views)
Shortcut
What games did you get or have been playing this season? Can't Post

Sorry about the strange title but I didn't actually get any games this Christmas (first time since the Atari 2600 went on the blink).

Luckily all my nieces and nephews are gamers! As such I've been able to play:
  • Left 4 Dead 2 -- totally messed up and fun as heck!
  • Assassin's Creed 2 -- quite a lot like the first one but in a different time and place. Ubisoft Montreal grabbed some awards for this one, yah Canada!
  • ODST -- Finally! Well actually Halo 3 Mythic, still the best MMOG, IMHO.
  • Looking forward to CD: Modern Warfare 2 but they haven't let me play it yet ;)

Donry
Tol Eressea

Dec 29 2009, 12:46am

Post #2 of 34 (3815 views)
Shortcut
Well.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I received NHL 10 for the 360 as a gift, so I've been getting beaten soundly on Xbox Live so far. I've been playing some older games as of late, Road to the World Cup '06 (after 2010's groups were announced)., NBA 2K9 as well, getting my feet wet in that game.
My brother received a Wii for Xmas, so we played a couple on that. I cannot remember the specific title of the game he got with it, something like 'Sports Lounge'? Anyway, we created the avatars and played some canoeing, bowling, 3-point shots (basketball), table tennis, cycling, sword fighting....and a few more.
The 10-year old in our house received several games, including Tony Hawk Ride, which comes with a skateboard. No wheels but it sits on the floor the gamer stands on it while playing. He also received the DJ Hero, same as rock band, but comes with a turntable. As well as Soul Caliber 4, Halo Wars, and another one I cannot remember for the life of me. I haven't played any of the boy's games yet, but will be soon!

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Dec 29 2009, 1:44am

Post #3 of 34 (3784 views)
Shortcut
Could stand to "shread" a few pounds [In reply to] Can't Post

Tony Hawk: Ride does look good, eh? My son and I used to play Hawk's earlier games for hours but got tired of the never ending sequels.

The board controller appears to be a great way to get people off the couch, though it does seem a little dangerous at first blush; I can see myself falling backwards, launching the thing at the tele as my feet come flying out from under me!

Donry
Tol Eressea

Dec 29 2009, 2:03am

Post #4 of 34 (3811 views)
Shortcut
Very True! [In reply to] Can't Post

I could see that board launched through the television sometime soon! I hope to see it in action this week and try it, but I may need a helmet!!! Could be a blast, and you are right, it is a good excuse to get off the couch. Playing the Wii this weekend, I realized what the hoopla is about, it can be a good workout. So I guess Microsoft is trying to tap into the same market.

My brother was very into the Tony Hawk games as well, as was the 10-year in our house. But you are right about the sequels. There just seemed to be too many.

Vidstige
Bree

Dec 29 2009, 11:40am

Post #5 of 34 (3819 views)
Shortcut
Ahum... [In reply to] Can't Post

*shuffles feet*

LOTRO Blush

And I've tried playing some Dragon Age, but the darn thing only seems to work if I disable sound completely. Unimpressed

Ya! Ya! Ya! Ya! Do you waaaaant...do you waaaaaant...to come back to my place, bouncy bouncy?

Deputy leader of The Blades of Arnor, a mature, friendly Lord of the Rings Online kinship on Snowbourn

Helmer - Man - Guardian - Explorer - Level 65
Laitainon - Elf - Lore-master - Historian - Level 61
Petur - Man - Captain - Tinker - Level 46
Xenarwen Warriorprincess - Elf - Champion - Armourer - Level 28

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Dec 30 2009, 11:13am

Post #6 of 34 (3947 views)
Shortcut
Assassin's Creed 2 and Wii Fit Plus [In reply to] Can't Post

AC2 was actually one of Neil's gifts, but he is still busy finishing Fable II so I got started with AC2. As you say, it is pretty much the same as the first one, just in a different time and place, but I'm still finding it enjoyable.

Wii Fit Plus, well, I'm trying to slim down before the wedding in March, and this does help. Of course, it doesn't beat real exercise, but I'm finding it pretty useful!

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Jan 4 2010, 4:29am

Post #7 of 34 (3807 views)
Shortcut
Wii Fit Plus here, too ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Santa brought us one for Christmas. (Thanks, Santa!) I've been working through the yoga and fitness routines and playing some of the games. It's nice to get feedback from the balance board on the yoga poses; I am really bad at the ones that require standing on one leg! My younger son likes to do it with me and makes me do the two-person running game with him. I think it's a good add-on to an exercise program. I do a lot of swimming and walking and it's a nice change of pace to do exercises that emphasize flexibility and balance. The trick, of course, is keeping it up!

I am not so sure about the accuracy of the Wii Fit's weight/BMI measurement, though. My weight dropped 8 pounds the day after I went out with my brothers for pizza, beer and wings! Angelic

With caffeine, all things are possible.

The pity of Bilbo will screw up the fate of many.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Larewen
Lorien

Jan 4 2010, 2:02pm

Post #8 of 34 (3764 views)
Shortcut
I'm pretty bad at gaming [In reply to] Can't Post

So I got only one true game and that is Super Mario Brothers. Haven't played it yet though.
Also, two Brain Age games, WordJong (which is my favorite) and a crossword puzzle one. More to my liking, or at least doable for me.

Had my LOTR playstation 2 game for years, and can't get very far in it. I keep killing off Aragorn. (darn trolls)

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Jan 4 2010, 6:55pm

Post #9 of 34 (3770 views)
Shortcut
I don't tend to pay any attention to the BMI feature [In reply to] Can't Post

I used the original Wii Fit for about four months last year, and at times my weight fluctuated impossibly on a day to day basis!

I like the more light hearted games on it, like the one where you stand and flap your arms like wings! That's always good for a giggle!

Buchanicus
Lorien

Jan 4 2010, 9:17pm

Post #10 of 34 (3781 views)
Shortcut
Nintendo [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been playing Super Mario Bros. Wii and The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks.

I do plan in the next month or so to buy a Xbox 360.

TORn member formally known as ryan1976.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jan 5 2010, 11:14pm

Post #11 of 34 (4032 views)
Shortcut
The price is [In reply to] Can't Post

certainly coming down to Earth finally. The bundle price for a 360 Elite is less than half what it was at the time of Halo 3's release...

Zelda is great but I haven't played a more recent version than for the N64.

Is there a particular game that is nudging you towards a 360?

Donry
Tol Eressea

Jan 8 2010, 3:09am

Post #12 of 34 (3739 views)
Shortcut
Madden 10... [In reply to] Can't Post

Just picked it up this week, so I've been playing a lot of NHL 10 (see earlier post!) and now some Madden 10. Like them both...the Be A Pro Mode in NHL 10 is very interesting. So far I like it a lot.

Buchanicus
Lorien

Jan 8 2010, 4:32am

Post #13 of 34 (4008 views)
Shortcut
Not in particular [In reply to] Can't Post

Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess for the Wii was really great! I also loved Winwaker on the gamecube.

There isn't a particular game that's pushing me towards the 360, it's mainly because the 2-3 guys I play games and spend time wiht the most have 360s, so that's the main influence as to getting one.

One of my friends loaned me his for a few weeks so I could play/complete Lord of the Rings Conquest and Batman Arkham Asylum. I also played Brutal Legened.

TORn member formally known as ryan1976.

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Jan 12 2010, 4:13pm

Post #14 of 34 (3750 views)
Shortcut
Dragon Age: Origins [In reply to] Can't Post

A funny, intelligent and fun game.

I think I mostly saved and got a new television as a monitor for my Xbox and partly, this game.

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

Donry
Tol Eressea

Jan 13 2010, 5:49pm

Post #15 of 34 (3729 views)
Shortcut
I'm picking up [In reply to] Can't Post

FIFA 10 this weekend. Can't wait to get my feet on that game.

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Jan 13 2010, 8:00pm

Post #16 of 34 (3836 views)
Shortcut
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 and The Beatles Rock Band [In reply to] Can't Post

I enjoy being a gamer. And over the past couple weeks I've been blazing through MUA2 (being a huge Marvel fanatic) and The Beatles RB (which I received for my b-day in October, love that game so much!). Good times. Smile

Ttandc
The Shire

Jan 15 2010, 12:27pm

Post #17 of 34 (3710 views)
Shortcut
Special Extended Edition of the Battle for Middle earth 2 [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been playing the special extended edition of the EA game battle for middle earth 2. Much better than the original version. Wink

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jan 16 2010, 1:12am

Post #18 of 34 (3716 views)
Shortcut
Hey [In reply to] Can't Post

Are there many people still playing "vs" online?

Donry
Tol Eressea

Jan 16 2010, 2:51am

Post #19 of 34 (3704 views)
Shortcut
I'm a Marvel fan also... [In reply to] Can't Post

and I heard a lot of hype about MUA2 originally, but it seemed to die off almost completely. Is #2 any good? Compared to the first one or just more of the same?

Donry
Tol Eressea

Jan 16 2010, 2:52am

Post #20 of 34 (3754 views)
Shortcut
VS.... [In reply to] Can't Post

In the Battle for Middle Earth, or online in general?

Ttandc
The Shire

Jan 16 2010, 7:34am

Post #21 of 34 (3717 views)
Shortcut
Battle for Middle Earth 2 Special Extended Edition [In reply to] Can't Post

Not may at the moment but when the next release comes out. Hopefully in Febuary I'd say every man and his dog will be online :D

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Jan 16 2010, 1:44pm

Post #22 of 34 (3932 views)
Shortcut
It depends on your standards ... [In reply to] Can't Post

It follows the same control scheme, but they've added the new fusion moves which are just plain awesome. The graphics have improved, and the plot is much more fun and interesting with some nice twists. Personally, I think it's better than the first. If you liked MUA, I suggest atleast renting this one.

Donry
Tol Eressea

Jan 17 2010, 4:50am

Post #23 of 34 (3720 views)
Shortcut
Alright... [In reply to] Can't Post

I may have to rent this one....really liked the first one...

Woodyend
Gondor

Jan 19 2010, 12:19am

Post #24 of 34 (3676 views)
Shortcut
Way deep in Oblivion . [In reply to] Can't Post

Not as good as Baldur’s Gate but comes a close second.

May your beer be laid under an enchantment of surpassing excellence for seven years!
~~~~~~~~Gandalf~~~~~~~

Listen. Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!

Donry
Tol Eressea

Jan 19 2010, 1:37am

Post #25 of 34 (3667 views)
Shortcut
I loved Oblivion.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I only got a small window into Baldur's Gate but would love to get a full crack at it. Every now and again I warm up Oblivion and go for a jog.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.