Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Casting Call Release? Link Enclosed
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Anteor
Bree

Jan 4 2010, 10:54pm

Post #1 of 30 (4239 views)
Shortcut
Casting Call Release? Link Enclosed Can't Post

http://www.movies.spoilertv.com/...it-casting-call.html

the above link gives casting details for The Hobbit, what characters are up for grabs etc. I highly doubt its real but I just thought I'd mention it

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jan 5 2010, 12:03am

Post #2 of 30 (1836 views)
Shortcut
Fun stuff, even though obviously false [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd be somewhat more inclined to believe it might be true if they hadn't completely left out Balin! Still, that took some considerable imagination, and it was fun to read.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

www.arda-reconstructed.com

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jan 5 2010, 2:41am

Post #3 of 30 (1641 views)
Shortcut
The main site seems to think it's real... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not so sure.So many characters are missing, (Balin, Bombur, the rest of the Dwarves, Beorn, Goblin King, Dain, ETC), yet "Alfrid" the Master of Lake-town's servant is a "Lead"? I don't think so.

From the main page: "SpoilerTV.com just alerted us to a list they posted today of major roles being cast for 'The Hobbit.' They’ve assured us their sources (and their track record) are reliable and we’ve confirmed via our sources that it is legit, though please note that the character descriptions are for audition purposes."

Still very interesting...Even if it isn't real, the rumors and spoilers are all part of the fun!

BTW, "for audition purposes" means that they may be looking for a particular type of actor, but they won't be playing that particular character in the final film. it's not at all uncommon in films attempting to maintain at least a semblance of secrecy...

PS- Anyone want to bet that the "Elf-Lord" in question is Glorfindel? Wink

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Jan 5 2010, 2:49am)

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 5 2010, 2:50am

Post #4 of 30 (1681 views)
Shortcut
This appears to *NOT* be legit [In reply to] Can't Post

Post (and Home Page story) have been edited: FYI, we've checked and double-checked (and now triple checked) with them and with our sources, and this appears to *not* be legitimate.

As the Home Page update implies, we don't take stories like this lightly and endeavor to validate them whenever possible, which we've been doing all evening. We've been getting mixed feedback, but finally heard from a VERY reliable source that this particular list isn't legitimate at this time.

We'll continue to carry the latest stories and rumors, and continue to use every possible resource to validate them for our readers. Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

(This post was edited by Altaira on Jan 5 2010, 3:44am)

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jan 5 2010, 2:57am

Post #5 of 30 (1533 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

Very intriguing! Wonder if Drogo and Primula get caught up in the Necromancer storyline while poor Bilbo's riding on barrels and being singed by Smaug? In any case, if this is a reflection of the final films, they're definitely expanding the scope and focus of the duology to be much more of a prequel, rather than a prelude. I guess they said that's what they doing, didn't they?

Henoluin Elsilim
Rivendell

Jan 5 2010, 3:02am

Post #6 of 30 (1513 views)
Shortcut
I was really excited [In reply to] Can't Post

when I saw this, and even if it does turn out to be fake its been an enjoyable read! The whole elven romance thing between the new never-before-heard-of-elf-girl and an unnamed "elf-lord" of Rivendell did make me shudder though, I'm not gonna lie. Wink

~ Henoluin ~

Lord of the Rings

Zachery Quinto for Thranduil!

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jan 5 2010, 3:46am

Post #7 of 30 (1474 views)
Shortcut
Makes Me Think "Tolkien In Love" [In reply to] Can't Post

Leglas & Itaril the Elflord's Daughter

Kangi Ska

At night one cannot tell if crows are black or white.

(This post was edited by Kangi Ska on Jan 5 2010, 3:48am)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jan 5 2010, 3:46am

Post #8 of 30 (1539 views)
Shortcut
Gotta like Bards desired age range [In reply to] Can't Post

35 to 48. What if you are 34 or 49?

I'm about smack in the middle of the range they are considering... just saying.Unimpressed

The "Elf Warrior" role has heart throb written all over it. Good.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jan 5 2010, 3:58am

Post #9 of 30 (1508 views)
Shortcut
Update... [In reply to] Can't Post

"After touching base with more of our contacts, we’ve been notified that this is not a valid list of lead roles and, in fact, some of the roles listed in the links are not relevant. Stay tuned here for more casting information as we get it, and rest assured we will follow every new story to confirm whether or not it is legit."

...from the main page. So, does this mean that the list itself is fake, on the roles are real but most aren't "Lead" roles?

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Jan 5 2010, 3:59am)

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 5 2010, 4:43am

Post #10 of 30 (1450 views)
Shortcut
I would take the list as a whole with a grain of salt [In reply to] Can't Post

A very BIG grain of salt.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Elven
Valinor

Jan 5 2010, 5:09am

Post #11 of 30 (1592 views)
Shortcut
Itaril & Primula??? [In reply to] Can't Post

Crazy [ITARIL] FEMALE, A WOODLAND ELF, this character is one the Silvan Elves. The Silvan Elves are seen as more earthy and practical. Shorter than other elves, she is still quick and lithe and physically adept, being able to fight with both sword and bow. Showing promise as a fighter at a young age, ITARIL was chosen to train to become part of the Woodland King’s Guard. This is the only life she has ever expected to live, until she meets and secretly falls in love with a young ELF LORD. This role will require a wig and contact lenses to be worn. Some prosthetic make-up may also be required. LEAD. AGE: 17-27. ACCENT – STANDARD R.P.

[PRIMULA BRANDYBUCK] Primula is a bright, lively and pretty young Hobbit. She is considered to be ‘wayward’ and ‘not proper’. But PRIMULA doesn’t care. - Prone to letting words and thoughts tumble out of her mouth without pause, PRIMULA can also be acutely observant. Kind hearted with a loving nature, she is the type of person who can light up a room sptv050769. LEAD. AGE: 18-27 STANDARD R.P. OR SLIGHTLY ACCENTED REGIONAL ENGLISH ACCENT.

Laugh

Swishtail.

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Avatar: Liberace - The other Lord of the Rings.

Quote of The Week: The thing is I always write in the morning, and I know that if I go to the Net I won’t write ... you can start in the most scholarly website and end up at Paris Hilton dot com .. GdT

weaver
Half-elven

Jan 5 2010, 5:45am

Post #12 of 30 (1469 views)
Shortcut
Shoot, just when I was figuring that Elijah Wood could get to play his father... [In reply to] Can't Post

..and couldn't you just see Jackson giving him a nice drowning scene?

On the other hand, I did wonder if I had fallen asleep for three months and that it was now April 1, once I got to that elf princess and elf lord bit!

Weaver

carrioncrow
Lorien

Jan 5 2010, 10:54am

Post #13 of 30 (1404 views)
Shortcut
is it real? [In reply to] Can't Post

i think the focus on fili and kili and the omission of Balin are the biggest clue this may be someone's idea of a joke.

if so, they deserve credit for mimicking the format and writing style of the character sheets used a decade ago for casting PJ's LOTR. Those casting notes were the first major spoilers in the run up to the start of producrion back then, and proved to be the real deal (despite being dismissed by many at the time because of the description of Arwen and an overly comical Gandalf)

Also the omission of Beorn and expansion of radagast (although appealing to me on a certain level) seems far fetched

(This post was edited by carrioncrow on Jan 5 2010, 10:56am)

Tim
Tol Eressea

Jan 5 2010, 7:09pm

Post #14 of 30 (1216 views)
Shortcut
Thanks... [In reply to] Can't Post

... for triple checking! Smile

Roast beef, which is Swedish for beef that is roasted!

sticklebat
Lorien

Jan 5 2010, 8:17pm

Post #15 of 30 (1238 views)
Shortcut
thank the powers that be... [In reply to] Can't Post

that this is likely bunk...

who the Sam-hell is "Alfrid"?
and random female Wood Elf?...possible Elven romance?
that would have my stomach turning and my blood boiling...
yuck...Crazy
please gawd...no...don't do this...what a disaster it would be...

Tri duath telich na estel lin...a si gerich naid bain anirach.

Garfeimao
Rohan

Jan 5 2010, 11:49pm

Post #16 of 30 (1202 views)
Shortcut
le sigh [In reply to] Can't Post

Let the false spy reports begin. It's clearly a sign that people want the news, and would rather make it up, than just wait for it to happen.

Peace, Love and Rock & Roll,

Garfeimao
The orange stripey One

My page in the Traveling Journal

Brandybuckled
Lorien

Jan 6 2010, 12:20am

Post #17 of 30 (1252 views)
Shortcut
the answer is plain... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
yet "Alfrid" the Master of Lake-town's servant is a "Lead"?

Well, clearly Michael Caine is playing Alfrid, and the Master of Laketown is Batman.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jan 6 2010, 12:40am

Post #18 of 30 (1229 views)
Shortcut
Well, obviously... [In reply to] Can't Post

Batman wanted to know if his suit would protect him from dogs in his last film. I wonder how it would hold up against dragons?

SteveDJ
Rivendell

Jan 6 2010, 3:17am

Post #19 of 30 (1194 views)
Shortcut
Main page link is faulty anyway... [In reply to] Can't Post

So it is probably just as well that this sounds like it is fake - as the link from the Main Page is broken (very mangled even). I had to come here, in the top post of this thread, to get a link that works.

On first read, as I encountered the female roles, I thought "...ok, that explains the earlier rumors of a female role...". And, Smaug being listed as "he" was reassuring.

But then again, if it is all fake, then - oh well. Back to fretting over these things again. Laugh

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 6 2010, 3:30am

Post #20 of 30 (1142 views)
Shortcut
It's fixed now. Thanks. // [In reply to] Can't Post

SmileCool

TORn Calendar

carrioncrow
Lorien

Jan 6 2010, 11:24am

Post #21 of 30 (1155 views)
Shortcut
is it possible... [In reply to] Can't Post

that some of the glaring omissions here (Beorn, Wood Elves King, Balin) are because actors for those roles have already been inked?

olipowell
Bree

Jan 6 2010, 12:12pm

Post #22 of 30 (1185 views)
Shortcut
I'm hearing different things... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm hearing from various sources that 'parts' of this breakdown may be accurate. So I wouldnt write it off completely!

I know for absolute certain they ARE casting at least one female role.

Also the fact that Balin and several others are not included does not mean anything!...Breakdowns are not always ALL issued at the same time. This could have been one particular section of several breakdowns...or it might well be that as people have already commented certain characters may already be 'inked' as possible...

I'm not believing it at the moment but wouldnt write it off as I say...

have sent it to my agent and asked him to investigate...

:D

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jan 6 2010, 12:43pm

Post #23 of 30 (1198 views)
Shortcut
Pretty sure that the female role will end up being a Dwarf... [In reply to] Can't Post

Guillermo has said things along the lines of "Tolkien never said the Dwarves were all male" and "Female Dwarves look just like male Dwarves anyway, even going so far as having beards", so I'd assume that would pretty much be a confirmation at least one of Thorin and Company will be feminized. Ironic that they've decided to do this themselves, seeing as PJ had to resist pressure from the studio to turn either Merry or Pippin into a woman! Still, I can see the need for there to be a character with a female energy and dynamic in an otherwise all-male cast.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jan 6 2010, 11:07pm

Post #24 of 30 (1142 views)
Shortcut
Anyone Else Think [In reply to] Can't Post

They might be testing the water. "How far can we push this?" Will the fan community rebel if we...?

Kangi Ska

At night one cannot tell if crows are black or white.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jan 7 2010, 2:54am

Post #25 of 30 (1120 views)
Shortcut
It's certainly possible... [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course, they should know by now that we probably will rebel if they deviate from the source material too much. Remember "Arwen: Warrior Princess"? Tongue

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.