Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Elvish- Quenya and Tengwar...Help me, please! It's very important to me.

Mivareem

Dec 16 2009, 1:52am

Post #1 of 9 (284 views)
Shortcut
Elvish- Quenya and Tengwar...Help me, please! It's very important to me. Can't Post

Hi to everyone.
I'm new in this forum, but I'm a devoted Tolkien follower.
First of all, I'd like to say that I'm Italian and that my english is a total mess, so forgive me if you can Blush .
I need someone who can translate me these Tolkien verses in Tengwar/Quenya, and post them in elvish (not in common letters but the elvish runes).

"Still round the corner
There may wait
A new road or a Secret Gate.
And though I oft
Have passed them by,
A Day will come
At last when I
Shall take the hidden
Paths that run
West of the Moon
East of the Sun."

Please, help me, I'll be surely lost without your help.
In any case, thanks to everyone.

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Dec 16 2009, 5:53am

Post #2 of 9 (169 views)
Shortcut
I found this... [In reply to] Can't Post

Here (work all done, heh).

Is it accurate? I have absolutely no idea. I know Sindarin a little better than Quenya (and even then, not that much), and I haven't studied how the Tengwar letters are written in ages (I remember that the vowels go above/below the consonants, and even then they aren't necessary, I remember Elendil's name being written as L - ND - L), but... it's something.

If there are any lurking language experts, perhaps they can check it out.

Also, welcome to the forums!

My LiveJournal ~ My artwork and photography ~ My LOTR fan fiction

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 16 2009, 11:38am

Post #3 of 9 (158 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to TORn :) You can also try this [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a link to a gentleman's site where you can transcribe/translate words or phrases into Elvish.

Dan Smith's Transcriber

Down the page where you see Tengwar has the blue mark (choice), click on the PNG just below that so the translator will work better (at least it does for me :)

You can still use the dropdown box in that Tengwar line to choose Quenya, Sindarin, Parmaite, Noldor and Formal elven script.

Type the word you want to translate in the very top box marked wynik and click on the transkrybuj button below the second box. That usually works best for me :)

Your English is VERY GOOD!! I hope you come back as often as you like and share your thoughts and love for Tolkien's works. It's going to be very exciting here now that The Hobbit films are starting to become a reality!!!

Enjoy!!

sample sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Twit
Lorien

Dec 16 2009, 12:56pm

Post #4 of 9 (150 views)
Shortcut
just to add [In reply to] Can't Post

if you click on the Union Jack [flag] at the very bottom it translates the Polish into English - which might make it a bit easier for you. [it did me]. Your English is very good, I couldn't write or speak Italian without the aid of a translator. I'm constantly amazed by the fact I can't normally tell the difference between non-english and english speakers here. Except for American-English speakers, they spell everything wrong.Wink

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 16 2009, 2:55pm

Post #5 of 9 (135 views)
Shortcut
Welcome [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't help you with your question (I just love to look at the elven writing, it looks so pretty).

But I just wanted to say hi to you.
Great to have another European-sib on the boards, I'm from The Netherlands.

And don't feel too bad about any spelling mistakes. First the boards do have a spelling check (I use it all the time), and besides that, people really don't bother you with a typo or misspelling. So just join in, before you know it, your English is even better than it used to be.

Welcome and enjoy all the fun here!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 16 2009, 5:40pm

Post #6 of 9 (115 views)
Shortcut
Bwahahaha!!! That's so true!!! :D /// [In reply to] Can't Post

sample sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

BrambleroseBrandybuck
The Shire

Dec 16 2009, 7:10pm

Post #7 of 9 (104 views)
Shortcut
I'm a bit rusty [In reply to] Can't Post

It has been a while since I translated something into Quenya, but let me see what I can do.

Once a TORnsib, always a TORnsib.

BrambleroseBrandybuck
The Shire

Dec 16 2009, 9:05pm

Post #8 of 9 (104 views)
Shortcut
Here's what I have [In reply to] Can't Post

I know you asked it to be posted in Tengwar, but if you put this into the site mentioned earlier, it will look how you want. Like I said, I haven't done this in a while, so if there are any errors, I apologize.

Quenya:
Er os i winca
Tás cé dar
Vinya men hya Muina Ando
Ar ómu rimvë
Alangienyë te
Aurë tuluva
Kyelvë yassë lelávan i furin
Vandar ye yurar
Númen i Ithil
Rómen i Anor

Literal translation:
Still about the corner
There may wait
(A) New road or Secret Gate
And although frequently
I have passed them
(A) Day will come
Finally when I will travel the hidden
Paths that run
West (of) the Moon
East (of) the Sun

This was rather hard, because there are some words that Tolkien never made. The word "os" for "about" and "dar" for "wait" came from the root words from the Etymologies. That's also how I had to create the words for "finally" and "frequently".

I hope this helps somehow.

Once a TORnsib, always a TORnsib.

Tim
Tol Eressea

Dec 17 2009, 6:44am

Post #9 of 9 (121 views)
Shortcut
Everything [In reply to] Can't Post

See I spelled it correctly. Sly

Roast beef, which is Swedish for beef that is roasted!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.