The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Journeys of Frodo

priell3
Lorien

Feb 20 2007, 5:30pm

Post #1 of 7 (4916 views)
Shortcut
Journeys of Frodo Can't Post

Anyone have this book? I ordered from Amazon. It is available on Ebay.

squire
Half-elven

Feb 20 2007, 5:55pm

Post #2 of 7 (4407 views)
Shortcut
It's quite interesting and well worth owning [In reply to] Can't Post

If you like to think of LotR in geographical terms. I prefer her cartographical style to Fonstad, though Fonstad's documentation of her research is worth the price of her book.

However, you have to take Strachey with a grain of salt: anything that she puts in (like contour lines, woods, etc.) that aren't from the book are her inventions, to give the maps a realistic look. Her guesses and additions are well-thought-out and consistent with what is written, mostly, but they are by no means authorized by Tolkien.

If you compare her contour lines (for instance) with real-world examples, though, you'll find that she portrays a very simplified landscape indeed, much the way Tolkien did.

That looks like a new printing. Is this a new edition, just out? I may have to get it myself. (Who did the cover art?)

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Footeramas: The 3rd TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

mawguy
The Shire

Feb 20 2007, 6:36pm

Post #3 of 7 (4362 views)
Shortcut
artist is geoff taylor [In reply to] Can't Post

this new edition came out with the release of the LOTR three-volume set by geoff taylor a few years ago. you can see his covers here: http://www.geofftaylor.btinternet.co.uk/gallerytolkien.html
click on the thumbnails to get the full cover -- kinda neat how he combined them.

"Alas for us all! And for all that walk the world in these after-days. For such is the way of it: to find and lose, as it seems to those whose boat is on the running stream. But I count you blessed, Gimli son of Glóin: for your loss you suffer of your own free will, and you might have chosen otherwise. But you have not forsaken your companions, and the least reward that you shall have is that the memory of Lothlórien shall remain ever clear and unstained in your heart, and shall neither fade nor grow stale."

(This post was edited by mawguy on Feb 20 2007, 6:37pm)

drogo
Lorien

Feb 20 2007, 7:10pm

Post #4 of 7 (4370 views)
Shortcut
It's a good book [In reply to] Can't Post

It is worth it, though as squire notes, there are some who quibble with some of Strachey's choices and she does take some liberties.

Fonstad's Atlas is perhaps the best map book on Tolkien, but the colors and the layout of the LOTR maps makes it more difficult to consult. Strachey's book is better if you want to follow the path of the Fellowship in more detail. Now Fonstad adds invaluable First Age maps of the battles of Beleriand, etc., so there is a lot of added value to her book if you want to go outside the LOTR geography.

(Formerly drogo of the two names!)

Penthe
Gondor

Feb 21 2007, 7:21am

Post #5 of 7 (4346 views)
Shortcut
Useful for the geographically challenged [In reply to] Can't Post

As a person who finds it very hard to visualise the journey across Middle-Earth (or the journey to the nearby shops for that matter) I found this book extremely handy. It really helped me figure out how the different bits of the journey fit together, rather than staring silently and hopelessly at the maps inside LOTR in despair.

priell3
Lorien

Feb 21 2007, 1:54pm

Post #6 of 7 (4321 views)
Shortcut
Journeys of Frodo [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks all. The feedback here generally reflects all of the positive reviews of this book
that I read on Amazon.

I like to refer to the maps as I read the books. This atlas should help.

priell3
Lorien

Feb 27 2007, 3:13pm

Post #7 of 7 (4702 views)
Shortcut
Got It [In reply to] Can't Post

The book arrived yesterday. While I have only skimmed through it, I am pretty impressed by the effort the author put in to it. I have been re-reading the trilogy and I'm up to ROTK - Minas Tirith.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.