Born of Hope (the film, not the trailers),,,
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Mark Sommer
Rivendell

Dec 4 2009, 3:54am

Post #26 of 53 (2062 views)
Shortcut
Spoiler-free Review on Examiner.com [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a review of the movie on Examiner.com. It is spoiler-free for those who have not yet seen the movie.

Here's the link: Born of Hope is first-rate film and great story

Mark Sommer
Hollywood Jesus The Hobbit Whole

(This post was edited by Mark Sommer on Dec 4 2009, 3:56am)

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Dec 4 2009, 4:37am

Post #27 of 53 (2124 views)
Shortcut
Watched it tonight [spoilers] [In reply to] Can't Post

I was impressed at how professionally it was done, considering it was the work of volunteers on a very modest budget.

Good stuff:
- The actor who played Arathorn did a great job. He filled the role with life and humor. (I guess they picked the guy who looked and acted most like Viggo Mortensen!)
- The music sounded great and wasn't too "filmic"
- Costuming was simple (appropriately, given the rustic lifestyle of the Dunedain) but effective.
- Excellent swords and jewelry. The circlets, rings, etc. were very well-designed.
- The orcs looked fantastic!
- Infant Aragorn is an actual infant. Toddler Aragorn was adorable. So was little Maia.
- Lovely cinematography! The opening sequence and snow scenes were especially beautiful.
- The movie did a thorough job of filling in the back story about this relationship
- The pencil drawings in the closing credits were a nice homage to the closing credits of the ROTK movie.
- Great casting overall.
- Not to mention that actual twins play Elladan and Elrohir (the Wonder Twins)
- Sindarin dialog nicely integrated with subtitles

Not so good stuff:
- I didn't find Gilraen particularly compelling and would have liked to see more of her conflict with her parents over marrying Arathorn. (Elgarain was much more interesting given her conflicted feelings about Arathorn and Gilraen.) She does have some lovely courtship scenes with Arathorn which redeem her character.
- Some of the plot seems a bit perfunctory, but then again, they were kind of locked into Tolkien's story
- [spoiler] Elgarain's death wasn't a surprise
- [spoiler] Neither was Dirhabon's
- [spoiler] No subtitles for Gilraen's final Sindarin dialog (the linnod from LOTR)

Pilot error:
- For some reason, I got the impression that the Orcs were looking for the One Ring, not the Ring of Barahir. Figured out my mistake a few minutes later.

With caffeine, all things are possible.

The pity of Bilbo will screw up the fate of many.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

(This post was edited by Silverlode on Dec 4 2009, 5:42am)

ArathornJax
Lorien

Dec 4 2009, 6:27am

Post #28 of 53 (2055 views)
Shortcut
Took Time Tonight [In reply to] Can't Post

I enjoyed it. For a fan film it is top notch. Did I get emotional, nope. Some spoilers to follow.

I like Idril I was quit able to predict who died and when.
Death scenes were sometimes lacking (due to budget I'm sure).
Gilraen wasn't what I expected but one thing that I like is she is cute enough but not a raving Holywood babe. Nice to see some natural beauty there.
The love triangle was not so much fun for me. Elgarain loves Arathorn, and Arathorn loves Gilraen you just can't win . . if your old enough to remember that song, it plays on a ton of cleaning commercials nows.
Arathorn must have had some good Orc scent disguise for them to take so long in smelling him out in the cave . . .

Christopher Dane did a marvelous job in his role as Arathorn.
Costumes and other items were outstanding (location and CGI was well done).
Orcs were a credit to detail.
Weapons were nice. I liked how the sons of Elrond used their bows more realistically here.
Dialogs were pretty well done and well written.
Nice seeing the director being in the film and the challenges that must have provided were overcome.
Length. An hour was just right to tell this story and in the time they took, they developed and delivered.
Movie gets you back into the Appendixes looking up stuff which is always a good thing.

I enjoyed it, would recommend it, and will watch it again with the two tweens.

" . . . (we are ) too engrossed in thinking of everything as a preparation or training or making one fit -- for what? At any minute it is what we are and are doing, not what we plan to be and do that counts."

J.R.R. Tolkien in his 6 October 1940 letter to his son Michael Tolkien.

We're discussing the BBC Radio Adaptation of The Hobbit over in The Hobbit Movie Thread.

Patty
Immortal

Dec 4 2009, 7:49am

Post #29 of 53 (2071 views)
Shortcut
I enjoyed your review too, Mark. n/t [In reply to] Can't Post

Permanent address: Into the West

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 4 2009, 3:09pm

Post #30 of 53 (2251 views)
Shortcut
Does Bard have a wife? [In reply to] Can't Post

It really isn't mentioned, but why not? So... it'd be so cool if Christopher Dane could be Bard and Kate Madison could be his Wife/Equal/Counterpart. It would be a great echo of the Aragorn/Arwen storyline.

I also wanted to add to my previous post that the closing credits are amazing!! I love how they followed the credits from RotK. Gorgeous!

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Annael
Immortal

Dec 5 2009, 2:00am

Post #31 of 53 (2044 views)
Shortcut
I agree. [In reply to] Can't Post

A thoroughly worthy prequel. I would buy it on DVD if I could!

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Mark Sommer
Rivendell

Dec 5 2009, 4:06am

Post #32 of 53 (2042 views)
Shortcut
Reply to Watched it tonight [spoilers] by Idril Celebrindal "Pilot error" [In reply to] Can't Post

Pilot error:
- For some reason, I got the impression that the Orcs were looking for the One Ring, not the Ring of Barahir. Figured out my mistake a few minutes later.

I got the same impression, but in the end I figured this was done on purpose. I was like, "Wait a minute, the Ring was lost. What are they going to do with this?" When I finally realized what was going on, I was impressed. It is like a well-written detective story getting you to think one way, and then pulling the rug out from under you!

Mark Sommer
Hollywood Jesus The Hobbit Whole
Check out my review of the new Fan Film, Born of Hope. Born of Hope is first-rate film and great story

(This post was edited by Mark Sommer on Dec 5 2009, 4:08am)

ltcdunk
Bree

Dec 5 2009, 4:07am

Post #33 of 53 (2065 views)
Shortcut
A long time coming.... [In reply to] Can't Post

but well worth the wait! Most excellent all the way around. I even got a bit teary eyed me-self. EVERYONE should watch this. I sure hope PJ calls Kate and gives her the kudos she deserves. Well done!

"Not all who wander are lost..."
http://www.pointystickproductions.com

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Dec 6 2009, 2:46am

Post #34 of 53 (2218 views)
Shortcut
Bravo .... minor spoilers [In reply to] Can't Post

Have been waiting for this one for a while and it turned out beautifully.

Have to snicker that the total cluelessness of Arathorn (and later PJ's Aragorn) when it comes to being aware that women have a crush on them.

Agree with other comments here that the Arathorn actor owned the movie.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com

GaladrielTX
Tol Eressea

Dec 7 2009, 1:46pm

Post #35 of 53 (1994 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved it, even though some posts in this thread spoiled some things for me. I even cried. This was really well made.

Where in the world did they find such good looking twin men? I presume on their budget they didn't do something like have the same actor play both parts and copy one of the performances into the film.

Kate Madison is as good an actress as she is a filmmaker. I hope to see more of her in both guises.

~~~~~~~~

The TORNsib formerly known as Galadriel.

WonderBroad
Lorien

Dec 7 2009, 3:55pm

Post #36 of 53 (2045 views)
Shortcut
Actual twins [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I loved it, even though some posts in this thread spoiled some things for me. I even cried. This was really well made.

Where in the world did they find such good looking twin men? I presume on their budget they didn't do something like have the same actor play both parts and copy one of the performances into the film.

Kate Madison is as good an actress as she is a filmmaker. I hope to see more of her in both guises.

Actual twin brothers who are both actors. If you go to YouTube, you can search "Born of Hope" and find the podcasts about the making of the movie. In one of them, you can see each twin's audition. It's in episode #4 of the podcasts.

Anorien
Rohan

Dec 7 2009, 11:13pm

Post #37 of 53 (1990 views)
Shortcut
So I've seen it 4 times already... [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought it was very professional and well executed. There was attention to detail in the settings, the costumes, and the dialogue. I greatly appreciated that they had it get darker when the orcs would come. Chistopher Dane was an excellent choice for Arathorn, he seemed to fit the role quite well. Personally, I would have switched the actors for Gilraen and Elgarain, but either way I thought they did an amazing job. Kate was my favorite, I loved her character, her acting, her costume, she did and amazing job! The last half of the story was my favorite, don't get me wrong I liked all of it, I just got more feeling from the last half. Unfortunately that was half where everyone dies. But it was well done and the entire film was well worth the wait. One of the best fan films I have seen so far!

The Lord of the Fellowship of the Return of the Two Towers of the Hobbit King of the Rings...with the Silmarillion!

Níniel
The Shire

Dec 7 2009, 11:52pm

Post #38 of 53 (2010 views)
Shortcut
sorry about that [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm kind of new here, so I'm not sure what constitutes a "spoiler." Thanks for the tip, though! :)

Tear Maiden

"To what shall I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the market places, who call out to the other children, and say, 'We played the flute for you, and you did not dance; we sang a dirge, and you did not mourn.' "
-Gospel of Matthew, ch. 11 v. 16,17

Tim
Tol Eressea

Dec 8 2009, 8:20pm

Post #39 of 53 (1968 views)
Shortcut
DailyMotion... [In reply to] Can't Post

... 196,000+ views so far on Daily Motion not bad at all.

How do you do that voodoo that you do so well?

WonderBroad
Lorien

Dec 8 2009, 8:28pm

Post #40 of 53 (1992 views)
Shortcut
YouTube this week, too. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's going up on YouTube this week, as well, from what I understand.

Patty
Immortal

Dec 9 2009, 2:42am

Post #41 of 53 (1953 views)
Shortcut
Wow. I wish I had one of those players that streams YouTube to your TV... [In reply to] Can't Post

seeing this on the TV would be so cool.

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Dec 9 2009, 4:19am

Post #42 of 53 (2057 views)
Shortcut
Our computer monitor is as big as our old TV ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... although that's not saying much these days! Sly

With caffeine, all things are possible.

The pity of Bilbo will screw up the fate of many.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Patty
Immortal

Dec 9 2009, 6:40pm

Post #43 of 53 (1973 views)
Shortcut
If I had a 22 inch computer monitor I might be satisfied. As it is... [In reply to] Can't Post

well, bigger IS better you know.Cool More especially since when I increase the size of the image I lose a lot of resolution.

WonderBroad
Lorien

Dec 9 2009, 9:28pm

Post #44 of 53 (1948 views)
Shortcut
Did you select "HD"? [In reply to] Can't Post

Are you selecting "HD," Patty? The Dailymotion player defaults to "HQ," but you want to click that button and then select HD from the pop-up menu. It looks a lot better.

Patty
Immortal

Dec 9 2009, 10:06pm

Post #45 of 53 (1945 views)
Shortcut
Question about that, Wonderbroad... [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought you had to have a high def monitor for that. I do have a fast connection, but no special monitor. But I do have a high def tv, and man, I'd love to see it on that.

WonderBroad
Lorien

Dec 9 2009, 10:19pm

Post #46 of 53 (1943 views)
Shortcut
Try the HD [In reply to] Can't Post

Try the HD, Patty, and I'll bet you'll see a difference in the resolution.

Patty
Immortal

Dec 9 2009, 10:59pm

Post #47 of 53 (1939 views)
Shortcut
Well, I sure will. I love this little movie... [In reply to] Can't Post

and will be pleased to see it look even better. Thank you, and I'll get back to you in a few days about the HD experiment.

Patty
Immortal

Dec 9 2009, 11:03pm

Post #48 of 53 (1999 views)
Shortcut
Me too, Annael. [In reply to] Can't Post

I do have Peril to the Shire, and it's right up there with my other Tolkien adaptations in "pride of place". I'd love to have this and Hunt 4 Gollum, too. Maybe someday...

Larewen
Lorien

Dec 11 2009, 7:49pm

Post #49 of 53 (1965 views)
Shortcut
Finally got to see it [In reply to] Can't Post

Well worth watching! Looking forward to watching it again.

WonderBroad
Lorien

Dec 14 2009, 12:50am

Post #50 of 53 (1978 views)
Shortcut
Now available at ExposureRoom.com [In reply to] Can't Post

Born of Hope is now available here: http://exposureroom.com/...a17bf5c0a4436262e97/

This link has the complete movie with the sync issues fixed and the entire credits now available.

Make sure to select "HD" for best viewing. It looks really good!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.