The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
CBS cancels "As The World Turns"...

diedye
Grey Havens

Dec 8 2009, 5:41pm

Post #1 of 8 (117 views)
Shortcut
CBS cancels "As The World Turns"... Can't Post

Whoa... now there's a shocker... first "Guiding Light" and now this...

*shaking fist*

Reality shows be damned! Mad

Blessed are the cracked,
For they are the ones who let in the light!

Patty
Immortal

Dec 8 2009, 8:14pm

Post #2 of 8 (104 views)
Shortcut
And about time, too. [In reply to] Can't Post

I watched those shows when I was 40 years younger. It was time they were retired.

Permanent address: Into the West

diedye
Grey Havens

Dec 8 2009, 9:19pm

Post #3 of 8 (99 views)
Shortcut
:P ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... Sorry, but I have to disagree. They're a good distraction from all the dumb-a@@ reality shows and vapid daytime talk shows that plague the airwaves. If I want reality, I'll just stick my head out the window and watch my neighbors' drama unfolding. (No thanks.)

Blessed are the cracked,
For they are the ones who let in the light!

Patty
Immortal

Dec 9 2009, 3:19am

Post #4 of 8 (54 views)
Shortcut
Oh, I'm not a reality show fan either! [In reply to] Can't Post

and a lot of why I watch fantasy shows is to "escape" from some of the battles of too much reality.Crazy

Permanent address: Into the West

Tim
Tol Eressea

Dec 9 2009, 3:29am

Post #5 of 8 (54 views)
Shortcut
Yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

... whenever my faith in humanity begins to return, all I have to do is watch any reality show for about 3 minutes and *poof* it's gone again!

How do you do that voodoo that you do so well?

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 9 2009, 11:51am

Post #6 of 8 (50 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure what encompasses reality shows [In reply to] Can't Post

I mean, there are talk shows, tabloid talk shows, games shows, competition shows...

Aren't they all a form of reality shows? At least in terms of how programming is moving in new directions in broadcast tv. It is cheaper to pay 'real' people to do something than to pay actors.

I certainly think Jerry Springer, et. al. is a scourge on civilization. But reality also encompasses So You Think You Can Dance and Amazing Race... two of my favorite shows.

The only daytime tv I watch is court shows (another form of reality). Some are pretty sensational but I love watching People's Court with Marilyn Milian. I don't think there's anything in there to make one lose faith in humanity that you can't find in a soap opera.

I grew up watching soaps and watched them into the early 80's. I don't knock anyone who does watch them but I found, after a while, that it just took way too long for anything to happen to suit my taste and I stopped. Apparently other people did too. If I really want to sit down and watch something during the day, and Marilyn isn't on... (Or Judy... I like Judy too) then I pop in a DVD or, more recently, stream something on Netflix. I've pretty much abandoned all daytime tv... soaps or no.

I get that people will miss their soaps but it doesn't quite work for me to say that there's something more redeeming about soap operas than other forms of tv. If I compare it to some of the alternatives around here... Is it more redeeming than the news? than Jeopardy?... than Who Wants to be a Millionaire?.... than People's Court?... than Martha Stewart?... than Cheers or Roseanne reruns?... Than America's Funniest Home Videos?

Reality is killing a lot of things because it's cheap to produce. And a lot of reality is crap in multiple ways. But not all. (IMO) And any discerning criteria I would apply to reality would get applied to soaps and the soaps wouldn't come out that great.

In the last few months, I've seen a big shift in my tv watching habits. I don't have cable and when I watch cable in hotel rooms I'm not sure why I should get it. But on broadcast tv, the only shows I look forward to are reality. I tune in (when they're on) to Amazing Race, So You Think You Can Dance, and Survivor. If I can catch them, I'll pay attention to the Mentalist and Castle. Law and Order is tired. CSI is tired and I'm tired of blood and gore. LOST is a night time soap (IMO) that takes forever to move any plot element. Fringe... stopped watching when the head exploded. I tune out for serial killer plots. What's left. Oh... Glee. I watch Glee and think it's cute and okay.

Otherwise... I stream Netflix or get the DVDs by mail. I predict broadcast tv will be lost to us as a viable medium in the next decade.

LOTR soundtrack website
Torn Image Posting Guide
magpie avatar gallery

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Dec 9 2009, 2:06pm

Post #7 of 8 (49 views)
Shortcut
We pretty much only watch dvds, now too. [In reply to] Can't Post

We do have Direct TV, and recently we received a note from them saying that we were being hooked up with ShowTime channels, about 6 of them, for free since we were such long-time customers. Well, we've had that free ShowTime for about a month and have yet to watch anything. We also got it last year for 3 months and couldn't find anything to watch then. Mostly we have Direct TV for the sports and news channels.

I used to watch As The World Turns with my grandma, around 35 or so years ago. I saw the rise of Meg Ryan as well as Julianne Moore, too. But, I do think soaps have run their course. I got hooked on Days of Our Lives in college, but haven't watched it in about 12 years. I happened to turn it on the other day, and the same stories were still playing out. Bo and Hope were on the verge of breaking up (again); Victor was causing trouble (again); and Sami was conniving (again). I even remember when Sami was born on the show, then went away, then returned as a chubby teen, then lost weight, then became the show's bad girl. Oy, that one needs to retire, too. Crazy

And suddenly the Ainur saw afar off a light, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame.

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 13 2009, 3:35am

Post #8 of 8 (42 views)
Shortcut
lol [In reply to] Can't Post

Bo and Hope were on the verge of breaking up (again); Victor was causing trouble (again); and Sami was conniving (again).

I just looked it up. Days of our Lives started in 1965. I was 13 and that must have been when my mom started watching it. Because I remember seeing it when I was quite young.

Remember seeing this soap in Close Encounters of the Third Kind?

LOTR soundtrack website
Torn Image Posting Guide
magpie avatar gallery

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.