Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
****FOTR EE APPENDICES DISCUSSION: Filming: Production Photos****(part 3)

OhioHobbit
Gondor

Dec 3 2009, 12:18pm

Post #1 of 9 (299 views)
Shortcut
****FOTR EE APPENDICES DISCUSSION: Filming: Production Photos****(part 3) Can't Post

Back again. My subject today is FILMING. I kind of look on these like someone’s home movies or personal photo album. Captured memories of moments past.

This foggy scene really does look like a dim memory. I wish that we could have seen more of the Prolog. I wish that we could have seen more of the filming of the Prolog.

Another Kodak moment. Just another day at work out of very, very many. This is getting to be a very long time ago.

I have become very aware of crane shots anymore. Anytime I see one, I try to imagine what it must look like from off to the side, watching the shot being filmed, like in this picture.

I think that this is a really cool picture. Any chance to see Frodo’s bedroom is good, especially that bed. But, this shot of Frodo, face to face with that camera, is great. Just how hard is it to act when you are supposed to be talking to someone, but instead you are staring into a camera lens?

I always love to see shots of someone using a steady-cam, ever since I learned what one is. It makes me feel so knowledgeable to say, “Ah, a steady-cam.” I wonder if the guy in back is guiding the cameraman backwards.

Isn’t this picture absolutely gorgeous, even with a guy sitting on a camera crane in it? I tried to think of more to say about this one, but it pretty much leaves me speechless, and that’s a rare thing!

I hope that you enjoyed this little trip down memory lane. Three down, one more to go. Any thoughts?

Movie Technical Discussion -- Index

weaver
Half-elven

Dec 3 2009, 2:52pm

Post #2 of 9 (189 views)
Shortcut
cameras everywhere! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think had I not watched the appendices and discussed them here, seeing these shots with the cameras in them would take away a bit of the magic of the film -- like peeking behind the curtain too much, you know?

But once you hear the stories and come to appreciate the challenges, the personalities, the above and beyond effort, the cameras and crew start to feel like part of the story, rather than a disruption of it...or at least, the story told from a particular point of view.

I don't know how actors act to cameras and not people -- but I guess that's what makes them actors and not me.

That shot of Viggo and Liv is beautiful, I agree. There was a longtime poster around here that I conversed with often (Merryk); she really struggled with a lot of the film changes, the bridge shot, however, was one she really loved.

Weaver

OhioHobbit
Gondor

Dec 3 2009, 7:31pm

Post #3 of 9 (177 views)
Shortcut
The blending of the two. [In reply to] Can't Post

the cameras and crew start to feel like part of the story

For me, the movies and the making of the movies have kind of blended into one thing. It’s kind of hard to explain, really, but I think that you know what I mean.

Acting with your nose against a camera lens – I guess that is why they get paid the biggy bucks.

Interesting about Merryk. I think that the scene on the bridge is one of my very favorite “movie paintings”. I had that as my PC wallpaper for a very long time. I was a bit surprised to find that it looks so good from behind the scenes as well.

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Dec 3 2009, 9:04pm

Post #4 of 9 (231 views)
Shortcut
These are great! [In reply to] Can't Post

In the image of Elijah and Gandalf, I love seeing Ian's wig all pulled back. I really enjoy shots like these, where the actors off camera have their cloaks off, their wigs tied back, or their hems pinned up. And that last shot of Aragorn and Arwen... wow. That's just a great shot. It looks just like it did in the movie... except for that guy with the camera Cool

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

Screencap of the Day will be on hiatus until after the New Year.

debo
Rohan

Dec 4 2009, 12:54am

Post #5 of 9 (162 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the post!! [In reply to] Can't Post

One of my favourite behind the scenes is of Andrew the DOP in his polo armour for the final battle!!

Frodo; "What I chiefly need now is courage . . ."

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 4 2009, 2:20am

Post #6 of 9 (195 views)
Shortcut
Steady [on] cam as I crane my neck for a better shot! [In reply to] Can't Post

Isn't it amazing what they do to get the shot!? That one with the cameraman on the crane to get the closeup shot of Aragorn and Arwen on the bridge is really something! Same with Elijah totally unaffected by that big glass eye up in his face! When I think of the closeup shots in so much of these films, I admit that I really didn't consider what they went through to get it. Frodo on the shore of Parth Galen holding the Ring, here in Rivendell with the camera so close as he wakes up that you can almost count the hairs on the end of his nose, and then there's Aragorn and Arwen's eyes on that bridge. For these players to act with those machines right in their faces and at least a few people standing around really says a lot for their talent and concentration.

Then the steady-cam. What a setup! Yeah, they would need someone to guide the filmer when he's going in reverse or even side-to-side. It's like walking with your eyes closed; but in this case, it's one eye open and stuck in an eye-guard for the camera!

One of my pet-peeves now is when the camera is being jerked around to create "realism". It's almost ruined Bourne Identity III with the constant jiggling... especially when the shots should be stagnant. It actually makes me motion-sick trying to watch it.

Now... on to the flying fox? I think that's what they called it :)

Well Done!!! Thanks ooodles!

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

OhioHobbit
Gondor

Dec 4 2009, 1:41pm

Post #7 of 9 (155 views)
Shortcut
What guy with the camera? ; ) // [In reply to] Can't Post

OhioHobbit
Gondor

Dec 4 2009, 1:45pm

Post #8 of 9 (157 views)
Shortcut
Here you go. [In reply to] Can't Post

OhioHobbit
Gondor

Dec 4 2009, 2:06pm

Post #9 of 9 (190 views)
Shortcut
Big glass eye [In reply to] Can't Post

When I think of the closeup shots in so much of these films, I admit that I really didn't consider what they went through to get it.

Sometimes, when Alcarcalime and I are watching some big emotional scene with a close-up, I will turn and say, “You know that person is staring into a camera lens.” I’m bad. Evil
Not LOTR, though. Some things are sacred!

One of my pet-peeves now is when the camera is being jerked around to create "realism".

Is that what they are trying to create? It seems to be the “in thing” in filming these days and I absolutely detest it. Some might say that it is my advanced age. I think not.

Flying fox! Gee, I love terminology! Smile

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.