Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
****FOTR EE APPENDICES DISCUSSION: Filming: Production Photos****(part 2)

OhioHobbit
Gondor

Dec 2 2009, 12:23pm

Post #1 of 15 (610 views)
Shortcut
****FOTR EE APPENDICES DISCUSSION: Filming: Production Photos****(part 2) Can't Post

Welcome to Production Photos part 2. Today’s theme is DRESSED TO KILL. Following are a few production photos of the darker side of fashion.

It is always so boring to stand around while your armor is being worked on. It would be nice if they would just give you a loaner so that you could at least go out and get your chores done while it’s being worked on. But, no, there you stand while they try to figure out what is wrong.

It is a dog-eat-dog environment at the office and the young executive needs to learn how to dress for success. There is an entire science of shirt colors and power ties that will determine your place in the pecking order.

You know Fred; there was a time when I went to a barber instead of a stylist. Ah, the smell of the cologne, the sound of the scissors, the guy to guy small talk. It just isn’t the same any more.

Clothes and accessories mean nothing if the makeup isn’t correct. This black lip gloss suits you very well. (I think that they had better count their fingers when they’re done.)

Well, this was a short one, but there will be more tomorrow (not quite so silly). As always, I welcome any thoughts you might have. Smile

Movie Technical Discussion -- Index

weaver
Half-elven

Dec 2 2009, 3:52pm

Post #2 of 15 (443 views)
Shortcut
Uruks in power ties -- ha! [In reply to] Can't Post

...and "count your fingers"...double ha!

You've outdone yourself on this one, Ohio Hobbit -- nicely captured and captioned images, all of them!.

Shots like this do take away some of the glamour of film making, don't they -- so much time is spent just of standing around, waiting for the party to start, trying not to get your Uruk armor (or ranger garb or elven cloak) wrinkled...

Lots of unsung heroes and heroines in these films...I wonder if any of the extras can tell where they are in the final shots...I imagine they look for themselves, I know I would!

Thanks for another fun installment...

Weaver

OhioHobbit
Gondor

Dec 3 2009, 1:39am

Post #3 of 15 (465 views)
Shortcut
The glamour of film making. [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, there is a lot of drudgery to film making. Just ask any extra. I think that is one reason that so much craziness goes on. But I think that just as a lot of artist and technical people had a passion to work on The Lord of the Rings, a lot of actors, stunt people, doubles, and extras had a passion for these films, also. I can’t imagine being able to say that I was in LOTR. Heck, I would have settled for the back half of Bill the Pony!

squire
Half-elven

Dec 3 2009, 1:58am

Post #4 of 15 (531 views)
Shortcut
I hate to tell you [In reply to] Can't Post

That the guys who played Bill the Pony were hardly the least of technical experts in the film - so it's actually not a good example of how "any of us" could have found a way to be involved with those films.

James Sorensen (front half) had worked in his field for over 40 years, creating characters as diverse as Silver (1959), Mr. Ed (1964), and Francis the Talking Mule (1991 remake). This was his last feature role, by the way. He commented that it was a relief not to have a speaking part for once. Hong Kui (back half) as usual got even less respect and recognition than "Oats" Sorensen, but did an amazing job in Fellowship, just as he has with numerous horses' asses, mules' asses, pony's asses, and ass's asses in Hollywood, Bollywood, and Taiwanese cinema for the past 30 years. Ironically, as a talented teenage puppeteer he was "discovered" by Francis Ford Coppolla in the 1970s, for a part in The Godfather (1972) that unfortunately (as all so often) was cut from the final film in favor of, yes, the character (the head) played by Mr. Sorensen!

Peter Jackson and Barrie Osbourne both comment in the relevant EE feature that they were stunned to be able to get "Oats" and Kui to come to New Zealand and work for scale. Turns out both men, at the top of their profession, were also "Ringers"! So although you would have had no chance getting the role of Bill (back half) -- you're certainly right about the role "passion" played among the non-star performers.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 3 2009, 2:28am

Post #5 of 15 (513 views)
Shortcut
Times like these [In reply to] Can't Post

I wish TORN still had the modding function!

*mods up*

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

OhioHobbit
Gondor

Dec 3 2009, 7:28pm

Post #6 of 15 (464 views)
Shortcut
Do you realize. . . [In reply to] Can't Post

how very depressing that is? Surely, if I had been in the right place at the right time, I could have found myself working on The Lord of the Rings. Maybe in a technical capacity? No, beyond my scope. Maybe a stunt double or stand-in? No, no experience, no talent. Maybe an extra? Not good looking enough to be an elf or a Gondorian, not homely enough for The Prancing Pony, not chubby enough to be a Hobbit, and not skinny enough to be an Orc. I know! How about the back end of Bill the Pony? No? Oh.

Seriously though, thanks for the information. I didn’t know any of that. I thought that I had seen somewhere that Bill the Pony had been played by two young women. That is a fascinating story about James Sorensen and Hong Kui. Gee, talk about being specialized in your trade!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 4 2009, 12:00am

Post #7 of 15 (461 views)
Shortcut
My dear OhioHobbit... [In reply to] Can't Post

You are not the only one who "didn't know any of that" - no one else in the world did, either! Laugh

Ah, yes, 'tis another fine specimen of "being squired". Wink

*mods up also*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

debo
Rohan

Dec 4 2009, 12:51am

Post #8 of 15 (415 views)
Shortcut
Interesting photos thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

Frodo; "What I chiefly need now is courage . . ."

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 4 2009, 1:09am

Post #9 of 15 (462 views)
Shortcut
eeeeee-hawwwww! [In reply to] Can't Post

My dear squire. If the chance ever arose, I'd consider it a honour to be "the pony" to your "Bill" and follow you to the ends of the earth... as long as you promise to lay off the beans.

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 4 2009, 1:28am

Post #10 of 15 (459 views)
Shortcut
Richard Taylor better watch [In reply to] Can't Post

where he sticks his fingers. I hear Uruks are partial to "digit"al man-flesh ;)

I can't even begin to figure how many hours and hours were spent just waiting for makeup... then cue for filming... then having the makeup removed. Wow! Probably 5 hours of makeup to 2 hours of filming some days.

*snigger* They really have taken dress-down Friday's to a new height!

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

OhioHobbit
Gondor

Dec 4 2009, 1:35pm

Post #11 of 15 (451 views)
Shortcut
squired! [In reply to] Can't Post

Ah, a venerable TORn tradition!
It is always an honor to be squired! Wink

OhioHobbit
Gondor

Dec 4 2009, 1:36pm

Post #12 of 15 (406 views)
Shortcut
Thank you, debo. // [In reply to] Can't Post

OhioHobbit
Gondor

Dec 4 2009, 1:38pm

Post #13 of 15 (417 views)
Shortcut
You know. . . [In reply to] Can't Post

They are actually getting paid just to be living canvases for the makeup artist. Filming is just a ruse! Wink

weaver
Half-elven

Dec 5 2009, 12:36am

Post #14 of 15 (447 views)
Shortcut
he almost had me, too... [In reply to] Can't Post

.. I almost went to Wikipedia to look up "Oats" Sorenson!

Oh well, if you're going to be squired, at least you got squired by an especially inspired squire-ism -- one of his best!

Weaver

OhioHobbit
Gondor

Dec 5 2009, 2:19am

Post #15 of 15 (462 views)
Shortcut
You have to admit. . . [In reply to] Can't Post

He’s good! He’s very good!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.