First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Patty
Immortal

Dec 1 2009, 8:27pm

Post #1 of 53 (3988 views)
Shortcut
Born of Hope (the film, not the trailers),,, Can't Post

Words fail me.

This is just so very professional--it is not a "fan film"..

The acting was absolutely top notch, as were the sets, and the costumes and the music. But all that would have failed if the story/dialogue hadn't worked. But it did --brilliantly.

Kate--it was a long time coming. But your production is absolutely top notch. Thank you so much for this gift!

Permanent address: Into the West

priell3
Lorien

Dec 1 2009, 9:21pm

Post #2 of 53 (3343 views)
Shortcut
I agree with Patty [In reply to] Can't Post

This film did not disappoint. Everything about it was top notch.

I viewed it at work and intend to watch it again later this evening.

Great work Kate and crew!

Patty
Immortal

Dec 1 2009, 10:12pm

Post #3 of 53 (3362 views)
Shortcut
It is worthy of being cannon.. [In reply to] Can't Post

IMHO.

(This post was edited by Patty on Dec 1 2009, 10:12pm)

WonderBroad
Lorien

Dec 2 2009, 2:49am

Post #4 of 53 (3370 views)
Shortcut
Finally! [In reply to] Can't Post

Finally arrived home from work and got to watch Born of Hope. It is stunning.

Hey, the rest of you TORNados! Get over to the web site and watch it! Methinks you will feel the same.

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Dec 2 2009, 5:39am

Post #5 of 53 (3325 views)
Shortcut
It was *awesome* [In reply to] Can't Post

I wrote an overly-long review in my LJ. All in all, I was very pleased with few quibbles, especially considering that this was all a labor of love.

It's really a pity that the FanArt boards does not get as much traffic as Main, because I would love to hear everyone else's thoughts and not too many people come here. Anyways, that film gets a huge seal of approval from me. Well done to the whole team.

My LiveJournal ~ My artwork and photography ~ My LOTR fan fiction

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

Patty
Immortal

Dec 2 2009, 6:16am

Post #6 of 53 (3311 views)
Shortcut
I really agree, Ainu Laire... [In reply to] Can't Post

and I would have posted this on main, but it seems to me I posted something about one of the fan films on Main and it was moved here.
I think this transcends "fan art".

Tim
Tol Eressea

Dec 2 2009, 8:16am

Post #7 of 53 (3310 views)
Shortcut
I give it 8 out of 10 stars. [In reply to] Can't Post

The dialogue was just a tad repetitive about hope (which of course leads into Aragorn's Elven name). Other than that, I found it entertaining and entirely plausible. I really felt like I was there, hangin' with the remnants of Arnor - all glory gone, men and women trying to scrape out a living, with the always-coming-back-being-a-threat Sauron messing up the works as he had done so often in the past. It's also a reminder of what could have easily happened to Aragorn had things not worked out as they did. The Dunedain, whilst tough and long-lived, are after all mortal and fallible.

I liked the guy they picked for Arathorn. He had the charisma while at the same time looking like a normal guy and not some Hollywood genetic product. The whole cast felt real. My personal preference - I would have switched the actresses of Gilraen and Elgarain, but that's just a personal thing about appearance (I prefer darker-haired women) - both did a great job with their roles.

I like that they kept things cloudy - 'cause I had a problem with orcs being about during the day. It would have been entirely too dreary to have all the orc action at night though.

Um, yeah that's all that comes to mind at the moment. It's my bed time and my brain is insisting that shutting down is a good thing. Smile

Thanks for inviting me to the conversation Patty.

Shop smart! Shop... S Mart!

WonderBroad
Lorien

Dec 2 2009, 12:52pm

Post #8 of 53 (3329 views)
Shortcut
Maybe we can do this... [In reply to] Can't Post

Looks like many on the Main Board do not know what they are missing!

Maybe if we post enough here, they'll see the numbers piling up for messages, and they'll click on the Fan Board out of curiosity. And then go watch the movie!

merklynn
Lorien

Dec 2 2009, 6:38pm

Post #9 of 53 (3310 views)
Shortcut
My little review... [In reply to] Can't Post

This is definitely the highest quality fan film I've ever seen and my wife agreed. It was even better than the Hunt for Gollum in production. Some of the special effects were close to par with big budget feature films and blended well without distracting from the scene. Most of the acting was excellent. I'm being very honest in saying that. However, Christopher Dane was head and shoulders the star of the film. This guy looked the part and managed to be the part. Honestly, I enjoyed his performance a lot and he deserves recognition. Perhaps Del Toro could give him the role of Bard! LOL. Seriously, I think he should be in The Hobbit film.

It seems petty for me to pick at anything about such an impressive production, although my one niggle is that the plot felt more of a chronicle of events than a gripping drama. The suspense and hooks (those questions that a story causes the audience to ask and keep interested throughout) were spread thin. It might have benefited from an extra layer, particularly in the sub plot of Elgarain and her infatuation / love for Arathorn. More could have been done with that and next to Arathorn she is easily the next most interesting character, followed by Dirhaborn. Other than that, I didn't find the rest of the cast of characters particularly memorable or interesting. Still, as a fan, I enjoyed the film even if it felt more like a reality / slice of life than a compellingly structured drama.

The romance aspect was well handled and had such a dominant part in the first half of the story. The scenes with Arathorn and Gilraen were believable and sweet. If only some of the story could have taken place in Imladris rather than the brief end scene. Obviously budget limitations prevented this.

Overall, this is actually an amazing piece of work by all involved. I thought The Hunt for Gollum was the best fan film I'd seen, but this one pushed the bar even higher. I hope that it leads to good things for all those involved and I hope plenty of people discover this gem.

I am embarking on a journey to become an extra in The Hobbit films. My journey shall be chronicled here at TheOneRing.net in these forums. You'll hear the story of my successes and failures as I try to get a walk on or minor role. Contact rod.hannah@gmail.com

GaladrielTX
Tol Eressea

Dec 2 2009, 6:42pm

Post #10 of 53 (3283 views)
Shortcut
Would you provide a link, s'il vous plait? / [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~~~

The TORNsib formerly known as Galadriel.

Patty
Immortal

Dec 2 2009, 6:42pm

Post #11 of 53 (3284 views)
Shortcut
Well said, Merklynn.. [In reply to] Can't Post

and yes, Chris Dane for Bard!

WonderBroad
Lorien

Dec 2 2009, 7:05pm

Post #12 of 53 (3286 views)
Shortcut
Here's the link to Dailymotion [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's the link: http://www.dailymotion.com/BornofHope

Níniel
The Shire

Dec 2 2009, 7:08pm

Post #13 of 53 (3270 views)
Shortcut
I'd be glad to :) [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.bornofhope.com/Watch.html

I just watched it yesterday, and I can hardly keep myself from watching it again!!! I can't believe how good it is! I agree with all the others who posted, it's incredibly professional, the scripting and story work really well, and you just feel like you're there. I would even go so far as to say that I felt this movie kept much more closely with the spirit of Tolkien than the PJ LotR movies (shoot me if you like!). Arathorn was in fact a hero, not an odd mixture of conflict. Loyalty and honor were obvious themes, as they should be! In short, the movie was fantastic!

Tear Maiden

"To what shall I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the market places, who call out to the other children, and say, 'We played the flute for you, and you did not dance; we sang a dirge, and you did not mourn.' "
-Gospel of Matthew, ch. 11 v. 16,17

Twit
Lorien

Dec 2 2009, 8:07pm

Post #14 of 53 (3274 views)
Shortcut
wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

That film is amazing. There were a few nit-picky things, [matalan inspired sheepskin gilets anyone?] but you know what, I don't care, they all did an amazing job and did better imo than many multi-million £/$ films.

I totally agree that Arathorn was well cast - even down to the occasional Kermit voice, and I would be chuffed for him if he was in The Hobbit.

Patty
Immortal

Dec 2 2009, 8:37pm

Post #15 of 53 (3268 views)
Shortcut
Who are you calling silver plate? [In reply to] Can't Post

Sly

Wonderbroad has posted the link--now let us know what you think, GalTX. And a hug to your ole' man!

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Dec 2 2009, 8:54pm

Post #16 of 53 (3289 views)
Shortcut
I can't say I wouldn't mind [In reply to] Can't Post

He is definitely a wonderful actor. I hope he finds some big work soon.

NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

silneldor
Half-elven

Dec 3 2009, 5:54am

Post #17 of 53 (3257 views)
Shortcut
I just saw the film, [In reply to] Can't Post

and i was amazed with the seriousness and raw energy that i felt. I also felt, a true devotion to the untold story (in film) of that tenuous struggle of a dark time. We have a wonderful window now of a piece of history in the visual.

I thought the actors and actresses were wholeheartedly compelled to bring their character to life and they were wonderfully well casted as well. They felt right.The music was quite wonderful. And the costumes of all, were every bit of believable.

On a lighter note, i enjoyed the woodland set. The beauty of the beeches and the sounds of the forest, even with loons was delightful.

''Sam put his ragged orc-cloak under his master's head, and covered them both with the grey robe of Lorien; and as he did so his thoughts went out to that fair land, and to the Elves, and he hoped that the cloth woven by their hands might have some virtue to keep them hidden beyond all hope in this wilderness of fear...But their luck held, and for the rest of that day they met no living or moving thing; and when night fell they vanished into the darkess of Mordor.'' - - -rotk, chapter III

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo

Nimloth
Lorien

Dec 3 2009, 7:07am

Post #18 of 53 (3243 views)
Shortcut
Wow!! [In reply to] Can't Post

That was absolutely fantastic! I can't believe how engrossed I got and how emotional I felt when Arathorn died - I cried Evil. The acting was brilliant, the settings were beautiful. The music worked well alongside the storyline and the costumes looked authentic. I loved the jewellery. I'm going to watch it again as I'm sure I will pick up things missed the first time round just like Lord of the Rings Smile. I loved this film, it was well worth the wait. Thankyou.

Why isn't this on TORN's front page?

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Dec 3 2009, 7:53am

Post #19 of 53 (3254 views)
Shortcut
It was on November 30th [In reply to] Can't Post

But if I see any reviews about it, I'll send them in to the Spymaster- this film should be seen, hands down.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 3 2009, 6:40pm

Post #20 of 53 (3246 views)
Shortcut
Bravo! Well done!! [a few minor spoilers] [In reply to] Can't Post

I love this film! I completely agree with those who have said Arathorn (Christopher Dane) would make a good Bard. He was wonderful! He bears enough of a resemblance to Viggo's Aragorn that they really could be related.

Great attention was paid to how Shore uses his music, because I found so much of this film's music followed his lead. Splendid!!

The Orcs were awesome! My very first geeky twinge of them was how they came out from the trees onto the road from here, and there, one at a time... not in a massive hoard like we're used to. And the choreography of the fight scenes were flawless. The weaponry… the thatched cottages… the costuming… I mean, most of the wigs were so natural! I also very much appreciated that when the village was attacked, there wasn't a lot of screaming by the women/villagers. It was like they all knew what to do and just did it. The men formed a line of defense, the women bolted themselves in with the children… just what descendants of the king and those living on the edge of constant danger would do. They lived as free and happy as they could, but knew it could be gone in an instant.

And I love the story within the story. I got goosebumps when Halbarad was playing with infant Aragorn and cried, "I claim this field in the name of the King!" So many details like that were woven throughout the story. I was just sitting there shaking my head. Wonderful!

I do have to say that my two favourite characters were Christopher Dane's Arathorn and Kate Madison's Elgarain. Their effortless portrayals of these memorable characters always gave the story believability. She knew Arathorn so well and he valued her very good counsel. I knew her story would be what it was, but I still hoped her heart could rest with Dirhaborn. *sigh* I'm glad he said the words in time…

And The Brothers! WOW!! What wonderful choices! They were everything I had ever imagined them to be. I'm SO happy they were in the story!

The screenplay was thick with references both of the hints of the story we've been shown before and developed with very logical assumptions of the series of events.

The story was closed with Gilraen's prophetic words about their son. I was teary by then. So well done… brilliant!
*applause* Thank you!

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Patty
Immortal

Dec 3 2009, 6:46pm

Post #21 of 53 (3233 views)
Shortcut
I was waiting for your response, Gramma... [In reply to] Can't Post

I knew you'd love it!

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Dec 3 2009, 8:43pm

Post #22 of 53 (3335 views)
Shortcut
I've seen the first seven minutes or so [In reply to] Can't Post

At which point it stops playing and I am unable to get it going again.

It looked promising for a fan-fic though, I'll keep trying when I have the time to spare!

Níniel
The Shire

Dec 3 2009, 10:17pm

Post #23 of 53 (3217 views)
Shortcut
I cried, too [In reply to] Can't Post

I think twice - when Elgaraen died, and when Arathorn died. And I could probably count on one hand the times I've cried in movies.

Tear Maiden

"To what shall I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the market places, who call out to the other children, and say, 'We played the flute for you, and you did not dance; we sang a dirge, and you did not mourn.' "
-Gospel of Matthew, ch. 11 v. 16,17

WonderBroad
Lorien

Dec 3 2009, 11:37pm

Post #24 of 53 (3212 views)
Shortcut
Make sure to indicate spoilers! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey, guys, make sure, if you're going to give spoilers, to warn others of it first, so they can avoid them, if they wish.

Thanks!

Mark Sommer
Rivendell

Dec 4 2009, 3:47am

Post #25 of 53 (3202 views)
Shortcut
Great review [In reply to] Can't Post

...of a great movie.
I, too, had trouble with the Sauron thing, but Peter Jackson messed with the chronology so much that this doesn't really hurt the film. And who's to say the report doesn't get to Elrond and is why they take action (in this version of the story)? Smile

Mark Sommer
Hollywood Jesus The Hobbit Whole

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.