Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
PJ: "No green light yet"
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

almas_sparks
Rohan

Nov 30 2009, 4:39pm

Post #26 of 60 (1024 views)
Shortcut
Actors drop from movies all the time [In reply to] Can't Post

For exmaple, Nicole Kidman is notorious for being attached to many projects only to drop out when production time comes. If an actor wants out of one movie to get into another, his team takes care that he does. Besides, if they already have some cast ready (but unannounced) those actors know that filming 2 movies back to back is a year-long commitment. So it really doesn`t make too much difference whether production starts in March or two-three months later. Half of 2010 and 2011 have always been reserved for The Hobbit. Now they can do another movie before The Hobbit.

olipowell
Bree

Nov 30 2009, 4:48pm

Post #27 of 60 (995 views)
Shortcut
Yeh I'm well aware of that [In reply to] Can't Post

BUT...

I think we can all agree that actors involved in LOTR and potentially The Hobbit too are real 'actors' actors. not stars like Nicole Kidman where their 'star' is of the equivalent size or importance as the projects they are in. Not to say anything about those or Nicole Kidman (as I actually quite like her) but not all actors are going to drop another project they are passionate about just because something bigger comes along. Some people actually have some semblance of artistic integrity. My earlier example, James McAvoy, I think being one of those people. He does projects for very specific reasons I think...and generally I think the cast of LOTR were the same. Viggo for example does projects he wants to and not purely as his people tell him he should...

Plus I think we must account for the fact that I'm talking about people who had projects that start in Jan/Feb of 2010, and there are several who were being named. James, Tom Hollander etc...

(This post was edited by olipowell on Nov 30 2009, 4:50pm)

Sunflower
Valinor

Nov 30 2009, 5:07pm

Post #28 of 60 (960 views)
Shortcut
Yes, with all due respect, Almas.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I have been follwing the Oscars for a LONG time (see my post in the DIstrict 9 thread in OT), both having watched the telecast for over 20 yrs, and read a number of books and websites on the subject, including Nikki Finke';s site, for yrs. In recvent yrs all films except Gladiator were rerleased in the fall/winter. The Oscar race was an extremelyclose one in 2001, at rhe last minute it became close. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was crowned the de facto winner that year, having swept the Guilds and the awards organizations, and by the time they reached the Voting stage, the ranl and fuile in the Academy were panicked that a Chinese/Hong Kong film was going to win BP< so they were relived they had an American film to rally behind, Cladiator, which in truth was a weak film but had gotten some decent reviews and good box office. But there are many who still feel that it shouldnot have won, and CTHD should have.

As for my opinions..you are known for being very opinionated yourself, telinghow you want the script to be. I am not arguing for one actor or the other per se. I am making my RP conjections based on the fact that he is a longtime emmber of Guillermo's acting "family" and he thus he likely to end up somewhere. Regardless of whether we want it or not. It;s not favoritism--it;s the way he works.

hamlet
Rivendell

Nov 30 2009, 5:25pm

Post #29 of 60 (939 views)
Shortcut
Me too! [In reply to] Can't Post

I need some information! I'm still clinging to the December 8 announcement, but I'm a lot less optimistic than I was before. sigh. . .

almas_sparks
Rohan

Nov 30 2009, 5:25pm

Post #30 of 60 (991 views)
Shortcut
It is favorism [In reply to] Can't Post

if you don`t see if other actors can do better job but automatically assign your "family member", than it is favorism. And, no, I don`t think Perlman is a good choice for any major Hobbit character nor is Doug Jones. So, yes, I would like GDT to audition other actors and than decide whether his friend/family is more fitting.

Just an illustration. James Cameron and Lance Henricksen are friends since Pirrahna 2. So when Cameron wrote Terminator, he had Lance in mind for the Terminator role. He wanted someone who cna easily bland in. However, the studio urged him to see Arnie who got hold of the script and wanted the role to break the hero stereotype. Arnie had become a big name so Cameron had no choice. He dreaded the meeting because Arnie was everything that Terminator in the script wasn`t - a big dude that stands out. But once he met with the actor, Cameron realized that his concept was all wrong and that Arnie was the man. The rest is history. Henricksen landed the part of the police officer, instead. My point is that Cameron knew when friendship should not stand in the way of the art. I`m not arguing that Perlman isn`t Hellboy because he is. I`m just arguing that he isn`t Beorn or Bard or any othe rmajor characterand that Jones isn`t Tranduil or Bard or any other major character, and that the right actors should be cast in those roles.

(This post was edited by almas_sparks on Nov 30 2009, 5:25pm)

Eldorion
Gondor

Nov 30 2009, 5:34pm

Post #31 of 60 (937 views)
Shortcut
Plans change when stuff comes up [In reply to] Can't Post

Seriously, maybe they're just taking longer than they expected to write the script or some of their casting choices fell through. It's also possible the studios are stalling, but in the absence of other evidence I'm not going to jump to the conclusion that they are delaying The Hobbit for reasons of greed. Also, PJ has said they haven't gotten the green-light before so it's not like this just came out of the blue. Again though, sometimes projected dates don't work out because life happens. It's entirely possible that there are innocent reasons for the delay.

My cat takes after me:

almas_sparks
Rohan

Nov 30 2009, 5:39pm

Post #32 of 60 (926 views)
Shortcut
July is just an estimated beginning of production [In reply to] Can't Post

and it could start later than that.

As for artistic integrity, actors also drop from movies if they feel that the movie they signed up does not have enough of it. What goes through people`s minds is hard to figure out but it`s wrong to assume that just because someone is a movie star they choose projects on the basis of bigger = better and that so-called actor`s actors (whatever that means) only do passion projects. I assure you that passion has nothing to do with Sean Astin taking odd TV guest appearances. That`s all he can get. And I also doubt that Elijah Wood`s passon are voice overs in animated movies over acting in a live action. And Miranda Otto packed her bags, left LA and ran back to daddy to star in his movie. Nostalgia? Passion? Or no work in LA? All that has nothing to do with artistic integrity but with lack of work, amounting morgage and collector calls. Pure survival.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Nov 30 2009, 6:40pm

Post #33 of 60 (949 views)
Shortcut
Patience [In reply to] Can't Post

I chose to wait and see. I do not believe anything we say or do will change 1. When the Movies are made. 2. How the scripts are written. 3. Who gets cast and in what roles. Any assumptions made are made at the assumer's risk. It is not that I do not care. It is not that I do not enjoy the speculation and discussion. It is because I believe that most of this is in the hands of Peter Jackson and Guillermo DelToro. I trust them to win the right to make the movie they have envisioned. I hope it is completed in my lifetime and that I am able to receive this gift.

This is a big deal in the movie world. An untold fortune is to be gained. But first we must vanquish the spiders of Mirkwood.

Kangi Ska

Buchanicus
Lorien

Nov 30 2009, 7:43pm

Post #34 of 60 (904 views)
Shortcut
Am I the only one... [In reply to] Can't Post

Am I the only one who views "...start filming in the middle of next year" as a broad statement? I mean, April/May could be viewed as the "middle" of a year....or any month that falls in the 2nd or 3rd quarter for that matter.

TORn member formally known as ryan1976.

Tim
Tol Eressea

Nov 30 2009, 8:49pm

Post #35 of 60 (883 views)
Shortcut
Golly gosh darn willikers [In reply to] Can't Post

There's been like a bajillion Saw movies made, if that can happen so can The Hobbit I say.

Looks like it's time to make a few phone calls...

Shop smart! Shop... S Mart!

dennis.p
The Shire

Nov 30 2009, 8:52pm

Post #36 of 60 (876 views)
Shortcut
Another reason [In reply to] Can't Post

A few days ago, there was a link to a video interview in italian with PJ as he was promoting The Lovely Bones.
In this interview, he mentioned that he was feeling sad, that he would not be able to direct the Hobbit films, and this was more prominent as the script progressed.

Could the delay be that he's trying to clear up his calendar and take back the reigns?
The only reason i bring this up, is because Peter was always very clear that he did not want to do it, he didn't want to compete with himself - trying to best the amazing trilogy.
And he wanted to se another directors vision of middle earth. This would facilitate at least some of his wishes.
However what he says in the italian interview, kinda puzzles me as it seems like a turn in PJ's opinion, and it seemed very honest, as if he almost forgot it was a interview...

It's weird that nobody brought it up when it was first published on the web...

what do you think, am i way off?

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Nov 30 2009, 9:28pm

Post #37 of 60 (922 views)
Shortcut
Inconceivable [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe that this will not happen short of GDT quitting. If all that I have heard, seen and read about Peter Jackson is true. He is an honorable man. This would be breaking a promise big time. I could foresee the possibility of him regretting the decision and I would expect that the suits might put pressure in that direction but I truly believe he would not go along. However I can see him directing parts as Barry Osbourn and a couple others did with LotR.

Kangi Ska

Goldberry of the river
Lorien

Nov 30 2009, 9:48pm

Post #38 of 60 (883 views)
Shortcut
I'm so disappointed [In reply to] Can't Post

This means we're going to have to wait even longer for the first film to be released doesn't it?? :(

Brian Blessed for Thorin!

PettyMim
Rivendell

Nov 30 2009, 9:54pm

Post #39 of 60 (846 views)
Shortcut
Me too [In reply to] Can't Post

its's quite tiring being so excited about a film so far off! If we din't get some positive, meaty news about this project soon I'll probably burst like a balloon!

Goldberry of the river
Lorien

Nov 30 2009, 10:24pm

Post #40 of 60 (833 views)
Shortcut
I'm TRYING to be patient [In reply to] Can't Post

and distract myself with other Tokien-esque things like Born of Hope which is released tomorrow (yay!), planning to make my own Thorin (or Thror??) map (does it have a proper name?can't remember) and looking forward to seeing TH stage play in Feb but it's no use. I too feel like I may burst like a balloon!!!Crazy I was so excited when I heard about the Dec 8th "announcement", "At last!!" I thought, but now I see that it was probably just a carrot being waved infront of us to keep the buzz going. Or to be positive, it really could have been a good announcement but then the situation with MGM changed and now nothing can be said. Oh dear. *sigh*

Brian Blessed for Thorin!

Theodred
Lorien

Nov 30 2009, 11:31pm

Post #41 of 60 (862 views)
Shortcut
So, if shooting will start three months later, [In reply to] Can't Post

it will also end three months later, when The Hobbit 1 is still to be released in December 2011. Thus when they have finished shooting The Hobbit,they have less time to add the special effects and the computer generated images like Gollum and Smaug. That could mean this could have an influence on the quality of the CGI if they have less time to add it, so maybe we will then have a less impressive Smaug, less impressive special effects, which could downgrade The Hobbit to a mediocre movie, or is this a too pessimistic thought?

Kristin Thompson
Rohan

Nov 30 2009, 11:40pm

Post #42 of 60 (867 views)
Shortcut
I doubt PJ would direct [In reply to] Can't Post

He says near the end of the Italian interview, "I'm due to write and direct the second Tintin movie. Fran and I will look at doing that script, probably 2010, ... once The Hobbit's up and running." (I couldn't catch what he said right after "2010." Can anyone figure it out?) Peter has mentioned Tintin occasionally in interviews as a series he has loved since childhood, and it's clearly a project he's committed to. It sounds to me as if he's assuming that Guillermo will direct The Hobbit and he will move on to Tintin II.

olipowell
Bree

Dec 1 2009, 12:58am

Post #43 of 60 (773 views)
Shortcut
I agree with everything you're saying [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm really just playing devils advocate at this point. believe me I know how it all works as I'm an actor myself here in London. You think there arent jobs in LA - well try London! My point was really that, if GDT & PJ already have a very specific actor in mind to play Bilbo I think they would def be prepared ro push filming back a few months in order to secure him if he is already due to work on another project in Jan-Apr. Obv most films only shoot for between 3-12 weeks. Big films like the Hobbit are really the exception here filming for a yr. Once the actor was free he'd then have as long as it then takes to shoot...The artistic integrity comes in to play if a) GDT & PJ are prepared to just go elsewhere if an actor is already mid filming or occupied and b) would an actor just drop projects, potentially ones they've long been assigned to and researching, working on etc to be invovled in the Hobbit. I think that one depends purely on the actor. Since most of the actors involved are already going to have some film kudos they arent the in the league like myself where we just take jobs wherever possible. Tough times, tough industry aside not everyone takes jobs for the sake of it.

Intrigued by this article http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2009/11/30/the-hobbit-production-could-begin-by-mid-2010-and-casting-is-moving-forward/
Espesh at the bottom where it says CD have already been appointed in London & LA. Interesting since no greenlight. But obv at this point it would seem greenlighting really is just a formality. I'm going to get on to my contact at Weta and see if I can find out the UK Casting Director and then get my agent all over it!

Eldorion
Gondor

Dec 1 2009, 1:46am

Post #44 of 60 (744 views)
Shortcut
Very encouraging about the green light [In reply to] Can't Post

I've long suspected that no studios in their right minds would pass up on the chance to film The Hobbit, but it's nice to know with more certainty now that the green light is just a formality and shouldn't pose any problem.

My cat takes after me:

Growlithe the Grey
Rivendell

Dec 1 2009, 7:24am

Post #45 of 60 (784 views)
Shortcut
The frustrating thing - not knowing [In reply to] Can't Post

I see a lot of people worried about a possible delay, casting issues, or these other, more speculative things like the studio not liking the script, demanding changes, demanding 3D, or other out-there possibilities with no basis whatsoever, but it's all just baseless speculation. Movies have their timetables changed all the time during this stage of pre-production. The dates given for the potential start of filming were nothing more than projections or speculations. Nothing was ever set in stone, and as such, there are always different issues that can crop up along the way to change the scheduling of a film.

The most frustrating aspect of all this is that nobody involved in the Hobbit project will give a simple straight answer as to what exactly is going on. All we have are occasional quips through the media from PJ and sometimes Guillermo to the media or on here. WB won't say what's going on, and they're the ones with the ability to confirm or deny the status best. If we just had a straightforward "here's the status" from someone - be it Guillermo, PJ, or the studio - this wouldn't be such a big deal, but all we've gotten are vague statements and ambiguous reports.

Bottom line is that, sure, people have a right to worry, but what really bothers me personally is that none of the people controlling the fate of this film will step up and say anything to the fan community. Guillermo is only in a position to say so much - it's not really up to him when production begins or what resources will be at his disposal. But the fans are the ones that will be lining the sh...ire out of the producers' and studio's pockets, so I think it's fair that they at least give us a status update, even if that status update says "we're still in the process of sorting out budgets and therefore project is still up in the air."

Things sounded imminent at one time, and we've spent the past several months hearing the exact same "news" being repeated - that casting announcements are around the bend, that the script is finished or almost finished, that the ball is in the studio's court, that a greenlight is on its way, etc. I'm not mad at anyone involved in the project, but I'm a bit peeved at the situation in general. If I had the money, I'd overfund this project right now, give PJ whatever he wants, and watch the dollars come in like mad. The sooner you pump in the money, the sooner you get it back - and then some. This project is a huge cash cow... between the films themselves both domestically and overseas, and with the eventual DVD, Blu-Ray, and inevitible extended edition releases, the Hobbit franchise will be overflowing with money. So whoever or whatever is holding up production - unless it's for reasons of creative integrity - isn't playing it smart right now.

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Dec 1 2009, 7:51am

Post #46 of 60 (779 views)
Shortcut
A couple of thoughts [In reply to] Can't Post

Directors, like people in many other professions, like to work with people they know and trust.

Spending a year together making a movie is a big job that requires intense interaction and a close, even an intimate working environment. (I know you all know all this, I am just laying my thoughts out. )

GDT has his vision of the characters, obviously (or so I imagine) discussed with those co-writing the script. I have no way of knowing what GDT's vision is but if it should include Ron P. or Doug J., it really doesn't matter what I think or what you think. It probably matters very little what the studio thinks either if the Executive Producer (PJ) and GDT agree on such casting choices.

But beyond having GDT's vision of the right person for the part, RP and DJ are people he knows from past experience. They are known quantities regarding work ethic, professionalism, physicality, ablity to work rugged hours in taxing make-up or environments, temperment on set, working on special effects films and so on.

With a giant two-movie production, hundreds of millions of dollars, years of working together in front of them and great familiarity, GDT may favor them for certain roles. However, if he doesn't think they are right, they wouldn't get a sniff at a part in the first place.

So, yes, it is favoritism but who can blame people for wanting who they think is best for the part? They only obligation they have is to make the best film they can which means following their own vision and has little to do with being fair.

I do appreciate opposing viewpoints though and it wouldn't be such an interesting message board if everybody loved RP or DJ. I happen to and hope to see them. If it were up to me, RP would be Thorin.

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

sticklebat
Lorien

Dec 1 2009, 8:55am

Post #47 of 60 (725 views)
Shortcut
I doubt very, very much... [In reply to] Can't Post

that the special effects for The Hobbit would suffer because of anything as trivial or tedious as a time constraint...
merely going on the kind of conditions, circumstances, and pressure they were faced with the first time around...they will get the job done...and done well...
otherwise, what's the point of releasing something mediocre and substandard compared to LOTR?

I just don't see this team, with this level of talent & dedication letting that happen to a story they hold so near & dear to their hearts...
if they did...they KNOW they'd be letting down a lot of people...the studio for one, themselves...(but who really matters?) the fans...namely...us.
they'd be embarrassed to put their names & reputations on it, after the world wide praise and success of their previous endeavors.

Smaug is gonna be big, bad & awesome....count on it....Evil

Tri duath telich na estel lin...a si gerich naid bain anirach.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 1 2009, 10:03am

Post #48 of 60 (765 views)
Shortcut
And, of course, GdT isn't the first one to do this. [In reply to] Can't Post

How many Alfred Hitchcock movies have Jimmy Stewart in them? Adam Sandler is another one who has a "family" of players he invites back again and again. In this case, it really does make sense to cast people who are know to be up for the challenge.

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

dormouse
Half-elven

Dec 1 2009, 1:19pm

Post #49 of 60 (700 views)
Shortcut
Too pessimistic.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I think, and hope. If you look back at the LotR appendix DVDs, especially for RotK, the digital special effects for the original films were created under the most impossible time pressure and they still left us all speechless. I don't doubt the skills of the creative people working on The Hobbit, even under pressure, or their desire to go beyond what they've achieved already.

I just wish we knew something for sure..... Unimpressed

the_Big_X
The Shire

Dec 1 2009, 1:40pm

Post #50 of 60 (752 views)
Shortcut
I'm kind of holding on to all hope here, so...... [In reply to] Can't Post

Is there any other confirmation of this besides one single translation from an obscure German site?

The Midnight Gang's Assembled...

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.