Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
'Flight to the Ford' - The Great East Road film location changes hands ...

Elven
Valinor

Nov 26 2009, 9:17pm

Post #1 of 12 (642 views)
Shortcut
'Flight to the Ford' - The Great East Road film location changes hands ... Can't Post

Wandering along on my tour yesterday I went to Tarras, NZ - on the farm location which was used in the Fellowship of the Ring as part of The Great East Road, and where Arwen rode with the Wraiths on her tail trying to get Frodo to Lothlorien.
As I stood outside the farmers fence taking photos and trying to see where they may have shot some sscenes, a car drove past and slowed - nothing unusual - then 2 minutes later the car returned and the 'new owner' of the farm (I'll call him Mr. B) asked was I looking for the place where they filmed LOTR. I certainly was!
I mentioned I was on a tour and a big fan of the films. I was invited to then go onto the farm to the location and take some photos, and after a bit of a chat was told that the trees along the fence - where the filming was done - will be knocked down soon to make way for cattle, as some of the trees are very old, and the farmer will need to regenerate that part of the farm. So that location soon - not sure exactly when - will not look like it did in the film much longer. Part of the Great East Road will be no more, but there are some very similar areas in that patch which give the GER feel.

I took plenty of photos - maybe 50-60, and some video as well. There are smooth tracks through the pine grove still, and its still a very recognizable area.
I will upload them when I get back home.

Just thought I'd share that bit of 'exclusive' news with my sibs.

Cheers
Elven x

Swishtail.

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Avatar: Liberace - The other Lord of the Rings.

Quote of The Week: The thing is I always write in the morning, and I know that if I go to the Net I wonít write ... you can start in the most scholarly website and end up at Paris Hilton dot com .. GdT

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 27 2009, 4:28am

Post #2 of 12 (470 views)
Shortcut
A friend unlooked-for! [In reply to] Can't Post

That was very nice of him, to give you permission to take so many pictures, and to chat with you about the farm!

It's sad to hear about the trees having to be removed, but being the owner he must see to the farm's maintenance, and do what is best.

Where are you off to, next?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

And back again
Rivendell

Nov 27 2009, 7:46am

Post #3 of 12 (448 views)
Shortcut
I've been there, too [In reply to] Can't Post

In 2003, we stopped the bus there and most of the people entered the land there without permission. Just a handful of us didn't. But even from the road the scenery was recognisable.

I love watching the films even more these days as they are basically a video of 'where I went on my holidays'. The ultimate home movie. And I got Peter Jackson to film it for me. Nice.

I will go there ... and back again.

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 27 2009, 7:50am

Post #4 of 12 (479 views)
Shortcut
Good timing [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad he was friendly towards you.
Great to have an Elven exclusive!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 29 2009, 1:04am

Post #5 of 12 (440 views)
Shortcut
Oh... but, why? [In reply to] Can't Post

I understand it's a working farm/ranch/location... but how sad he couldn't feel the benefit of takig care of the land. But, that said, how generous of him to give you such a great opportunity to visit before it's lost :) WOW! I'm so tickled that you've had so many wonderful encounters and visits with the locations :D This is so exciting!!!!

Thanks for do so many pictures. Don't hold back! Bring 'em on!! :D

Cheers, Elven!!

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 29 2009, 3:30am

Post #6 of 12 (440 views)
Shortcut
It's likely [In reply to] Can't Post

the trees were planted for eventual harvesting. Pine grows fast here and is an export crop.

Right now the price for milk is increasing so the farmer may well consider it a better option to expand (or start developing) his dairy farm rather than planting a new swathe of pines.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Elven
Valinor

Dec 3 2009, 11:21pm

Post #7 of 12 (412 views)
Shortcut
Good and just points there ... [In reply to] Can't Post

but the trees along the fenceline are more used for breakers than as a plantation - Mr B said the trees at one end of the farm along the fence are old (which they are) and are now just falling apart - there are signs that there has been some lopping and some effort to clean up the area a little, but its old grey wood now and it looks a bit dangerous for live stock to be wandering through. He will leave some of the younger trees there, but this will significantly reduce the length of the run along the fence with the trees.
Inside the fence perimiter there is an open paddock up to the house - its very large and flat, and needs some work to get it back into condition for grazing. And there are rabbit holes and warrens EVERYWHERE! As I walked along under the trees, you can see them - Im not sure the ground is that safe off the tracks for vehicles and livestock. I said to Mr B he has bought a farm of 'pelt & pinecones' - which got a laugh out of him, and he agreed.
So some pine trees will remain, but many will not.
It was very beautiful wandering under those trees where the pine needles were untouched and carpeted the ground - it looked as if no one had been there for years. In the sun you can hear the pine cones 'crack' and open a little - and a soft breeze running through the grove. I could have stayed longer just to soak up the feel of the place.

and gramma, Im home now and I downloaded some pictures last night - and am sorting them as we speak ... 3 days into ME and one disc has 550 photos ... Shocked large format Crazy. I'll be as quick as I can to get some up and running to you all Smile

Cheers
Elven x

Swishtail.

Quote of The Week: The thing is I always write in the morning, and I know that if I go to the Net I wonít write ... you can start in the most scholarly website and end up at Paris Hilton dot com .. GdT

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 3 2009, 11:59pm

Post #8 of 12 (418 views)
Shortcut
I bow to Ataahua and your wisdom [In reply to] Can't Post

and it really does make sense to care for the trees by clearing the dead/dangerous ones :) It does make sense.

Oh goodie!! PICTURES!! I'm going to be pm'ing you in a few weeks about specifics on your trip. Where you stayed, how much it cost and such. I... *twitch* I... uh... bought my plane ticket to NZ. I'm so nervous and thrilled!! I found a 1-week special price/promotion on the NZ Air flights that saved me at least $500... so I had to jump on it! I'm flying out from LA on March 16... which is my 58th birthday... and I've got seat #58A... a window seat so I can watch the world change from RL to M-e. ;) Seat #58A there... and back again :D

My ears are ringing from my head spinning and heart racing!!

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 4 2009, 12:08am

Post #9 of 12 (412 views)
Shortcut
Good for you! [In reply to] Can't Post

Well done gramma! You will have such a ball down here.

Elven: Sorry, I didn't pick up that these were boundary/shelter-belt type trees - for some reason I was imagining the tree farm that Arwen rode through to escape the Black Riders. Yes, even grand old trees have their use-by date for safety.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Elven
Valinor

Dec 5 2009, 12:16am

Post #10 of 12 (418 views)
Shortcut
Im getting my blog together ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I have 2000 odd pictures and all I can do is look at them with tears of joy - such a great time! But, its going to be impossible to just put a few up, so I have journalled the trip and will be putting in all the little bits of info like car rentals and hotels, costs, things I found ...
I followed Ian Brodies LOTR Guide Book, so really its like a story of my travels page by page of the book - my poor book is now a little tatttered but was my best guide and companion throughout - I did not make 2 locations though, and this is the best excuse I have to go back, and it looks like this will be early next year. I have already made arrangements (tentatively) with a great Hotel in Wellington to stay as soon as the Premiere of the Hobbit is announced as well - as soon as I have this up and running I will post a link and pm you gramma.

Cheers
Elven x

Swishtail.

weaver
Half-elven

Dec 5 2009, 12:29am

Post #11 of 12 (394 views)
Shortcut
good, because I want to see those pictures too! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have Ian Brodie's guide -- reading it is as close as I'll get to a trip to NZ, so if you post your photos, I'd love to be able to see more of the places he covers. Whenever you are ready to unveil them, do let us know!

Weaver

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 5 2009, 1:17am

Post #12 of 12 (442 views)
Shortcut
I can't WAIT!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

To see your pictures and hear your story, that is! Wow, Elven... and you've even got your Wellington Premier plans? Good on you, m'dear!!

I've already got lots of things marked in my Ian Brodie book; but my plans changed recently, so I'll only be staying for 5 days. I'm going to plant myself in Wellington and see what happens. My greatest hope is to visit Hobbiton. I'm hoping the set isn't closed when I get there *chin quivers* I'm also counting on visiting Weta's Cave and anything else available at Stonestreet, Wingnut, and the rest of that filmic dynasty :)

I'm so grateful and geeked that you're giving us everything about your trip. I will DEFINITELY be pouring over it for input, fersher... but mostly... MOSTLY I want to share your adventure. I want to go on that walk with you and get lost in your story. Thanks so much, Elven. I'm so excited!

Take your time, have fun developing it, and let it grow organically so you sit back... smile... and love how it is :)

*warm hug*

sample

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.